PDA

View Full Version : :Spoiler: AC:3 Ending Poll :Spoiler:

zerocooll21
11-07-2012, 01:13 AM
I thought it would be good to let everyone say their piece on the mater and vote. This thread is not to be littered with arguing others points. If you have a bone to pick PM them and take it off line. I just want vote, say your reason, and only come back to see the results.

Thank you for being civil:

zerocooll21
11-07-2012, 01:17 AM
I liked it, buuut. I really think the ending needed more emotion, more explanation Didn't have to be anything that would spoil the rest of the series but enough to provide better closure. After 5 years I feel we should have gotten more.

For emotion I would have liked to see Desmond's sacrifice drawn out a little longer. You say the spark is what was needed. So how about start with him touching the orb, zoom into the DNA level / show some cool TWCB vodo, and slow down as you reach desmonds face. Zoom into his face, it cringes at first while the joilt of pain corse's thru his vains. Then relax face as he knows / believes in what he is doing, open his eyes / cut to a close up on the eyes. Have him look back at his father and cut scene flashes of good times they had much like in the end of Tron Legacy.

I like the Minerva out of left field bit, deff yelled out a wtf lol. I like how they tied what happen with jesus in but that needed more explanation It would have nice to see minerva/tina/juno speaking with and guiding jesus/moses thru the times they were together. Who knows, that could have been a good segway into playing a AC game in the time with jesus. I think assassin jesus might piss off a quite many people but its a thought.

How did Juno save the world? Why didn't they show how it worked? It would have been nice to see the device surround the planet. The CME ramming into it and going by.

I would have liked to see shaun and Reb holding wiliam back. I know he's been stone cold but his emails show he cares. Again, lil more emotion.

For me this journey has been more than a video game. I have grown to love the modern day timeline and feel without it this game would be just another hack and slash. I go crazy trying to find clues to see what going to happen next and feel desmond deserved a bit more.

vivaxardas
11-07-2012, 01:24 AM
I voted "Loved it" meaning that it is for Desmon's story only (not Connor's) and only an overall idea. I like that for all 5 games we were used as suckers by some ancient b...ch, and ended up unleashing her into the world. But there are certain things without closure or explanation, and unless they are resolved in a later game, it is not cool.

Layytez
11-07-2012, 01:25 AM
I hated because I felt robbed after sticking with them since AC2 only to have none of my questions answered.

TrueAssassin77
11-07-2012, 02:13 AM
hatd it because in the end AC2 was made obsolete, and desmond was depicted as a mere tool apparently everyone got to use. main heros aren't suppose to be complete tools than die!

pirate1802
11-07-2012, 04:42 AM
Liked it, buuuuuuuut....

Would have altered a few things if it was up to me, make it longer, give the players a choice etc etc etc, but yeah, liked it overall. It goes with the theme of AC.

Em-Man
11-07-2012, 05:52 AM
Even though people say otherwise, Desmond achieved many things in AC3. He killed 2 of the biggest templars, vidic and daniel cross. But the main thing he did was saving the world. People seem to forget that when they say that they feel "robbed" by his death.

Let me tell you about my opinions on the ending. I like the twist of Desmond being used as a tool and one of the first civilization wanting to take back the world domination they once had. This twist was a possibility that I always predicted and wished for, pre-AC3. So I was very happy to see my wish come true.

With that being said, the ending is no where close to perfect. the lack of closure to the hero we've learned to know and love is really weird. It's not surprising that people are mad about this ending.
So let me put it this way:
As a cliffhanger, its pretty great.
As Desmond's final game, its pretty bad.

But I have my reason to believe that we will see more of Desmond in one form or another. I correctly predicted AC3's ending so who knows, maybe my predictions to AC4 is correct too. ;)

zerocooll21
11-07-2012, 02:05 PM
THanks for the input so far guys. Can't believe over 200 views and people couldn't vote!? really?

Mega8BitPanda
11-07-2012, 03:55 PM
The idea was fine, it's a big franchise and that's great, more games and more fun, right? However, the end of a trilogy should be just that. If I so choose, I should be able to leave a trilogy and feel it is 'self-contained' which is my major issue with AC3's ending. It isn't but instead leads into a future sequel that none of us are truly ready for. We just finished one trilogy, we don't need another cliff hanger advertising the next.

I feel like it could have been a lot more subtle with Desmond reaching the device and Juno explaining what'll do to him but it will save the world. Then proceed to shots of the world being saved, show us our victory after all our hardships leading to this ending! It's key to give the player challenge and reward. Here we had challenge, challenge, challenge, challenge and challenge for one the ending of the trilogy but no reward, just another challenge and credits. We didn't see the result of Desmond's actions, all we were presented was with another threat, it doesn't feel like we saved it but merely doomed it to another fate.

We had more than enough hints that Juno was vindictive and wanted revenge and so you could have the trilogy ending on a high note with focusing on what Desmond achieved by saving the world. Had Juno 'secretly' been unleashed and it was brought up in the next game we'd have a whole new mystery, picture computers being hacked with the same emails sent to Desmond. Then, in a later game, explaining how she escaped the Temple. That way we could have some feeling of accomplishment.

Even then, if that wasn't to happen, there could have been sense of reward even still with Juno leaving with us seeing the group leaving, witnessing the aura save the world from the Flare and having some form of talk about what Desmond actually just did, or people around the world from every country in fear before you reach the device. Then, after using the device, shots of them all rejoicing in celebration. Every game informs us that it was made by a team of many cultures and religious beliefs and so well would this fit in with that message?

Again, the overall idea was fine but there was no sense of reward to the player, which should be crucial, and the story didn't feel self contained at all, which it should have because now, to me, it feels there was no "Desmond Saga" or "Desmond's Story" all his training was wasted, it was hardly used in his missions other than free-running and one fist fight, but only the Assassin's Creed story and it's merely killed off one protagonist for another. There was no sense of closure to Desmond, either. Sure, he is dead yet a person is everything they touch, everything interact with. One little scene with the group expressing how they felt about Desmond could have provided this very easily to obtain closure but as it stands, to me, it isn't there.

Edit; it stands out even more as Connor has a full blown epilogue showing the results of his actions, winning the civil war and in turn the village losing its land, while Desmond's story gets a simple one line of Juno walking over his corpse... in comparison it is just so weak and they're both in the same game. More attention needs put towards the the present day. I know it is only a small portion and essentially linking how and why ancestors come and go but many people tolerated the low expedition and low amount of Desmond time because we thought it was leading to something huge.

AC3 we have 3 missions for Desmond while in Revelations we had 5, which gave us so much expedition in comparison that it seems a little deceitful that we've seen more of Desmond than ever. The 5 in Revelations seemed longer, personally, and I know there is the temple but up until you get a power cell, it becomes an empty husk of a room to navigate.

Edit 2; Also, the emails foreshadowed Juno far too much and by the time she was revealed to be a villain well... we kinda already knew she was with how aggressive she was getting, her mere 'concern and urgency' was see through from the very first moment she said all we do is fight and kill, reproduce and nothing very productive etc. Kinda killed the moment for me.

dandins
11-07-2012, 06:50 PM
the end was perfect - no more desmond - only connor! YEAH! but it sucks without the assassins hood

Eduard413
11-07-2012, 06:59 PM
100% agree with MegaPanda, Well I would be more happy if he would survive but yeah, I just hate how they killed him and nothing, just 5 minutes of arguing gods and then he just start the device, dies and credits,, like you sayed, they should make it more epic, like showing the scared people and then how they celebrate and so on, but nothing like this they just killed him
so I really dont understeand, why people like this ending, it sucks so much o_O

Layytez
11-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Would have been better if they told you what would have happened if Juno was still dead. You have to figure that out yourself thus the ending felt empty and rushed.

thePhilCasper
11-07-2012, 08:35 PM
100% agree with MegaPanda, Well I would be more happy if he would survive but yeah, I just hate how they killed him and nothing, just 5 minutes of arguing gods and then he just start the device, dies and credits,, like you sayed, they should make it more epic, like showing the scared people and then how they celebrate and so on, but nothing like this they just killed him
so I really dont understeand, why people like this ending, it sucks so much o_O

Agreed. The ending is so non-thrilling and lame... It seems they worked only a ten minutes on last ten minutes...

