PDA

View Full Version : Really Ubisoft? Really?

Jcmp920
11-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Prepare yourself for a rant folks but first let me start by being clear about one thing; I love the Assassin's Creed series. That being said, this rant is not necessarily for the other gamers like myself but hopefully for those that actually have a part in making the game. This rant has a question in its subtext that I would love to see answered.

I've played this series from the beginning..I've literally owned it for every console (i have my reasons) and with this latest iteration, I bought a vita for Liberation in addition to not only getting it for pc but for the ps3 as well (largely because of the nonsense ps3 exclusive content and the postponement on pc). I am truly a fan of the series but I have qualms that I can not quiet, and while a lot of them have been addressed in newer installments, this one (among a few other) has yet to be. Can someone from the team who is generally so dedicated to the minutia please explain to me why when I kill someone with my fists the end result is my enemy rolling around like he has a bad stomach ache?

Broken neck? Nope! Bad stomach ache. Crushed throat or skull? Broken legs or spine? Nope, nausea. You don't need to explain to me why you might think this is a trivial detail; it is. What makes it so obnoxious to me is that this has been present since Assassin's Creed 2 and every game following since then. Attention to detail is so high in terms of animation and environment in so many respects, so why is it this has been overlooked again and again? And on that note, what happened with Revelations? The combat and assassination animations were distinctly more sloppy then any game prior. I won't pretend to fathom all of the technical know-how necessary to properly program this in, but I literally would be happier with the lack of animation; knocked out and dead look the same to me. And let's not forget the behavior associated with it. If I "kill" someone with hand to hand and they then proceed to roll around like a fireman demonstrating stop, drop and roll, why do the civilians run and screen like they've seen a corpse? Hell the first and often viewed as the worst in the series did a better job of this problem then any game after! You broke a dude's leg, he fell and screamed appropriately- that was it. No food-poisoning for Altair's opponents, just KOed or dead.

So again I ask, was this ignored for the 4th time because of time constraints? And if so how many games do you need to get out before it's fixed? Was it left in because removing the animation caused a programming nightmare? Were the quality assurance people completely oblivious to this obvious flaw? I want to be engrossed in your game and this takes away from the experience! I just don't get it, and it drives me bat-**** crazy. Yes I am a nit-picky gamer but I don't think I'm the only one. I have high expectations of a company and team that I'm sure have high expectations of themselves. I want to enjoy your living, breathing, seamless world without being torn from it by a glaring inconsistency.

Assassin_M
11-07-2012, 01:18 AM
You are the only one...

I mean Really, member ? Really ?? Its so nit picky, I think you`v wasted too much time writing this..

But Hey, If that`s your only complaint, then the game is bloody awesome. I have more complaints than this and they call me fan-boy xD

Jcmp920
11-07-2012, 01:27 AM
You could be right, but I'm still a consumer and life-long gamer entitled my opinion, and I somehow find it hard to believe that it bothers no one in the developer seat when everything else has such a high attention to detail. And it's as I said, this has been in every game since 2. I could live with it in a game, not 4. And if there's one thing I greatly appreciate, it's attention to detail. That extra bit reminds me how passionate some developers are. That's what I've come to expect from the AC series and this contradicts that. I expected to be criticized for my view, my friends already do, but I still hope for an answer.

Assassin_M
11-07-2012, 01:30 AM
You could be right, but I'm still a consumer and life-long gamer entitled my opinion, and I somehow find it hard to believe that it bothers no one in the developer seat when everything else has such a high attention to detail.
There are Priorities. If they`re done with those they`ll turn to other things. If they have time, they`ll look into it, If they don't.. Well.. I guess you have the result..

Seriously, though.. I truly find it hard to believe that anyone other than yourself is having a hard time because of this..

NinjaOnFire
11-07-2012, 01:33 AM
It is important M, nobody rolls around when they have just been blown to bits.
AC prides itself on historical accuracy where possible but people being immortal until the story requires their death is ridiculous.

Assassin_M
11-07-2012, 01:37 AM
It is important M, nobody rolls around when they have just been blown to bits.
AC prides itself on historical accuracy where possible but people being immortal until the story requires their death is ridiculous.
I know its Importance. I just don't think I`d be playing around and be ticked off by something so... trivial.. Sure, I`d laugh my A out, but I wont come to a forum writing a giant post complaining about it..

