PDA

View Full Version : Do ubisoft devs always lie when talking about features of the game?

marcoreus99
11-11-2012, 07:29 PM
Just some of the feature in the game that devs said during interviews but never made appearance in the final game:

- Lakes will be frozen during winter and will open new path for Connor to explore. Truth: never seen any frozen lake in the game
- Civilians will react towards the change of weather (eg. taking shelter when it rains) and streets will be more empty at night. Truth: streets at night are the same as daytime and civilians even walk happily under the rain and thunder
- Random missions and events as we free roam around the city. Truth: no random events (only certain mission like liberation mission) and we have to go to the mission giver instead of them coming to us.
- We will be able to explore the whole eastern coast with aquila (naval free roam). Truth: no naval free roam
- Every civilians will have different activities and move from one activity to another. Truth: only happen at homestead. In cities, civilians keep repeating what they always do

IMO most of the times they lie about features that they said are in the game but actually they are not even in the game at all. Developer teams that i respect the most is AC1 and AC2 devs because they never lied about any feature and most of the features that they said in interviews/dev diary were in the game. After those 2 games, new devs came in and they stated a lot of false info of the upcoming games. They made it sound incredible and made people believe that the game was gonna be awesome but once the game came out it didn't live up to the expectation and many promised features were missing.

Assassin_M
11-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Bottom Line.. Yes They do.... Everyone does.. Its not something "Ubi-exclusive"

Add canoeing there too..

There is nothing we can do about it, sadly.. I`v no problem with removing things, but actually tell me before I waste my time running around cities looking for random events.. Tell me "Hey remember that bit we showed you ? Its gone" And do it before release.. not 5 days after..

I`ll have a VERY hard time believing ANYTHING they say again..

Jexx21
11-11-2012, 07:36 PM
All devs do.

And a lot of stuff was cut in AC1 that they said were in.

TlNSTAAFL
11-11-2012, 07:36 PM
They need so many patch's in this game!!! D=

KemistiOMG
11-11-2012, 07:41 PM
what if they just teased us and will add those things in future updates and dlc's :confused:

Kaimooo
11-11-2012, 07:44 PM
what if they just teased us and will add those things in future updates and dlc's :confused:

I hope they do but I highly doubt that

R.T-Shanks
11-11-2012, 07:45 PM
This is probably the top reason why I try to keep a media black-out on new games before they actually come out. Things talked about sometimes don't make it in although I'm sure they never said anything about Naval free roaming. It was more along the lines of open naval missions but in the end it wasn't even all that open.

Jexx21
11-11-2012, 07:50 PM
They probably didn't want to remove those things, but had to because of limitations. But we'll see.

zhengyingli
11-11-2012, 07:54 PM
This is probably the top reason why I try to keep a media black-out on new games before they actually come out. Things talked about sometimes don't make it in although I'm sure they never said anything about Naval free roaming. It was more along the lines of open naval missions but in the end it wasn't even all that open.
Been in blackout ever since E3, myself. Some of the reviewers should make a habit out of this, too, as I'm tired of them putting down a game just because it didn't innovate "as promised."

Rithrius
11-11-2012, 07:55 PM
There were also gonna be random battlefields in free-roam with over a thousand NPCs at the same time.

anik_lc
11-11-2012, 07:56 PM
All devs do.

And a lot of stuff was cut in AC1 that they said were in.

Most of the devs probably forget what they said. You know they had to make a lots of stuffs and do a hell lot of interviews!

Jexx21
11-11-2012, 07:57 PM
There were also gonna be random battlefields in free-roam with over a thousand NPCs at the same time.

They actually never said that.

Jexx21
11-11-2012, 07:59 PM

They actually never said that.

TlNSTAAFL
11-11-2012, 08:00 PM
They probably didn't want to remove those things, but had to because of limitations. But we'll see.
You limit this game way too much, bro.

Jexx21
11-11-2012, 08:02 PM
How the freaking hell am I 'limiting' the game with that comment?

Get off me 'bro'.

pirate1802
11-11-2012, 08:07 PM
lulz

Jexx21
11-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit pissed at IRL stuff atm.

diwas13
11-11-2012, 08:20 PM
And this is how current gen consoles are holding games back. There is only so much you can do with 256MB of RAM.

Dan Pen 97
11-11-2012, 08:44 PM
And this is how current gen consoles are holding games back. There is only so much you can do with 256MB of RAM.

They are not Xbox 360 is not holdeing it back. But i do not know about the PS3 at the momnet ok.

Assassin_M
11-11-2012, 08:47 PM
They are not Xbox 360 is not holdeing it back. But i do not know about the PS3 at the momnet ok.
Both are holding it back. The Hardware is ancient right now and the Gaming Industry`s ambitions are endless...The consumer wants more and the producer is pushing it... They`ll push it as far as it can go...but there is only so much ancient hardware can do

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
11-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Developers do not lie, but sometimes cannot add things which they want to because it may break the game or they may have simply run out of time.

fedeluca
11-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I noticed how the game slows down during while too many enemies are shown on the screen: that could be an example of why they had to remove a feature... :)

Dan Pen 97
Developers do not lie, but sometimes cannot add things which they want to because it may break the game or they may have simply run out of time.