Altair661
11-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Loved it, not sure what people were expecting... but I love how it wasn't cliche and the Juno reveal was pretty epic to me. In all honesty it would have been lame had Desmond just gotten a key and opened the gate, touched the ball, and saved the world. People should know by now Assassin's Creed is a little more than that. And it provided closure while also opening up for a whole new series. Plus I loved Connor so so so much. Possibly my favorite character ever, almost. Connor's story totally not over, so I'm looking forward to hopefully more from him, but I loved it all. Thats why. In the end Desmond did what he had to do, but he was manipulated by Juno. Hero's aren't always perfect, but Desmond saved the world and broke the cycle. Sacrificing himself in hope that the Assassin's will do their part and maybe team up with Templars to revolt and stop Juno.

Altair661
11-07-2012, 09:43 PM
People have a misconception that the ending of a trilogy has to be the obsolete ending of the whole series. Like Mass Effect 3, to me all of AC3 was the ending to the series. There's no way you can tie up all of AC in one short and sweet ending. You have to think of all that has happened and all of AC3, like the Juno thing, that's been happening this whole time.

Liam_VxR
11-07-2012, 11:45 PM
The idea was fine, it's a big franchise and that's great, more games and more fun, right? However, the end of a trilogy should be just that. If I so choose, I should be able to leave a trilogy and feel it is 'self-contained' which is my major issue with AC3's ending. It isn't but instead leads into a future sequel that none of us are truly ready for. We just finished one trilogy, we don't need another cliff hanger advertising the next.

I feel like it could have been a lot more subtle with Desmond reaching the device and Juno explaining what'll do to him but it will save the world. Then proceed to shots of the world being saved, show us our victory after all our hardships leading to this ending! It's key to give the player challenge and reward. Here we had challenge, challenge, challenge, challenge and challenge for one the ending of the trilogy but no reward, just another challenge and credits. We didn't see the result of Desmond's actions, all we were presented was with another threat, it doesn't feel like we saved it but merely doomed it to another fate.

We had more than enough hints that Juno was vindictive and wanted revenge and so you could have the trilogy ending on a high note with focusing on what Desmond achieved by saving the world. Had Juno 'secretly' been unleashed and it was brought up in the next game we'd have a whole new mystery, picture computers being hacked with the same emails sent to Desmond. Then, in a later game, explaining how she escaped the Temple. That way we could have some feeling of accomplishment.

Even then, if that wasn't to happen, there could have been sense of reward even still with Juno leaving with us seeing the group leaving, witnessing the aura save the world from the Flare and having some form of talk about what Desmond actually just did, or people around the world from every country in fear before you reach the device. Then, after using the device, shots of them all rejoicing in celebration. Every game informs us that it was made by a team of many cultures and religious beliefs and so well would this fit in with that message?

Again, the overall idea was fine but there was no sense of reward to the player, which should be crucial, and the story didn't feel self contained at all, which it should have because now, to me, it feels there was no "Desmond Saga" or "Desmond's Story" all his training was wasted, it was hardly used in his missions other than free-running and one fist fight, but only the Assassin's Creed story and it's merely killed off one protagonist for another. There was no sense of closure to Desmond, either. Sure, he is dead yet a person is everything they touch, everything interact with. One little scene with the group expressing how they felt about Desmond could have provided this very easily to obtain closure but as it stands, to me, it isn't there.

Edit; it stands out even more as Connor has a full blown epilogue showing the results of his actions, winning the civil war and in turn the village losing its land, while Desmond's story gets a simple one line of Juno walking over his corpse... in comparison it is just so weak and they're both in the same game. More attention needs put towards the the present day. I know it is only a small portion and essentially linking how and why ancestors come and go but many people tolerated the low expedition and low amount of Desmond time because we thought it was leading to something huge.

AC3 we have 3 missions for Desmond while in Revelations we had 5, which gave us so much expedition in comparison that it seems a little deceitful that we've seen more of Desmond than ever. The 5 in Revelations seemed longer, personally, and I know there is the temple but up until you get a power cell, it becomes an empty husk of a room to navigate.

Edit 2; Also, the emails foreshadowed Juno far too much and by the time she was revealed to be a villain well... we kinda already knew she was with how aggressive she was getting, her mere 'concern and urgency' was see through from the very first moment she said all we do is fight and kill, reproduce and nothing very productive etc. Kinda killed the moment for me.

And that's all you need to know about the AC3 ending, well spoken sir.

zerocooll21
11-09-2012, 12:29 AM
ttt

IlDiv0
11-09-2012, 01:03 AM

**** well said. Captures perfectly all my criticisms of the ending.

Especially the bit about how we didn't need another cliffhanger. I think the original Halo trilogy did this very well. It resolved the original conflict with the Covenant/Flood, there were sad moments through the deaths of some major characters, hope for a future as we watch humans/Elites rebuild, and potential for a future trilogy (now the Reclaimer trilogy) with Master Chief/Cortana drifting through space. Those who wanted to leave Halo on that note were free to do so. Those who wanted to continue on could do the same. AC's ending could have borrowed from this approach.

IlDiv0
11-09-2012, 01:12 AM
People have a misconception that the ending of a trilogy has to be the obsolete ending of the whole series. Like Mass Effect 3, to me all of AC3 was the ending to the series. There's no way you can tie up all of AC in one short and sweet ending. You have to think of all that has happened and all of AC3, like the Juno thing, that's been happening this whole time.

Of the whole series? Not at all. But the end of a good trilogy should resolve all major conflicts and typically not in a manner that says to the player "you need to buy the next game".

And AC3 could have had a sweet ending if the writers had written the game more carefully. Connor's story is pointless, from the perspective of the overarching narrative. His character development does not fuel Desmond's in the way that Altair's memories motivated Ezio, or how Altair's memories influenced the Desmond/Vidic dialogue. Revelations is really what causes all the problems. The game is about Desmond accepting his identity as an assassin and finishing up with his ancestors. Yet what is AC3 about? Another ancestor! Connor's story was phenomenal, but very jarring after the previous game. Add on top of that the only reason we explore his backstory is to open (yet another) door. We already did this by following Ezio through AC2 and Brotherhood. Hell, that was the point of the Apple we acquire, to get us into the Grand Temple. Connor's story simply is a redundant plot point. Instead, there's not one but two doors!

The game wasn't about Desmond finding a way to stop the Sun. It was about Desmond walking into a room and dying. Now, if the writers had designed the game from the start to be about Desmond stopping the Sun? It's more than doable. But AC3 instead commits the same fundamental flaw as ME3: we spend almost the entire game in each case dealing with side conflicts, so the writers have to condense a magic solution to the overall story in the last 5-10 minutes. It makes for very artificial story-telling.

Will_Lucky
11-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Even though people say otherwise, Desmond achieved many things in AC3. He killed 2 of the biggest templars, vidic and daniel cross. But the main thing he did was saving the world. People seem to forget that when they say that they feel "robbed" by his death.

Actually his dad negated that saying Vidic had done his job by inventing the Animus. And as we saw and Rebecca later stated Cross was a loose cannon, more a symbol than an actual asset. All Desmond did was kill one man out of a large council ultimately his actions were futile.

And did he save the world? Juno might now go ahead and take control just like that...if I recall Desmond carried that Apple with him to the end and Juno might have it. You have the problem that very few individuals were immune to that Apple, 1 in 10 million potentially and we don't know if there were more artifacts elsewhere in that temple similar. Out of 6 Billion people on earth that makes what...60 people immune?

pirate1802
11-09-2012, 03:49 AM
Actually his dad negated that saying Vidic had done his job by inventing the Animus. And as we saw and Rebecca later stated Cross was a loose cannon, more a symbol than an actual asset. All Desmond did was kill one man out of a large council ultimately his actions were futile.

And did he save the world? Juno might now go ahead and take control just like that...if I recall Desmond carried that Apple with him to the end and Juno might have it. You have the problem that very few individuals were immune to that Apple, 1 in 10 million potentially and we don't know if there were more artifacts elsewhere in that temple similar. Out of 6 Billion people on earth that makes what...60 people immune?

Still better than having a smoking ruin of Earth with 99.9999% people dead..

Will_Lucky
11-09-2012, 04:21 AM
Still better than having a smoking ruin of Earth with 99.9999% people dead..

Yeah well, I'm open to the idea...

twenty_glyphs
11-09-2012, 04:07 PM
The ending was literally a joke for me. The last four games had endings that had me more and more on the edge of my seat to see what would happen. Once this ending started and Minerva showed up, I literally started laughing out of disbelief. It's just so stupid and the execution was awful. There is no conclusion to the story at all. Nothing is resolved, and the ending simply introduces an even bigger threat to the story. After 5 games into the series, I still feel like I have no idea what this universe is really about. Unfortunately, it feels like the writers are in the same boat.

