PDA

View Full Version : *Spoilers* Unofficial historical inaccuracies thread

InfectedNation
11-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Firstly, this isn't a complaint thread to Ubisoft. I understand that they need to maintain some level of creative control by not sticking to textbooks 100%.
I've just made this thread so that those of us who are interested in the story vs history to identify historical inaccuracies throughout the game.

Now I'm British and in school we learnt very little American history, never even touched on the Revolutionary War, so I know very little about the time period. But I'll start:

Charles Lee appeared to be portrayed very differently to how he is documented, eg: Violence and calling Connor's people savages despite marrying a kanienkehaka woman and having children with her in reality. Also his death was in Monmouth rather than Philadelphia.

LilyasAvalon
11-14-2012, 03:08 PM
I take issues with Aveline's age. D<

She's 30 by the time Liberations is finished and STILL hasn't married, assassin or not, she's still a merchant daughter and most were expected to have been in their first marriage by 18 at the latest.

InfectedNation
11-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Hmmm you have a point, maybe her father told people she was married to cover up for her?
I haven't played Liberation so I wouldn't know.. but I've looked up the plot summary on the wiki.

kuled2012
11-14-2012, 04:38 PM
'nothing is true'

mashroot
11-14-2012, 09:38 PM
'nothing is true'

LOL! Well said!

RatonhnhakeFan
11-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Lee portrayal was the one thing I noticed since I researched him a lot before the game released. It's especially jarring considering that the developers clearly based Ratonhnhaké:ton on Lee's children. Same time & place of birth, same racial background. Frankly, the way the story is constructed, they could easily throw Haytham out of the story and just have Lee be his father.

LilyasAvalon
11-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Lee portrayal was the one thing I noticed since I researched him a lot before the game released. It's especially jarring considering that the developers clearly based Ratonhnhaké:ton on Lee's children. Same time & place of birth, same racial background. Frankly, the way the story is constructed, they could easily throw Haytham out of the story and just have Lee be his father.

I was actually totally expecting this to be perfectly honest.

Gianavel
11-15-2012, 03:27 PM
My peeve regarding accuracy isn't so much historical in context, but has to do with Connor's bow. For one thing, you're not supposed to leave a bow strung all the time. Now, granted, it needs to remain strung so that he can quickly use it in combat, and in theory he's only taking it out with him when either goes on a mission or hunting, so it makes some sense for it to remain strung within the context of the game. But wearing it over his body like he does is even worse for the bow. The bowstring would stretch, the bow itself would lose power and its structural integrity would weaken. At the very least it should be hung on the quiver.