PDA

View Full Version : Ubisoft, can we please get rid of the pointless stealth?

cannibalanimal
11-12-2012, 07:17 AM
First off, Ubisoft, great job on AC3. I haven't finished it, but I'm really enjoying it thus far.

I have one request for future installments in the series, though:

I understand that there are times where stealth makes sense in this game, from a plot perspective and a player strategy perspective. But can we please limit it to those places and not put it in totally unnecessary places where it adds nothing but frustration?

In particular, I'm thinking of the boat bit in Sequence 7, where one of the optional objectives that perfectionists like me have to go through is being stealthy on the boats that we're about to blow up. How in the world does this make sense? I'm going to kill every single person on board anyway, who cares if they see me shove a tomahawk through their skulls before doing so? I mean what are they going to do, get on their 18th century walkie-talkies and tell the other ship to run away before I blow it up? The stealth makes no sense there. A lot of the Da Vinci missions in 2 were the same way, only it wasn't even optional to be stealthy. If I shoot them with the crossbow it's okay if they die but if they see me for a second before I run them through the whole operation is ruined? I mean what are they, a bunch of telepaths? At least in Brotherhood we could get around it by just using recruits to kill everybody that got annoying (because public sword fights with guys that look exactly like Ezio are okay, but heaven forbid Ezio himself walks up and stabs them). In 3 we can't even use that cheap workaround!

This is not a stealth game, it is an action game with the occasional use of camouflage. Please put stealth in its proper place in future installments.

Assassin_M
11-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Not a stealth game ?? not a- a- MY HEART !!

Turul.
11-12-2012, 07:26 AM
It's actually a stealth/social stealth game, that has combat.

The games focus is more about having a nice long set up that takes time and whit, and then having perfect execution.

mind over matter.

though to a degree i understand your argument, sometimes the stealth feels forced.

pirate1802
11-12-2012, 08:10 AM
Shobhit would like to have a word with this guy xD

UrDeviant1
11-12-2012, 08:15 AM
I actually blew one of those boats up without even killing anyone. How's that for stealth!

Assassin_M
11-12-2012, 08:17 AM
I actually blew one of those boats up without even killing anyone. How's that for stealth!
Shobhit would be Proud :P

UrDeviant1
11-12-2012, 08:22 AM
Shobhit would be Proud :P

Awesome. *Pretends to know what/who Shobhit Is.*

Assassin_M
11-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Awesome. *Pretends to know what/who Shobhit Is.*
He`s a legend from Mumbai..

pirate1802
11-12-2012, 08:28 AM
Too bad he doesn't play on PC (or does he?) It would be an awesome experience to go against him in an MP match I imagine :P

blacklimoband
11-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Dude!!!! UROCK!!!

UrDeviant1
11-12-2012, 08:31 AM
Too bad he doesn't play on PC (or does he?) It would be an awesome experience to go against him in an MP match I imagine :P

I'd dread It. Too many people running around like It's Blops to get their 100pt kills!

UrDeviant1
11-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Dude!!!! UROCK!!!

xD...I know :nonchalance:

Dieinthedark
11-12-2012, 08:40 AM
He`s a legend from Mumbai..
And batman

pirate1802
11-12-2012, 08:49 AM
I'd dread It. Too many people running around like It's Blops to get their 100pt kills!

That is why I mostly play with friends, or with people who actually know they're not playing CoD -_-

savill81
11-12-2012, 09:20 AM

That was the boat on the right wasn't it, because i managed to do that as well, if it was the boat on the left, then sir i doff my hat to you and your great stealth ability *Check under his desk for UrDeviant1 and his hidden blades*

ProdiGurl
11-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Less stealth? I cannot wait to hear all the complaints when AC4 is released. :rolleyes:
I think with the amount of diversity in AC fan's preferences & expectations, Ubi is forced to provide a lot of variety. As it is, it looks like fans want to have a customized AC game that's all a series of choices to create a personalized game to their liking...
Anyways, I can see the point of some missions not having to use stealth & am fine with the suggestion, but I think stealth is a very important aspect of being an Assassin and should be a strong element in AC games.