The funny thing is, it's not even the concept of the ending that I hate so much as the execution. You get no sense of what is happening at the end, just a cutscene of an argument/discussion. They don't even show the solar flare heading toward Earth and being stopped. The whole thing is summed up in a corny news video showing the aftermath of the solar flare instead of the event itself. I said in another thread that at least the Mass Effect 3 ending had an explosion, which AC3 doesn't even come close to.

There's just nothing about the story that is truly concluded. It feels like the first 5 games were just setup for whatever is coming next, and therefore totally worthless. All of the tantalizing clues that were laid down before are just ignored. Everything about Subject 16 has been thrown away. Remember how he showed us that Abstergo had at least 3 Apples in the 20th century? Well now Shaun has emailed Desmond to let him know that Abstergo doesn't have any left now, even though they supposedly only lost one in an accident. Remember how George Washington had an Apple? Well, that actually came after Connor's story and we're not going to bother showing you that.

In addition, Abstergo has ended up as a complete joke. They seemed like they knew everything that was going on and had this master plan. They knew Minerva contacted Ezio 10 years before it got to Desmond and kidnapped him because they found out. How did that fit into the overall story? Apparently the writers don't know or care. Also, Abstergo just let Desmond walk in their front door and ruin their entire master plan in one of the dorkiest story climax I have ever seen. And even if Abstergo's plans had worked and Lucy wasn't killed, we're told their satellite wouldn't have worked anyway. That just completely negates the entire threat they seemed to pose during the whole series. And now the most likely next step is the Assassins and Templars working together to stop Juno. You know it's coming -- it was hinted at by Desmond when talking to his father, and half of Connor's story was sort of an attempt of both parties working together.

The problem with this ending is that it's so half-baked and just thrown together with no attention to detail. I love the complaint about Desmond's story across the entire series so far essentially boiling down to needing to find a key to two different doors to the same Temple. Maybe in AC4 he'll find a key to the real inner chamber of the Grand Temple so they can stop Juno? It's just so lazy.

The thing that always boggles my mind about endings like this is not that one person could have come up with it. Part of the creative process in any endeavor is coming up with stupid ideas along the way to a good solution. But the thing that boggles my mind is that so many people saw this ending and went along with it. People actually approved this crap, and others didn't try to talk them out of doing it this way and see how it made the entire story so far worthless.

Em-Man
11-09-2012, 04:59 PM
The ending was literally a joke for me. The last four games had endings that had me more and more on the edge of my seat to see what would happen. Once this ending started and Minerva showed up, I literally started laughing out of disbelief. It's just so stupid and the execution was awful. There is no conclusion to the story at all. Nothing is resolved
Welcome to Assassins Creed. How come you enjoyed the mystery and cliffhangers the first 4 times and now its suddenly stupid? How is this any different?
Things are being resolved, you just seem to be in denial. The 2012 solar flare threat is now gone, two of the biggest templar threats are now gone (vidic and daniel cross). The threats that the trilogy has been revolving around is now gone and the only thing left is pretty much: What will happen next?

And about the Minerva thing. What exactly is it that you found laughable about that? I thought it was badass to see two mighty gods argue, but maybe that's just me.

I still feel like I have no idea what this universe is really about. Unfortunately, it feels like the writers are in the same boat.
What is there to know? We know pretty much everything we need to know about everything.

There's just nothing about the story that is truly concluded. It feels like the first 5 games were just setup for whatever is coming next, and therefore totally worthless.
The feeling you get of it being worthless is the direct result of the lacking execution (Which I agree with) you talked about before. But this is a common problem that occurs when narrative depends on mysteries. When the mysteries are revealed people think it's worthless in almost every case. Look what happened to the tv-series LOST for example.
What people seem to forget though is that the answers is not the only thing that makes the narrative good, it is the journey to the answers, the mystery factor that matters mostly. That is where we find the enjoyment.

In addition, Abstergo has ended up as a complete joke.
I partially agree... Have you seen the multiplayer videos about Abstergo? They still feel relevant after watching those. Watch them Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wohEGGOTXX8) and Here (http://youtu.be/mt0TgHwzJEQ)

To the OP: I know that this thread was supposed to be a non-discussion thread, but I really don't see the reason why we can't discuss our opinions

thePhilCasper
11-09-2012, 05:03 PM
The ending was literally a joke for me. The last four games had endings that had me more and more on the edge of my seat to see what would happen. Once this ending started and Minerva showed up, I literally started laughing out of disbelief. It's just so stupid and the execution was awful. There is no conclusion to the story at all. Nothing is resolved, and the ending simply introduces an even bigger threat to the story. After 5 games into the series, I still feel like I have no idea what this universe is really about. Unfortunately, it feels like the writers are in the same boat.

The funny thing is, it's not even the concept of the ending that I hate so much as the execution. You get no sense of what is happening at the end, just a cutscene of an argument/discussion. They don't even show the solar flare heading toward Earth and being stopped. The whole thing is summed up in a corny news video showing the aftermath of the solar flare instead of the event itself. I said in another thread that at least the Mass Effect 3 ending had an explosion, which AC3 doesn't even come close to.

There's just nothing about the story that is truly concluded. It feels like the first 5 games were just setup for whatever is coming next, and therefore totally worthless. All of the tantalizing clues that were laid down before are just ignored. Everything about Subject 16 has been thrown away. Remember how he showed us that Abstergo had at least 3 Apples in the 20th century? Well now Shaun has emailed Desmond to let him know that Abstergo doesn't have any left now, even though they supposedly only lost one in an accident. Remember how George Washington had an Apple? Well, that actually came after Connor's story and we're not going to bother showing you that.

In addition, Abstergo has ended up as a complete joke. They seemed like they knew everything that was going on and had this master plan. They knew Minerva contacted Ezio 10 years before it got to Desmond and kidnapped him because they found out. How did that fit into the overall story? Apparently the writers don't know or care. Also, Abstergo just let Desmond walk in their front door and ruin their entire master plan in one of the dorkiest story climax I have ever seen. And even if Abstergo's plans had worked and Lucy wasn't killed, we're told their satellite wouldn't have worked anyway. That just completely negates the entire threat they seemed to pose during the whole series. And now the most likely next step is the Assassins and Templars working together to stop Juno. You know it's coming -- it was hinted at by Desmond when talking to his father, and half of Connor's story was sort of an attempt of both parties working together.

The problem with this ending is that it's so half-baked and just thrown together with no attention to detail. I love the complaint about Desmond's story across the entire series so far essentially boiling down to needing to find a key to two different doors to the same Temple. Maybe in AC4 he'll find a key to the real inner chamber of the Grand Temple so they can stop Juno? It's just so lazy.

The thing that always boggles my mind about endings like this is not that one person could have come up with it. Part of the creative process in any endeavor is coming up with stupid ideas along the way to a good solution. But the thing that boggles my mind is that so many people saw this ending and went along with it. People actually approved this crap, and others didn't try to talk them out of doing it this way and see how it made the entire story so far worthless.

Agreed.

Layytez
11-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Iv'e said this before. The ones who enjoyed the ending are either those who wrote the story because they know everything and those who are blindly satisfied with what ever Ubisoft make.

pirate1802
11-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Iv'e said this before. The ones who enjoyed the ending are either those who wrote the story because they know everything and those who are blindly satisfied with what ever Ubisoft make.

That makes 70% of the people according to the poll... hmmm.

Layytez
11-09-2012, 05:46 PM
That makes 70% of the people according to the poll... hmmm.

Enjoyed it with no complaints.

pirate1802
11-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Enjoyed it with no complaints.

Hmm.. well I'm certainly not one of those then XD

But then I suppose you'd rarely find game endings about which people have no complaints whatsoever. I mean out of all the games I played this year, I "enjoyed the ending with no complaints" exactly one game: Alan Wake, back in January.

Kaschra
11-09-2012, 06:45 PM
The poll surprised me. After all the complaints, it still seems most people are okay with the ending.

