PDA

View Full Version : PC gaming ?

nitres15
11-03-2012, 05:39 PM
im pretty tired of frame rate issues on the consoles(my ps3) and i was thinking of buying an afforable gaming PC, the problem is i don´t know anything about computers or what all of this "dx11 ultra navidio window 67" stuff is and i have a feeling that it´ll bite me is the *** sooner or later. Neither do i know how to hook it up to my tv (who want to look at a tiny screen ?). And i´ll need a controller(again what do you do ?)

Andre_0112
11-03-2012, 05:53 PM
I would build one (it is cheaper and relatively easy).

I would look for something like this:

A decent AMD or INTEL CPU @2.5 ghz or more (Quad Core)
Radeon/Nvidia gpu with DirectX 11 and 1 GB or more
6/8 gb of ddr3 ram
And the PSU depends on your setup

For the TV just use a hdmi cable. Some cards already have HDMI and some don't but if the hdmi ones Are too expensive for you i THINK they sell adaptors.

As for controller if the game supports it just hook it up with the USB Cable to the PC and that's all.

AntiChrist7
11-03-2012, 05:55 PM
if you have a console, why would you switch to pc? a decent gaming pc is expensive to start off with, and if you wanna keep it up to date you'll have to change your graphics card every 2 year (and a decent one is easily over €150).

Apart from the price, if your game doesnt work, it can have al sorts of reasons. (like incompabitility between motherboard and card, or between card and game, etc...)

The main advantage of pc is that it can multitask (you can use t for other stuff beside gaming), and you dont require a tv for it. which is important for some people cause the tv is occupied by people when you want to game. and some games are exclusivly pc.

dex3108BL
11-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Well 3 main parts in PC are CPU, GPU and RAM memory.

For CPU you should look midrange something like Intel i5 2500K or Intel i5 3570K (they can be overclocked but you probably wont do that )
For GPU you should go somewhere between midrange and highend something like nVidia GForce 660Ti or nVidia GForce 560 GTX
For RAM Memoru i thing that 6-8 GB DDR 3 at 1600MHz should be enough.
For motherboard is tricky because that choice is depending what you will do after 2-3 years. You can buy cheap one and you will be stuck with it or you can buy more expensive one and after 3 years add another graphic card and new CPU and you will have better PC

Everything depends on your budget and your future plans and prices at your country For me as PC gamer and person who uses PC a lod for work it is always best to give little more mone and buy more expensive components that i will not upgrade for 4+ years.

Andre_0112
11-03-2012, 06:15 PM
If you don't want to Oc your Cpu because you don't know get an i5-2500 with Turboboost ( Auto OC if needed and is able to stay cool)

nitres15
11-03-2012, 06:29 PM
i appreciate the answers but, i don´t understand a single thing you guys just said. Im afraid your knowledge is wasted on my dirty console brain

@antichrist

as i said, the framerate is terrible on the ps3

ThexKezza
11-04-2012, 02:48 AM
i appreciate the answers but, i don´t understand a single thing you guys just said. Im afraid your knowledge is wasted on my dirty console brain

@antichrist

Ok,

First Take into note:

CPU = Processor
GPU = