PDA

View Full Version : [spoilers] Assassin's Creed 3 - a HUGE, GLITCH FILLED let down...

Edge0fSanity
11-14-2012, 06:51 AM
First, I should comment that I've seen the posts by people who haven't played, or haven't played through previous games, and the ire that comes from purists who despise their ignorant input. So, I'll say that I played through the game, reaching 90%+ on every AC game so far. I loved the game/series up until now, and I'm really feeling very, very slighted by this recent contribution by Ubisoft. Here's why:

I was drawn to the first games like I'm guessing everyone else - thinking, "How awesome would it be to kill people, then disappear into the crowd, over, and over again?", and I was extremely satisfied. Not only did the game mix assassinating a target with covert precision, but it also provided items and weapons that tiered up as you went through the game, and even allowing access to new areas through those new items and skills (a la Metroid and Castlevania). Progressive play is absent in this game.. the items you'd collect previously to unlock new items and areas (via Da Vinci, etc) now only unlock items that sit on a shelf in your home and have zero impact on your play. The weapons that appear in the stores have no progression to them, and are all available in every location - and they allllllll suck; Rope darts and hidden blade are all you need to get through the game.
I loved how in the original games, each area you were in and trying to fight your way through would have puzzle-like qualities to it. The best stages were the ones tied into the order itself, and would unlock things such as better armor and skins, etc. Now, the only areas that require any thought are the Tunnels, and even they are extremely linear with no challenge whatsoever.
UBISOFT has taken all of the thought and history out of the game and replaced it with a grind without purpose.

Some will challenge and say that the combat is much more challenging, which.. sure, fine... they made a slight improvement - but the thrill was never in the combat itself. Hell, 90% of my kills are silent and covert; they're quick stabs from behind, then I hide. So who cares? And in the rare occasion when I have fought a group, when I turn to loot the bodies, they disappear in glitches. Oh, and the glitches... that's something else altogether.

Besides corpses disappearing on screen, enemies will also appear out of nowhere - center screen. When I'm free-running along a fence, my character will get stuck on a post, and no amount of button combinations will move him or get him off of it... I have to reload from the last Checkpoint. My weapon selections constantly change to different settings when I change maps (They keep putting the gun back on the top selection when I never, ever use it). The items I buy (mainly bait and snares) disappear 5 minutes after I've bought them - just gone. There are countless tears in images (just watch Connor's leg when he has a club or axe hanging from his side in the load screens); My favorite glitch is when Connor is in the prisoner cart/transport.. and the view is from the inside/back of the cart, yet there's a shoulder of a man in the foreground like he stepped in front of the camera.

While I applaud the Naval Missions, the tree-running, and the snow (things that actually went flawlessly), they were really the ONLY thing that worked correctly 100% of the time. It's like Ubisoft spent a majority of their development time on the new ideas and got yelled at to stop screwing around and to get a product to market. Besides those new innovations, the whole game screams "RUSHED PRODUCT".

And while the story is good, the amount of cultural tie ins, especially when compared to the other game, is seriously lacking. They automatically give you the locations in the database just by walking by them - there is no effort to find iconic buildings. The fact that the Masons supposedly were highly ingenuitive and would have been building SO much during this period is completely ignored. Philadelphia should have gotten a HUGE chunk of attention on the level of Boston, with New York falling in far behind them. Bring back the puzzle levels, the developing city, or hey.. here's an idea: DON'T LET A GAME GET RELEASED BEFORE IT'S POLISHED AND PERFECTED.

So yeah, in summary.. loved the new items that they DID polish, and the new engine has promise and better graphics, but... they killed/dumbed down the best parts of the game. This is easily, EASILY the worst game in the franchise because of the things they took out, combined with the endless supply of glitches.

Ubisoft, I want my money (and time) back.

leedev
11-14-2012, 08:15 AM
My favorite glitch so far happened when conner was getting ready to get hanged. Some guy out of the crowd stood in his way during a cutscene and he just walked trough the guy.

The climbing thing doesn't really work for me, especially when climbing the viewpoint trees. Often Conner just ignores the next branch and jumps off the tree, sometimes even ending in a suicidal jump.

...and of course the AC classic is still there, when running away or chasing someone suddenly the main character decides to jump up a wall or fence and just hang there. Obviously losing the target or distance to those chasing you.

Edge0fSanity
11-14-2012, 09:56 AM
lol... yeah, I laughed my *** of for the hanging scene as well. It says a lot about the quality of the game when a CUTSCENES are so filled with glitches.

