PDA

View Full Version : Rope Dart used more traditionally (Sheng Biao)

BATISTABUS
11-10-2012, 08:30 AM
If we get another Connor game (which hopefully we will), would you like to see the Rope Dart used in a more traditional way? It was pretty cool in AC3, but I felt it was underutilized. It made sense story-wise as to why Connor could only do so much with it; Achilles basically handed him the thing and told him to figure it out (presumably because he didn't have the knowledge or physical ability). I think it'd be pretty awesome if Connor figured out how to use it in the more traditional sense, either by meeting a master or reading about it and practicing. It's really a beautiful weapon, and could provide a unique gaming experience.

How it would work:
-most useful for medium-to-large sized groups
-can be blocked by strong enemies if swung; they will pull on the dart, jerk Connor forward, and headbutt/kick him
-can disarm weaker enemies if they swing their weapon into the dart's range
-consumes primary and secondary weapon slot
-Hold Attack Button (X or Square): Connor swings the Rope Dart around him in various ways. It keeps enemies at a distance (allowing you time to plan an attack) and baits them into circling Connor. If an enemy steps in range of the dart (grey blur), it will slash them and potentially others. If an enemy is between Connor and the dart (brown blur), the dart's momentum will stop, and Connor will quickly pull it away, spinning and disorienting his enemy.
-Release Attack Button after Holding it: This will kick/throw the dart at a locked enemy. It will pierce the enemy, but will not pull them closer. If you continue tapping the attack button, Connor wil preform similar attacks on the same or other enemies. This is good for attacking a number of enemies in different locations quickly.
-Tap Attack Button (after pulling the enemy closer with the Secondary Weapon button or without having Held the Attack Button previously): The Rope Dart functions as a dagger. Connor will use it with his Hidden Blade
-Secondary Weapon Button (Y or Triangle): Functions the same as it does in AC3 in and right before combat.

This weapon might take some time for the player to figure out, but I think it'd be an interesting and rewarding experience; gameplay-wise and visually. Because of the restrictions on this weapon, it might not be as useful if weapons in the game aren't more specialized than they have been so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz61nytBn64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDfQ-orCsyk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLCQA197rwc

shobhit7777777
11-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't the rope dart used like a ranged weapon with the user manipulating it with his/her entire body (Think Jackie Chan in Shanghai Noon using the horseshoe tied to a rope) ? Is that what you're suggesting?

Either way I really liked the weapon as it tied into another AC medium. I'd love to see it being expanded upon. Some good ideas there.

BATISTABUS
11-10-2012, 08:54 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but isn't the rope dart used like a ranged weapon with the user manipulating it with his/her entire body (Think Jackie Chan in Shanghai Noon using the horseshoe tied to a rope) ? Is that what you're suggesting?
Yes, animations would vary from attacks just like any weapons. What you're talking about is what I'm thinking of.

shobhit7777777
11-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Yes, animations would vary from attacks just like any weapons. What you're talking about is what I'm thinking of.

I would love that. For once we can have a completely fluid and graceful chain-kill without the awkward pause as Connor/Ezio shifted...it would look cool as well. If it resembles Arkahm City/Asylum's combat..it can only be good. Bouncing off from goon to goon was super fun IMO.

BATISTABUS
11-10-2012, 10:13 AM
The biggest difference from what I've seen of AC3's combat vs Arkham (as far as fluidity is concerned) is that Connor cannot fly across the screen and instantly attack another enemy. Batman, because the games are slightly less realistic and have futuristic weapons, is able to hit two people on opposite sides of the room in a fluid motion. I don't want Connor to be able to do that (it would be silly), but the Rope Dart could help achieve a similar effect.

shobhit7777777
11-10-2012, 10:38 AM
The biggest difference from what I've seen of AC3's combat vs Arkham (as far as fluidity is concerned) is that Connor cannot fly across the screen and instantly attack another enemy. Batman, because the games are slightly less realistic and have futuristic weapons, is able to hit two people on opposite sides of the room in a fluid motion. I don't want Connor to be able to do that (it would be silly), but the Rope Dart could help achieve a similar effect.