Jcmp920
11-07-2012, 01:38 AM
I absolutely agree that there are priorities, but this is the FOURTH game! They have shown the attention to detail IS their priority but for whatever reason, this is infinitesimal to them. That's where my curiosity lies.

And also let me just reiterate that I've played every game and enjoyed them. I think you imagine me cursing and break controls when this happens. I never claimed it was the end of the world. I never said it's ruining the game for me. I said I was going to rant, which is often hyperbole, about something that bothered me. You don't care, you don't get it, that's fine. This wasn't directed towards you anyway.

TrueAssassin77
11-07-2012, 01:38 AM
ive always wondered about it, truth be told. id break someones neck, and they'd keep moving on the ground?it bothered me to an extent so i....

hint: after beating them up with fist. when they are rolling on ground you are able to kick/stomp yhem one good time. it should silence their pitiful cries of agony.

HSCOnyxAssassin
11-07-2012, 01:45 AM
I absolutely agree that there are priorities, but this is the FOURTH game! They have shown the attention to detail IS their priority but for whatever reason, this is infinitesimal to them. That's where my curiosity lies.

This is the FIFTH game. And while I DO agree that it's kinda silly I also have to agree with M in saying that this is REALLY nitpicky. There are SEVERAL other things wrong with this game that are far more severe than this and I still think its the best game Ubisoft has released to date. So you can let this one tiny trivial matter ruin your experience or you can stop being so OCD about the little stuff.

zhengyingli
11-07-2012, 01:47 AM
This is the FIFTH game.
He meant the fourth game to utilize the neck break.

TrueAssassin77
11-07-2012, 01:47 AM
you guys are being to harsh... the mere fact that what hes having a problem with says volumes towards how he thinks about the game itself. oh, and ubisoft is lazy concerning some stuff

Jcmp920
11-07-2012, 01:48 AM
This is the FIFTH game.

This is the fourth game in what I'm referring to happens.

And I'm pretty sure I wrote in the post that you commented on that it did not ruin the experience for me.

Jcmp920
11-07-2012, 01:58 AM
zhengyingli, trueassassin and ninjaonfire, thank you for not immediately dismissing me.

GreyLucario
11-07-2012, 02:13 AM
Those moments didn't really bother me much, though there was one thing I always wondered. Now I'm not complaining or anything but what I remember from the first game was when you dropped a body in the middle of the town, civilians in the area would actually scream from the sight of a dead corpse, which is strange since there was so much death during the third crusades you would think people would be used to seeing it often. Then when you play ACII and up, peoples reactions are a lot different. Now its more of "oh..what happened?" instead of screaming and getting the hell out of there. I find it funny really but the game series, as we all know, is still amazing.

Assassin_M
11-07-2012, 02:16 AM
zhengyingli, trueassassin and ninjaonfire, thank you for not immediately dismissing me.
I really did not mean to dismiss you, It was not my intention and I apologize if I came across as such..

Jcmp920
11-07-2012, 02:25 AM
I really did not mean to dismiss you, It was not my intention and I apologize if I came across as such..

Thank you, I appreciate you saying so.

HSCOnyxAssassin
11-07-2012, 02:37 AM
Thank you, I appreciate you saying so.
Yeah mate didn't mean to come off as abrasive. The simple fact that you're on about this "feature" and not about any of the more glaring issues leads me to believe that your avid appreciation of all things assassins creed is almost on par with M. As an aside, what console do you play on?

xXPo1oPROSH0TXx
11-07-2012, 04:07 AM
There are worse things in the ac games then this like in my opinion Ive played all the ac games as well but I think that after ac 2 they got repetitive and ac 3 mixed it up a little hell yeah there is a ****load of problems I could name in ac 3 but I feel there leaning the game to a better turn for the series like literally this blog about why they don't blow up when they should or break limbs is useless its like yelling about how after the game is over you don't get to wear the hood which ticks me off but what ims trying to say is it might be useless but everybody has there right to oppinion so keep going on about this stupid **** hooray for stupid **** it keeps us alive today now someone please tell Connor to put his **** hood on a show when he breaks limbs or blows the hell up

Jcmp920
11-07-2012, 04:31 AM
what console do you play on?

HSCOnyxAssassin, I mainly play on PC now. I find that it's generally a more polished experience, but I only recently shed the moolah for a good gaming pc. Before that I literally played all other versions. I started with the PS3 then moved to 360 because as much as I wish there wasn't, there were some definite performance advantages on the 360 in the past. That's less apparent now.