Well, I am too. It's still my least favourite AC ending, but I don't hate it.
Even though I really liked Desmond and his death made me sad, I kinda knew he would not survive this. The name of the trophy alone... "No good deed goes unpunished"...
And he DID achieve something: he saved the world, saved the lives of billions of people. I understand why he did not chose the other option (but it was interesting to see what could have happened).
And I expected a cliffhanger for the modern day story parts - and it really happened xD
Now we have a new threat, a new goal for the modern day story - stopping Juno from taking over the world. I really can't wait to kick her ***.
But I think Desmond's ending was not emotional enough. I mean - no words from Shaun and Rebecca? Nothing? Seriously? -___-

pirate1802
11-09-2012, 06:53 PM
But I think Desmond's ending was not emotional enough. I mean - no words from Shaun and Rebecca? Nothing? Seriously? -___-

Thats my main beef as well. Though a part of me believe that has something to do with stuff they kept for AC IV..

I also really like the fact that TWCB people are in the main equation now. You know, they were just too important to be left out XD It gives the war a whole new flavour. Who knows, maybe we even would team up with Templars in future. I'll be looking forward to that XD

Kaschra
11-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Who knows, maybe we even would team up with Templars in future. I'll be looking forward to that XD
I really believe this could happen, especially after AC3. The Templars were portayed much more grey in this game, and even Desmond wondered why they did not team up to save the world together.

zerocooll21
11-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Love the info but lets try an keep it to one post each. If you want to update your post with the info presented at a later time just quote it in your post an respond there. Might seem a little out of place but I want to organize everyone's thoughts into their own self contained post. Make sense? Not trying to be jerk, just want it clean. Thanks!

thePhilCasper
11-09-2012, 09:27 PM
I liked it, buuut. I really think the ending needed more emotion, more explanation Didn't have to be anything that would spoil the rest of the series but enough to provide better closure. After 5 years I feel we should have gotten more.

For emotion I would have liked to see Desmond's sacrifice drawn out a little longer. You say the spark is what was needed. So how about start with him touching the orb, zoom into the DNA level / show some cool TWCB vodo, and slow down as you reach desmonds face. Zoom into his face, it cringes at first while the joilt of pain corse's thru his vains. Then relax face as he knows / believes in what he is doing, open his eyes / cut to a close up on the eyes. Have him look back at his father and cut scene flashes of good times they had much like in the end of Tron Legacy.

I like the Minerva out of left field bit, deff yelled out a wtf lol. I like how they tied what happen with jesus in but that needed more explanation It would have nice to see minerva/tina/juno speaking with and guiding jesus/moses thru the times they were together. Who knows, that could have been a good segway into playing a AC game in the time with jesus. I think assassin jesus might piss off a quite many people but its a thought.

How did Juno save the world? Why didn't they show how it worked? It would have been nice to see the device surround the planet. The CME ramming into it and going by.

I would have liked to see shaun and Reb holding wiliam back. I know he's been stone cold but his emails show he cares. Again, lil more emotion.

For me this journey has been more than a video game. I have grown to love the modern day timeline and feel without it this game would be just another hack and slash. I go crazy trying to find clues to see what going to happen next and feel desmond deserved a bit more.

Indeed. Assassinīs Creed used to be more than just a game... USED! WHAT A SHAAAAAAAAAMEEEEEEEE!!!

thePhilCasper
11-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Of the whole series? Not at all. But the end of a good trilogy should resolve all major conflicts and typically not in a manner that says to the player "you need to buy the next game".

And AC3 could have had a sweet ending if the writers had written the game more carefully. Connor's story is pointless, from the perspective of the overarching narrative. His character development does not fuel Desmond's in the way that Altair's memories motivated Ezio, or how Altair's memories influenced the Desmond/Vidic dialogue. Revelations is really what causes all the problems. The game is about Desmond accepting his identity as an assassin and finishing up with his ancestors. Yet what is AC3 about? Another ancestor! Connor's story was phenomenal, but very jarring after the previous game. Add on top of that the only reason we explore his backstory is to open (yet another) door. We already did this by following Ezio through AC2 and Brotherhood. Hell, that was the point of the Apple we acquire, to get us into the Grand Temple. Connor's story simply is a redundant plot point. Instead, there's not one but two doors!

The game wasn't about Desmond finding a way to stop the Sun. It was about Desmond walking into a room and dying. Now, if the writers had designed the game from the start to be about Desmond stopping the Sun? It's more than doable. But AC3 instead commits the same fundamental flaw as ME3: we spend almost the entire game in each case dealing with side conflicts, so the writers have to condense a magic solution to the overall story in the last 5-10 minutes. It makes for very artificial story-telling.

Very well said. It seems they worked only 10 minutes on last 10 minutes.

Layytez
11-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I want to see the developers response from our feedback. It should be interesting as to how they justify what they have done.

ElDoucherino
11-10-2012, 12:50 AM
My opinion?

I must confess that after seeing the ending last night I was tattered. Maybe a bit empty. But then today I started to re watch the ending over and over again, skimming through the wiki and emails and whatnot and the ending that last night felt incomplete started to make sense. My problem is like many others, the lack of closure in some sense. I don't like the idea of not having a final battle with either vidic or cross (preferably cross as I skirmish with him losing his mind would be mad fun). Just killing them of in 10 minutes Desmond game play is not enough in my book. But then they weren't the big threat. And the solution that would magically save the world was too weak for my taste but the part of sacrificing oneself was brilliant and in lore of AC universe. Happily ever after and riding unicorns would have created a larger s-storm in forums.

But that is it, Desmonds ending felt too sudden that I am declined to believe that he, in some form or shape, is still alive. Remember the conversation between him and Clay in Revelation in which Clay is wondering if he can tag along with Desmond. Something tells me that he, as he is one in a million, that the transferred his consciousness into the temple. Maybe he will be a mentor for future assassins in finding a way of bringing mean old Juno down. This is just my take of it all for now. I don't mind another cliffhanger as I grown to love AC games and just wants more. But I understand why people complain as I in the start also had my mixed emotions of it. I liked it but....that's it...that the but exists.

JCearlyyears
11-10-2012, 01:31 AM
I liked it a bit but then I really hated it. It depends on what you man by ending. As Desmond's last game, what the hell? Even as the ending, I guess, what the hell? It was a four game build-up, or five if you count the rest of AC3 before the ending, but for the sake of further elaboration, I'll say a four game build-up, a four game build-up! And THAT is the ending? How disappointing! We had the end of the world! It could have been amazing! And all we did was kill Vidic and Daniel and save the world in a short under-done cutscene. If saving the world was a more elaborate process and was more fulfilling, I'd have been okay with it, but they had all that potential and they wasted it. WASTED. I was pissed. Even something like the cutscene at the end of Revelations would have been better. I would have liked a choice: Save the world and die one way, or save the world an die another, and then gameplay and many cutscenes with emotional impact and a feeling of fulfillment, and sadness, but satisfaction and a bit of happiness, it could have been great. That's just the ending. The story writers write the story, they could have put it to any direction, and the one they choose is to shove Desmond back into the Animus so he can open a door and save the world. They could have finally liberated him, and he could have gone back into the animus just because he wanted to. They could have had time had they wanted to set the story up that way, and really, two months is a lot of time for a game that can be beaten in less time(though we don't experience the bleeding effect, two months is still plenty, considering we did more with Ezio and Altair combined in less time(I think)). Two months to save the world, he could have still gone on missions. He could have done things, they could have developed Daniel more, Vidic too, then we could have killed them. There was clearly a large amount of potential, and it was dropped. As an ending to Desmond, this sucked. It could have been tons better. I mean this in a constructive way, and if the devs are reading this, please take my advice, it makes for a better story. What's done is done, but next time, don't screw over the modern day protagonist please.

Razrback16
11-10-2012, 03:05 AM
Hated it because I love the Desmond story. I feel like it's an anchor to the story and to the present that gives a clear goal in mind of what's being attempted in the present. I also love the mystery and intrigue created by the going back in time, re-living the ancestors' goals, finding ancient artifacts that have great meaning at the present. I really hate the idea of ending Desmond's story. I'd like to see him continue to re-live the memories, find Eve in the present and combat Abstergo and eventually conquer the Templars.

pirate1802
11-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Rrrrrrrrrrrespawn!

zerocooll21
11-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Lets get some opinions! I apologize for no 4th option of "hated it, buuut", just pick the closest one and lets hear what you have to say.

odovoro
11-12-2012, 03:20 PM
i'm 50/50 about the ending
At one hand it was an awesome ending and fitted really well with Ubi obsesstion of cliffhanger endings
on the other hand it was such a punch to the face...

jamgamerforever
11-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Liked it, buuuut... it was abrupt.

Very abrupt. More weight should have been added to Desmond's choice, and his fate. And then we should have spent a little more time waiting to see if it would work, if the sun would be stopped, if Juno had kept her end of the bargain.

