PDA

View Full Version : Did we jump too far ahead in Assassin's Creed?

sh4dow6unny
11-06-2012, 10:54 PM
i'm not sure what intentions ubisoft has for the franchise, but it feels like it might be ending soon.

now i'm obviously basing this statement with an average knowledge of history, but what's after connor? i mean, napoleon comes later, i suppose having a story with texan heroes (james bowie, william travis and friends, who are obvious Templars, LOL). there are the world wars, but is that leaping far too forward? to me the appeal of assassin's is climbing stuff, and having blades and swords as primary weapons; delving into these later historical events seems as if it would trivialize what we've come to appreciate with the franchise.

i was reading some cool stuff in this current game, about previous assassin's, i saw some backround information on a female asian assassin who was a concubine and was one of the last assassin's to see ezio before dying (it's in the animus database). but this would require a few steps back?

going too fast will just end up feeling like an outdated splinter cell....................

WAIT A MINUTE, is Adam FIsher an ASSASSIN!? haha, seriously though.. :o

Escappa
11-06-2012, 10:57 PM
They have said that the good thing about this games is that thanks to the animus they can allways jump BACK in time if wanted.

zhengyingli
11-06-2012, 10:59 PM
They designed this series to go on forever, as in there is an infinite amount of possiblilities. As long as they wrap up story archs regularly, they should be alright. On the note of jumping forward, Hutchinson has said if they keep jumping forward, they're basically doomed to run out of history very soon, so I highly doubt they'll charge full speed ahead.

sh4dow6unny
11-06-2012, 11:00 PM
oh cool! i wasn't too sure if it had been addressed, this is a relief!! I'd love to see some stuff with Alexander the Great, or Chinese culture (Samurai and what not) i love Greek history too, so i hope they consider all of these.

ze_topazio
11-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Why do people always think the series can only move forward in time?

pacmanate
11-07-2012, 12:10 AM
^ This. They don't have to keep coming forward, they can go whatever direction they want.

Free_Hidings
11-07-2012, 12:28 AM
Moving forward is the only thing that really makes sense with the current Desmond storyline, but they can certainly create new plots and such which allow travel to older periods. I agree with OP, I want some more stuff around the AC1 era. Middle ages, some classic castle battles would be awesome with the new Anvil Next engine, instead of thousands of people shooting, have thousands of warriors firing arrows and charging with swords...

I really want Fuedal Japan over all else though... Tenchu has left me pining

Escappa
11-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Moving forward is the only thing that really makes sense with the current Desmond storyline, but they can certainly create new plots and such which allow travel to older periods. I agree with OP, I want some more stuff around the AC1 era. Middle ages, some classic castle battles would be awesome with the new Anvil Next engine, instead of thousands of people shooting, have thousands of warriors firing arrows and charging with swords...

I really want Fuedal Japan over all else though... Tenchu has left me pining

Yeah, imagine how much better AC1 would have been with all new features (recruits, better fighting-system, sync-objectives, more different missions, deeper story etc) if they do that, the time-setting is very good (with REAL templars) I would love 1200th century greece or something.

Free_Hidings
11-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Yeah, imagine how much better AC1 would have been with all new features (recruits, better fighting-system, sync-objectives, more different missions, deeper story etc) if they do that, the time-setting is very good (with REAL templars) I would love 1200th century greece or something.

No doubt, though I take issue with a few of your points.

The combat system imo was the best untill AC3, as far as actual combat mechanics go. Brotherhood looked the best, but AC1 took a certain amount of skill and timing which was awesome.

I thought also that the story was really good, though yeah they could make it deeper. Definately variation in missions would be a plus, though the main missions in AC1 were pretty cool because of they they worked, like how you walk into a cutscene sorta. Very cool.

charles529
11-07-2012, 03:51 AM
what they could have done is add some humanity to this mistake. Nothing in AC 3 is very good. Robotic main character, no relationships, quicktime fights as if we are all 13 years old playing an M-17 game.

Razrback16
11-07-2012, 04:01 AM
OP: Yes, IMO I feel they jumped too far ahead. I'd like to elaborate more on my feelings on this to address the point some folks made above about the ability to jump backward in time but I would have to likely include spoilers from the end of AC3 so I'll refrain for now. :)

SolsticeXI
11-07-2012, 04:55 AM
I was hoping if they might jump back to the 1st Civilization era.

pirate1802
11-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Well they can jump forward and back in time. Why do people think we only have to move in one direction XD
AC is a series with infinite possibilities, because history is infinite.

AoDGremlins
11-07-2012, 05:51 AM
what they could have done is add some humanity to this mistake. Nothing in AC 3 is very good. Robotic main character, no relationships, quicktime fights as if we are all 13 years old playing an M-17 game.

Oh gee, wait to stay on topic with your opinion (which i disagree with). I personally don't think that the AC series will go on much longer. There isn't much else they can do without re-using old material or going to far ahead to the point in which it no longer feels like a true assassins creed game.

BustinONyoFACE
11-07-2012, 06:40 AM
I remember talking to Sean when I decided to leave the animus one time, and he was over by the huge blue wall with the signs and all that fancy writing. I made Desmond talk to him and they were having a conversation and Sean says something like this..."It would be interesting to find out how the first civilizations is...maybe after all this we can go in the animus and go back to that time period?" and Desmond says sure. Possibly foreshadowing the next game? :confused:

DualFace
11-07-2012, 06:51 AM
I was hoping if they might jump back to the 1st Civilization era.

I think it's pretty obvious that's what Ubisoft has in mind after hearing this little interactive conversation you can have with Shaun if you jump
out of the Animus. If so, I imagine Ubisoft would be jumping back to that timeline and forward again to keep continuity with ACIII's after-credits
scene(s).

I'd rather not have the same writer though. Dude's been pissing me off with completely anti-climactic BS since Revelations.

Spoiler: I'm also rather annoyed by the MAJOR parallels this game is having with the Matrix with the whole Agent Smith
escaping into the real world. (Juno). Ugh, seriously dude? Really? C'mon....-_-

pirate1802
11-07-2012, 06:57 AM
I'd rather have the writer who's been writing AC since AC1 than a newbie someone who comes in and takes the storyline to a whole different tangent.