And don't get me wrong, there are lots of little things that I could also pick at, this just happened to be one of the things that has been a consistent issue since AC2. I think the reason it jumps at me so much is because one) i like fighting hand to hand and two) i have messed around with the combat to such an extreme I know all the nuances. In every game there are times where I just run around and pick fights just so I can see all the different kills and what not.

I wrote this post in the hope that someone on the team might take notice. Yes it's small, yes it's trite, but I just wanted to say my piece. Although the original AC was considered the worst by most people because of its repetition, in terms of polish and presentation I'm inclined to think it was the best. The animation was on a level that we had never seen and that bar has been set high ever since then. Besides maybe Uncharted, no animation system has ever been as convincing for me as AC....at least not that I can think of. AC probably benefited the most as well because it almost definitely had the longest development time of all the series.

Xeho
11-07-2012, 04:43 AM
Don't forget when we kick/slam/shoulder butt them into a wall, flip/kick them over a barrel they die. I never understood why they died that way, but by none of the neck breaking head crushing attacks. So I just stab them with their own weapon or my sword to finish them off.

Jcmp920
11-07-2012, 04:47 AM
Don't forget when we kick/slam/shoulder butt them into a wall, flip/kick them over a barrel they die. I never understood why they died that way, but by none of the neck breaking head crushing attacks. So I just stab them with their own weapon or my sword to finish them off.

my guess is because that's all new stuff. the stuff that is reused from previous games hasn't really been altered.

DualFace
11-07-2012, 07:08 AM
Could you imagine this series being helmed by Hideo Kojima from now on? That man makes no mistakes when it comes to
continuity and detail.

I agree with the OP on this one. It IS stupid. I dunno why I've yet to add that to my list of bug/glitches/other for this yet...(now I will).
There are so many things that are wrong with this game it's absurd. I could give a rat's *** about release dates and publishers
who want ish now, Now, NOW. If it's not ready---DON'T ship it.

ACIII was not ready. Not for October anywayz. Yeah, it's a technical marvel but the little things are sticking out like bleeding sore thumbs.

It also doesn't help when half of your game is being outsourced to completely different developers outside of Ubisoft.

UrDeviant1
11-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Hand-to-hand combat Isn't supposed to kill them, just incapacitate them. It's a non-lethal takedown. But at the same time, they should really be knocked out and not rolling around. Not a major Issue for me.

NOLA_Assassin
11-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Hand-to-hand combat Isn't supposed to kill them, just incapacitate them. It's a non-lethal takedown. But at the same time, they should really be knocked out and not rolling around. Not a major Issue for me.

THANK YOU! I thought I was missing something but yes, that is point. You're not killing them, you're incapacitating them like in the batman games. The roll around thing is just to indicate that they're not dead like how knocked out people in Dishonored snore.

SolidSage
11-07-2012, 10:24 AM
They should just bring back the ability to assassinate a dude who's been knocked out and laying on the ground.
I used to love walking around the bodies of my fallen enemies after a big battle, giving them a quick and merciful hidden blade to the throat. Only problem is, in AC1 they rolled around realistically like they were in pain, not like they were getting electrocuted or something.

Doesn't matter that much though. Such a huge game with so much going on in it, I can forgive the buggyness. Be nice if it got a little bit of clean up here and there but nothing has tarnished the experience for me.

Brilliant!

ProdiGurl
11-07-2012, 12:10 PM

That's exactly what I was going to say! In Haythem's mission from Sequence .... 3? One of the synch objectives was not to kill any guards... ok but that was near impossible where they had this one placed. I couldn't synch it no matter how I tried to sneak at that 1 point. Luckily I found a youtube walkthru. Come to find out, we could use "unarmed" and pull him into a haystack.
Becuz he was unarmed, he didn't KILL the guy, he incapacitated him so I didn't break the synch.

So.......... I'm not sure what this OP is fuming about with Unarmed. There is SO much detail that goes into games like this they cannot possibly get it all perfect.
Nor do I expect them to.

Mr_Shade
11-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Please make sure you post your feedback in the pinned threads - so the team do not miss it ;)

ProdiGurl
11-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Please make sure you post your feedback in the pinned threads - so the team do not miss it ;)

I hope they DO miss 1/2 of these types of threads

xXPo1oPROSH0TXx
11-07-2012, 07:35 PM
HSCOnyxAssassin, I mainly play on PC now. I find that it's generally a more polished experience, but I only recently shed the moolah for a good gaming pc. Before that I literally played all other versions. I started with the PS3 then moved to 360 because as much as I wish there wasn't, there were some definite performance advantages on the 360 in the past. That's less apparent now.