Concept was good, execution could have been better.

pirate1802
11-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Concept was good, execution could have been better.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

pirate1802
11-14-2012, 10:27 AM
Lets hear some more opinions :D

zhengyingli
11-14-2012, 11:32 AM
For my second playthrough, I will be leaving the energy source alone until the very end, so that I can take in all the Juno story back to back to back. Maybe that'll make the ending more effective for me.

zerocooll21
11-14-2012, 01:35 PM

:D Thanks bud!

pirate1802
11-17-2012, 08:46 AM

..some more..

Torvaldesq
11-17-2012, 09:48 AM
I was thinking of how I felt at the end of Revelations. I really loved the end of Revelations. Remembering how it kind of made the emotion well up in you to see both Altair and Ezio's story conclude together, the atmosphere of it, the lead in back to Desmond.... it was just so beautifully done and felt like it really showed how much the writers cared about those characters.

While I enjoyed the ending of AC 3, I did not get that same sense with how they ended Desmond. It was quick and kind of brutal. I very much would have preferred to see explanation as to how Juno is able to save the world (they took the time to explain the six methods that failed, which I appreciated, so it seems like they should have taken just a little time to have Juno explain why she can succeed now - it should have been part of her convincing of Desmond). I also would have preferred to see just more detail in the execution for Desmond's death. Flashbacks, visions, what have you. Something to equal the emotion of the Revelations ending for Ezio / Altair.

All that said, this doesn't feel the same as ME 3 did when I was disappointed by that. The Reapers in ME 3 were a more all-encompassing threat than even the sun was in this game. The sun threatens people's lives, but you KNOW people can survive and rebuild even if civilization is wrecked. The threat to free will is made into a bigger deal, but less imminent in terms of the threat being carried out. With ME 3, the Reapers were the end-all be-all threat to end all threats. Mass Effect's universe, while diverse and interesting, would have an exceptionally difficult time ratcheting the tension up again to the climax levels of ME 3 because no villain can compare.

Assassin's Creed does not have that problem. Juno can make for an excellent new over-arching threat. And the Templar Order can continue to succeed and dominate in other ways. I think it's worth pointing out too that Assassin's Creed probably has more opportunity to make this right in the future. When AC 4 happens, they can give us the explanation about how Juno saved the world. And as for Desmond.... I would not be surprised in the slightest if Desmond became like Clay (Subject 16) - a consciousness in the Animus or something else (perhaps a part of him traded places with Juno? Is trapped in the Temple?). I don't know if anyone noticed, but the side-quest to get Animus cheats has a programmer voice over mention downloading "his" data (that's that whole Pivot sidequest). I feel like there's still a possibility we'll get a proper goodbye for him even if he's not a protagonist when it happens (which can be okay.... people might balk now, but when it's done right in a story, it can hit all the right emotional chords for a new protagonist to be there when a former protagonist fully disappears).

I will say that Connor's story was less enthralling than I'd hoped it would be. He always seemed more naive than anyone should have a right to be in his circumstances, much too enthralled by the "freedom" lingo for the colonists (who, much as I love the revolutionary war, are involved in a fairly sophisticated struggle over freedom dealing with taxation and government representation that should have little meaning to someone like Connor - not because he can't understand it, but because the interests of his people are very separate and apart from it, and the goals of the British aren't even close to the kinds of goals the Assassin's work to stop, as the Templars want to use sci-fi technology to ACTUALLY take away free will, the British are doing little more than trying to keep territorial governance, which the Assassin's ought to be kind of apathetic to). Connor especially feels awkward because his character seems SO motivated by stopping Charles Lee even after he found out that the Templars were not responsible for burning his village as a child, but instead that it was George Washington. It felt like you as the player would get this information and expect some more passion to be evoked by it, but instead Connor would just kind of grunt, move on, and barely seem touched by it. Especially weak because the ONE big tragic formative moment for him was his mother's death. That Washington was responsible is almost something he just glosses over. That the Templars - and by extension his father and Charles Lee were not - seems to just slide right off.

Say what you want about Ezio, but the execution of his father and brothers in the first game felt emotionally impacting, and you continued to sense how that emotionally impacted him through his whole story. Connor needed some more of that.

zerocooll21
11-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Very good, thanks for sharing!

ej_the_shadow
11-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Liked it but....

I expected more from Desmond's side at the end and was pretty straight forward. Connor's ending was amazing! I loved it!

I think we'll see Desmond again like Subject 16 did in ACR. :P

psf22
11-17-2012, 04:19 PM
As I recall the general consensus (not based on this forum) was that a lot of folks didn't really care for the Desmond storyline or his current day story, activities and missions, or they did but mostly wanted it limited because it was more about reliving the past through the animus. Through storytelling and tying in a few knots folks realized that Desmond was just as important in order for the storyline to work and so that consensus has changed over the years it obviously seems.

Anyway i've been a fan of Desmond since AC1 , and i enjoyed every bit of 'his' storyline.

I feel like many have said that as a final Desmond game the ending was not really satisfying, especially considering what he did through his (non)playable parts as it didn't really have an epic ending feel, although it's supposed to come off like that, but more like a cliffhanger (which i also like) but that's more for the story to continue. I understand the ending as far as the choice he made and what it was based upon (i think), but i also think Ubisoft has done it on purpose so fans of the series go into speculation/theory mode. I don't think that Desmond is done for, but if this was the end of his story than why does it feel like he isn't done? Even if he does come back which i'm somewhat sure he will, as an AI, ghost, human form etc.. Then the execution of this whole ending would've be even less fulfulling in hindsight. If you want him to come back in any way then his send off should've been done better is what i'm saying.

To give a more conclusive example of what i'm trying to say here: Look at the end of Revelations with Ezio, you just felt it was done and it felt big. WIth Desmond it doesn't feel as big when what he did was MUCH bigger right?

I'm not saying change the ending or anything, but rather add like an extra cutscene to make it feel a bit more significant because there are a lot out there that just don't understand it or feel it.

* I think the fact that Ubisoft decided to relegate some key info to emails/database kind of 'ruined' it. I know a lot that haven't read any of it and so they missed out like for example the twist in the end. And in Connor's story idem dito.

pirate1802
11-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Some excellent points here. Hope Ubisoft is noticing.

zerocooll21
11-17-2012, 04:29 PM
Some excellent points here. Hope Ubisoft is noticing.

;)

Wournos
11-17-2012, 06:28 PM

After reading this I'm left with an even bigger "WTF?!" than I had yesterday. I wasn't impressed with the ending at all and have been pondering how the next AC game will be seeing how Desmond was "knocked out" and there would be no room for another ancestor. But now you say Desmond is dead and this was the final part of the AC series? I expected to have a game fully revolve around Desmond in present time. This just really killed it for me. I guess this is what happens after something has lived past its expectation date - the writers/developers don't know how to kill it so they whip up something that doesn't really makes sense because they have to do something. I've seen it happen with various tv series.

I guess I'll have to select 'Hate it' then. I feel pretty empty now.

pirate1802
11-17-2012, 08:12 PM
I don't think a full-on modern day AC would ever happen. I thought they made it pretty obvious Desmond would die if Juno was released, atleast physically killed.. and whoever said this is the last AC lol

thePhilCasper
11-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Here is the petition to change the ending : https://www.change.org/petitions/ubisoft-montreal-ubisoft-change-the-ending-of-desmond-miles-in-assassin-%CC%81s-creed-iii-video-game?utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=34369292 Weīll give them as much time as they need to repair what they have crashed and come across a good idea. It seems five years wasnīt enough.

zerocooll21
11-17-2012, 10:54 PM
Nah I'm cool with the petition thing. It is what it is. You have to respect the Artistic freedom whether you like it out not. Sure it sucks when you buy a game of this caliber but let it be. There is a lot more to the story, we'll have to wait to see how it goes. The fans will either hate and bail or keep buying, sales will dictate.

However, don't forget the devs read a lot of what we say. This is the Ubi hub, it would make sense the most hardcore fans be on here.

My goal of this thread was help devs see why we feel the way we do. I would hope they listen and next time they go to write the ending of the next game they take what we have to say into account. We the fans have a right to critique, just need to keep it organized and civil. No knee jerk reactions.

pirate1802
11-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Here is the petition to change the ending : https://www.change.org/petitions/ubisoft-montreal-ubisoft-change-the-ending-of-desmond-miles-in-assassin-%CC%81s-creed-iii-video-game?utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=34369292 Weīll give them as much time as they need to repair what they have crashed and come across a good idea. It seems five years wasnīt enough.

