PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible / likely to get a patch that allows background music?

Free_Hidings
11-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Probably the biggest (and one of very few) faults I have with AC3 is the lack of background music while travelling. The music in AC has always been stellar, and AC3 is no different. It's a real shame for me to not hear moer of this great music while free roaming around. Even if they could bring in a patch or something that just plays a few songs on loop, there is music that plays during missions which would fit free roaming perfectly.

I don't know how programming and stuff works, but I think surely this shouldn't be too much of a hassle, as all the content is already there, it just needs to activate during free roam as opposed to just during missions. I do like hearing the sounds of the forest and things but music overall increases the enjoyment for me, and there is a slider for music so you can always turn it down if you want to do some hunting etc.

Really would like to see this back in and it seems like a more reasonable and likely thing for them to implement compared to some other suggestions (Multiplayer naval battles, for example)

TlNSTAAFL
11-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Kind of want this. There's too many quiet parts. I get into fights, just to hear music, sometimes. I still remember how epic if felt, hearing Jesper Kyde's music from AC 2, running through the rooftops of venice.

Assassin_M
11-06-2012, 11:24 PM
The worst part is, there is actually ambient music that works so well for free roam, BUT... and I say it with great grief.. those are only during missions..Who`s bright Idea was this ??

TrueAssassin77
11-06-2012, 11:31 PM
The worst part is, there is actually ambient music that works so well for free roam, BUT... and I say it with great grief.. those are only during missions..Who`s bright Idea was this ??

devs got lazy. like they did in alot of parts in this game imo. still a great game, but to me it seems like they said " WOOT! finally we finished the frontier map! ok now lets get to the other parts! uh oh, not enough time! throw in some crap, and call it a game"

Assassin_M
11-06-2012, 11:36 PM
devs got lazy. like they did in alot of parts in this game imo. still a great game, but to me it seems like they said " WOOT! finally we finished the frontier map! ok now lets get to the other parts! uh oh, not enough time! throw in some crap, and call it a game"
I would not call them lazy, because Music is barely any work...

I think they may have actually done this on purpose thinking that people may like it.. :|

ACfan443
11-06-2012, 11:37 PM

This was my thought since I first started playing it. The music is actually good, and it works really well, especially the music for the frontier, but unfortunately like you said, it's only playing during missions.

I'd actually love a patch that would allow the music to play during free roam. It just feels empty without it.

EDIT: or if the devs are really keen on this non music idea, I would propose they make a patch where players can switch music on/off in the options menu.

Assassin_M
11-06-2012, 11:39 PM
This was my thought since I first started playing it. The music is actually good, and it works really well, especially the music for the frontier, but unfortunately like you said, it's only playing during missions.

I'd actually love a patch that would allow the music to play during free roam. It just feels empty without it.
I just hope they actually listen and not give us the "Removable armor breaks the game" treatment

ACfan443
11-06-2012, 11:43 PM
I just hope they actually listen and not give us the "Removable armor breaks the game" treatment

Agreed. This is all constructive feedback and they should use it wisely :)

apresmode
11-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Music has been such a big part of AC it is a shame not to hear much of it in AC3. I spend a lot of time wandering and exploring - not doing missions and it does get lonely out there in woods with no music.

Free_Hidings
11-06-2012, 11:56 PM
I think they decided to leave it out to create a more "real" feeling while in the Frontier, especially with the animals and all that. You can hear leaves crunching underfoot, hear rabbits.... making that noise they make (squeaking?) hear bears roaring etc etc.. So I think they were wanting to put emphasis on the sounds of the forest (and I guess the city too)

But as M said the music in the missions is absolutely perfect for free roam, and if we want to hear the ambient sounds we could mute the music ourselves. It's cool when you're hunting to have total silence except for the sounds of the forest, sure, but what about the hours spent chasing almanacs and chests and trinkets? =\

twenty_glyphs
11-07-2012, 12:01 AM
If they really left out ambient music just so we could hear ambient sounds, that's a terrible idea and excuse. All of the 4 previous games had ambient music and also had tons of ambient city life sounds. I never once had a problem hearing the sounds of the city over the music because the music was always well-crafted to not be too loud or bombastic. If anything, this game feels like there's even less ambient sounds in the city, like town criers and conversations and hammering and such.

