PDA

View Full Version : Not so stealthy AC3 losing some features?

D3M0NMUFF1N
11-14-2012, 06:12 AM
Before I start let me say that the new AC3 is utterly amazing. I enjoy the crafting system and the only thing that could make it better would be auto purchase of raw materials. Anyways, thats not what im here to talk about. The original idea of the assassin's guild was that they were stealthy and came with hidden weapons. They were meant to be stealthy and during the time of the first two AC's, the robes fit perfectly. During that time it was even normal to carry a dagger or adorned blade with you when you went places, fitting for altar, who came across as a traveler possibly a person making a religious trip, and Ezio, who, being of nobility, could wear slightly flashy robes and fit in normally in his environments. However, now the new guy is still wearing the old robes, and in that time if you saw a grown Native American walking through the streets with robes and covered in plainly open weapons, its surrising that you arent permanently suspicious. Connor really kinda needed a different look that would still feel like the assassins robes while fitting the time. it was a nice try to put together a military vest with the robes, but its still too obvious whereas connors dad can fit into any situation without sticking out as more than an officer. I also rather miss the armor system from the AC2 trilogy. I understand why they might want to get rid of it, as it doesnt fit the time period either, but it gave you some other money uses beyond upgrading the ship and making a few items through crafting. ( I personally invest most of my money in bear pelts or the ship because weapon upgrades are rare and now we are just crafting them) This is just my opinion and I will probably never check this post again. Enjoy getting all angry at my post just because Im feeling nostalgic.

BATISTABUS
11-14-2012, 06:24 AM
Welcome to the forums.

Connor's outfit stood out just as much (if not less) than Ezio's. People always use the argument that he was a noble and they wore stuff like that, but they didn't. Even if they did, that's not an outfit you'd forget. Social Stealth post-AC1 didn't come form being confused as someone else, but instead not being seen at all. Ezio and Connor, when they decide to be, are hidden in crowds of people or completely out of sight (in haystacks or on roofs). They wear such flashy outfits because they want to be recognized as Assassins by Templars. As for armor, it didn't exist in the same way during Colonial times.

On a side note, the only addition I think that needs to be made to stealth (besides minor polishing) is a sound-detection system. If you murder an enemy in a less than sneaky way and they scream or you fire a gun, other enemies should hear you.

Aphex_Tim
11-14-2012, 07:02 AM
Welcome to the forums.
If you murder an enemy in a less than sneaky way and they scream or you fire a gun, other enemies should hear you.

They do.

BATISTABUS
11-14-2012, 07:16 AM
They do.
But how advanced is it? I honestly haven't experimented with it much in AC3, but in ACR there was no consequence to shooting a guard in a cave as long as he wasn't in a group. Even if it does exist in AC3 in some way, I'd like there to be an indicator on the HUD over the map or something showing the radius from which your sound can be detected.

WarlockDLX
11-14-2012, 07:51 AM
I think the game lost a lot. It IS "Assassins" creed, yet for some reason I cant recall more than a few actual assassination missions. The rest was a bunch of poorly choreographed action scenes and a few badly designed infiltration assignments and some strange "time waster" type missions salt and peppered throughout the game (like the ride of Paul Revere, to name one off hand). The game felt like they were just giving you a tour of the games features. Find some weak excuses to put you into various forms of battle and action to show off some of the new mechanics, and then call it quits. Half the game was played as one character, and by the time you got control of the actual protagonist, the game was nearly over. It really feels like Ubisoft spent all their time making the game engine as the next generation of what AC will be for the next 2 or 3 titles, and just threw the characters and story in at the end to make the product quickly marketable. Was this there actual intent? Dunno.. but its how it feels to me. Perhaps its the choice of the revolutionary war scene that makes it feel that way. Not sure they can really take it anywhere after this game (not going to spoil it) but assuming they do, I wouldnt be utterly shocked if the next installment put us in the civil war era. That would be interesting. No battles at sea though, so I dont know how they would figure that into it, but the period would have quite a bit of meat to chew through and certainly more than the revolutionary war did.

All in all, I stand firm in that the games only value is in the multiplayer. Some argue that since brotherhood, AC has always been more about the multi, but I enjoyed the campaign just as much if not more than the multi in ACB and ACR, but I find myself hard pressed to do anything at all in AC3... ive completed the game twice so far just to get a better feel for things and do some more exploring, but so much of it is so convoluted. My 2nd run through I went almost to the end and still hadnt had all the homestead people pop up for missions to acquire them. Not enough fun stuff to do in between the main missions and utilizing the extras like the merchant system is more of a pain in the *** than its worth IMO. Suffice to say, im just sorely disappointed in AC3 all around, save for the multi.

zhengyingli
11-14-2012, 08:07 AM
But how advanced is it? I honestly haven't experimented with it much in AC3, but in ACR there was no consequence to shooting a guard in a cave as long as he wasn't in a group. Even if it does exist in AC3 in some way, I'd like there to be an indicator on the HUD over the map or something showing the radius from which your sound can be detected.
I shot a pistol at some rooftop guards, and patrols located at least one block away just started shooting me off the roof, whereas in Revelations, the most the guards right underneath me would do after Ezio fired the hidden gun was an yellow arrow appearing on his head. So yeah, definitely more advanced. I'll have to try if guards two blocks away would react the same way.