PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who actually likes Connor?

maverick494
11-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Reading on this site I see a lot of hate for the Connor character, especially when compared to Ezio. Now while I loved Ezio, that type of personality really wouldn't have fitted Connor. Ezio is a stereotypical charismatic Italian who has a way with the ladies and while it works for him it would be strange for a character with Connors background. I think the developers really did well with picking the best fit. I think the real 'problem' is that Connor is surrounded with such colorful characters, like for example Haytham. In comparison to Hatham's arrogance and sarcasm I can imagine Connor may seem dull. But to me a character doesn't have to be very outspoken and in-your-face to be exciting.

Connor, to me, is someone with a big heart and a strong sense of right and wrong and very much shaped by his circumstances. He wants freedom not just for his tribe, but for everyone. That's his ultimate goal in life and he attacks it in a straightforward manner, barely paying heed to other things that life have to offer him. He's serious because he thinks he has no time to be anything else. He sees everything slipping away out of his grasp and works as hard as he can to keep up even though many tell him his efforts will be in vain. He's basically been told by a deity that if he doesn't do what he has to do, everything he holds dear will be lost to him. This is a very different predicament than Altair and Ezio were in. I think what makes the character compelling is that he accepts his 'destiny' without hesitation, though expressing that he's not thrilled about it. But other than that he doesn't complain. I think that's what makes the character compelling to me. He makes the best of a bad situation and he has guts. The guy is riding a ticking time bomb. He has no time to be vain. What I also like is that he has a lot of respect for life, humans and animals alike. He only kills when he has to. As for his voice, I do agree that in times some more intonation would have been nice, but overall I thought he had a pleasant, calm voice that fit the character.

But anyway, that's just my opinion. I'm not really good at explaining like some users here, but I hope what I was trying to say came across.

What's your opinion on Connor? And please, keep the discussion civilized.

pirate1802
11-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Nope. There are plenty of people who like him, including me. Connor FTW! xD

kudos17
11-08-2012, 05:10 AM
My best two words do describe him: reserved and naive.

What he didn't say spoke as much as what he did. He was generally angry around the Colonists, as you could see by his denial of handshakes, hugs, and hellos. He rarely showed any emotion but frustration.

He was also very naive. As constantly pointed out by Haytham and Achilles, he really had no idea what he was doing or what he was fighting for. He spoke of justice and freedom, but had absolutely no clue how to obtain it. In the end, all he was left with was a trail of bodies and a world left in more chaos than it was in when he entered it.

As a person overall, he was "meh". My reaction to him was indifferent, even more so than Altair in the first game. Where my personal connection came in was his interaction with other characters, but not with Connor himself. If they wanted him to be as loved as Ezio, they had to give him his own charm. They didn't. Doesn't make him a bad character, but he's not a stand-out.