PDA

View Full Version : Juno, Minerva, Desmond and Pivots (SPOILERS!)

MCRMJ
11-12-2012, 01:50 AM
So, the end of the game. Going from having pure cliffhangers at the end of 1-3, then the obvious one at the end of ACR (despite the odd message from Jupiter), the ending of AC3 has me scratching my head more than any of the others.

Some of it doesn't make sense in the context of the whole ending, rather than on a what's coming next basis. I understand the conversation with Minerva and the implications of history repeating itself. What I don't understand is Juno. Specifically, how does she, as Minerva say 'lives in these walls'? If she does, as alluded to in the explanations of the work they had done to combat the solar flare, then how exactly does she exact her revenge on humanity?

Then there's the point that Juno makes about humanity ending when Desmond touches the pedestal. "It will happen in an instant, there will be no pain" yet obviously, she creates some sort of field and prevents the end of the world (it also seems odd that in arguing with Minerva, she mentions "What freedom, this world has known nothing but heartbreak since we left it" which would indicate she has some care for the world surviving).

I'm loathe to compare the ending of this game with another game ending in 3 this year and though the situation is different (outcome was never going to be dictated by personal choices in AC3) and the ending more satisfying than ME3, a few more months work could have completed things a bit tighter.

I can't help feeling that the end was somewhat rushed. It's like they knew they had to end things on some levels but leave enough wriggle room to continue the series later. They had backed themselves into a corner with the whole 21/12/12 date and having to have it conclude before the date expired in real life. But in doing so introduced some huge questionsthat could have been avoided and yet left the huge 'omg what happens now' intact.

Desmond is dead. So why let us continue in the Animus for the Epilogue/post game. Also, introducing a character taking to whoever is reliving Connor after Demonds death was a strange move, as was the comments about the pivots once you collect them all and upload to the cloud. Showing Junos last words after Desmonds death (these all give those theories about someone viewing Desmond through an Animus something to go at unfortunately) was also an odd move.

I dunno, I just feel some things don't make much sense but not in the same way as the other games in the series. As with that other game, the main character is dead. So if there is another Connor game planned, they are going to have to come up with a convincing reason for someone relive him. Combating Juno wouldn't work, as his contact would have ended after he hid the key. Abstergo/Animus ala online or Liberation could work, though what reason would they have to do this (if they even know about Connor).

Ubisoft knew a lot was riding on AC3 and as much as I love the series and this instalment, a lot of it leaves a lot to be desired and that is such a shame and missed opportunity.

naran6142
11-12-2012, 02:39 AM
Well honestly I think they could have made the ending better if they had put more story stuff in ACR... to relieve some of the pressure from AC3

Muskeato
11-12-2012, 03:25 AM
Some of it doesn't make sense in the context of the whole ending, rather than on a what's coming next basis. I understand the conversation with Minerva and the implications of history repeating itself. What I don't understand is Juno. Specifically, how does she, as Minerva say 'lives in these walls'? If she does, as alluded to in the explanations of the work they had done to combat the solar flare, then how exactly does she exact her revenge on humanity?

Then there's the point that Juno makes about humanity ending when Desmond touches the pedestal. "It will happen in an instant, there will be no pain" yet obviously, she creates some sort of field and prevents the end of the world (it also seems odd that in arguing with Minerva, she mentions "What freedom, this world has known nothing but heartbreak since we left it" which would indicate she has some care for the world surviving).

They're both speaking to Desmond from the past. My understanding is that Juno is alive, in the Great Temple, in the past. Touching the thing at the end gives her the power to do pretty much anything, so I assumed she came into the present at that point to exact her revenge. When Juno says "It will happen in an instant, there will be no pain", she's referring to Desmond's death, not humanity's. My understanding is she intends to enslave humanity in the present.

Even if my understanding of the ending is correct it still reeks of weirdness and a lack of sense. I have no idea who the voices are talking about pivots and what's going on there.