And don't get me wrong, there are lots of little things that I could also pick at, this just happened to be one of the things that has been a consistent issue since AC2. I think the reason it jumps at me so much is because one) i like fighting hand to hand and two) i have messed around with the combat to such an extreme I know all the nuances. In every game there are times where I just run around and pick fights just so I can see all the different kills and what not.

I wrote this post in the hope that someone on the team might take notice. Yes it's small, yes it's trite, but I just wanted to say my piece. Although the original AC was considered the worst by most people because of its repetition, in terms of polish and presentation I'm inclined to think it was the best. The animation was on a level that we had never seen and that bar has been set high ever since then. Besides maybe Uncharted, no animation system has ever been as convincing for me as AC....at least not that I can think of. AC probably benefited the most as well because it almost definitely had the longest development time of all the series.

I agree with this I've also done this and I too wish they'd fix that but sadly they most likely will not because ubisoft is a confident company they think since they've been popping out these games and coming up with great franchise that they feel that us the fans will see past there small but I sir shall not let us start a petition for ubisoft to stop making games with there finger up there *** and take there time with a hit franchise

xXPo1oPROSH0TXx
11-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Could you imagine this series being helmed by Hideo Kojima from now on? That man makes no mistakes when it comes to
continuity and detail.

I agree with the OP on this one. It IS stupid. I dunno why I've yet to add that to my list of bug/glitches/other for this yet...(now I will).
There are so many things that are wrong with this game it's absurd. I could give a rat's *** about release dates and publishers
who want ish now, Now, NOW. If it's not ready---DON'T ship it.

ACIII was not ready. Not for October anywayz. Yeah, it's a technical marvel but the little things are sticking out like bleeding sore thumbs.

It also doesn't help when half of your game is being outsourced to completely different developers outside of Ubisoft.
I agree with this as well if they would of took more time and released it maybe by like December or January it would be ten times better

zhengyingli
11-07-2012, 08:08 PM
HA!

Seriously, though. I don't think Ubi's going to blindly follow any suggestions, as proven by ACIII. I genuinely trust them for being able to identify the causes of problems rather than the symptoms.

TheFearHasMe
11-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Doesn't bother me, I just drive my tomahawk into their chest.

Jcmp920
11-07-2012, 11:29 PM

I'm ok with it when it makes sense, but some of the hand to hand would MOST DEFINITELY kill you. A broken neck? A stomp to the head or throat? These are the things i'm referring to....and to a lesser extent the leg breaks. You don't bend your legs and roll around with a broken patella or tibia.

Jcmp920
11-07-2012, 11:30 PM

Without creating another thread, how would you suggest I do that?

Mr_Shade
11-07-2012, 11:39 PM
Without creating another thread, how would you suggest I do that?
errm just post in it?

it's the top thread of the forum - pinned, so it's always there?

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/720979-Assassin-s-Creed-3-Single-Player-Gameplay-Feedback-DO-NOT-POST-SPOILERS

in case you can't see it.

Mr_Shade
11-07-2012, 11:42 PM
They are able to decide which ones they need to take notice of, and which they don't - however that's down to them..

They know the good ideas etc when they see them ;)

Jcmp920
11-07-2012, 11:42 PM

Why should they miss this? Because something doesn't bother you it should be ignored? I've said again and again I recognize that this is a small issue, but what I don't get is why some people take the time to essentially say my opinion is meaningless. If you don't care that's fine, but I'm not in the habit of making people feel foolish for talking about an issue that bothers them and it's sad that so many will go out of their way to do just that.

Jcmp920
11-07-2012, 11:43 PM
errm just post in it?

it's the top thread of the forum - pinned, so it's always there?

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/720979-Assassin-s-Creed-3-Single-Player-Gameplay-Feedback-DO-NOT-POST-SPOILERS

in case you can't see it.

Fair enough. Thanks.

the_atm
11-08-2012, 12:05 AM
This is not a rant. Not proper rant forum.

Second, you can kill them. and maybe they didn't want have to make a corisponding animation for the killing animation. it does not bother me one bit.

DualFace
11-08-2012, 09:22 AM
They should just bring back the ability to assassinate a dude who's been knocked out and laying on the ground.

It didn't go anywhere. Just walk upto any person who's in that state (rolling around and making pain noises) and attack them.