Sorry, not signing. I'd rather have them learn their lessons and work on future AC titles than "fixing" AC III's ending. I firmly believe we should vote with our wallets rather than asking devs to change their products to suit our tastes.

Wournos
11-18-2012, 10:45 AM
I don't think a full-on modern day AC would ever happen. I thought they made it pretty obvious Desmond would die if Juno was released, atleast physically killed.. and whoever said this is the last AC lol
The comment "the end of a trilogy" (very first line of the quote) gave me that impression. Also, Desmond's fate also gave this impression. I hope it doesn't mean the end of the series because that would just suck. Especially after having made the ending we've witnessed.

I too will not sign a petition. What's done is done. They have our feedback. If they're not idiotic like Jagex Ltd they will take in our feedback and use it for possible future sequels.

pirate1802
11-18-2012, 10:55 AM
The comment "the end of a trilogy" (very first line of the quote) gave me that impression. Also, Desmond's fate also gave this impression. I hope it doesn't mean the end of the series because that would just suck. Especially after having made the ending we've witnessed.

I too will not sign a petition. What's done is done. They have our feedback. If they're not idiotic like Jagex Ltd they will take in our feedback and use it for possible future sequels.

Yup Desmond's fate gave me that impression too. But that he might be alive in some other form. You know, like Clay. :D Infact alot of people think that's possible. And I'd like that to happen.
End of the trilogy means end of Desmond's story, not the series. the devs have clarified this before the game was even out. ;)

Wournos
11-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Yup Desmond's fate gave me that impression too. But that he might be alive in some other form. You know, like Clay. :D Infact alot of people think that's possible. And I'd like that to happen.
End of the trilogy means end of Desmond's story, not the series. the devs have clarified this before the game was even out. ;)

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen any comments about future AC games from the developers. Only thoughts from other players. And those can be quite detrimental. Erm.

pirate1802
11-18-2012, 06:06 PM
Only thoughts from other players. And those can be quite detrimental. Erm.

100% agreed lol.

kuled2012
11-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Desmond saying "Can I come home after this is finished dad?" And talking about the vacation...just made me extremely sad just now. Wish Ubi didn't kill him off :(

pirate1802
11-18-2012, 07:55 PM
..Now that makes me sad as well. **** it!

Kaschra
11-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Desmond saying "Can I come home after this is finished dad?" And talking about the vacation...just made me extremely sad just now. Wish Ubi didn't kill him off :(

And not to mention that he wanted to see his mother again after such a long time...
Ubisoft, this is cruel.

Desmond ;___;

thePhilCasper
11-19-2012, 03:27 PM
And not to mention that he wanted to see his mother again after such a long time...
Ubisoft, this is cruel.

Desmond ;___;
https://www.change.org/petitions/ubisoft-montreal-ubisoft-change-the-ending-of-desmond-miles-in-assassin-%CC%81s-creed-iii-video-game?utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=34369292
True. Ubisoft lost emotions... BTW Here is my petition for changing ACIII ending :

thePhilCasper
11-19-2012, 03:50 PM

Totally agreed. I tolerated the previous endings because they were meant to prepare us for ACIIIīs ending. But even there, it was nothing. Desmond achieved nothing through the whole game. He killed two Teplars who can be replaced with anyone and threw World to the hands of Juno (Her thinking was so Templarish). Desmondīs Story deserved much more than Altairīs, Ezioīs and Connorīs together. But we got only a "bit" of crap what we are "accidentally" able to compare with ME3... In its easier way : Desmond is Commander Shepard, the first civilization is the Protheans, the Templars are the indoctrinated slaves, and the sun is the Reapers? Where have I heard this story before? *facepalm* ... ACIII is a biggest wasted opportunity of the century. *Tears rolling on my floor* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Hvoxw2n88

pirate1802
11-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Desmond is Commander Shepard

Because we totally played as Desmond all through the past games. AC has no single main hero.

the first civilization is the Protheans,

Because the Protheans totally created all the races of the galaxy and once ruled over them.

the Templars are the indoctrinated slaves

Because you think the Templars side with TWCB? lulz

and the sun is the Reapers?

Every game has a central problem.

Your comparisons are... not very accurate to say the least.

thePhilCasper
11-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Because we totally played as Desmond all through the past games. AC has no single main hero.

Because the Protheans totally created all the races of the galaxy and once ruled over them.

Because you think the Templars side with TWCB? lulz

Every game has a central problem.

Your comparisons are... not very accurate to say the least.

Assassinīs Creed isnīt exactly Mass Effect but there are several similarities and I do not find them as "accidents". Desmond was just a tool and got even worse ending than Commander Shepard. He was used and he allowed the First Civ to conquer the World. I know what you mean to say. "Would it be better if he would allow humanity to vanish?!" ... Yeah, but that situation would never happen if the writers writed the ending more carefully. Desmondīs Story was about saving the world and for 5 years he was getting a messages and clues to make it so. And In The End, those who left him clues starts arguing over the past instead of thinking of the future what was their subject of communication with Desmond since the start of it... and then... Desmond touches the Glowing powerful Artifact without thinking and dies to save the world (?). Now Juno goes and controlls World only because Ubisoft want to continue in this over-dragged story... It was really unoriginal ending and we can argue on this fact however long you like...

kuled2012
11-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Just finished it again this very minute, Juno touched the pedestal and it glowed? Could she have taken Desmond's soul or something?

zugz469
11-19-2012, 09:26 PM
I liked it but it felt far from final. I get the impression it is being left open for a sequel. i' can even imagine how it starts. Juno starts to take over the planet and a limp Desmond is rescued by the team. They stick him back in the animus (it seems like it's fixed him every other time so why not at the verge of death?) As they look for a new place to hide, the animus accesses another ancestral file in his DNA. The reason why his lineage has been so special is because he is a direct decendant from the original civilization! The animus accesses that part of his DNA and we are sent back to the time of the original civilization to look for Juno's achille's heel that can be used to contain her in the present.

Anyone else like this idea?

Layytez
11-19-2012, 09:28 PM
I liked it but it felt far from final. I get the impression it is being left open for a sequel. i' can even imagine how it starts. Juno starts to take over the planet and a limp Desmond is rescued by the team. They stick him back in the animus (it seems like it's fixed him every other time so why not at the verge of death?) As they look for a new place to hide, the animus accesses another ancestral file in his DNA. The reason why his lineage has been so special is because he is a direct decendant from the original civilization! The animus accesses that part of his DNA and we are sent back to the time of the original civilization to look for Juno's achille's heel that can be used to contain her in the present.

This is what most of us have been saying. If they don't use this story or some form of it I am going to be incredibly disappointed.

pirate1802
11-20-2012, 03:34 AM
It was really unoriginal ending and we can argue on this fact however long you like...

Its not a fact; its an opinion. What people want is even more unoriginal.

thePhilCasper
11-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Its not a fact; its an opinion. What people want is even more unoriginal.

But what team of Devs could do is far more interesting than what they did. The whole game was wonderful, though. Except the ending of it.

pirate1802
11-20-2012, 07:52 PM
But what team of Devs could do is far more interesting than what they did. The whole game was wonderful, though. Except the ending of it.

To me the thought of fighting TWCB people is interesting enough. Could they have done better? Maybe. Could they have done worse? Possibly. So its in the balance for me. To each one his own.

ace3001
11-22-2012, 11:13 AM
What I have to say is basically the same thing I said for Mass Effect 3. It's not exactly the ending that's bad, but how the ending was delivered to us. It popped up out of nowhere, and then ended in a flash. It didn't even have time to leave an impact. I felt like "okay, so that's it?"

thePhilCasper
11-22-2012, 06:58 PM
To me the thought of fighting TWCB people is interesting enough. Could they have done better? Maybe. Could they have done worse? Possibly. So its in the balance for me. To each one his own.

How people can fight them? So now itīs going to turn our new Assassinīs Creed to something like Crysis?

pirate1802
11-22-2012, 08:00 PM
How people can fight them? So now itīs going to turn our new Assassinīs Creed to something like Crysis?

Maybe. The 2012 plot always seemed pretty lame to me. But now for the first time I'm interested in the modern-day storyline.

ACfan443
11-22-2012, 08:28 PM
Maybe. The 2012 plot always seemed pretty lame to me. But now for the first time I'm interested in the modern-day storyline.

