PDA

View Full Version : My Assassins Creed III Review (Spoilers)

Assassin_M
11-09-2012, 03:44 AM
I finished Assassins Creed III Yesterday and I wanted to share with all of you my experience. I have been trying to take a somewhat extended break from the forums due to me not wanting my Opinion or views tainted by something too Negative or too positive being posted here and thankfully that worked. I can safely say that What you`re about to read is based on my Perspective alone.

Story:
Whatever the combinations that may have brought you here, A part of it will always be the story. Assassins Creed III kicks it off quick and dismisses the somewhat slow pace some past games have given. The Start of the story is like something out of "Project Legacy" if any of you remember that. It has the same context and feeling. The part that defines the Protagonist is actually the one that is vague. The Protagonist`s part and standing in Society is the one that`s prevalent and that`s certainly new to the series and something that I found quite interesting.

The story manages to suck you in quick with a bit of history at the start, a looming conflict and a compelling character. What you`re seeing is not what you`re used to in every AC game, so during every moment you`re thinking what that might mean or imply while you watch the interactions in the tiny world you`re currently given.

The game does a good job of establishing the Protagonist like every past AC game. You`re having a minor conflict that is given an enough amount of screen time and exposure, but then the story moves on and on as you go..

The twist that occurs is something you`ll never see coming simply because of a fact established by the Ezio trilogy. You suddenly begin to realize how everything that occurred before seemed so wrong after a certain discovery.

The Characters are introduced slowly and some of them did not have a proper amount of screen time, but most of those who did have grown on me without me realizing it. I found my self liking Achilles based on some of his Interactions with everyone around him which is strange, because he is a Jerky grump to everyone he meets including Connor.

The amount of emotion stirred in me from some events is Unprecedented. I found my self acting like a 5 year old child, later like a mature man, later like the greatest detective in the world. The game`s amount of varied Events makes good on its promise in the premise that "I will make you cry" or "I will make you laugh" Because indeed, every time the game tried, It succeeded.

Connor was a Child. He lived his life as he should. Playing, learning and growing. You feel the Innocence which is something that was absent from Ezio, because you`re quickly thrown in with the line "Your sister seemed quite satisfied with the handling I gave her earlier". I never expected another Ezio and I`m glad that I was not disappointed. Connor`s Innocence is quickly stolen by the ensuing events. He grows into a humble, powerful Young man that seemingly has no Weaknesses but his Naivete.

In a way, Connor is still a child. His reactions to some of the actions of others` make any one laugh, but he simply finds it disgusting. His solutions to very complicated matters is Pure. "i`ll tell them I`m Innocent" - Connor

In the end, in terms of Connor, you find yourself killing in the same site you played in and it proves for nothing. The ending of Desmond is the only one that made sense to me. It was not Mind-blowing and it was not the best out there, but it finally gave closure to Desmond and that Is all I was promised.

Gameplay:
If you`re a new comer, you`ll have less of a hard time than if you were a veteran of the series. You`re already accommodated to a scheme established 5 years ago, but served its purpose. The new scheme is not really tedious. It simply provides more freedom in some areas, but greatly frustrates in others. So you`ll love the new controls at times and completely loathe it at others.

Navigation is basically the same. the only returning type of Navigation is the Horse and again, with the same turn offs of the past, but the addition of galloping was decent and was what poked me to use the horse more.

You`ll climb cliffs, Buildings and trees all in the same precision and speed. Not one is better or more useful than the other. They`re all equally fun and compelling.

The new additions to some of the returning features were fun. such as Lock picking and Tunnel Networks. Lock picking was simple enough, like any other lock picking game (Except Sherlock Holmes -_-) The exploration to unlock fast travel was a bit tiresome, but the sound effects and at times quicker pace, is what brought back to it again and again.

Mini-games are new to the Series and were definitely, and FINALLY, welcome. They provided nice distractions during my adventure. The X man Morris games were my favorite as they were new to me and so required some more thinking. The variety was great. I was afraid that these games may feel broken or boring, but i`m glad I was proved wrong. I found my self pouring hours and hours into each game without tire.

Collectibles return, but with the same, and new, flaws. most of them are more of what was before, but again, with some added quirks here and there. Sadly, the given quests are stagnant. Givers will be standing in that place for years. making a rather lively world, have a dead corner. There is no dialogue before every quest, no variety and no dynamics to the system.

Technicalities:
The Graphics are amazing and that is just how I`ll put it. The environments look fantastic, be it in the cities or in the Wilderness. It always looks Great and breath taking to look at it from every angle (Except ones that are from far away) The new engine pushes the console to the very limit, and sometimes, farther. I, thankfully, have not experienced ANY game breaking bugs or glitches during my 8 days Playthrough. all of the bugs I experienced were already there in many different games, or were simply too trivial for me to actually care.

The Horses` muscles move like they should and if such a graphical innovation was praised in RDR, then I do not see any reason why it should not be praised here.