To the OP: don't get your hopes up. They never patched Revelations to fix what was likely a programming bug, they are almost certainly not patching AC3 to change what seems like an intentional design decision with the music. Someone there apparently decided that despite what the fans think, they know better and Jesper Kyd wasn't fantastic and there's too much music in this series. It's a shame that you could see this idea taking hold in Revelations (ambient music was too quiet in the game when it did play), and now they've taken it to its conclusion and made it even worse in AC3.

Free_Hidings
11-07-2012, 12:24 AM
If they really left out ambient music just so we could hear ambient sounds, that's a terrible idea and excuse. All of the 4 previous games had ambient music and also had tons of ambient city life sounds. I never once had a problem hearing the sounds of the city over the music because the music was always well-crafted to not be too loud or bombastic. If anything, this game feels like there's even less ambient sounds in the city, like town criers and conversations and hammering and such.

To the OP: don't get your hopes up. They never patched Revelations to fix what was likely a programming bug, they are almost certainly not patching AC3 to change what seems like an intentional design decision with the music. Someone there apparently decided that despite what the fans think, they know better and Jesper Kyd wasn't fantastic and there's too much music in this series. It's a shame that you could see this idea taking hold in Revelations (ambient music was too quiet in the game when it did play), and now they've taken it to its conclusion and made it even worse in AC3.

Yeah you're right, that's just the only logical (or not) reason I could think of for them removing it. I feel it was to emphasise the wildlife blah blah blah, as you say in all the past games there was ambient sound and we could still have music. I didn't even notice this too much on my first playthrough as I mostly chugged through the missions, but now as I take time to do everything possible before progressing through the story, it's way too noticable, and sad...

I'm not one to make petitions and try to "rally the troops" and all that, but I imagine surely others have mentioned the same thing, and since the content is all there, how hard would it be to just patch in the songs that play during missions to play during free roam too? I wouldn't even mind if it was 1 song looped, that might be a bit cheap but better than nothing, especially since the music is great anyway.

UrDeviant1
11-07-2012, 12:29 AM
I'v spent hours roaming around the frontier and It would definitely benefit from some great music!

kriegerdesgottes
11-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Yea I am disappointed with this as well. You would think after seeing what a huge affect the music had on ACII that they would know better but apparently after all the whining we did over Revelations being glitched as far as the music went they did not learn. The game is still pretty great though and at least we get it during missions and fighting.

TrueAssassin77
11-07-2012, 12:34 AM

ohhh ok, its not laziness! it is stupidity....

Assassin_M
11-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Yea I am disappointed with this as well. You would think after seeing what a huge affect the music had on ACII that they would know better but apparently after all the whining we did over Revelations being glitched as far as the music went they did not learn. The game is still pretty great though and at least we get it during missions and fighting.
You know, one time while travelling from the Homestead to the Frontier after the loading, Some piece of music started playing and It was just majestic. It completely transformed the atmosphere of the Frontier. to the better, might I add..

TrueAssassin77
11-07-2012, 12:40 AM
You know, one time while travelling from the Homestead to the Frontier after the loading, Some piece of music started playing and It was just majestic. It completely transformed the atmosphere of the Frontier. to the better, might I add..

earlier i was in NY. and music started blasting out of nowhere while free-roaming! it was awesome! then it bugged off

CalgaryJay
11-07-2012, 12:41 AM

Agreed, playing it right now, just left Homestead & heard it, its very good.

And agreed with Free_Hidings, I think the "real" factor is exactly why they did it. As I've probably mentioned too many times in other threads, I'm fine with no music in the Frontier, or at least a minimal amount, but the cities definitely need something. Everything just feels so much more...alive with a soundtrack playing.

ACfan443
11-07-2012, 12:44 AM

That happened to me as well, it was the eerie ominous music, it added to the atmosphere and character of the frontier. For the short period of time it lasted, it sounded great.
I really want to know which bright spark decided that removing music would be a good idea..

DSTRVCTION
11-07-2012, 12:54 AM
This is something I really want as well. I was just listening to older Assassin's Creed soundtracks, and while listening, all memories came back. The soundtracks are magnificent, through the music you really get emotionally attached to the game. I do hope somehow this will be patched.