It's the other way round for me

Will_Lucky
11-22-2012, 09:11 PM

Can't say I am, ending killed it for me. I'd like to say the Connor story was good...but that was weak as well. All in all the 2012 story was going just fine until that last 15 minutes....bit like Mass Effect 3 in that regard.

thePhilCasper
11-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Can't say I am, ending killed it for me. I'd like to say the Connor story was good...but that was weak as well. All in all the 2012 story was going just fine until that last 15 minutes....bit like Mass Effect 3 in that regard.

BioWare has at least re-done the Mass Effect 3 Ending... Well, if we can call it re-doing it... But they tried. Ubisoft didnīt learn from the mistakes of the others... And ACIII ending was far worse than ME3 for me. Everything in AC3 was just great, except for ending. My feeling is that Ubisoft doesnīt see Desmond as we see him. We saw his growing up in his opinions and ambitions since AC1. And we saw his changes from "the captured boy" to "assassin" with the greatest goal of ages. Desmond has turned from the "boy in Animus" to main character of AC Series after ACB because he understood his destiny which he failed to escape, at least in my eyes. If Ubisoft want to kill-off Desmond, go ahead. But if you want to kill-off the MAIN CHARACTER (Yes, Desmond turned in the main character), you must do it with amount of awesomeness. And so in the ending, I excepted Templars finding Desmond in The Grand Temple to complicate things. I was wondering because they didnīt. And I excepted Desmond to be confused in all that chaos an not to have everything clear. It seemed like he had the head of Corey May. He seemed to know what will happen in the end since the beginning. I expected from Desmond to kill Templar main Leader and stop Junoīs plan. To surprise everyone with massive twist using The Apple if he had it (for Christīs sake) or something and sabotage everyoneīs plan, even his own original one. But he just died in 30 seconds without thinking of it by touching the glowing discoball. That ending was supposed to be a conclusive and final one... But Ubisoft changed its mind... Story keeps dragging on. Iīll happily sign the petition if there is going to be one... I made one myself but I got 8 signs during a week... *cough*

Sidizen
11-24-2012, 12:36 AM
I liked it buuut, Connor, at least to me has no life, he is not like Ezio personality wise at all. He just does his job, which is fine, but it would have been cooler if Connor would have been more like Ezio.

pirate1802
11-24-2012, 03:54 AM
That ending was supposed to be a conclusive and final one... But Ubisoft changed its mind... Story keeps dragging on.

When did they ever say that?

Will_Lucky
11-24-2012, 05:54 AM
When did they ever say that?

Well it was supposed to be a trilogy, the ending has proven it is anything but that.

pirate1802
11-24-2012, 06:31 AM
Well it was supposed to be a trilogy, the ending has proven it is anything but that.

I thought they had said many times that the story would continue. Only thing they said is that it'll end Desmond's story, which, however clumsily, they did.

thePhilCasper
11-24-2012, 09:45 AM
I thought they had said many times that the story would continue. Only thing they said is that it'll end Desmond's story, which, however clumsily, they did.

And Desmondīs Story in present continues without him... Artifacts, Juno, Animus probably too and new protagonist (probably) related to Desmond. So it doesnīt end very much when everything next will be the same.

thePhilCasper
11-24-2012, 09:45 AM

Finally. Will_Lucky got it.

pirate1802
11-24-2012, 09:52 AM
And Desmondīs Story in present continues without him... Artifacts, Juno, Animus probably too and new protagonist (probably) related to Desmond. So it doesnīt end very much when everything next will be the same.

Desmond's story=the story of his life and his objective, i.e. the 2012 apocalypse. All that ended in AC3 (unless Desmond survives in some form) Ezio died after Revelations but the series continued. So we are to assume Ezio's story continues?

zerocooll21
11-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Has anyone got any info on when the devs are going to explain them selves??

EpsilonWhaler
11-25-2012, 09:15 AM
What I have to say is basically the same thing I said for Mass Effect 3. It's not exactly the ending that's bad, but how the ending was delivered to us. It popped up out of nowhere, and then ended in a flash. It didn't even have time to leave an impact. I felt like "okay, so that's it?"

The comparisons to Mass Effect are interesting.

For me, the ending to AC3 makes narrative sense compared to the themes of the universe and what happened in previous games, whereas ME3's ending appeared to throw most of what happened leading up to it out the window.

So I would say that in ME3 both the ending and the execution of it were severely lacking. In AC3 only the execution is severely lacking. So I partially agree. :)

As for the poll, I can't bring myself to vote. I definitely didn't hate it, but I didn't like it either. Can you include a "Meh" option? :p

pirate1802
11-25-2012, 09:38 AM
I think the yellow option is the "Meh" one, going by the people's responses. I was Meh towards the ending and voted that.

agentpoop
11-25-2012, 11:00 AM

agreed, a great ending would have helped this game sooooooooooo much

agentpoop
11-25-2012, 11:02 AM

they daid theyd like to do future AC's but this was the conclusion to this story arc and have said MANY time this is a trilogy

agentpoop
11-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Assassinīs Creed isnīt exactly Mass Effect but there are several similarities and I do not find them as "accidents". Desmond was just a tool and got even worse ending than Commander Shepard. He was used and he allowed the First Civ to conquer the World. I know what you mean to say. "Would it be better if he would allow humanity to vanish?!" ... Yeah, but that situation would never happen if the writers writed the ending more carefully. Desmondīs Story was about saving the world and for 5 years he was getting a messages and clues to make it so. And In The End, those who left him clues starts arguing over the past instead of thinking of the future what was their subject of communication with Desmond since the start of it... and then... Desmond touches the Glowing powerful Artifact without thinking and dies to save the world (?). Now Juno goes and controlls World only because Ubisoft want to continue in this over-dragged story... It was really unoriginal ending and we can argue on this fact however long you like...

One thing that has 0 continuity is why did Minerva tell Desmond to find the TempleS and then end up basically telling Desmond dont do anything? That just makes no sense. At first shes rooting for him to get there and knows he's in the time of the apocalypse... But when he gets to where she wanted him to go shes all like "naw son you're too late" ... THEN WHY EVEN COMMUNICATE TO DESMOND? WHY NOT TALK TO SOMEONE IN AN EARLIER PERIOD OF TIME?

agentpoop
11-25-2012, 11:06 AM

I posted something like this here : http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/728799-Where-I-think-the-series-should-go-next-SPOILERS?p=8726262#post8726262

This may not be everyone's fave because it doesnt really delve into a period of time but it'd be best for the series and give the conclusion it deserves. Ubi can do spin offs if they want to if they really wanna just money grab. But at least end the series right first. Look at the Halo series, everything wrapped up in Halo 3 but they made Halo 4 on a completely different story line and it works just fine BECAUSE the original arc was given a final conclusion.

agentpoop
11-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Totally agreed. I tolerated the previous endings because they were meant to prepare us for ACIIIīs ending. But even there, it was nothing. Desmond achieved nothing through the whole game. He killed two Teplars who can be replaced with anyone and threw World to the hands of Juno (Her thinking was so Templarish). Desmondīs Story deserved much more than Altairīs, Ezioīs and Connorīs together. But we got only a "bit" of crap what we are "accidentally" able to compare with ME3... In its easier way : Desmond is Commander Shepard, the first civilization is the Protheans, the Templars are the indoctrinated slaves, and the sun is the Reapers? Where have I heard this story before? *facepalm* ... ACIII is a biggest wasted opportunity of the century. *Tears rolling on my floor* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Hvoxw2n88

Exactly, all the previous cliffhangers is one giant monumental build up to AC3 which should be this huge climactic event.... And instead we got what we got...

I really hope Ubisoft actually reads this stuff

agentpoop
11-25-2012, 11:22 AM
I was thinking of how I felt at the end of Revelations. I really loved the end of Revelations. Remembering how it kind of made the emotion well up in you to see both Altair and Ezio's story conclude together, the atmosphere of it, the lead in back to Desmond.... it was just so beautifully done and felt like it really showed how much the writers cared about those characters.

While I enjoyed the ending of AC 3, I did not get that same sense with how they ended Desmond. It was quick and kind of brutal. I very much would have preferred to see explanation as to how Juno is able to save the world (they took the time to explain the six methods that failed, which I appreciated, so it seems like they should have taken just a little time to have Juno explain why she can succeed now - it should have been part of her convincing of Desmond). I also would have preferred to see just more detail in the execution for Desmond's death. Flashbacks, visions, what have you. Something to equal the emotion of the Revelations ending for Ezio / Altair.