Plus I personally love to to go off & have a little carnage fun - the convoys are great for that. It's a nice break. I notice so far that the Homestead side missions aren't stealth based.
So we do get that variety in AC3 - not sure if the other side missions are similar.

kuled2012
11-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Take out...Stealth!?!?! HELLO!! This is ASSASSIN'S creed...What the hell man!? As an assassin stealth is just..Standard. I've seen some stupid complaints on here but this one is just ridiculous..Wow

RyokuMC
11-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Your point make sense. I love stealth games but some of the opcional objectives are frustating pointless

(But I get te Perfecionist trophy)

BBALive
11-12-2012, 07:56 PM
They should be trying to improve the stealth, rather than removing it. It isn't a viable option right now, and can only be used in specific situations (pretty much when the game tells you to be stealthy, since the mission is designed to be that way).

Gianavel
11-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Asking to take stealth out of a stealth game is rather silly. However, I would like to see some nonlethal takedown abilities implemented for those missions when you're not supposed to kill people.

ze_topazio
11-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Stealth needs to be highly improved in future games.

ProdiGurl
11-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Asking to take stealth out of a stealth game is rather silly. However, I would like to see some nonlethal takedown abilities implemented for those missions when you're not supposed to kill people.

A good idea...they did that with the introduction of some of those bombs in ACR. Could have a knock-out dart....& what not.
I do worry if people want more stealth taken out in this game but if there's lots of missions, I wouldn't mind a few that I can just do something else in.
Variety's good.

Krayus Korianis
11-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Use fists. Get up behind them, Connor knocks them out by a sleeper hold.

Dieinthedark
11-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Stealth is a must but AC needs to focus on what it's pillars are instead of trying to please everyone. The fanbase is getting exceptionally large, perhaps too large.

luckyto
11-12-2012, 08:41 PM
The game has always been about BOTH. It's action and stealth/social. In AC1, you could tackle assassinations from both angles. Combat and fighting is a core gameplay element, as is freerunning (running away.) One could arguably say that it is more about combat/action than stealth. But in the spirit of the Original, it was balanced. AC2 was fairly balanced as well. It is definitely not a "stealth" game and never has been. It has a stealth mechanic.

ProdiGurl
11-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Stealth is a must but AC needs to focus on what it's pillars are instead of trying to please everyone. The fanbase is getting exceptionally large, perhaps too large.

Yep - diverse preferences & differences of opinion in AC styles. One change makes one group happy & others throw tantrums. What I've noticed is how many people want everything so customized to their liking... is that in other game forums or just this one?

I think one thing is for sure tho, it has to have less serious bugs/glitching. I think that unecessarily tainted things. :(

LoyalACFan
11-12-2012, 08:50 PM
I think everyone's jumping on this guy a bit unfairly. While yes, Assassin's Creed is supposed to be a stealth series, only the people who played it since the very beginning would know that. Overall, AC3 is NOT a stealthy game. The stealth aspect of AC has never been quite as intuitive as it should be, but it seems like with every new installment, it gets downplayed more and more. I know they have to have some action to appeal to the mass market, but the stealth does legitimately need to be improved. Right now, it almost feels like you're fighting the game itself when you try to be stealthy, and to be perfectly honest, it's just not an effective way to play. You could either sneak around until the conditions are just right to accomplish what you need to get done, or you could just murder everyone in sight and be done with your objective ten times faster. I'm not sure exactly what they need to do to improve it (although reworking the bow to make it NOT give away your position instantly would certainly be a step in the right direction) but it is extremely weak.

pacmanate
11-12-2012, 08:51 PM
One of the pillars is stealth..... YOUR IDEA IS STUPID

kriegerdesgottes
11-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Not a stealth game ?? not a- a- MY HEART !!

He's right it's not a stealth game. I'm so sick of people expecting AC to be all about stealth. It was NEVER meant to be all about stealth. The franchise is about freedom and playing a part in a scene like an actor or that's how Patrice used to put it. It's social stealth or playing the way you want to. I totally agree with the OP on this one.

luckyto
11-12-2012, 09:16 PM
If my memory is correct, you don't need to be stealthy in any of the missions in the original Assassin's Creed? Am I right?

vorenus73
11-12-2012, 09:20 PM
I've beaten every game in this series, played TONS of hours, and was pretty good at being undetected in the previous games. With this one, though, I dont know why but I feel like I am always getting caught somewhere. Maybe I am just out of practice? It seems so much easier to get detected in ACIII.

kriegerdesgottes
11-12-2012, 09:20 PM
If my memory is correct, you don't need to be stealthy in any of the missions in the original Assassin's Creed? Am I right?

