PDA

View Full Version : Pick the lock?!?!

Joop09
11-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Oh my days!!!! The lock picking on the chests are a joke...some are easy but others you have to do over and over again and even go back to as if you don't your likely to smash something!!! They have so say spent 3 years making this you would think that this simple thing would not be an issue!! There are lots of other glitches but this one does my swede in. :mad:

soccer06
11-06-2012, 11:27 PM
You should probably post this in the console sub-forum, most likely in the feedback thread.

TeamCoby
11-08-2012, 12:00 AM
I've had the same problem.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
11-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Moved.

MisterEFQ
11-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Are you pressing the shoulder button slowly? That was my problem. Mash it. They have all opened the same way for me.

ZoMBee-HitMAN
11-08-2012, 05:37 PM
Take it slow, keep holding the buttons and press R1 continually. It works every time for me.

CalgaryJay
11-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Ya I really struggled with this at first too, to the point where I just started ignoring them for awhile.

Got it down now though, you just REALLY have to mash that RT/R1 button. Its difficult but it works, just requires practice (and patience).

Gianavel
11-08-2012, 06:03 PM
The only ones I ever had trouble with were some of the ones in New York. I just did the liberation missions for the area, got the key, and opened them that way.

ShrunkLawyer0
11-08-2012, 06:56 PM
its glitched ubisoft needs to fix it and before anyone asks ive tried everything and the chests still wont open

Gianavel
11-08-2012, 06:59 PM
So you've got the key for the area and it still won't open?

ShrunkLawyer0
11-08-2012, 07:16 PM
its in the frontier

ShrunkLawyer0
11-08-2012, 07:16 PM
in a fort

FlarelordFenix
11-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Lockpicking is a delicate and precise endeavor. it took me a while to get used to it - it requires a degree of finesse and precision, just like real lockpicking :P I can reliably pick locks now, it took some time to learn it, but it was pretty easy to master.... only lockpicking glitch I run into is that my picks sometimes go into the lock bar or into the top of the chest rather than the keyhole

Omegabahamutze
11-08-2012, 08:00 PM
I've had that happen as well, but usually if Connor is standing unevenly, but there has been a chest or two with that happening & he's standing on level ground.

MrPacman240
11-08-2012, 08:17 PM
I had issues at first, I thought the end sequence was over and the chest was open but it would reset me. When the points you need to hold the analog sticks at are awkward, it can get much more difficult.

Zodakx911
11-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Lock picking is terrible in this game..I hate it....

CalgaryJay
11-08-2012, 08:20 PM
I had issues at first, I thought the end sequence was over and the chest was open but it would reset me. When the points you need to hold the analog sticks at are awkward, it can get much more difficult.

Ya that's definitely the hardest part, when the points are at a diagonal angle. So much easier when its just Up & Down or something. Having to mash RT as absolutely fast as you can, while keeping both your thumbs completely still at an awkward, diagonal position is really tough.

WarriorAegis
11-08-2012, 08:24 PM
I'm having trouble with the one in the fort in Black Creek. I stopped for now, but you really need steady hands and luck to get that thing opened.

Free_Hidings
11-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Honestly it's really simple, the ticking sound you hear when you start breaking the lock is a timer, don't press R1 in time with that, just mash it as rapidly as you can. If you're fast you can get most locks in half the time the timer allows. If you go fast but not all out you should still make it in time. Simple, but good fun.

fumbledfingers
11-09-2012, 10:15 PM
I have not beeen able to open either. when pressing R1 the bolt boes all the way to the left then returns to the right and start over again. I have done it fast, slow and am ready to cancel. Is this a glitch or am I too fumblefingers.

MT4K
11-09-2012, 10:21 PM
I have not beeen able to open either. when pressing R1 the bolt boes all the way to the left then returns to the right and start over again. I have done it fast, slow and am ready to cancel. Is this a glitch or am I too fumblefingers.

The bolt is the timer. You have a limited time to lockpick the chests.

Assassin_M
11-09-2012, 10:22 PM
I guess I`m playing a different game...

Never had a problem in Lock Picking... Maybe because I can actually lock pick in real life >_>

zhengyingli
11-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Never had a problem in Lock Picking... Maybe because I can actually lock pick in real life >_>
Guess now I know who robbed my house...

De Filosoof
11-09-2012, 10:29 PM

Me neither.