Precisely

One thing that irks me is the number of blows it takes to kill a guy in AC3. A few too many which bogs down the pace. It looks good but sometimes the kills can take a long time. Also I find the Batman combat more challenging due in part to the AI and the focus on timing.

pacmanate
11-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah I want the next assassin to free style dance with his rope dart too.

Imagine if the dart came off hahahah and hit someone in the FACE

ProdiGurl
11-10-2012, 01:23 PM
(LOL pacman)

Precisely

One thing that irks me is the number of blows it takes to kill a guy in AC3. A few too many which bogs down the pace. It looks good but sometimes the kills can take a long time. Also I find the Batman combat more challenging due in part to the AI and the focus on timing.

With the new combat mechanics, that's exactly what I'm liking about this - it does allow me to do more during fights. It's making the fights more interesting and it's forcing me to think rather than straight [blind] button mashing w/ kill streaks that take everyone down (not that that wasn't fun).
And of course the new animations they gave Connor have really amped it up for me. I much prefer combat in AC3 now. Never thought I would.

The one thing I have to test out it is if you hang somebody with it when they were with other guards, if their death triggers the others to fight or look for you.
Each time I take 1 guard out from the back a group, in a matter of seconds they're on alert & turn around - not sure if they hang instead?

Ya I'd love more Rope Dart depending on what they do for AC4 or 3.5 ??

DavisP92
11-10-2012, 03:24 PM
If we get another Connor game (which hopefully we will), would you like to see the Rope Dart used in a more traditional way? It was pretty cool in AC3, but I felt it was underutilized. It made sense story-wise as to why Connor could only do so much with it; Achilles basically handed him the thing and told him to figure it out (presumably because he didn't have the knowledge or physical ability). I think it'd be pretty awesome if Connor figured out how to use it in the more traditional sense, either by meeting a master or reading about it and practicing. It's really a beautiful weapon, and could provide a unique gaming experience.

How it would work:
-most useful for medium-to-large sized groups
-can be blocked by strong enemies if swung; they will pull on the dart, jerk Connor forward, and headbutt/kick him
-can disarm weaker enemies if they swing their weapon into the dart's range
-consumes primary and secondary weapon slot
-Hold Attack Button (X or Square): Connor swings the Rope Dart around him in various ways. It keeps enemies at a distance (allowing you time to plan an attack) and baits them into circling Connor. If an enemy steps in range of the dart (grey blur), it will slash them and potentially others. If an enemy is between Connor and the dart (brown blur), the dart's momentum will stop, and Connor will quickly pull it away, spinning and disorienting his enemy.
-Release Attack Button after Holding it: This will kick/throw the dart at a locked enemy. It will pierce the enemy, but will not pull them closer. If you continue tapping the attack button, Connor wil preform similar attacks on the same or other enemies. This is good for attacking a number of enemies in different locations quickly.
-Tap Attack Button (after pulling the enemy closer with the Secondary Weapon button or without having Held the Attack Button previously): The Rope Dart functions as a dagger. Connor will use it with his Hidden Blade
-Secondary Weapon Button (Y or Triangle): Functions the same as it does in AC3 in and right before combat.

This weapon might take some time for the player to figure out, but I think it'd be an interesting and rewarding experience; gameplay-wise and visually. Because of the restrictions on this weapon, it might not be as useful if weapons in the game aren't more specialized than they have been so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz61nytBn64
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDfQ-orCsyk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLCQA197rwc

Great idea, but i don't think it would make sense story wise if connor did it. Someone would have to show him how to do it, but if we were to go to China and play with Shoa Junn in the area (wonder if i spelled her name right) then that's where we should use it the way you described.

xboxauditore
11-10-2012, 03:30 PM
I think the greatest thing about it is the fact that they brought up Shao Jun, Knew she'd do something cool eventually.

