PDA

View Full Version : Prop Pitch

AztekWrath
07-07-2004, 01:16 PM
What's the bes prop pitch on the 109 for cruise fying and for combat?

AztekWrath
07-07-2004, 01:16 PM
What's the bes prop pitch on the 109 for cruise fying and for combat?

altstiff
07-07-2004, 02:12 PM
I'm not 100% certain but, I think you would go by your RPM and not the actual pitch of the prop.

See you in the fence....

Asus P4B 533 Intel 2.4GHZ
1 GIG Ram
GeForce FX 5700 256MB (56.72)
SB Audigy
MSFF2 & X45 throttle

ZG77_Lignite
07-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Altstiff is correct. The Bf109 is not fitted with a constant speed prop (though the 'auto' setting emulates one, 'manual' mode is a simple variable pitch propellor), so you (the pilot) must maintain the prop speed (which is directly related to engine RPM).

Different variants of the 109 (specifically different engines) have different power settings. The easiest way to learn the correct power settings to maintain is to watch the tachometer (RPM indicator) while in 'auto' mode (automatic is the more historic option as well). If you wish to manually operate the RPM after that, switch to 'manual prop pitch' and adjust the 'pitch' to maintain the RPM's you noted before (slightly higher RPM's, say 100-200 more, may be possible without damage). Too high RPM means damaged engine, too low means reduced horsepower.

Note, the above description is not valid for other types of aircraft with constant speed props or fixed props (or the various 'auto' systems that are modeled).

WTE_Galway
07-07-2004, 07:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZG77_Lignite:
Altstiff is correct. The Bf109 is not fitted with a constant speed prop (though the 'auto' setting emulates one, 'manual' mode is a simple variable pitch propellor), so you (the pilot) must maintain the prop speed (which is directly related to engine RPM).

Different variants of the 109 (specifically different engines) have different power settings. The easiest way to learn the correct power settings to maintain is to watch the tachometer (RPM indicator) while in 'auto' mode (automatic is the more historic option as well). If you wish to manually operate the RPM after that, switch to 'manual prop pitch' and adjust the 'pitch' to maintain the RPM's you noted before (slightly higher RPM's, say 100-200 more, may be possible without damage). Too high RPM means damaged engine, too low means reduced horsepower.

Note, the above description is not valid for other types of aircraft with constant speed props or fixed props (or the various 'auto' systems that are modeled).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

although a lot of people seem to recommend manual pitch for 109's i ahve never been able to get the hang of it in dogfights

the only place i find it useful is catching a running bandit when manual lets me dial in a few 100 extra revs to close the gap

F19_Ob
07-08-2004, 11:56 AM
For me proppitch works well in carefull BnZ, but when I fight in mixed style it simply doesnt work bcause of my joystick.
I have pitch assigned to two buttons and cant adjust it fast or acurately enough( a few slight delays will fry the engine), so I think it probably works more effectively on a slider( as others states). Pitch was easy to adjust instantly in real life too.
If U havent these "gadgets" I recomend the autosettings (wich was used in RL also) or U will be at an unnescessary disadvantage.(My opinion).

As I recall it; 109 pilots switched pitch to auto in dives for "safe" control so they wouldnt overrev the engine.

just some thoughts! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

ZG77_Lignite
07-08-2004, 12:42 PM
As I remember hearing it, 109 pilots (after the BoB, during which few if any bf109's had any sort of automatic system) flew in 'automatic' all the time, except for takeoffs (and I'd wager they left it in automatic for takeoff too; takeoff was only Recomended to leave it in manual, in case of failure of the automatic pitch control unit, and the low speed changes required only minor adjustment of pitch).

Von_Zero
07-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Bf-109E:
combat RPM: 2200 RPM
best cruise: 2000 RPM
economy cruise: 1900 RPM
Bf-109F:
combat: 2500 RPM
best cruise: 2100 RPM
economy cuise: 2000 RPM
Bf-109G: combat: 2500 RPM
economy cruise: 2000 RPM
Bf-109K:
combat: 2500 RPM
economy cruise: 2000 RPM
Bf-109Z - not very sure, but since it has the same engines as the G6, i suppose it has uses the same values.
I use only auto pitch, sine all my attempts for manual resulted in a crispy cooked engine http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/crazy.gif http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/cry.gif (the sauce was separate http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif )

pcisbest
07-09-2004, 02:58 AM
Yeah the Flyable Aircraft Guide on disk two for FB has all the values for RPM settings on the 109 and other aircraft. Auto pitch seems to work just fine with the 109 though.