Surprisingly, the spots that feel liveliest are in the Cities. I always thought that such detail will be put in the camps and settlements in the Frontier, because "DUH" They`re smaller in size and thus easier to manage, but I was wrong. I found many, MANY actions performed in the Cities that were not in Concord or Lexington. Interactions that were missed from certain Camp Sites, and sadly every time I walk through that Camp from E3 I find my self thinking " give me that E3 Demo"

Perhaps the most mind blowing achievement found was the Homestead. The amount of Detail and Variety is absolutely that; Mind blowing. the Variety, the detail in every action. they clearly spared no expense on bringing this place to life, but again.. It makes me cringe that such detail is not available in, AT LEAST, the Frontier Settlements. standing near some fire in the E3 camp, I find many Opportunities for life that are sorely missed and painful to look at as "Empty"

While the game did its best to bring the Homestead to life, it forgot and left behind everything else in a world devoid of melody.

Conclusion:
New York is no Venice and Boston is no Damascus, but I appreciated the History. The sounds of the people, the town criers and annoying Soldier Drumming made me love the new Setting.

Assassins Creed III is by no means Assassins Creed II in its grace and Beauty, but it represented a struggling point of History. No art, No paintings. Just War..

9/10

RatonhnhakeFan
11-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Agree with everything except the twist part in the story. Personally, I saw it coming from a mile due to Lee's inaccurate cartoony characterization, but most people will not since that would require lots of research. I wouldn't know either if it wasn't for the fact that I researched Lee a lot before the game's release (due to a certain reason connected to my Bieber signature :p ). Also agree that the exploration of the tunnels to unlock fast travel was a bit too much. I think they should've scaled down 'tunnel' New York & Boston even more than they did, you totally need like an hour+ to find all fast travel points in one city. Agree that too much resources were poured into the Homestead at the cost of other locations, particularly Ratonhnhaké:ton's village.

pirate1802
11-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Do you get the feel like you're in the middle of a revolution during the game?

catkiller97
11-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Assassins_M :cool:

Good Review !!!

luckyto
11-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Excellent review!

Like to see your thoughts on combat and naval missions, if you would like to expand upon it -

pirate1802
11-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Do you actually get the feel like you're in the middle of a revolution during the game?

Anyone? :S

RatonhnhakeFan
11-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Anyone? :S
Well I did felt like it was happening, but I thought it would be a bigger topic in the game. I'm glad that it wasn't though.

pirate1802
11-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I'm glad that it wasn't though.

Why?

CalgaryJay
11-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Good write-up man, 9's about what I'd give this game too. Not perfect, it has its issues, but over-all its stunning to look at, and the most fluid its ever been.

I'm already planning on replaying this as soon as I finish, just from reading your review - as well as a few other threads - its clear there's so much stuff I've missed. I haven't even been in the tunnels since that initial mission as Haytham, kinda forgot about it.

RatonhnhakeFan
11-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Why?The game is about the assassin and the personal story of the main hero, not fighting/winning the American Revolution. History is just supposed to be a backdrop for the events and it was done very well in AC3, not to little and not too much.

pirate1802
11-09-2012, 05:27 PM
History is just supposed to be a backdrop for the events and it was done very well in AC3, not to little and not too much.

Ok, thats exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you :D

NumberSix1967
11-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Do you get the feel like you're in the middle of a revolution during the game?

It'd make more sens eto play as Haytham during any kind of focussed Revolution storyline. In switching to Connor we lost our connection to the Revolution and in doing so, felt on the sidelines to not only that, but to any potential cultural evolution we could have experienced being a Native American. Perhaps trying to mix four narratives was too much to ask for a video game. If Assassin's Creed 3 was a 12-part HBO series, then hey...easy as pie.

RzaRecta357
11-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Totally agree Assassin_M. You're one of my favorite here so now I know that you like it. Now to find out what Lightrey and Mario think. I'll be content. :P. I seen Prodi defending it in another topic although she misses the music... One which I totally agree with. I enjoy the Abstergo tunes in Mplayer. Even enjoy the homestead tunes and brawling stuff. But the lack of the ambient music really hurts.

So music, and having to actually reveal the map kind of irk me. Although in the end I enjoyed the revealing because I seen everything. It's just it took me a day and half to do the second or third mission of sequence 3 because I was busy OCDing it out with the map EVERYWHERE.

RatonhnhakeFan
11-09-2012, 05:42 PM
It'd make more sens eto play as Haytham during any kind of focussed Revolution storyline. In switching to Connor we lost our connection to the Revolution and in doing so, felt on the sidelines to not only that, but to any potential cultural evolution we could have experienced being a Native American. Perhaps trying to mix four narratives was too much to ask for a video game. If Assassin's Creed 3 was a 12-part HBO series, then hey...easy as pie.
We have quadrillion movies, books and TV shows showing the Revolution and cultural changes in the western society. How many we have from the Native American perspective? It's far more refreshing and I'm so glad they went this way (although they didn't go far enough, at least half of the Homestead missions should've been focused on Ratonhnhaké:ton's village instead).

CalgaryJay
11-09-2012, 06:02 PM
We have quadrillion movies, books and TV shows showing the Revolution and cultural changes in the western society. How many we have from the Native American perspective? It's far more refreshing and I'm so glad they went this way (although they didn't go far enough, at least half of the Homestead missions should've been focused on Ratonhnhaké:ton's village instead).

Ya agreed, I've been kind of perplexed how his village has been completely pushed to the sidelines after youth Connor's vision with the elder.

...then again, I'm still not finished the game yet (Seq 9), so perhaps something is still to come.