PDA

View Full Version : Connor is such a ****** ! (slight spoilers)

killzab
11-04-2012, 09:40 PM
I just can't believe how unlikeable Connor has become as an adult.

The character, though naive, seemed friendly and nice as a teen, before he obtained the robes.

Then he just became .... an ***.

I can't put it differently.

I wanted to slap him for being so ungrateful towards Achilles...and the latter gets back at him by saying very appropriately " then give me back the outfit, the blades and all theses years of training I gave you"

Like really ? Are we supposed to like Connor ?

Haytham is a much more complex, interesting, bad-*** and thoughtful character.

I wish we could have played as teen connor for the whole game, with the amazing assassin robes of course.

lfc908
11-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Yeah that really annoyed me and the fact of how naive he is

Pr0metheus 1962
11-04-2012, 09:57 PM
I agree, and some of the decisions he makes later in the game are ridiculous, especially regarding a big 'choice' (forced on the player) he makes in terms of one of his fellow villagers.

I wish we could have played Haytham all the way through the game - that guy is far more interesting and his character flaws and story arc make sense.

Radman500
11-04-2012, 10:00 PM
i too liked Haytham better....... much more complex and actually had charisma

vivaxardas
11-04-2012, 10:10 PM
I really wish for a patch or add-on or something when we can play an alternative story, with alternative ending, as Haytham all way through. Really, it does not matter from what ancestor Desmond gets the information he needs, so why not to play as a Templar for a change? It would have made much more sense to me. I do not like Connor, he is a really unappealing character. May be that's why I did not get enough interest in the game, I simply did not like him. After the ending the entire story line looked like a big mistake.I wish Lee should have killed Connor when he had a chance.

Radman500
11-04-2012, 10:11 PM
even with the whole native american struggle, i found connor boring, unappealing, naive, and a jerk

Haytham was a much more interesting character

UrDeviant1
11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Connor Is caring, passionate, compassionate, noble, humble. He has a childlike charm about him because he's somewhat naive to the cities and It's people, but tries to understand them. He has a good heart but his passion sometimes turns to anger, notably to someone he loved (Achilles). He Is so deadly yet so humble. I really like his character.

lightlamp
11-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Haytham was much better

lodylody
11-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Connor Is caring, passionate, compassionate, noble, humble. He has a childlike charm about him because he's somewhat naive to the cities and It's people, but tries to understand them. He has a good heart but his passion sometimes turns to anger, notably to someone he loved (Achilles). He Is so deadly yet so humble. I really like his character.
This. I found his character much more interesting than that of Ezio's and it made me think more than his too.

Element CL
11-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Haythem is more interesting because he is more knowledgeable and more dedicated to his templar history. He seems to have carried the convictions of the old templars over.

You gotta respect Connor for what he is. He was a native American who had a religious experience that simply told him to follow a symbol around. For someone like that, that's all you need to know. He DID have his own conflicts but his refusal to give them so much sway over him was just being accurate to his character's background. Achilles wasn't ever concerned with ritual or history. The assassins story is oversimplified in this game and Connor one dimensionalism is a symptom of that, not the other way around. He was as much Assassin as he could be, given Achilles sort of loss of history and Connors own Native American culture. I think the character himself was very good.

Apirka
11-04-2012, 11:34 PM
Gotta agree with the ones who say that Haytham was better -- I liked child!Connor well enough, but I immediately loved Haytham. And while I was playing Connor, I was always waiting for what they'd do with his relationship with Haytham, constantly disappointed when it was only ever Achilles mentioning how Connor has to kill his father. I adored the sequence where they work together... and when, after that, they end up trying to kill each other and Connor actually succeeds, I seriously considered putting the game down and just watching the ending on youtube. I kept going because there wasn't much left and I was really interested in the modern day story, but yes -- I didn't really like adult!Connor all that much. I don't even mind his attitude (all the snarking between him and Haytham was hilarious), but I just found him so boring, particularly compared to his father, who was the best thing about the game to me. Totally want Haytham focused DLC.

silvermercy
11-04-2012, 11:39 PM
I found Connor much more interesting and appealing than Ezio. Ezio was good at parts but boring at others. I just... couldn't connect to him as much as I did with Connor.

Element CL
11-04-2012, 11:41 PM
If you think Connor was a boring character you're racist. How bout that?

NumberSix1967
11-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Haytham is much more interesting and I'd argue the only character with any character. Connor is a tad dour. I'd like to see him in another game just to see if they writers can make anything of him. He also deserves better given his own ending. Like it or lump it, was the message. It's patronising to assume that he would be happy (when in the game he specifically states he's not happy with the answers he gets as he says "it's not enough!") with his lot in life knowing he made no real dent into the Templar Order and that his people had been sideswiped. He was utterly alone in the end and dismissed. I think that should be corrected. Altair had a sad end too, but one that was fair and in-keeping with his character. Naive is okay, but being a bit of a w****r without rhyme or reason was just grating in the end.

LeoOfCostaRica
11-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Thing is, I get WHY Connor is that way. He's naive because of his values and culture, and doesn't get how things are never just a black and white business.

...That being said, he's still one of the most unlikable protagonists I've ever played as. He treats Achilles like crap and even threatened to beat him up, he is EXTREMELY judgemental of everyone around him, he's a meathead whose only course of action when facing a problem is violence, and he's a complete hypocrite, putting himself above everyone else besides being the one doing all the killing.

My point is, I GET Connor...but I still think he's a gigantic ****.

AllThatJuice
11-05-2012, 03:40 AM
Connor's a great character. More depth than Ezio or Altair. Yes he said harsh things to Achilles, but if you even bothered to finish that memory sequence, he does appologise to Achilles.
And thats what makes him so relateable as a character. We've all had moments in life where we've done or said something we later regretted.