PDA

View Full Version : Desmond and the Ending (SPOILERS. BIG ONES.)

Skaevola
11-06-2012, 11:38 AM
It is my opinion based on some of the hints that have been dropped that Desmond will not be permanently removed from the series. (Full disclosure: this isn't wishful thinking. Desmond came about at the same time as Altair, who were both extremely bland and two-dimensional characters in comparison with Ezio or Connor. Now that the writers have cut their teeth on several iterations, I'd much rather see a new modern protagonist rather than returning to Desmond.)
First of all, Subject 16 and TWCB talk about Desmond's larger destiny, with Subject 16 referring specifically to his son. That can be explained away by saying Subject 16 was nuts, but if the writers plan to wish away that much plot, they might as well just say Desmond didn't die at the end of AC3 because magic.
Secondly, AC2 revolved around Desmond's training and it would be a G.R.R. Martin level of cheap to just kill him after that. Having him be permanently dead now invalidates an entire game which is just poor writing.
Now for the important part: TWCB have a way of putting someone's consciousness into a machine, which was a belabored point in the flashbacks for little reason. Subject 16 has a way of getting it back out. Which, again, was stressed without resolution. It seems to me that they're basically spelling out Desmond's resurrection or reincarnation. This is especially evident when all of AC:R was spent rebuilding the pieces of Desmond's mind that already resided in the Animus, and, at the end of AC3, someone has hacked his memories -- even parts he hadn't seen yet. This is less certain, but it would seem as though Desmond's mind, or his memories at least, are recorded in completion in the Animus.
So I'm putting my money on a new modern protagonist who gets put in the animus and imbued with the full memory and consciousness of Desmond the way Subject 16 planned for himself. This gives them the benefit of a new modern protagonist and the ability to resolve Desmond's story, and keep Nolan North in their stupid game.

pirate1802
11-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Desmond will return I think.. as a ghost-in-the-machine, like Clay.

Fermit_the.Krog
11-06-2012, 12:07 PM
I recon Desmond is finished, that we'll play as his father. Although I do think Desmond stills survived it some how. I'm not sure..

pirate1802
11-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I recon Desmond is finished, that we'll play as his father. Although I do think Desmond stills survived it some how. I'm not sure..

Maybe he survives like Clay did.. after he died, in the Animus. I'm not saying Desmond isn't dead, but maybe a part of his consciousness lives on.

Chariflame
11-06-2012, 02:14 PM
It's entirely plausible that Desmond lives on as a digital construct within the Grand Temple like Juno was. The technology is there and the official Collector's guide heavily hints at it.

And honestly, I'm sort of hoping for it; Desmond's character went leaps and bounds throughout the games but he really became an amazing and independent character in ACIII. The ending didn't seem justified for him, in my opinion, and the modern plot is going to spin on with or without him. Even if he's not a protagonist, I hope he can still retain a role in the story.