Free_Hidings
11-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Yeah the music ties in with the emotion and the "feel" of the game, one of the reasons I really love Brotherhood is that relaxing feeling riding around the countryside on your horse with that awesome, awesome song playing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyee46OFCkc

It made me feel more immersed in the time period and setting, even though in real life they might not have had beautiful music following their every move ;) Sure beats listening to the occasional click of my PS3 or the vibration of my phone, the sound of my sister hacking away at the keyboard, etc, etc

DSTRVCTION
11-07-2012, 01:30 AM
I always loved this one, sounds a bit similar. I used to climb to the top of the Duomo, and wait for the part at 2:50. It was such a beautiful sight at night, I will never forget the impact that game had on me. I hope ACIII will do the same .. But I really want some music :(

http://youtu.be/6mn_PIAh72A

This isn't even my type of music, but somehow I'm able to listen to this for hours and hours. I really want this in-game!

Assassin_M
11-07-2012, 01:33 AM
The thing is, Lorne`s Tracks are actually awesome. Its really a missed opportunity not having them during free roam, because Lorne`s ambient tracks are ACTUALLY AWESOME (Surprisingly so)

DSTRVCTION
11-07-2012, 01:40 AM
The thing is, Lorne`s Tracks are actually awesome. Its really a missed opportunity not having them during free roam, because Lorne`s ambient tracks are ACTUALLY AWESOME (Surprisingly so)

I don't care if it was Jesper or Lorne, they did it together in Revelations. They're both great producers, I want to hear his music while free-roaming.
Would it matter starting a petition on this subject?

Assassin_M
11-07-2012, 01:42 AM
I don't care if it was Jesper or Lorne, they did it together in Revelations. They're both great producers, I want to hear his music while free-roaming.
Would it matter starting a petition on this subject?
I don't want to sound Cynical, but I don't want to sound like a dreamer either, because if this was Intentional, then no matter how much we cry, it just wont work..

TrueAssassin77
11-07-2012, 01:43 AM

*GASP* you lie!? blasphemy!!!

Assassin_M
11-07-2012, 01:45 AM
*GASP* you lie!? blasphemy!!!
What ._.

TrueAssassin77
11-07-2012, 01:45 AM
What ._.
it was sarcasm man

Assassin_M
11-07-2012, 01:47 AM
it was sarcasm man
Mine was too;)

DSTRVCTION
11-07-2012, 01:49 AM
I don't want to sound Cynical, but I don't want to sound like a dreamer either, because if this was Intentional, then no matter how much we cry, it just wont work..

Well, there's nothing we can do other than trying.

TrueAssassin77
11-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Mine was too;)

ugh

im so dense

ACfan443
11-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Well, there's nothing we can do other than trying.

I think starting a petition is a good idea, although it would be unfortunate if they completely dismissed it.

By the way, how difficult is it to actually make a patch which would allow music to play in the background?

pirate1802
11-07-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm going to play the ambient tracks in background while running this game when I get it for my PC. A decent workaround methinks :P

mattduck69
11-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Thats the thing that bugs me with this game...the atmosphere doesnt do it for me..it would just be the lack of music but the cities didnt really do anything for me like any of the other cities, especially roma and constantinople, they were amazing! just sitting there on top of galta tower looking out to the skyline...Ezio was right when he said at the begining of revelations about no other skyline having one as good as istanbul in europe. i miss that..now im not sure if new york and bosten had anything special back then so correct me if im wrong :S I sure hope that the next game picks yet another amazing place to be set in! OHHH back on topic sorry haha yeah if they can put a patch in for that itd be awesome...i loved the song that placed in venice on AC2! it was incredible :D

ProdiGurl
11-07-2012, 02:00 PM
I have very few criticisms of AC3 so far.... but lack of music is my main one. I've come to notice that music is central to the AC brand and it's really important to set mood & tone to the entire game experience. I'd be happy with a patch but I agree w/ others for a workaround to just play some of your own music while you play for now.

Requiscent
11-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Unfortunately, I have to agree. With the exceptions of GTA games, I usually prefer ambient music when free roaming. Thankfully, you can play tracks from the game if you burn them onto a disc and into the console. I do that with the homestead track in the frontier, I really recommend it. It fits surprisingly well and brings more life into the frontier.

ProdiGurl
11-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Can you explain how you do that? You make a DVD of music... but you must have the game downloaded into your console so they both play at the same time?

Requiscent
11-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Can you explain how you do that? You make a DVD of music... but you must have the game downloaded into your console so they both play at the same time?

Simply get the tracks you desire, then burn them onto a rewritable (blank) disc. I used Windows Media Player for that. Then, put the disc into the console (in my case the 360) and rip them into the consoles' hard drive. When that's finished you can select the track you want (either individually or all of them). Then just adjust the volume and you'll have ambient music. Keep in mind though that it overrides any other music, so it'll keep playing even if you're in combat.

Mr_Shade
11-07-2012, 11:36 PM
Feedback threads guys ;)

Make sure you are putting your thoughts and requests in there too - so they are not missed ;)

the_atm
11-08-2012, 12:51 AM
One thing I found about the difference between Lorne and Jesper is Lorne does more.... action music, if you notice she did the main theme, and most of the battle scenes while Jesper did the background, so sadly that's what happens when you have only Lorne doing all the music.

I love Jesper kyd and I wish he would do more AC music... but yes we need background music

Assassin_M
11-08-2012, 12:54 AM
One thing I found about the difference between Lorne and Jesper is Lorne does more.... action music, if you notice she did the main theme, and most of the battle scenes while Jesper did the background, so sadly that's what happens when you have only Lorne doing all the music.

I love Jesper kyd and I wish he would do more AC music... but yes we need background music
Lorne ? She ? 0_o

and again, Its not because the composer is different. There actually is Ambient music made by Lorne in the Game..

MisterEFQ
11-08-2012, 01:09 AM

And you know that the devs got lazy because you were apart of the development of the game?

Oh wait..........

TrueAssassin77
11-08-2012, 01:12 AM
And you know that the devs got lazy because you were apart of the development of the game?

Oh wait..........

notice the "it seems to me"

implies that its my opinion.....................

oh wait........................

De Filosoof
11-08-2012, 01:29 AM
I would not call them lazy, because Music is barely any work...

I think they may have actually done this on purpose thinking that people may like it.. :|

Music is barely any work. Ha.

Hope Jesper returns for the next AC game.
Got kinda tired of the main theme melody playing in almost every cutscene.

the_atm
11-08-2012, 02:14 AM
because you know that the devs make music... which they don't. and sorry not familar with Lorne or what ever.

MisterEFQ
11-08-2012, 05:00 PM
notice the "it seems to me"

implies that its my opinion.....................

oh wait........................

You sentence was: "devs got lazy."

Maybe you should learn to comprehend your own words, and stop talking from your rear.

True_Assassin92
11-08-2012, 05:21 PM
If you compare AC3's soundtrack to AC2's, enough is said. Balfe did a great job, but there are like 16 tracks whilst AC 2 had more than double and yet it had a smaller developing cycle. So yes, I think they got lazier :).

CalgaryJay
11-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Ya they do rehash the same tracks too much in this one, they're good but get pretty played out after awhile.

Just amazes me how completely opposite they went with music in this game. It went from being one of their biggest features to just completely ignored. Its quite the jump.

TrueAssassin77
11-08-2012, 05:46 PM
You sentence was: "devs got lazy."

Maybe you should learn to comprehend your own words, and stop talking from your rear.
Are u daft? Can no one have an opinion? I'm not sure why you are taking it so personally. Did I insult you mother? Was I even referring to you to begin with? Nope. Stop being butthurt over something that shouldn't concern you. You should learn to recognize when you are not being spoken to and stopping talking nonsense from your a$$

MisterEFQ
11-08-2012, 06:21 PM
I find it funny that you call me daft when you can't spell simple words. You can have the opinion that the sun is pink, it says a lot about you.

But please continue to talk from your rear, not comprehend simple statements, and complain when somebody responds to somebody on a message board. It says even more about you.

Frank9182011
11-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I've posted this in another thread on the same topic, but it seems that people have the music cutting in and out while on the Frontier and in New York. If this is really the case - if the music is cutting in and out randomly, and not simply totally absent during free roam - then this likely suggests that the lack of music is a bug rather than a design choice.

I've done a cursory Google search for other threads on the matter, but haven't been able to find any potential "fan fixes," particularly for the Playstation 3, which does not let you play music on the system while playing AC3 (taking away the ability to play the soundtrack on the PS3 while playing the game). Anyone else have any "fan fixes" for this issue? On a side note, if we're vocal enough, will Ubisoft actually pay attention to the forum on their official site? It seems that this bug would be rather simple to fix, since the music already exists and is already coded in.

Free_Hidings
11-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Honestly I don't want to play music seperately anyway, It doesn't synch up with combat and all that, though I guess when feather collecting it would be good. Thankfully I now have most collectables available to me, so I will get a bit of a reprieve in silence by doing another sequence :)

Frank9182011
11-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Honestly I don't want to play music seperately anyway, It doesn't synch up with combat and all that, though I guess when feather collecting it would be good. Thankfully I now have most collectables available to me, so I will get a bit of a reprieve in silence by doing another sequence :)

I agree that playing music separately is not ideal - I wasn't very keen on the idea myself - so being unable to do so on the PS3 isn't a huge loss. However, when one is free-roaming/collecting treasures/etc., is there any other way around this (a "fan fix" as I said earlier)? Perhaps fire up a mission to start the free roam music, then never go to your destination and instead deviate and go collecting? Again, just spit-balling here.

twenty_glyphs
11-08-2012, 08:41 PM
On a side note, if we're vocal enough, will Ubisoft actually pay attention to the forum on their official site? It seems that this bug would be rather simple to fix, since the music already exists and is already coded in.

No, they won't pay attention. At least not in a way that brings about change. We were incredibly vocal last year with the Revelations background music glitch, on this forum and many other places across the internet, and no fix ever came. I even tweeted UbiGabe how incredibly disappointed I was and got a response and filed a support ticket with Ubisoft Support. That was definitely a bug, and they still never fixed it even after 4 or 5 patches. In AC3, no ambient music seems to be a design decision, so I really doubt it will ever be changed.

It's incredibly sad. I don't know if it's incompetence or arrogance that's ruined the once great musical hallmark of this series. The funny thing is, I noticed last night that ambient music plays when you leave the Animus and explore as Desmond and it's actually pretty good. Sad they put it in for that small part of the game, but not for the important free-roaming as Connor.

ACfan443
11-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I'll ask again (anyone knowledgable on patches) is it difficult to make a patch which plays background music?

Frank9182011
11-08-2012, 08:45 PM
No, they won't pay attention. At least not in a way that brings about change. We were incredibly vocal last year with the Revelations background music glitch, on this forum and many other places across the internet, and no fix ever came. I even tweeted UbiGabe how incredibly disappointed I was and got a response and filed a support ticket with Ubisoft Support. That was definitely a bug, and they still never fixed it even after 4 or 5 patches. In AC3, no ambient music seems to be a design decision, so I really doubt it will ever be changed.

It's incredibly sad. I don't know if it's incompetence or arrogance that's ruined the once great musical hallmark of this series. The funny thing is, I noticed last night that ambient music plays when you leave the Animus and explore as Desmond and it's actually pretty good. Sad they put it in for that small part of the game, but not for the important free-roaming as Connor.

Interestingly, since the free-roaming music seems to be cutting in and out for people, this makes me think that the absence of it is a bug rather than a design choice. Why compose the free-roam music and not use it? That said, the end result is the same - whether it's intentional or a bug.

DSTRVCTION
11-09-2012, 12:20 PM
I still don't get it. They've named songs after the Frontier and Homestead, yet nothing is playing? I'm wondering if this indeed could be a bug. There is music playing while free-roaming as desmond though. It doesn't make any sense ..

DSTRVCTION
11-09-2012, 01:57 PM
I decided to put the soundtrack album on a USB and play some songs myself. The 'HomeStead' track is really beautiful when you're out in the Frontier. Just sitting in a tree at the moment, watching the sun come up. If they could just put one or maybe two tracks in it while free-roaming in the Frontier, it would be enough. For the cities as well. The only thing missing now is the sounds of the fights with animals/soldiers, but that's because I'm playing my own music.

Frank9182011
11-09-2012, 08:06 PM
I decided to put the soundtrack album on a USB and play some songs myself. The 'HomeStead' track is really beautiful when you're out in the Frontier. Just sitting in a tree at the moment, watching the sun come up. If they could just put one or maybe two tracks in it while free-roaming in the Frontier, it would be enough. For the cities as well. The only thing missing now is the sounds of the fights with animals/soldiers, but that's because I'm playing my own music.

That sounds great - I wish the same option was available to PS3 users. Sadly, the system doesn't allow for playing music separately while in-game. As I've posted in another thread, if we continue to voice our concerns to the forum managers in an organized, professional way, this could make our concerns on the matter a bit more vocal.