PDA

View Full Version : Connor seems to lack... something

The13Doctors
11-04-2012, 02:16 AM
There's something about Connor that makes it harder to feel connected to him, Don't get me wrong, I love the story and his personal backstory but he seems to lack personality. I think it's because of his way of talking, almost everything he says sounds monotone, like he isn't interested. This isn't an actual spoiler but an example, someone could save his life and his mother's life, and Achilles' life and he would just be like: "Oh okay, I thank you" in the most uninterested way. Every other character I could believe and put emphasis on what they were saying and it sounded sincere but when Connor said something it was way too formal like they just had the voice actor say 1,000 words and they just strung them together.

I mean in no way to diminish the work that went into making the game but it seems that maybe (this is just bollocks I'm talking now) they were too worried about making sure people understood Connor and were trying hard to pronounce every single word correctly and focusing on that than actually focusing on what he was saying and putting emphasis to it all. I would have preferred the voice actor to put more emotion into what he was saying and listen to a Connor with an accent or whatever to the emphasis on the individual words.

It just seems to me that the voice acting isn't convincing enough, it sounds disinterested and maybe they were trying to focus on making sure Connor was understood as when he talks there seems to be emphasis on each individual word, and not on the sentence in itself.

That of course is just my opinion as to what makes Connor feel a bit, distant, (even more so compared to previous games where the voice acting was great) that is an important aspect in story telling, the acting. Be it voice acting or acting in a role for a movie, putting emotion into the character you are acting as is important, and I don't feel that was done in Connor's case.

Legendz54
11-04-2012, 02:19 AM
I like his voice... because its not as Annoying and loud as Ezios and reminds me a bit of Altair. Play some of the homestead missions.

hyatari
11-04-2012, 02:22 AM
He's like a robot. One of the least memorable protagonists I've had the misfortune to play in recent years.

NinjaOnFire
11-04-2012, 02:22 AM
Any emotion that isn't anger or boredom?

ZBurris
11-04-2012, 02:28 AM
he's one of the best characters ive ever seen

He's serious yes. There werent many "charismatic" Native Americans. That is more of an Italian trait lol. You shouldn't expect Connor to be as charismatic as Ezio.

and the way they did the Iriquious language was amazing. I love how they have Connor speaking his native language so much. I dont know if there is any game that has as much Native American dialogue as this one. It really adds to the greatness of the game.

Legendz54
11-04-2012, 02:29 AM
^ Theres your answer.

Assassin_M
11-04-2012, 02:30 AM
Lets not try to convince anyone of anything. Some liked Connor and some did not. Everyone is clever enough to make a decision, so lets not turn this thread into a flame war. Its one of the very few that actually has a point, constructive Criticism and does not just bash the game mindlessly..

Jexx21
11-04-2012, 02:31 AM
I think it fits Connor.

zhengyingli
11-04-2012, 02:32 AM
Connor maybe grouchy, but that's the product of his idealistic and naive view of the world. What really grew on me was his progressing cynicism. The progression was so subtle that character might as well be me growing up.

Serrachio
11-04-2012, 02:37 AM
One thing that does jar me a little is that he talks softer when he speaks Mohawk, but that when he speaks English, the divide between the two throws me off a little.

I wish some of that Mohawk accent transferred into his speeches.

TrueAssassin77
11-04-2012, 02:45 AM
he was emotionally scared for life at the age of five. what the hell do you expect??? conner of AC3> Ezio of AC2

BATISTABUS
11-04-2012, 03:35 AM
*Criticism of Connor as a character*

&

It just seems to me that the voice acting isn't convincing enough, it sounds disinterested and maybe they were trying to focus on making sure Connor was understood as when he talks there seems to be emphasis on each individual word, and not on the sentence in itself.

Connor is a real character with real issues, and not to mention an awesome voice actor. He's not as charismatic or expressive as Ezio, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a personality. He's angry, he wants justice served, he's confused, and yes, he's even a little bit arrogant and selfish. I really like Connor so far, and I really hope we get a chance to play as him again in the next AC game. He 's made his choices for better or worse, and I'd like to see him grow some more.