Matty7Ice
11-14-2012, 10:24 AM
The climbing thing doesn't really work for me, especially when climbing the viewpoint trees. Often Conner just ignores the next branch and jumps off the tree, sometimes even ending in a suicidal jump.
Use only R1 and the directional button to climb trees with PS3. Pissed me off too but I figured it.

DON'T LET A GAME GET RELEASED BEFORE IT'S POLISHED AND PERFECTED.
I think they did a good job overall. I just missed some of the things they left out that I cannot control and one of those things is the ambient music.

Most of the gameplay is in the forest and not the city as previous and I think this is why many people are pissed off at the game. Maybe they are lonely.

zhengyingli
11-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Use only R1 and the directional button to climb trees with PS3. Pissed me off too but I figured it.

I think they did a good job overall. I just missed some of the things they left out that I cannot control and one of those things is the ambient music.

Most of the gameplay is in the forest and not the city as previous and I think this is why many people are pissed off at the game. Maybe they are lonely.
Not that I'm lonely, but I do miss tall buildings. Having a blast with the Frontier, though. There's really no convincing those who flat out dislike the setting ever since it was announced.

ElGuybrush
11-14-2012, 11:06 AM
For me it's the part where I can never hear the main character and all cinematics are totally silent that really makes me regret this purchase, should've waited for a few months and got it used, or on steam christmas sale. As is, it's unplayable for me.

I'm on a 360 and I've tried **** near everything. First time it ran, most of the sound was there. I saved, turned off the 360, and now no matter what I do there is no dialogue.

gothpunkboy89
11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
" Progressive play is absent in this game.. the items you'd collect previously to unlock new items and areas (via Da Vinci, etc) now only unlock items that sit on a shelf in your home and have zero impact on your play. The weapons that appear in the stores have no progression to them, and are all available in every location - and they allllllll suck; Rope darts and hidden blade are all you need to get through the game. "

Yes but the weapons that you can craft at your homestead are much better. Like the War Tomahawk that you craft at homestead is one of the best ones in the game. The Royal Double Flint Lock Pistol is also one of the best as well. Having both good long and short range and allowing you to fire twice before need to reload. With the ability to upgrade total shot you can carry by crafting the shot pouches and by crafting the double holster you can shoot up to 4 people before need to reload and not worry about running out of shot any time soon.

Also you can craft a pouch that allows you to refill your arrows from your horse. Which is perfect when you are out on the frontier hunting using a bow. But most of the really good weapons you get from crafting on your homestead. And all of them needing you to do the Homestead missions to get the artisans and level them up. The fact you didn't mention this showed you skipped this part. Which is your own fault.

"UBISOFT has taken all of the thought and history out of the game and replaced it with a grind without purpose"

Well personally those places like the puzzle areas from other games took no thought to it. They were linear only one direction that was shown to you. They were a grind to me. Given the bonuses of the fast travel allowing you to instantly from any were you are travel to the fast points on the maps. The extra little grind work of unlocking them via the underground is understandable.

"And while the story is good, the amount of cultural tie ins, especially when compared to the other game, is seriously lacking. They automatically give you the locations in the database just by walking by them - there is no effort to find iconic buildings. The fact that the Masons supposedly were highly ingenuitive and would have been building SO much during this period is completely ignored. Philadelphia should have gotten a HUGE chunk of attention on the level of Boston, with New York falling in far behind them. Bring back the puzzle levels, the developing city, or hey.. here's an idea: DON'T LET A GAME GET RELEASED BEFORE IT'S POLISHED AND PERFECTED. "

How was that any different then the other AC games. You walk by an area and you unlock a fact about it. Don't you remember AC2 during the tour of Venice with Da Vinci. You walk by like 4 land marks and the select option pops up for you to view info about it. Hell any game you got the info on iconic building just simply by walking past them. I have no idea what went in your head at this post because you seem to be forgetting about 3 AC games were this was how it went for AC2, ACB, ACR. You walk near or on an iconic building and it showed up on your map in a darker outline and you got the option to view info from Shaun about it.

The entire underground is by the Masons. So yea there is that big call out to them. How about you name a few Mason's things in those cities that they skipped over rather then just saying they did. There were not puzzle levels in AC games. All they were are linear climbing games. It hand holds you from one stage to the next giving you only one possible trail to finish the level and let you get what ever special item is at the end. At this point you are just trying to make stuff up to continue your anti Ubi rant.