All that said, this doesn't feel the same as ME 3 did when I was disappointed by that. The Reapers in ME 3 were a more all-encompassing threat than even the sun was in this game. The sun threatens people's lives, but you KNOW people can survive and rebuild even if civilization is wrecked. The threat to free will is made into a bigger deal, but less imminent in terms of the threat being carried out. With ME 3, the Reapers were the end-all be-all threat to end all threats. Mass Effect's universe, while diverse and interesting, would have an exceptionally difficult time ratcheting the tension up again to the climax levels of ME 3 because no villain can compare.

Connor especially feels awkward because his character seems SO motivated by stopping Charles Lee even after he found out that the Templars were not responsible for burning his village as a child, but instead that it was George Washington. It felt like you as the player would get this information and expect some more passion to be evoked by it, but instead Connor would just kind of grunt, move on, and barely seem touched by it. Especially weak because the ONE big tragic formative moment for him was his mother's death. That Washington was responsible is almost something he just glosses over. That the Templars - and by extension his father and Charles Lee were not - seems to just slide right off.

Say what you want about Ezio, but the execution of his father and brothers in the first game felt emotionally impacting, and you continued to sense how that emotionally impacted him through his whole story. Connor needed some more of that.

I re watched the ACR ending today and was so sad by it, cause we grew so close to Ezio . I remember when I was playing it during that last cut scene just thinking this is the last of Ezio I'll ever get and being legitimately sad. And Embers was just... :'( Ubi just didn't seem attached to Desmond in any sort of way cause he wasn't their money maker like Ezio was so they scrapped him which is honestly awful. And the points of about Connor are right, I feel like forcing him to continue to look for Lee was a bad attempt to make him seem more like an Assassin even though he never really feels like one . There was ni emotional impact in this game after Connor's mom dies. After that he's just kinda naive and pissed off

pirate1802
11-25-2012, 12:03 PM
they daid theyd like to do future AC's but this was the conclusion to this story arc and have said MANY time this is a trilogy

And it did conclude the 2012/Desmond story arc. Poorly done, but still done.

Mega8BitPanda
11-25-2012, 04:32 PM
One thing that has 0 continuity is why did Minerva tell Desmond to find the TempleS and then end up basically telling Desmond dont do anything? That just makes no sense. At first shes rooting for him to get there and knows he's in the time of the apocalypse... But when he gets to where she wanted him to go shes all like "naw son you're too late" ... THEN WHY EVEN COMMUNICATE TO DESMOND? WHY NOT TALK TO SOMEONE IN AN EARLIER PERIOD OF TIME?

Because Minerva never had the power of foresight beyond " Hey, the world is going to end again like a cycle." Never once did she claim to see the future beyond this therefore Juno was not in her plans to be there waiting to use the device as a bartering chip to let her out. By the time she did know this the other messages were made; she does actually address this...

As Pirate said, it does wrap up the story, sure, but it is poorly done. The Juno story is a new arc entirely and the 2012 threat is over, they did do what they claimed just in a cheap way.

zerocooll21
11-25-2012, 04:33 PM
Because Minerva never had the power of foresight beyond " Hey, the world is going to end again like a cycle." Never once did she claim to see the future beyond this therefore Juno was not in her plans to be there waiting to use the device as a bartering chip to let her out. By the time she did know this the other messages were made; she does actually address this...

As Pirate said, it does wrap up the story, sure, but it is poorly done. The Juno story is a new arc entirely and the 2012 threat is over, they did do what they claimed just in a cheap way.

+1

Will_Lucky
11-25-2012, 05:10 PM
And it did conclude the 2012/Desmond story arc. Poorly done, but still done.

No it didn't, it altered the arc. That last 15 minutes changed it so that Desmond, Connor and Clay were all seen to be mere puppets of Juno and her overall efforts to be resurrected.

pirate1802
11-25-2012, 05:20 PM
No it didn't, it altered the arc. That last 15 minutes changed it so that Desmond, Connor and Clay were all seen to be mere puppets of Juno and her overall efforts to be resurrected.

Ok, whichever way you see it..

GosuGian
11-25-2012, 05:55 PM
Liked it, Buuut

The ending isn't complete lot's of plot holes.. like desmond said that is his own decision to kill lucy explains that juno isn't involve

thePhilCasper
11-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Exactly, all the previous cliffhangers is one giant monumental build up to AC3 which should be this huge climactic event.... And instead we got what we got...

I really hope Ubisoft actually reads this stuff

Agreed. Iīm glad that someone has understood me.

Shad0wmancer1
11-27-2012, 09:55 PM
ending absolutely sucked

zerocooll21
11-27-2012, 11:16 PM
They devs better come out an do some explaining. IDK why its taken them soo long.

Layytez
11-27-2012, 11:47 PM
They devs better come out an do some explaining. IDK why its taken them soo long.

They are scared. They said the were nervous about the ending and we all can see why. They fear being heckled for this humiliating ending. They feel confident in themselves but in the way they ended it because they know what is coming next whereas we don't. They should have done a better job so that we are pleased and they still have options.

TrueAssassin77
11-28-2012, 12:34 AM
my speculation: the games will be still animus based.and will not take place in modern day mainly as usual. the assassins are using the animus to go back in time to each of there ancestors who have located the a piece of eden. there goal is to amass enough pieces of eden in order to do away with juno.

this ties in with ubisofts yearly game plan. each year or every 2 a different assassin will take the animus for a spin and locate a different piece of eden

Dracosaber
11-28-2012, 02:43 AM
I myself liked the ending, didn't love it, but I did like it. I feel they could have made it a bit more climactic, but at the same time, the same could be said about many stories. I still think Harry Potter's ending could have been more climactic, but that's besides the point. To me, this ending was meant to be controversial, the devs must have known, but it concludes well in my opinion. The community unfortunately wanted Desmond dead, that is the community's fault, no one really liked him apparently, so there's that. But also, if one were to realize who Juno is based on, the ending makes even more sense. Hera/Juno in mythology is very spiteful, and at times power-hungry. In the game, Juno would undoubtedly blame humans for what happened, and would do anything in her power to get in the way of the other "gods", survive, and exact revenge. The moment Juno was introduced, we should have known something unpleasant was going to happen in the end. Again, they should have made it more "epic" perhaps, more meaningful, but it all ties in very well, and makes sense.

Also, the part about Juno maybe not controlling Desmond to kill Lucy, one must remember that Juno WAS still forcing him to kill her, what I got from Desmond's speeches about the event was that he basically stopped resisting upon being shown what it meant if he didn't kill her. He still fought it, the shock of being controlled and then finding something out like that would have been too much, thus the coma.

All in all, I loved the storyline of the game. Could have maybe done a little less with Haythem, but meh. I loved Connor, I thought he was quite believable. Naive, vengeful, and tunnel-visioned sound about right, yet he was willing to learn about the Templars and even questioned many ideals on both sides. That doesn't sound one-dimensional to me. Could have done with a little more personality, but as a character, I thought he was great. Much more personality than Altair, just not as much as Ezio. People forget that not everyone can be as charismatic.

Well, that's my rant on the story of the game. Sorry for the length.

montagemik
11-28-2012, 06:01 AM

To be fair - if you go back & replay all the previous AC games - JUNO has always seemed more abrupt & less of a benevolent character in her tone & manner of instructions.
Even in concept artwork - she looks like an evil ***** compared to minerva.

Wasn't a totally unexpected revelation to find her motives to be entirely for her benefit not ours in the end.

zhengyingli
11-28-2012, 06:22 AM
To be fair - if you go back & replay all the previous AC games - JUNO has always seemed more abrupt & less of a benevolent character in her tone & manner of instructions.
Even in concept artwork - she looks like an evil ***** compared to minerva.

Wasn't a totally unexpected revelation to find her motives to be entirely for her benefit not ours in the end.
You just described my first impression of her. On top of that, I was, still am, more prone to believe Athena over Hera on a Greek Myth basis. They may not be exactly the deity described in our myths, but the similar characterizations are present.

Ferrith
01-20-2013, 03:45 AM

True. When at the end of AC:Brotherhood Desmond and the rest entered the Vatican Chapel to find a way to access the Vault and Juno's hologram appeared and started talking to him, her tone alone made it crystal clear she despised and hated human race. Immediately one knew she was up to no good.

BATISTABUS
01-20-2013, 04:48 AM
Connor's ending was awesome. Desmond's ending was...alright.