You have to hold your thumbsticks in the same position while pressing RT repeatedly. That's all.
Just don't move your thumbs while pressing RT.
I kinda like the lockpicking mechanic to be honest :D.

pb0yd1
11-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Guess now I know who robbed my house...

lololo , yeh how do you know how to plck lock ,police forces would like too know ,and your not a locksmith.

WarriorAegis
11-09-2012, 10:36 PM
So you've got the key for the area and it still won't open?

Some chests remain locked even if you have the key. Like the ones in forts.

I found a trick that helps a little: turn off vibration when picking the lock. It will stop shaking your hands and causing you to move the R or L stick slightly which leads to Connor pulling out the lock pick.

Assassin_M
11-09-2012, 10:38 PM
I`m a world renowned Robber

lololo , yeh how do you know how to plck lock ,police forces would like too know ,and your not a locksmith.
I found it useful for many of my "mishaps" >_>

I`m actually an Honest man

pb0yd1
11-09-2012, 10:39 PM
control vibrates very slight ,just b4 sweet spot ,but some are glitche , fort 1ns seems too many solder's alive it won't unlock ,and no am not even on detect 1, forts best too go GRFS and ghost nearly all .
Dont forget too whistle ??

NyxCrab
11-10-2012, 12:12 AM
I never had problems with lock picking. And if you mess up, just bring the analog to the same place as it was, and it goes on to the next stage.

Krayus Korianis
11-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Lock picking isn't hard if you know what you're doing. Also, you don't have to be a locksmith to pick a lock... Locksmiths usually make locks or repair/open locks for customers.

RatonhnhakeFan
11-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Lock-picking was very easy to me, I just move the analog sticks around slowly and then stick them in one position while pushing R1. Really don't get people's problems with it, guess my fingers are extremely well coordinated :p

TaleraRis
11-11-2012, 11:46 AM
I hate hate hate hate HATE lockpicking in this game. This is worse than Den Defense, because at least I could get around Den Defense. But if I want to get the completion for opening all chests I just have to keep doing it until I get it or I break my controller in frustration.

It's not like we can pick the spot where things slide into place. They click in wherever and we have to keep our thumbs from moving even a nanometer or they slide out of place and you have to get them set all over again.

It's frustrating and it's just not fun. There's nothing wrong with a lockpick mechanic. A well-done lockpick mechanic could even be fun. But this is just horrible implementation.

kuled2012
11-11-2012, 11:51 AM
It's not that hard...

dondarko
11-12-2012, 02:10 PM
I hate hate hate hate HATE lockpicking in this game. This is worse than Den Defense, because at least I could get around Den Defense. But if I want to get the completion for opening all chests I just have to keep doing it until I get it or I break my controller in frustration.

It's not like we can pick the spot where things slide into place. They click in wherever and we have to keep our thumbs from moving even a nanometer or they slide out of place and you have to get them set all over again.

It's frustrating and it's just not fun. There's nothing wrong with a lockpick mechanic. A well-done lockpick mechanic could even be fun. But this is just horrible implementation.

I think most of the frustration I had in the beginning came from the sensitivity of my sticks. For Multiplayer I prefer 8/9 sensitivity (default is 5), now everytime I encounter difficulties with chests (some chests are more awkward than others) I tune the sensitivity down to 0, and it works. Its annoying to do, but surely better than breaking your fingers ;-)

ProdiGurl
11-12-2012, 02:19 PM
^ Maybe that's the problem - I keep my sensitivity at default whatever that is on this game & I haven't had one problem getting a lock open.
It's so easy a caveman could do it. :rolleyes: If this isn't it, then I'm completely baffled why it's so hard for people. Might as well dumb down the entire game at that point.

fumbledfingers
11-13-2012, 04:01 AM
the first two actions L and R are easy rotates but the R1 needs to be clicked faster than the audible clicks. If the audible clicks get ahead of the R1 clicks the bolt simply returns back home so you can start over. Lockpicking is an art so use a light touch and be fast on the R1 button

BATISTABUS
11-13-2012, 05:13 AM
I've never had any control-related difficulty opening a single chest in the game.

Nurya
01-23-2013, 08:15 PM
It's sort of glitched for me.
So far, I've had no problems picking "quest" locks (as demanded to advance in a particular mission). But most of the "optionals" don't work, no matter how fast or slow, or strong or soft I press RT.
I don't mind that much about treasure chests, as I like taking Connor hunting. But I'm really stuck at the East Fields underground door; can you tell me if there's a key for this particular door?

itsamea-mario
01-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Picking locks IRL is much harder, you're lucky bru.