One thing that does jar me a little is that he talks softer when he speaks Mohawk, but that when he speaks English, the divide between the two throws me off a little. I wish some of that Mohawk accent transferred into his speeches.
The way he speaks English sounds about right for someone who is a bilingual non-native English speaker. He doesn't have an accent as we would traditionally think of one, but you can definitely tell English wasn't his first language. He's slightly loud, talks somewhat slowly, and says some things slightly awkwardly. The way his lines flow also reflect his heritage without getting into offensive stereotypes. He's usually very emotional, and takes his time to choose words carefully. Also, he's had many more opportunities to practice speaking Kanien’keha:ka than English, so he'd obviously sound more natural/comfortable speaking it.

The way he speaks is reflective of the traits I described in the above paragraphs, as opposed to Altair's voice from AC1, which was just the result of a bad voice actor.

Toa TAK
11-04-2012, 03:52 AM
I loved Connor, and I didn't go in the game expecting him to be someone else. I wanted him to be... himself. A new Assassin was one of the main reasons why I was excited for this game and it delivered. His struggle, culture, and overall story was great.

Ix FaTaLiiTy II
11-04-2012, 04:06 AM
I did notice Connor seems a lot more serious than Ezio. But...it fits him. Hes a serious warrior who is stubborn in his beliefs. Hes not as funny or charismatic as Ezio, but after,playing the homestead missions you will see how everyone kinda starts seeing him as a father figure.

Connor's voice actor has some good momnts when he gets mad, but yeah other than that Connor is a pretty serious dude lol. I think his father Haythen grew on me more than Connor himself lol.

Jexx21
11-04-2012, 04:23 AM
Connor's Brock from Pokemon! You must love him trying to flirt with all the ladies but failing!

WarriorPaint
11-04-2012, 04:59 AM
Connor is the best protagonist in any game I've ever played. Yes, he's reckless, aggressive and stubborn, but he's also just, passionate, and (my favorite of his characteristics) fearless. He's an impressively dynamic character that's forced to deal with real, thought provoking issues while trying to shoulder the immense burdens of his past, present, and future. And since I haven't played any of the side missions yet, I'm sure he's got even more to offer. Ezio on the other hand, was a shallow, one dimensional character with an unlimited supply of lame pick-up lines and the personality of a cartoon character. Although I've never played Brotherhood or Revelations I've still had more than enough of Ezio. Requiesca Tempache you bastard.

TrueAssassin77
11-04-2012, 05:04 AM
Connor is the best protagonist in any game I've ever played. Yes, he's reckless, aggressive and stubborn, but he's also just, passionate, and (my favorite of his characteristics) fearless. He's an impressively dynamic character that's forced to deal with real, thought provoking issues while trying to shoulder the immense burdens of his past, present, and future. And since I haven't played any of the side missions yet, I'm sure he's got even more to offer. Ezio on the other hand, was a shallow, one dimensional character with an unlimited supply of lame pick-up lines and the personality of a cartoon character. Although I've never played Brotherhood or Revelations I've still had more than enough of Ezio. Requiesca Tempache you bastard.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!!

someone who understands human nature!

mukwag
11-04-2012, 06:20 AM
I've noticed that Native Americans/Indians or Aboriginal people in Canada talk in a monotone voice. It's just how they speak I guess. I know from my experiences with them.

Silhouelle
11-04-2012, 06:59 AM
Also bear in mind he is introverted and keeps his thoughts to himself for the most part. I forget which NPC it was but one comments about how "thats just life" in terms of things never working out, and Connor questions that (naivety yey) gets a reply but doesn't respond with his own opinion on the matter. Aside from liking those personalities to begin with, I really enjoyed it because so very few games these days have chars like that. So many are just given witty one liners and curses to spew to show "character".