PDA

View Full Version : What is the actual point of crafting?

Relicsbane
11-08-2012, 08:54 AM
I've been working on crafting items and I have a lot of the recipes already and nearly maxxed out on my homestead for people. What I'm not understanding though is, what is the actual point of all the crafting? Aside from the larger equipment holding items, is there any point to it? Is it simply to make stuff for convoys? I just don't understand that for the amount of effort to stockpile/hunt/gather all the resources over and over. What does making fishing poles do for me or my homestead?

I'm so confused...

If anyone can fill me in on what makes crafting worthwhile, it'd be awesome.

siberarmi
11-08-2012, 09:07 AM
You can only sell them for profit, thats all unfortunately.

And there are also Franklin's inventions but they just fill the the room upstairs :)

Edit: If they are going to scale up the game with a DLC i hope they add some crafting missions.For example, New York wants 3 wagons of war goods from us (within a time limit) our crafters make them and we guard the convoy all the way.

Relicsbane
11-08-2012, 09:15 AM
So it's more of a time-sink than anything. Most items hardly sell for the overall cost of making them. The only thing I've seen worth sending on convoys is animal furs. Those are easily purchased and resold for profit. Not to mention just going out in the woods and overkilling the whole area for furs.

Thanks for the reply

DualFace
11-08-2012, 09:34 AM
So it's more of a time-sink than anything.

Spot on. There's no need for any other explanation. The only thing I remotely used it for was making certain items to speed up my
money making process for the ship parts. After that---there's no point.

rego00123
11-08-2012, 10:25 AM
optional items.
the best of which are weapons and upgrades. the weapons you get from vendors while better then the default sets are not as good as the ones you can make. the catch is you need to find the recipes for them in the world or have the proper level of artisans before you can obtain them. having 40 arrows versus 10 or a sword with a faster swing speed may not sound too interesting but it opens up the combat to where you never need to micro manage inventory and makes things like storming forts much much easier and fun.

BBALive
11-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Weapons and upgrades. It's also for making money. Just load up your naval convoys with bear/wolf furs or saddles and you'll be raking in the money.

TheSpong
11-08-2012, 12:15 PM
After struggling to wrap my head around the Homestead trading/crafting (thanks to Ubi utterly failing to explain it properly in-game), I was really disappointed to discover the crafting was next to useless. There's a few extra weapons or add-ons in the Special category, but as someone who used nothing but the hidden blades all the time, they were all pointless. And like others have said, the trading is rendered completely unnecessary after you acquire all the upgrades for the Aquila.

Shame really, I liked the renovation stuff in the previous games. AC3's Homestead amounts to nothing more than a way to waste time.

zhengyingli
11-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Shame really, I liked the renovation stuff in the previous games. AC3's Homestead amounts to nothing more than a way to waste time.

But for a person not interested in armor or weapons, like me, the renovations are pretty useless, too. Spent no money on anything. The denizens of the Homestead actually have lives, and for the first time, I spent money! My ship's fully primed. So the economy system, for the first time in my experience with AC, was not totally useless.

ProdiGurl
11-08-2012, 12:31 PM
You can only sell them for profit, thats all unfortunately.

And there are also Franklin's inventions but they just fill the the room upstairs :)

Edit: If they are going to scale up the game with a DLC i hope they add some crafting missions.For example, New York wants 3 wagons of war goods from us (within a time limit) our crafters make them and we guard the convoy all the way.
that sounds like a fantastic idea

TheSpong
11-08-2012, 12:35 PM
But for a person not interested in armor or weapons, like me, the renovations are pretty useless, too. Spent no money on anything. The denizens of the Homestead actually have lives, and for the first time, I spent money! My ship's fully primed. So the economy system, for the first time in my experience with AC, was not totally useless.

The only reason I spent money on the Aquila is because the game forced me to, some of the final Naval Warfare battles are nigh on impossible to complete without some of the upgrades (God knows I tried enough times). That, in my view, doesn't make the Homestead trading worth it. If I'd wanted to, I could've left the Naval Warfare until the end of the game, by which time I would've acquired enough funds through normal gameplay to buy all the Aquila upgrades without having to touch the Homestead trading. As it stood, I only needed to buy two upgrades using funds raised by the Homestead.

The missions associated with the Homesteaders were fun though (excluding that awful bowling game mission), but in all reality, their connection to the Homestead is completely negligible. Completing them just gives access to more stuff the player doesn't need.

ProdiGurl
11-08-2012, 12:37 PM
I have to admit, entering Seq. 6 and having to get this homestead part going,.... they REALLY needed to have a separate area in the game manual to explain this!
I have no clue what's going on. I have very few complaints & LOVE this game, but it does help to know what you're doing & why.

I'm out of arrows (seems I went from 8 in Seq 5 to 0 in Seq 6)... I have 1 craftsman I rescued...but I need arrows & stuff, I was ready to head to the store in Boston - I wonder if the Frontier has a store?

zhengyingli
11-08-2012, 12:40 PM
The only reason I spent money on the Aquila is because the game forced me to, some of the final Naval Warfare battles are nigh on impossible to complete without some of the upgrades (God knows I tried enough times). That, in my view, doesn't make the Homestead trading worth it. If I'd wanted to, I could've left the Naval Warfare until the end of the game, by which time I would've acquired enough funds through normal gameplay to buy all the Aquila upgrades without having to touch the Homestead trading. As it stood, I only needed to buy two upgrades using funds raised by the Homestead.

The missions associated with the Homesteaders were fun though (excluding that awful bowling game mission), but in all reality, their connection to the Homestead is completely negligible. Completing them just gives access to more stuff the player doesn't need.
Fair enough about the Aquila. But if you think the Homestead missions up to now are fun, in a narrative perspective, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't do the last Homestead missions due to their lack of interesting function, in that those missions are probably the most emotional parts of the game.