DavisP92
11-10-2012, 03:39 PM
I think the greatest thing about it is the fact that they brought up Shao Jun, Knew she'd do something cool eventually.

I agree with you there, but I felt like they should have done more then just mention names. In AC2 we had a statue of past assassins (including altair) and had his sword and his armor. The game actually made it feel like you were part of an order, while in AC3 it really just felt like it was a story of two guys against 7

BBALive
11-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Not Connor. If we go to China then the assassin should be able to use it in a more traditional way though.

BATISTABUS
11-10-2012, 08:56 PM
I agree with you there, but I felt like they should have done more then just mention names. In AC2 we had a statue of past assassins (including altair) and had his sword and his armor. The game actually made it feel like you were part of an order, while in AC3 it really just felt like it was a story of two guys against 7
Yeah, but in the Renaissance they were all about statues. Not so much I'm the Colonial Period. Achilles likely wasn't as wealthy as Mario, and couldn't afford something like that if he wanted it. Plus, he was trying to put the Creed behind him.

If any game made you really feel a part of the Brotherhood, it was the first game with the castle and bureaus.

BATISTABUS
11-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I think I should also mention that there would be two types of Rope Dart. There would be the one Connor would use in combat, and then a number of other darts that are disposable (like in AC3). It'd be annoying if you had to run back to the shop every time you hung someone from a tree.

Sturnz0r
01-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Yeah, but in the Renaissance they were all about statues. Not so much I'm the Colonial Period. Achilles likely wasn't as wealthy as Mario, and couldn't afford something like that if he wanted it. Plus, he was trying to put the Creed behind him.

If any game made you really feel a part of the Brotherhood, it was the first game with the castle and bureaus.

but that became a beacon for templar and economic enemies

Dead1y-Derri
01-25-2013, 07:21 PM
I could see the rope dart being used as a method of crossing slightly larger gaps or preventing a fall. I dunno it always seemed like something that should have been done with it.

Assassin_M
01-25-2013, 07:25 PM
but that became a beacon for templar and economic enemies
So ? Has nothing to do with the feeling of "Brotherhood" That AC I had

BATISTABUS
01-25-2013, 10:05 PM
I could see the rope dart being used as a method of crossing slightly larger gaps or preventing a fall. I dunno it always seemed like something that should have been done with it.
I can see why that might seem like a natural feature, but it'd be a little too...unrealistic? Fantasy? Futuristic even? The rope dart isn't a grappling gun, and it certainly couldn't support the weight required for any kind of traversal.

Sushiglutton
01-25-2013, 10:44 PM
I could have sworn I replied to this thread in a none censorship worthy way last year lol. Anyway, I am a bit torn about this. To me the combat in AC3 is too shallow. I'm afraid that adding a weapon that plays so differently will basically mean two shallow systems. If I had to choose I would prefer if they made one system that worked well. That said if I don't have to choose, I think having a ropedart as you describe would be awesome :D. Having fewer weapons, that plays differently is the right way imo.

About using the ropedart for other things: I really want this. There are many games with fun uses of ropedart like gadgets. That kind of physical gameplay is awesome to mess around with. I think some use in platforming could be good as well. Like throwing the ropedart around a branch/beam and then climb up for example. I don't think that would be unrealistic in comparison to some other things in the game (like the leap of faith for example).

Sigv4rd
08-27-2013, 11:50 PM
This would be perfect to implement in a Chinese AC game... :)

Hans684
08-28-2013, 06:10 PM
I would have liked if Connor upgraded the Rope Dart and made the Chain Blade.

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/File:Chain_Blade_by_WilliamWu.jpg

http://assassinscreed.wikia.com/wiki/File:Connor-Using-The-Rope-Dart-the-assassins-32843621-755-960.jpg