PDA

View Full Version : homestead

xbox360gamer89
11-12-2012, 09:20 PM
am i the only who thinks the homestead missions are a bit dull

kriegerdesgottes
11-12-2012, 09:21 PM
I like the homestead missions. They give you a chance to actually get to know the artisan characters and see a more human side of Connor and it adds to the game. It also ties into the crafting system which I kind of like.

Dieinthedark
11-12-2012, 09:25 PM
I'd be thrilled to be able to play them! I'm in sequence 9 and all that's shown up for me ANYWHERE are the required lumber worker and the huntress. So yes, I can only craft barrels at this point and I'm more than halfway through the story. Pisses me off

kriegerdesgottes
11-12-2012, 09:26 PM
I'd be thrilled to be able to play them! I'm in sequence 9 and all that's shown up for me ANYWHERE are the required lumber worker and the huntress. So yes, I can only craft barrels at this point and I'm more than halfway through the story. Pisses me off

Have you checked in Boston and New York and the frontier? They show up there as well.

Gianavel
11-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I rather like the Homestead missions. I'll even wander around my Homestead, listening to their random conversations...

LightRey
11-12-2012, 10:41 PM
There is something wrong with your game and/or save, because the others should've shown up long ago.

gothpunkboy89
11-12-2012, 10:49 PM
Homesteads are fun. It shows the human aspect of the game. Not just the run up behind and stab someone in the back part.

Plus as you do missions you unlock more crafing ability. Like the ability to create a ship convoy. Which is nice because I buy 10 Bear skins for like 1 or 2k from huntress. Then I send convoy by boat for 12k profit.

Plus all the nice pouch upgrades and better weapons like the Double Barreled Royal Pistol.

Plus even after beating the game just walking though the homestead makes it feel like a real place. Watching people interact with each other, hearing conversations they have, it makes it feel like a real place to live. Not like Montegirioni were it was more just some place to show up and collect cash.

Dieinthedark
11-13-2012, 12:39 AM
There is something wrong with your game and/or save, because the others should've shown up long ago.
I think it's safe to take your response as true before support answers me lol! Do you suppose the patch will fix this? My hard drive crashed on my first play through as I got to seq 6, so that was one restart. I'm REALLY hoping I don't have to restart it again for them to work.

Kaschra
11-13-2012, 12:48 AM
The homestead missions are one of my fave parts about this game... and I like the Homestead characters more than most of the important characters :I

xbox360gamer89
11-15-2012, 03:21 PM
yes they are fun norris just annoys me

ProdiGurl
11-15-2012, 05:41 PM
I love the Homestead missions too. They're just perfect to break up the game & add a little spice as you go along.
I don't always want long, drawn out missions, these are usually quick & fun with variety. Love it. :D

RatonhnhakeFan
11-15-2012, 05:43 PM
They're great but there's just too many of them. 30+. It simply feels tiring after a while, just like 30+ assassination contracts in AC2 felt. Half should've been turned into missions in Ratonhnhaké:ton's village instead.

Assassin_M
11-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Homestead missions dull and boring ? Hell, if there`s any Side Quest they got right in this game, It`s the Homestead quests..

They change pace, have lots of Variety, lots of people, emotional events and they really build Connor as a Character..

But I guess, that`s not how you perceive it.. It`s all Stabby Stabby Slice for you

RatonhnhakeFan
11-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Hell, if there`s any Side Quest they got right in this game, It`s the Homestead quests..What about naval missions & Kidd's treasure? I thought they were just fantastic, the right amount, the right variety and a very fresh gameplay

Assassin_M
11-15-2012, 06:13 PM
What about naval missions & Kidd's treasure? I thought they were just fantastic, the right amount, the right variety and a very fresh gameplay
I do not consider the Naval portion a side. It`s too big..

Also, The Kidd Treasure missions fall under the secret location category, which is something excellently presented in past games and here as well..

The Homestead quests are new. They`v never been done before.

In short, The Homestead is the best "New" Side quest

RatonhnhakeFan
11-15-2012, 06:14 PM
I do not consider the Naval portion a side. It`s too big..They are side missions though. Even if you exclude Biddle's story, you still have 12 Privateer Contracts.

Assassin_M
11-15-2012, 06:22 PM
They are side missions though. Even if you exclude Biddle's story, you still have 12 Privateer Contracts.
I Know...Those are "Naval side missions" That`s why I do not consider the entirety of the Naval portion a side quest..

But I liked the Homestead side quest more than any other Side mission..

jhohn160
11-15-2012, 07:03 PM
I actually LOVE the implementation of the Homestead. It was one of the few additions made in this game that progressed the series. It is hardly perfect in its execution, but the premise is awesome.

Obvious problems - The lay out as a WHOLE. There should not be a certain way to go about accomplishing the Headstead missions. Doing one before another should not jeopardize your ability to complete any other tasks. The Homestead needs to be looked at as an entity in itself that plays a role in the larger picture. I never got the feeling that it actually impacted my ability to complete any tasks or objectives. It was an awesome IDEA but the implementation was lacking - which is to be expected.