LOLIKONCIK
11-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I agree with you and have also noticed this. But it seems like you're out of luck here.. If you brought this to their attention a long time ago they may have done something about it. But it seems like no ubisoft officials will EVER comment on anything (let alone their moderators here) on anything like this. Frankly, the team has changed so much and now it seems like they don't care as much as they used to. So yes, this is an animation flaw (not a huge one) but don't get your hopes up on anyone from ubisoft actually reading this at all.

PANiC_ATTACKER
11-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Prepare yourself for a rant folks but first let me start by being clear about one thing; I love the Assassin's Creed series. That being said, this rant is not necessarily for the other gamers like myself but hopefully for those that actually have a part in making the game. This rant has a question in its subtext that I would love to see answered.

I've played this series from the beginning..I've literally owned it for every console (i have my reasons) and with this latest iteration, I bought a vita for Liberation in addition to not only getting it for pc but for the ps3 as well (largely because of the nonsense ps3 exclusive content and the postponement on pc). I am truly a fan of the series but I have qualms that I can not quiet, and while a lot of them have been addressed in newer installments, this one (among a few other) has yet to be. Can someone from the team who is generally so dedicated to the minutia please explain to me why when I kill someone with my fists the end result is my enemy rolling around like he has a bad stomach ache?

Broken neck? Nope! Bad stomach ache. Crushed throat or skull? Broken legs or spine? Nope, nausea. You don't need to explain to me why you might think this is a trivial detail; it is. What makes it so obnoxious to me is that this has been present since Assassin's Creed 2 and every game following since then. Attention to detail is so high in terms of animation and environment in so many respects, so why is it this has been overlooked again and again? And on that note, what happened with Revelations? The combat and assassination animations were distinctly more sloppy then any game prior. I won't pretend to fathom all of the technical know-how necessary to properly program this in, but I literally would be happier with the lack of animation; knocked out and dead look the same to me. And let's not forget the behavior associated with it. If I "kill" someone with hand to hand and they then proceed to roll around like a fireman demonstrating stop, drop and roll, why do the civilians run and screen like they've seen a corpse? Hell the first and often viewed as the worst in the series did a better job of this problem then any game after! You broke a dude's leg, he fell and screamed appropriately- that was it. No food-poisoning for Altair's opponents, just KOed or dead.

So again I ask, was this ignored for the 4th time because of time constraints? And if so how many games do you need to get out before it's fixed? Was it left in because removing the animation caused a programming nightmare? Were the quality assurance people completely oblivious to this obvious flaw? I want to be engrossed in your game and this takes away from the experience! I just don't get it, and it drives me bat-**** crazy. Yes I am a nit-picky gamer but I don't think I'm the only one. I have high expectations of a company and team that I'm sure have high expectations of themselves. I want to enjoy your living, breathing, seamless world without being torn from it by a glaring inconsistency.

You are not the only one, I find the game is infinitely inferior to previous AC games, Assassin M is just a blind Ubifanboy. Glitches, fast travel, lag, fighting mechanics, weapon mechanics, all **** compared to even Revelations, they should have sign in the Ubisoft office DONT FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKE, OR IF IT WORKS WELL, LEAVE IT.

PANiC_ATTACKER
11-08-2012, 11:08 AM
I called my local GAME and will actually get a good trade in on HITMAN absolution! (the only decent, true Assassin game left). Thanks for the Ezio saga Ubi! but your team need a solid kick in the balls for the mess that is AC3. I'm not even getting into the Multiplayer!. All those amazing eras of human history they could of set the game in and they chose to skip to American Civil war! as opposed to say Japan!. Was it just some Ubisoft head guys wet dream to make an American Civil war RPG, so AC got raped to pull it off.

zhengyingli
11-08-2012, 11:08 AM
You are not the only one, I find the game is infinitely inferior to previous AC games, Assassin M is just a blind Ubifanboy. Glitches, fast travel, lag, fighting mechanics, weapon mechanics, all **** compared to even Revelations, they should have sign in the Ubisoft office DONT FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKE, OR IF IT WORKS WELL, LEAVE IT.

I would be disappointed if they don't change something every now and then. There hasn't been any changes since the original AC, so it's past time they did something about it, for better or for worse.

