PDA

View Full Version : Haytham Kenway Discussion [Spoilers]

tjbyrum1
11-06-2012, 04:12 AM
Ubisoft really got me in this game. Sequence 1, 2, and 3 the whole time we're Haytham, thinking we're an Assassin, and then they just come out of nowhere and reveal we were actually Templars! "How Do Ya Like Them Apples", haha, I found it funny when I saw that.

Anyway, what did you think of Haytham as a character? To be honest, I actually enjoyed playing as him, and I'd be inclined to say that I preferred him over Connor even! A shame he's a Templar, but that was a good and unexpected plot twist. He just seemed... like a really good character, and he was very likeable, and I think I'd have liked a game focused on Haytham. But Connor was pretty cool too, and I didn't mind playing as him. But in the end I have to say Haytham seemed better.

LilyasAvalon
11-06-2012, 04:20 AM
I was personally very pleased with how they did Haytham and his sequences, especially since NO ONE expected him until we started the game, I'd also go as far to say that I preferred him over Connor and was disappointed he didn't have his own game.

It also makes me rethink and requestion the Templars, and who they are. Up until now, the only templars we've known or seen have all been 'horrible' and 'dishonorable', to actually PLAY one, get to know him, get to ADMIRE him, know he actually has senses of honor, duty and kindness. I APPLAUD Ubisoft for it.

The 'How D'ya Like Them Apples Achievement' though, that was the kicker in the teeth, Ubisoft. xD Kick me while I'm down and questioning allegiances.

tjbyrum1
11-06-2012, 04:29 AM
I agree about 'getting to know a Templar' thing. Made me rethink the Templars. They're not just about 'kill kill kill', cause Haytham showed a lot of compassion to Ziio and his fellow Templars, especially to his Templars which he seemed to have a 'brotherhood' aspect with, especially Charles. And he also helped Ziio's people. He just seemed noble and honorable, and I never though Templars as such.

JonnyisNQ
11-06-2012, 05:17 AM
I think Haytham is undoubtedly one of the greatest characters in the whole AC franchise, he is just such an interesting character, his whole back story was so intriguing, with him being an assassin at a young age and then being converted, he had a much richer personality compared to Connor (Connor was great in his own way, don't get me wrong I feel he himself is so under rated on this forum lol) but yeah even the few sequences that Haytham had really really changed my perception of the Templars as a whole, and really it blurred the once clear line that was previously painted between good (The Assassins) and evil (Templars) from the earlier games, both the Assassins and Templars are essentially after the same thing, only the Templars seemed, to me at least, to understand the flaws within human nature, and understand that the human race could not be trusted to to be in charge of its own fate, it had to be guided, all be it by force, I really appreciated ubi putting in Haythams little bit at the start, one of the many highlights of this game imo.

Sharkey1337
11-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Yeah, I loved Kenway and would've actually preferred having him as the protagonist of AC3, giving us a Templar perspective for once. I really found the Templars in this game fascinating as their motives had rather good intentions from their perspectives, much more convincing than previous games. Ubisoft really missed out on a great opportunity in exploring the other side of the Templar/Assassin war.

A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n
11-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Haytham was a bad*** and just generally a likable character, who wasn't all moody, angry, upset, or lacking personality like Connor. Connor is cool, but half of that is because of the way he dresses and his awesome weapons, combos, and brutality. I also liked Haytham better than Connor. To me he's as likable as Ezio, and it'd be awesome if 1) we could unlock haytham's outfit for Connor post-game and 2) if there was a DLC of Haytham in London or after Connor's birth/before the revolutionary war.

kriegerdesgottes
11-06-2012, 06:00 AM
I thought it was brilliant. And we Americans don't use that word brilliant as often as Brits do but I can't think of a better word. I will say though that I like Connor better still because of his beliefs and I was more than happy to watch Haytham get his in the end after he killed those innocent people. It's a shame he never changed his ways.

Whoa-man
01-20-2015, 05:59 AM
I already knew Haytham was a Templar before I started the game..Did I spoil the game for myself? D:

similarly
01-20-2015, 07:49 AM
I hated the fact that Connor
killed him

I never understood that. I would have much rather that Connor hadn't.

VoldR
01-23-2015, 11:26 AM
Actually my first hint was desmond's conversations with his dad...

I know his pride about heritage will bite him some way...

Then my 2nd hint is he's contacts and talk about the site. To me that sounds already very templarish...
I was actually hoping its true.

When the truth happens, bang I cant wait to hear Williams dialog, :)

zeromaveric
02-19-2015, 09:25 AM
if you guys want to know more, there is a novel out there, Assassin's Creed: Forsaken. it starts the story of how Edward's home was attacked by Templars, and Haytham was adopted after his father's death. so even at a young age, Haytham was raised to be a Templar, yet still have some of the skills of the Assassins before he was taken in. i actually need to finish it or restart it, but been too caught up in AC4 lately