PDA

View Full Version : [Spoilers] Anyone feel Connor was schizophrenic in his Patriot vs. British support

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Okay,

Overall, I think Ubisoft did a semi-decent job in supporting the British perspective of the war. Shaun, at the very least, gets to nicely dovetail into a lot of the things about the Founding Fathers we take for granted here in the States such as slavery or the fact Washington had a real hate-on for the First Peoples. However, the game mechanics and mechanics are a lot less palatable because they go out of their way to put you on the side of the Patriots at every opportunity.

* Connor throws tea.
* Connor goes on the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere.
* Connor at Bunker Hill.

Usually, these are justified as Connor is after Pitcairn or Johnson but some of these are pretty **** flimsy. For example, the Aquila missions are flat-out ridiculously Pro-Patriot and if Connor was an actual historical figure, he'd have colleges named after him and probably a couple of Naval Bases like John Paul Jones. Then there's the forts, which are arguably the least substantiated part of the game.

Is this just Connor's hobby? Taking forts for the Continentals? I mean they don't even provide the justification the Templars are involved. I mean, it's FUNNY when I'm having my 14 year old Connor taking 4 forts from the British in the Frontier but I'm not sure the war has actually begun yet. Couldn't Connor have simply taken Templar forts and handed them over to the Assassins? There were plenty of non-american targets Ubisoft could have given us on the Aquila at least. Barbary pirates, Regular Pirates, French Templars, and so on.

As an American I wouldn't have minded a story about Connor being a Revolutionary who was disillusioned during/after the war but the whole, "Connor hates Templars, not the English" seems like a lie.

RadialNoah
11-14-2012, 01:34 PM
Connor fights for the greater good, and the colonist were the greater good. The Brittish were being ran by Templars. And honestly? Why would Ubisoft have Connor be fighting for the losing side? Even being British why would you care when you were the oppressers. And considering their main audience is American... Why would they have the American Revolution setting... But have Connor siding with the British? I mean honestly lol? Derp.

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Connor fights for the greater good, and the colonist were the greater good. The Brittish were being ran by Templars. And honestly? Why would Ubisoft have Connor be fighting for the losing side? Even being British why would you care when you were the oppressers. And considering their main audience is American... Why would they have the American Revolution setting... But have Connor siding with the British? I mean honestly lol? Derp.

Actually, that's sort of my point.

If we're going to have a player on the side of the Continentals, by all means do that. When I was young and thought anime was cool, there was a series about a samurai who was a revolutionary and found out it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

If we're going to have Conner completely neutral, actually have him be neutral. I don't think any American but the most crazy radical is going to be upset at a Mohawk Indian not having the slightest interest in who wins the Revolution.

Instead, the whole thing feels like Conner is pretending to be neutral while actually doing more for the Revolution on the sea than John Paul Jones.

It's weird because they have all the makings for a neutral Connor. Charles Lee is a Patriot General, Johnson is a neutral party, Hickman is a traitorous Continenal, Pitcairin is a loyalist,and Haytham is a made up character. I mean, it wouldn't take much to balance things for a neutral playthrough.

Neither would going all out Rebel.

twenty_glyphs
11-14-2012, 04:15 PM

At no point does the game say that the British are run by the Templars. Quite the opposite, in fact, since most of the Templars are actually helping the Patriots and trying to replace George Washington with Charles Lee because they think Washington is a terrible general and will lose the war for independence. Haytham said himself the British Crown was out of touch or something like that. So basically, you get the Assassins and the Templars supporting the Patriots for most of the game. Now, you'd be forgiven for not knowing this since the story basically glosses over everything and we don't really know what the Templars' actual goal is.

Another point is that most of the Assassin missions you can send your recruits on are about supporting the Patriots. There's very little about the Assassins and Templars within the text of those missions. Contrast that to the Brotherhood and Revelations missions, where at least the mission descriptions gave you the sense that you were helping the Assassins prevent the Templars from gaining control in multiple regions of the world. These pointless missions just feel like Connor is directing his 6 recruits to fight in the war on the side of the Patriots.

It's all just so disjointed and ill-defined. If he's going to fight for the Patriots, at least have that be the actual story motivation and have it be to stop the Templars from attaining their goal. If he's going to be neutral, he should actually be neutral and not going out of his way to protect the Continental Army Commander in Chief and going all the way down to the Caribbean just to get some supplies for the Patriot Army.