You should be able to progress the Homestead at YOUR convenience/choice. I'm typically the type to do most optional missions/tasks BEFORE progressing in the story mode. Reward players like this - allow them to completely build the homestead prior to moving forward with the game if they so choose. I say this for 2 reasons. 1.) By the time I upgraded my artisans (which was as soon as I possibly could) and were able to sell expensive items, I had no use for the money. Therefore, the idea of recipes and crafting is awesome, but it kind of falls on deaf ears as its not relevant once the option is provided. And Crafting can be tedious. If it played a more relevant purpose in the game, it would be a Dwight Howard type slam dunk 2.) You could implement the recruiting of assassins here as well. Homegrown assassins, and everyone knows homegrown is the best :). The Homestead's progression would directly tie into the plot line and objectives of the protagonist. The more time/effort put into the homestead, the more benefits thus allowing the player to choose how to move forward.

I can't even imagine all of the possibilities here. The expansions on this aspect of the game are limitless and enjoyable to contemplate.

My suggestions and this is just the tip of the iceberg:

Allow specialization i.e. brewery, tool shop, specific gems etc. - allow your Homestead to hang its hat on something, rather than being decent at a million different items. This doesn't mean that you throw out the options on what to craft - quite the opposite. Keep all current options - obviously add as many as possible while remaining pertinent but give the OPTION to specialize in certain items. Create a 'brand', watch its demand & price rise as the Homestead improves. All I could think about was "I could be the real Yingling!!" (first official brewery in USA). I think this is also an upgrade as the economy has never been right in the AC series. You always had WAY more money than you could ever spend on anything, besides the minor upgrades to the Villa in 2. Let me make a lot of $ but make it relevant! I could use these large amounts on upgrading facilities, workers and/or the quality of items used in recepie.... It would be cool as **** to lay down 30 g's on a legit brew house that pumps out a good, in demand product.

Supply/demand relating to.... Weather (seasonal), political & social climate (times of war, peace etc). The game may already do this as I know the more you make of something the more expensive it becomes. A very scaled down version of S&D, I guess.

I think this is possible with a revamped system but keeping the premise. I would almost implement a 'Civilization' aspect in this regard but a much more simplified version but it would be a good system to review. If you could somehow mesh 'Civ' & 'AC' I would quit my job and gf effective immediately. I would also have 2 black labs for sale if anyone would be interested :) - lol.

Sorry for rambling. I'm sure I could have put together a more cohesive flow to this but I get excited thinking about this aspect of the game. I also understand the Homestead is not the premise of the game and some if my thoughts lead you to believe I want the entire AC series re-vamped - I don't - I just think expanding on this aspect is the direction the game will take, as it should. I would love to read thoughts or ideas on some of the possibilities for the Homestead.

Gianavel
11-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Some good ideas there, however, I don't agree with the idea of being able to completely max out the Homestead early in the game. It makes far more sense in the context of the story if the Homestead builds over time - like it does now.

Still, good ideas. The Homestead was a great addition to the series, and I hope we continue to see things like it in future AC games. It could use some tweaks though, and you've suggested some really good ones.

jhohn160
11-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Some good ideas there, however, I don't agree with the idea of being able to completely max out the Homestead early in the game. It makes far more sense in the context of the story if the Homestead builds over time - like it does now.

Still, good ideas. The Homestead was a great addition to the series, and I hope we continue to see things like it in future AC games. It could use some tweaks though, and you've suggested some really good ones.

Yea I didn't really mean completely max out but that is what I typed, so valid point and I agree with you. I thought the same thing when I re-read it. You would most likely need to unlock additional cities (ie Boston & NY) before you could completely max it out but there needs to be a better relation between Homestead and main story line progression.

zhengyingli
11-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Homestead missions dull and boring ? Hell, if there`s any Side Quest they got right in this game, It`s the Homestead quests..

They change pace, have lots of Variety, lots of people, emotional events and they really build Connor as a Character..

But I guess, that`s not how you perceive it.. It`s all Stabby Stabby Slice for you
This is where the game shows some ingenuity. In past AC games, or most open world games for that matter, there are always points in the story that the game forced you to do side-questy things in order to move the story. In THIS game, nothing unimportant was forced on you. The side-quests in this game are already better than what most other games', but I can do them on my on pace.

OmegaRomik
11-15-2012, 09:31 PM
I think there fun, do them for the extra pouches and stuff and just to complete delivery missions.

ProdiGurl
11-15-2012, 09:57 PM
This is where the game shows some ingenuity. In past AC games, or most open world games for that matter, there are always points in the story that the game forced you to do side-questy things in order to move the story. In THIS game, nothing unimportant was forced on you. The side-quests in this game are already better than what most other games', but I can do them on my on pace.

And thank God they aren't a bunch of fetch quests.

I think there fun, do them for the extra pouches and stuff and just to complete delivery missions.

pouches? Haven't come across that yet... and do you mean using the Trading / convoy system?
I used the land convoy 3 times & had to defend it twice - absolute blast with attacking/defending convoys.
:D

Calamityx51
11-15-2012, 10:34 PM
I loved the Homestead missions myself. It was such a nice little change of pace and made the homestead actually feel alive. It felt like an interesting progression up from just rebuilding cities IE ACB and ACR. That being said I also became very attached to pretty much everyone and it was a nice change to see Connor remotely relaxed (I laughed so much with his little comments during the pig chasing mission). If Ubi decides to take this idea and run with it in the series, I'll be pretty pleased.