PDA

View Full Version : George Washinton's Portrayal

WilderaWild
11-05-2012, 01:47 AM
Who else is disappointing with the negative portrayal in the game. I was really excited to see Gerogie in action in this game as the great humble first president of America. The game showed him as weak, simple minded and, racist. They tried to make him look bad at the end too by making people believe he burned downed villages. Washington has done so many great things, why would they make him look so bad? The new DLC doesn't look so supportive either.... Why pick Washington as tyrant? He opposed that more than anybody that lived. Why not have it be someone that made sense? I do enjoy Samuel Adams and Ben Franklin's portrayal though.

lightlamp
11-05-2012, 03:31 AM
I completely agree OP shame on Ubisoft for disrespecting our glorious leader. I am also disappointed in Ubisoft an American company for letting us kill Patriots in this game. It is also completely disrespectful. And since Connor fights for freedom from the oppressive nazi regime that is the British Empire. They should of added in a scene that shows solidarity with his great American friends by making Connor sing the star spangled banner. This is an American game for Americans after all

XPandaHunterX
11-05-2012, 04:40 AM
I completely agree OP shame on Ubisoft for disrespecting our glorious leader. I am also disappointed in Ubisoft an American company for letting us kill Patriots in this game. It is also completely disrespectful. And since Connor fights for freedom from the oppressive nazi regime that is the British Empire. They should of added in a scene that shows solidarity with his great American friends by making Connor sing the star spangled banner. This is an American game for Americans after all

Lol.

Sarcasm Detected.

I'm not disappointed with his portrayal. It's a rather well known fact that he wasn't the greatest of commanders, and he did actually own well over 200 slaves. I'm more disappointed with his screen-time.

If they had introduced Washington earlier in the in the game, and had him remain a prominent influence throughout, the War would have been a much more compelling story for the player. We know how this ends. The Rebels win, and George Washington goes on to lead a nation that would commit near-genocide against the natives all in the name of "Manifest Destiny." Watching Connor and Washington become friends, knowing how it all ends would have been much more compelling than what we got.

WilderaWild
11-05-2012, 04:41 AM
Sarcasm? If not than you took what I said too seriously. I was only dissapointed by showing Washington as a not so great guy. The patriots vs loyalists was pretty good the sides that.

WilderaWild
11-05-2012, 04:43 AM
Lol.

Sarcasm Detected.

I'm not disappointed with his portrayal. It's a rather well known fact that he wasn't the greatest of commanders, and he did actually own well over 200 slaves. I'm more disappointed with his screen-time.

If they had introduced Washington earlier in the in the game, and had him remain a prominent influence throughout, the War would have been a much more compelling story for the player. We know how this ends. The Rebels win, and George Washington goes on to lead a nation that would commit near-genocide against the natives all in the name of "Manifest Destiny." Watching Connor and Washington become friends, knowing how it all ends would have been much more compelling than what we got.\
Agreed, he deserved more screen time to show it all. They really only showed a few negative things about him and thats it.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Who else is disappointing with the negative portrayal in the game... The game showed him as weak, simple minded and, racist... making people believe he burned downed villages. Washington has done so many great things, why would they make him look so bad?

I dunno, could it be that he did all those bad things? These people were not saints and your positive appreciation of them comes from your nation's creation myth. Believe it or not, Great Britain was far more attuned to the rights of indigenous people than the American colonists were, and there is an argument to be made that the American Revolution had much more to do with the British trend towards abolishing slavery and protecting the American Indians' rights than it had to do with King George's supposed 'tyranny'. Let's not forget that Britain, at the time, was a constitutional monarchy, having had its own popular revolution to remove the divine right of the King over 100 years earlier.

The fact that Americans are generally unaware of all of this should be a scandal, but I guess people need their comforting myths when national pride is at stake.