Flying-Tempest
11-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Protagonist: ACII is still top dog IMHO. Ezio's scene with Christina in ACB was surprisngly touching. ACIII did nothing for me. Connor doesn't deserve the Assassin robes he's too much of an ingrate and a know it all. He annoyed me more than anything, and lacks what it takes to be an assassin...after what we saw Altair and Ezio go through

Controls: Remapped to make it feel "new" and is a real annoyance. The controls were oversimplified and I no longer feel in control of the assassin.

Story: Oh God was it boring! The Desmond end sequence could have been more detailed. I mean this was Desmonds swan song and this is how they ended it?

Characters: Not one soul was interesting, I didn't get a sense of loss when he killed his friend, because the reason for his killing him seemed stupid.
Haytham should have been the final boss to kill and not Lee, so Haythams death felt anti-climactic and stupid considering how he aided his father earlier.
The only thing that did it for me is the moment that Lee and Connor shared at the Tavern right before he killed Lee. I thought that was pretty awesome.
Otherwise, Connor was an absolute bore and so were the rest of the characters. (Except for Haytham)

Gameplay: Decent, however the naval gameplay blew my effing mind out. Simply astonishing. Horse riding got screwed up somehow despite being smooth in AC1 and ACB

Missions: Probably the most poorly constructed and most annoying I have ever played on an AC game. The stupid hearing missions which were scrapped after AC1 were brought back for reasons unf***known, all I can remeber is chasing and hearing nothing else stands out.

Graphics: Definitely a step up, with the occasional bug/glitch here and there

Multiplayer: Just doesn't feel fun anymore, stun/kill on one button? seriously?

Sequels are supposed to one up their predecessors on all fronts. Ubisoft worked hard but in the wrong direction, they went for change and I applaud their risk but it didn't work for me. I'm ranting coz I'm out$60 and not satisfied with the franchise.

Next time I'll wait for the reviews before I buy the next AC. I've lost faith in the franchise after ACR and now ACIII.

kuled2012
11-14-2012, 01:27 PM
the glitches are nothing a patch should fix which is soon apparently.

pacmanate
11-14-2012, 01:27 PM
If you want your money back, please go back to your retailer. Returns only possible if the game is unopened.

OH WAIT. LOLZ.

LightRey
11-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Oh wow! You must be the first person ever to make an entire thread about your own opinion!

Edge0fSanity
11-15-2012, 06:02 AM
"
Yes but the weapons that you can craft at your homestead are much better. Like the War Tomahawk that you craft at homestead is one of the best ones in the game. The Royal Double Flint Lock Pistol is also one of the best as well. Having both good long and short range and allowing you to fire twice before need to reload. With the ability to upgrade total shot you can carry by crafting the shot pouches and by crafting the double holster you can shoot up to 4 people before need to reload and not worry about running out of shot any time soon.

Also you can craft a pouch that allows you to refill your arrows from your horse. Which is perfect when you are out on the frontier hunting using a bow. But most of the really good weapons you get from crafting on your homestead. And all of them needing you to do the Homestead missions to get the artisans and level them up. The fact you didn't mention this showed you skipped this part. Which is your own fault.

I didn't skip that part. I fact, I have 100% of the Homestead completed. But all of those weapons are pointless. Why use a gun and hatchet when you can use Rope Darts, Arrows, and Assassin's Blade? My point was that none of the weapons you earn UNLOCK any stages or areas previously that were previously inaccessible, such as the Hookshot did. THERE IS ZERO POINT to grinding out The Homestead missions. And the fact you admitted someone could completely play through the game without doing them proves my point.

Well personally those places like the puzzle areas from other games took no thought to it. They were linear only one direction that was shown to you. They were a grind to me. Given the bonuses of the fast travel allowing you to instantly from any were you are travel to the fast points on the maps. The extra little grind work of unlocking them via the underground is understandable.

Those puzzle areas weren't exactly linear... you had to look around and piece through how to do the rooms. It was a HUGE part of the previous games. Fast Travel was accessible in the previous games with the sewers, and my issue isn't the grinding it out to unlock them.. It's more that (besides the treasure map levels) it was the only instance of a puzzle, or having to really take in your surroundings.

How was that any different then the other AC games. ... ... You walk by like 4 land marks and the select option pops up for you to view info about it. Hell any game you got the info on iconic building just simply by walking past them. I have no idea what went in your head at this post because you seem to be forgetting about 3 AC games were this was how it went for AC2, ACB, ACR. You walk near or on an iconic building and it showed up on your map in a darker outline and you got the option to view info from Shaun about it.