InfectedNation
11-14-2012, 04:30 PM
This is why I preferred the Liberation missions as side content because they were about helping the people of the cities, not winning the war for one side. Especially as the Redcoats are replaced with Patriots after the story is over.. so you're fighting Patriots who serve Templars if you do not liberate all districts by the end of the game.

Gianavel
11-14-2012, 05:46 PM
Connor sided with the Patriots, at least in the beginning of the war, because he believed they were fighting for freedom - something that he believed in. Freedom, after all, is the major tennant of the Assassins. This was easy for him to do, because the first few Templars he went after were either profiting from the actions of the British (Johnson - which is a big reason as to why he helped with the tea), or were outright British soldiers - a la Pitcairn. If you remember, he had a few arguments with Achillies over this. Achillies knew the Assassins shouldn't take sides, but Connor was young and impressionable. As Connor got older and the war continued, he began to see the faults in the Patriots - and that Templars had infiltrated their side, as well.

As for the forts, technically they were being controlled by the Templars - who happened to be British officers. Kill off the officer, blow up the powder, and the British happily surrendered th fort.

zhengyingli
11-14-2012, 08:39 PM
As for the forts, technically they were being controlled by the Templars - who happened to be British officers. Kill off the officer, blow up the powder, and the British happily surrendered th fort.
I have no problems with the forts except that they opened up too soon. They could've limit our access to it until Connor becomes enamored with the Patriot cause. As for him being a schizo, I think broadening persepctive is a more appropriate description. Gianavel has described more than enough than I could. Just to add, Connor has never believed himself to be affiliated with the group, just that his actions benefit both him and the Patriots very early on. Or so he thought.

BoltActions
11-16-2012, 08:41 AM
I think Conner fights for his people first and foremost, other things come secondary. I agree with the OP, though. The game does put you in a pro-patriot stance. I think the only time it doesn't is when Conner has to protect his village from the patriots, kills the messengers, and subdues warriors from his village who were egged on by Charles Lee. There's only a few bad patriots too, Lee and Biddle are the only I can remember.

I remember early on, some time last year, I think the devs said something about Conner playing both sides, seeing both the good and ugly sides of the British and Patriots.

Ariego1990
11-16-2012, 09:34 AM
I think Connor was helping the patriots only because he could get his targets that way. In my perspective, the patriots further tricked Connor into helping them (slightly refering to[SPOILERS] Washington accepting Connors help so he can save his village, and then ordering an attack on it)

lightlamp
11-17-2012, 12:30 AM
If anyone says Connor is neutral they obviously have not liberated a fort....

Gianavel
11-17-2012, 12:42 AM
The forts were controlled by Templars - who were using the British army to achieve their goals.

I think that, after the end of war, the soldiers in the forts that hadn't been liberated should have been replaced with blue coats. You'd still have to liberate it, as it would still be controlled by the Templars (they'd just be using a different army to accomplish their goals). Of course, it's entirely possible that happens, and I just don't know about it, as I liberated all the forts before the end of the war.

A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
11-17-2012, 02:00 AM
The one MAJOR constant throughout the game is that Connor doesn't like the British. At no point is he "neutral". Yeah, he doesn't like WASHINGTON at the end, but there's not a point where he is against the Patriots.

TrueAssassin77
11-17-2012, 02:01 AM
maybe he was original neutral in some scenes, but they got cut out?

A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
11-17-2012, 02:08 AM
maybe he was original neutral in some scenes, but they got cut out?

Maybe. I just know that he wasn't as neutral as Ubisoft and everyone on here was saying. Yeah, he kills bluecoats when he's forced too, but he was very anti-British in this game. He was so pro-Patriots, because he believes in the Patriot cause. That's why he automatically assumed that the Templars were on the side of the British, because he thought that this was the Templars' move to try to keep order and control.

Charles_Phipps
11-17-2012, 02:15 AM
Hell, Conner is schizophrenic in his hatred in other areas too. It's kind of difficult to muster much emotional satisfaction for Connor's killing of Charles Lee given he is irrationally hateful of a man who has never actually done anything to him.

TrueAssassin77
11-17-2012, 02:17 AM
we are all in agreement? they did a horrible job of making connor neutral.

connor says throughout the game, he doesn't care about their war... but actions speak louder than words. and his actions supported the patriots in everyway. only the last like 2 hours even put him remotely close to being neutral,