PDA

View Full Version : Connor's accent

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 05:47 AM
After starting the game the second time, I have noticed something interesting. Having heard Connor, Kaniehti:io and to a certain extent, Kanen'to:kon, these three seem to have a mainstream American accent. Are the devs giving us the impression that the Native Americans, in this game at least, were responsible for eventually passing the accents onto the colonists?

Assassin_M
11-12-2012, 06:08 AM
After starting the game the second time, I have noticed something interesting. Having heard Connor, Kaniehti:io and to a certain extent, Kanen'to:kon, these three seem to have a mainstream American accent. Are the devs giving us the impression that the Native Americans, in this game at least, were responsible for eventually passing the accents onto the colonists?
Yes..

Some of the influences on American English came from the Indigenous peoples. A good book to start reading about is Robert M. Pirsig's book "Lila" If you`v heard of it..

Interesting stuff there regarding that subject

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 06:19 AM
That's interesting. I thought after the lukewarm reception to Altair's accent in the original AC, the devs wouldn't pull a stunt like this again. At least this time around it's warranted as far as interpretation of speech from the period is concerned.

Caeser_of_Rome
11-12-2012, 06:22 AM
You also have to put into account that Connor is half English. Only Connors friend sounds non-Indian to me. You know all Indians didn't have the deep voice of the Chief.

Assassin_M
11-12-2012, 06:22 AM
That's interesting. I thought after the lukewarm reception to Altair's accent in the original AC, the devs wouldn't pull a stunt like this again. At least this time around it's warranted as far as interpretation of speech from the period is concerned.
Trust me. There were people complaining about Connor`s accent back in June;)

Not the Devs` fault some people do not read..

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Trust me. There were people complaining about Connor`s accent back in June;)

Not the Devs` fault some people do not read..

Actually, can you give me a link to that interview/article mentioning that accent? I went dark right after E3, so have minimal knowledge of the development cycle.

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 06:32 AM
You also have to put into account that Connor is half English. Only Connors friend sounds non-Indian to me. You know all Indians didn't have the deep voice of the Chief.
I think you're either being stereotypical of Native Americans or that you thought just because I'm Chinese I only saw stereotypes of Native Americans, lol. Accents and voice ranges are different things, and I was asking about the former.

Assassin_M
11-12-2012, 06:33 AM
Actually, can you give me a link to that interview/article mentioning that accent? I went dark right after E3, so have minimal knowledge of the development cycle.
It was not an Interview. Someone made a thread here (Or posted in an existing thread) about how Connor`s Accent was "Incorrect"

Sadly, though... The search function is not very helpful here. So looking for that specific thread (keeping in mind that I`m not even sure if it`s a separate thread) It`d be like searching for a needle in a Haystack..

Turul.
11-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Ezio's accent wasn't very accurate, he was more spanish sounding than italian IMO

AssassinVenice
11-12-2012, 06:55 AM
The way Connor expresses himself is very linked to the Native American side of him, not the English one.
It's the same as if you were raised in an English-speaking country and then went to learn speaking Chinese, for example. You would start "translating" from English to Chinese, sounding and expressing yourself very differently from the Chinese people.
I went through it not once, but twice now, and I think it'll happen a few more times... :)

Black_Widow9
11-12-2012, 06:56 AM
IMO Connor doesn't have a mainstream American accent.

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Ezio's accent wasn't very accurate, he was more spanish sounding than italian IMO

Well, Roger Craig Smith did start with an Antonio Banderas accent and worked on getting his accent closer to Italian. At least, based on an interview.

EDIT:

The way Connor expresses himself is very linked to the Native American side of him, not the English one.
It's the same as if you were raised in an English-speaking country and then went to learn speaking Chinese, for example. You would start "translating" from English to Chinese, sounding and expressing yourself very differently from the Chinese people.
I went through it not once, but twice now, and I think it'll happen a few more times... :)
Gotcha. Been through that experience once, myself. Totally understand Connor's situation, now.

Turul.
11-12-2012, 07:27 AM
IMO Connor doesn't have a mainstream American accent.

sounds pretty native to me. *shrugs*

zhengyingli
11-12-2012, 09:35 AM
Yes..
A good book to start reading about is Robert M. Pirsig's book "Lila" If you`v heard of it..

Thanks for the suggestion.