You said it yourself. You'd walk by, and you would be given the option to view the information on the building, thereby adding it to the Animus Database. You would also get creit for viewing all of the buildings, giving you a reason to take the city and its culture to mind. With AC3, it gives you credit and adds it to the database just for walking by it; If you don't take the time to stop and read the animus database, you'll have no realization of the history you're walking through.

The entire underground is by the Masons. So yea there is that big call out to them. How about you name a few Mason's things in those cities that they skipped over rather then just saying they did. There were not puzzle levels in AC games. All they were are linear climbing games. It hand holds you from one stage to the next giving you only one possible trail to finish the level and let you get what ever special item is at the end. At this point you are just trying to make stuff up to continue your anti Ubi rant.

For the Masons, you're right.. I can't name things off the top of my head that they've done. I'm guessing that has a little bit to do with the whole 'secret society' thing. But you can't deny that they are known to have been highly ingenuitive and creative. To represent them with only dirty underground tunnels kind of sells them short.. especially when the game designers could have incorporated them into the game and the cities sooo easily. It could have given them a path for real creative license. There could have been more passages,rooms or buildings (finished off with a tinge more grandeur - they're Masons after-all)... or take the inventions you discover and create, they all could have been used it in a way to advance the game or story. And again, as you said, you'd get that 'special item' at the end of each level... and it would usually unlock more areas of the game for you to explore. As it is now, this game requires no thought, purpose, or reward to bring you from one action of the game to the next.

And I'm not anti Ubisoft.. If anything, the fact I've bought most of their games since Beyond Good and Evil would suggest I support them more than anything. But a big part of supporting and respecting someone and/or who they stand (or stood) for is having the honesty to tell them when they've lost their way.

zhengyingli
11-15-2012, 10:07 AM
I didn't skip that part. I fact, I have 100% of the Homestead completed. But all of those weapons are pointless. Why use a gun and hatchet when you can use Rope Darts, Arrows, and Assassin's Blade? My point was that none of the weapons you earn UNLOCK any stages or areas previously that were previously inaccessible, such as the Hookshot did. THERE IS ZERO POINT to grinding out The Homestead missions. And the fact you admitted someone could completely play through the game without doing them proves my point.

Sounds like you want a Zelda/Metroid/Darksiders style game. Items/weapons, by your definition, has always been useless. You can storm through any AC game without purchasing anything with the exception of the ones that were forced on you via tutorial. If you're criticizing the entire series, cool. If you're just singling ACIII, what's your deal?

zerocooll21
11-15-2012, 01:58 PM
I for sure thought they'd tie in something with the Freemason logo and how its close to the Assassin one. Shame that fell on its face.

zhengyingli
11-16-2012, 02:14 AM
I for sure thought they'd tie in something with the Freemason logo and how its close to the Assassin one. Shame that fell on its face.

It didn't fall on its face as much as they never attempted to explain it.

Silent Running5
11-16-2012, 03:05 AM
My biggest problem with the game was the glitches. I say was, cause I've put the game up on a shelf till they release the patch, which is soon I hope. For a game that was released after a three year development period, It has way to many bugs. And this has really soured me against buying a Ubisofts game at release.

As a side note, this has started to become a trend with today's gaming market. More and more games is released with a massive amount of bugs, this is only guessing on my part, but it seems likely they have done a study showing that PPL will buy the games with all the bugs, and is also willing to wait for a patch to fix them.
If AC 3 is part of the trend. its worrisome, over two weeks after release with no fix patch. I would think a good number of PPL will have finished the game by the time the patch does come out.

Oh well, as long as PPL is willing to fork over cash for unfinished games, the company's will keep pumping them out.

Iamsosobad
11-16-2012, 04:12 AM
This game just has so much wasted potential. So much going on during this time period that they failed to explore (Freemasons!) So many characters that they failed to make interesting or entertaining. Then, on top of that, the cities felt lifeless and repetitive, the storyline felt lazy and dull, it was all just very...meh. The good things in the game were the ones that they revolved their ad campaigns around, like the Homestead, Naval Warfare, and frontier. Otherwise, it feels like they spent the majority of their efforts trying to make the game feel different than the other, which they succeeded in doing, but not in a good way. It was all just very disappointing to me.

devildog789
11-16-2012, 05:13 AM
I actually would have preferred Philadelphia over New York. During that time, Philly played more of a role than NY. I mean other than housing the continental congress and the place where the Declaration of Independence was signed, it only served as the capital of the United States. Being from New England, I'm appealed Philadelphia didn't get as much attention as it should have.

I really would have preferred more interactions with the free Masons. Especially since there is that legend of the Masons being Templars.