PANiC_ATTACKER
11-08-2012, 11:10 AM
I would be disappointed if they don't change something every now and then. There hasn't been any changes since the original AC, so it's past time they did something about it, for better or for worse.
The should have made what they had better, not add RPG elements to a lone Assassin game!. Not take an idea that was excellent (AC and AC2) and make it worse!.

pirate1802
11-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I called my local GAME and will actually get a good trade in on HITMAN absolution! (the only decent, true Assassin game left). Thanks for the Ezio saga Ubi! but your team need a solid kick in the balls for the mess that is AC3. I'm not even getting into the Multiplayer!. All those amazing eras of human history they could of set the game in and they chose to skip to American Civil war! as opposed to say Japan!. Was it just some Ubisoft head guys wet dream to make an American Civil war RPG, so AC got raped to pull it off.

American Civil war? xD Seems we might have been playing different AC III.

BBALive
11-08-2012, 11:44 AM
continuity and detail.

Sorry, I had to laugh. Don't you remember MGS4?

zhengyingli
11-08-2012, 11:53 AM
The should have made what they had better, not add RPG elements to a lone Assassin game!. Not take an idea that was excellent (AC and AC2) and make it worse!.
Well, if not for the glitches, I would say that all things considered, this is the best AC. I could list the pros and cons, but someone made a thread about that already. Just to give you an example of something from ACI that stayed the same which got carried over to ACIII: Horses. They did not change the horse at all, and made riding the disobedient beast a complete nightmare. For all the effort they did to make Connor look natural traversing the trees and uneven surfaces, just a tiny tweak to the horse's courage to step over a rubble would make me a happy player. I sure didn't feel the horses were too broken in prior games because they only utilize flat terrains, but when they picked something like the American Revolution-era frontier, changes needed to be made.

Feudal Japan would also need changes, for example. How the Assassins make money will change, style of fighting will need to change, method of traversal will need tweaks, factions function differently, headquarters, crowd behaviour, etc. You cannot choose a different era and just let the existing system stay static.

By the way, Revolutionary War and Civil War: Two different animals.

ProdiGurl
11-08-2012, 12:12 PM
I have to laugh when people complain that devs should have left everything alone - apparently they weren't here reading the rants & whining at ACR's release.
I saw alot of negative comments about ACB at that time too & all the issues fans had w/ ACB (as they were comparing the games last yr).
Now all of a sudden we needed to stay with what they had been doing?? :confused: & I lost count of the complaints about how cliche' & lame Ezio was.... I guess making Connor so opposite of Ezio's personality was a bad idea too.
There's no pleasing everyone in AC - that's become obvious. The fans preferences and expectations are very different and to please one group is to peeve off another.
And I'll correct anyone who claims Ubi no longer cares & doesn't listen to fans - their problem seems to be that they DID listen to fans & acted to change things up.

I still think that Americans have more of a problem with a game set in their own country... it doesn't give off that ancient foreign vibe like the previous games did.

Jcmp920
11-09-2012, 06:36 PM
I have to laugh when people complain that devs should have left everything alone - apparently they weren't here reading the rants & whining at ACR's release.
I saw alot of negative comments about ACB at that time too & all the issues fans had w/ ACB (as they were comparing the games last yr).
Now all of a sudden we needed to stay with what they had been doing?? :confused: & I lost count of the complaints about how cliche' & lame Ezio was.... I guess making Connor so opposite of Ezio's personality was a bad idea too.
There's no pleasing everyone in AC - that's become obvious. The fans preferences and expectations are very different and to please one group is to peeve off another.
And I'll correct anyone who claims Ubi no longer cares & doesn't listen to fans - their problem seems to be that they DID listen to fans & acted to change things up.

I still think that Americans have more of a problem with a game set in their own country... it doesn't give off that ancient foreign vibe like the previous games did.

On the contrary, being American myself, I take no issue with the setting of Assassin's Creed 3 or the characters, or any of the past characters for that matter. In terms of leaving things alone....I believe someone else said it: if it ain't broke don't fix it. Of course there were definitely some needed changes made with each installment, but with each change came new problems and new details that were glazed over for the sake of time. I'm sure Ubisoft does care about the fans opinions -of course they do - but in the end the team is a group of creative minds that have their own visions dictating the outcome. Our opinions might influence their's but their choices are their own. The bigger problem are the constraints the team has to work under which potentially impacts the game more than we ever could. I don't blame the team for the series' shortcomings, I blame the company heads that care about their numbers and deadlines. The creative aspect will never thrive when the business aspect is placing unwanted and unproductive stressors on the rest. I remember when it was normal to expect a sequel in four years. Yea, four years is a long time, but the extra time pays dividends in quality.