You are right. The desynch garbage didn't exist in the first one. And it was better for it.

BBALive
11-12-2012, 09:44 PM
He's right it's not a stealth game. I'm so sick of people expecting AC to be all about stealth. It was NEVER meant to be all about stealth. The franchise is about freedom and playing a part in a scene like an actor or that's how Patrice used to put it. It's social stealth or playing the way you want to. I totally agree with the OP on this one.

Like you said, it's about playing the way you want to play.

They should remove desynch for being detected completely, and allow people to choose how they play, this includes stealth. At the moment, stealth is not a viable option, and it isn't that enjoyable. It's better in the Frontier due to the large amounts of tall grass the trees, but it's a chore in cities.

They need to stop limiting the players, and stop making the missions so linear. Mission design was one of the weakest aspects of AC3, in my opinion.

kriegerdesgottes
11-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Like you said, it's about playing the way you want to play.

They should remove desynch for being detected completely, and allow people to choose how they play, this includes stealth. At the moment, stealth is not a viable option, and it isn't that enjoyable. It's better in the Frontier due to the large amounts of tall grass the trees, but it's a chore in cities.

They need to stop limiting the players, and stop making the missions so linear. Mission design was one of the weakest aspects of AC3, in my opinion.

I agree although I would say Brotherhood was the worse about limiting player freedom. The desynch stuff needs to be removed all around and there need to be more options for players to play the way they want. Make the game so that there is always a stealthy approach and make it so that if someone wants to go in Rambo style they can but also need to be able to adapt to several guards wanting you to die. Desynching the player for not following strict rules goes against the entire point of the franchise.

Dieinthedark
11-12-2012, 10:04 PM
From a gameplay perspective it sounds nice to be able to let the player play the game however they feel like it, after all they bought it, play it how you want to! But on the other hand there has to be some sort of underlying foundation to the game. Social stealth is prevalent in ac but I feel that it isn't fully utilized because the game doesn't really reward it. I mean the combat is gorgeous as ever so naturally people are going to be drawn to that. If social stealth is more rewarding in terms of the overall objective or it better suits your means I think people would be fine with more stealth. But therein lies the problem, stealth doesn't really serve a purpose except as a pace changer. Forcing a desynch on the player just to change the pacing of the gameplay is, pardon my french, a half-***** excuse.

luckyto
11-12-2012, 10:30 PM
In the original AC, no stealth was required. This is what bothers me when people say AC is a social/stealth game and not an action game. It's original premise was more about action/combat with the option to be stealthy. Being stealthy just meant that the mission was easier to accomplish.

I agree although I would say Brotherhood was the worse about limiting player freedom. The desynch stuff needs to be removed all around and there need to be more options for players to play the way they want. Make the game so that there is always a stealthy approach and make it so that if someone wants to go in Rambo style they can but also need to be able to adapt to several guards wanting you to die. Desynching the player for not following strict rules goes against the entire point of the franchise.

It was horrible in Brotherhood. Some of those missions were ridiculous. And those were required objectives.

I will say, in AC3, the optional objectives have been the most difficult by far. But I'm OK with that. They are optional.

Bashilir
11-13-2012, 04:14 AM
In the original AC, no stealth was required. This is what bothers me when people say AC is a social/stealth game and not an action game. It's original premise was more about action/combat with the option to be stealthy. Being stealthy just meant that the mission was easier to accomplish.

It was horrible in Brotherhood. Some of those missions were ridiculous. And those were required objectives. One other thing, I'm positive the desynching is there because if Connor lived it as as stealth mission it makes sense for you to desynch by doing something Connor didnt do..

I will say, in AC3, the optional objectives have been the most difficult by far. But I'm OK with that. They are optional.

Well.. in the other ones, you either sat on a bench, went into a hay stack or stand in a crowd awkardly standing there. In AC3 you can do all those but, the stealth functions have been MUCH improved. Corner cover just oooh.... awesome. Plus, the cool things he does when blending at a market or other areas. I definitely think they put more emphasis on doing it how you want.