But is there a way to ask them if they will be able to add some more, Stuff to the game or not at the momnet?.

BBALive
There's a difference between lying and features being cut. We can't keep contact with devs 24/7, so things may be cut without our knowledge.

They aren't exactly going to announce these cut features before the game comes out, in case they lose sales.

If they had another 6 months, and weren't working with 8 year old hardware, then I'm sure all of these features would have made it in.

Assassin_M
11-11-2012, 08:52 PM
We know..

I only want them to say so BEFORE release.. Not after it. I want to know that this was removed, because..That was removed, because... all those were removed, because..Its rather simple.

Right now, I`m dealing with serious trust issues.

pacmanate
11-11-2012, 08:54 PM
This was removed because we LIED - Ubisoft.

MohMurad
11-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Just some of the feature in the game that devs said during interviews but never made appearance in the final game:

- Lakes will be frozen during winter and will open new path for Connor to explore. Truth: never seen any frozen lake in the game
- Civilians will react towards the change of weather (eg. taking shelter when it rains) and streets will be more empty at night. Truth: streets at night are the same as daytime and civilians even walk happily under the rain and thunder
- Random missions and events as we free roam around the city. Truth: no random events (only certain mission like liberation mission) and we have to go to the mission giver instead of them coming to us.
- We will be able to explore the whole eastern coast with aquila (naval free roam). Truth: no naval free roam
- Every civilians will have different activities and move from one activity to another. Truth: only happen at homestead. In cities, civilians keep repeating what they always do

IMO most of the times they lie about features that they said are in the game but actually they are not even in the game at all. Developer teams that i respect the most is AC1 and AC2 devs because they never lied about any feature and most of the features that they said in interviews/dev diary were in the game. After those 2 games, new devs came in and they stated a lot of false info of the upcoming games. They made it sound incredible and made people believe that the game was gonna be awesome but once the game came out it didn't live up to the expectation and many promised features were missing.

Actually, there are less people at night and some civilians run around like they're looking for something. :cool:

MohMurad
11-11-2012, 09:03 PM
In main missions, are there still big battles with a couple hundred soldiers, or did they lie about that as well?

Assassin_M
11-11-2012, 09:05 PM
In main missions, are there still big battles with a couple hundred soldiers, or did they lie about that as well?
Thousand man Battles...Still there

Dan Pen 97
11-11-2012, 09:09 PM
they do not lie if they have to cut somthing they'll, have to :)

MohMurad
11-11-2012, 09:12 PM
@Assassin_M Thanks that's a relief :cool:

playassassins1
11-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Well. this gen is basically over... This happens when they push it too far. It still worked out great, but like Assassin_M said, there's only so much the Xbox and ps3 can do.....

Dan Pen 97
11-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Well. this gen is basically over... This happens when they push it too far. It still worked out great, but like Assassin_M said, there's only so much the Xbox and ps3 can do.....

We know that but it will be nice to see big battles in new patches, that are comeing soon.

playassassins1
11-11-2012, 09:51 PM
We know that but it will be nice to see big battles in new patches, that are comeing soon.

The battles are already there.

Assassin_M
11-11-2012, 09:52 PM
He means in free roam.

But its doubtful...The Frontier would not be able to sustain that huge number of Characters on screen and randomly ?? Pof.. No way

Dan Pen 97
11-11-2012, 09:53 PM

Yes i know that but not like in the tralier i was looking forward to that one right at the end .

pacmanate
11-11-2012, 10:15 PM
they do not lie if they have to cut somthing they'll, have to :)

False advertising then if they dont address the changes.

ACfan443
11-11-2012, 10:20 PM
I understand the devs do countless interviews and it can be hard to keep up on the little things they say, but my idea would be that for each interview they employ some guy to record all the details given, and then just one or two weeks before release they let us know what's been removed. That way I guess there'll be less disappointment.

pacmanate
11-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Well you would think they would get a bullet pointed list of things they can say. Obviously not.. lots of things were taken out the game that weren't addressed. I kind of feel cheated as they falsely advertised this game.

luckyto
11-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Add Mutliplayer Clan tags which are not in the game.

Most of the OPs stuff is spot on. But the city NPCs do have a large variety of different things they do. It seems to be hit and miss, but I've seen a pretty large sampling. More than ever before. The rest of his post is spot on.

ACfan443
11-11-2012, 10:35 PM
Well you would think they would get a bullet pointed list of things they can say. Obviously not.. lots of things were taken out the game that weren't addressed. I kind of feel cheated as they falsely advertised this game.

There was definitely too much hype for AC3. To be honest, AC1 had the most features removed, by the time it was done, it was stripped naked of all the extra features. Probably why it felt empty.

I always wonder whether they strip stuff just to save features for a sequel. If you think about it, if everything they thought of was vomited on to the disk, they'd have very little new stuff for the next game. Stuff they cut from AC1 was put back in all the way later in ACR