PDA

View Full Version : Carrier ops - approaching

Latico
05-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Now here's an idea for realism in regard to carrier ops.

On the CV6.org site they have a few "Order of the day" documents that were posted during the war. Planes returning to the fleets had to approach a cerrtain way and then exchange signals with the carrier (with certain maneuvers) or the fleet would open fire on them.

I wonder if it would be possible to set up the carrier groups in this manner?

Latico
05-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Now here's an idea for realism in regard to carrier ops.

On the CV6.org site they have a few "Order of the day" documents that were posted during the war. Planes returning to the fleets had to approach a cerrtain way and then exchange signals with the carrier (with certain maneuvers) or the fleet would open fire on them.

I wonder if it would be possible to set up the carrier groups in this manner?

heywooood
05-10-2004, 10:59 PM
slide back the canopy.. give the woodchuck salute...wait for the reply from the carrier... (the happy Gilmore salute from lso)..proceed to final.

I'm sure BSS vidar will have good input to this thread.. As soon as I get teamspeak I am goint to get in line for carrier ops training with those guys. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Latico
05-10-2004, 11:37 PM
I may have to take him up on his invite too. When PF comes out I'll be very interested in hookoing up with a carreir based vertual AG.

heywooood
05-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Well of all the people that post here - he seems the most willing and knowledgeable about the carrier ops training...

BSS_Vidar
05-11-2004, 04:07 PM
No IFF (Information Friend or Foe) technology was available back then. But there was a earlier version of the Non-directional beacon used. For identifying a returning strike package, aircrews were given a specific bearing to fly inbound on when returning into the carriers airspace. Samething (although a bit more sufisticated now) is used today.
When I flew over Iraq back in the first war, were were given specific corridoors out of "Indian Country" to fly through after a strike so they knew who we were without radiating or transmitting.

S!

BSS_Vidar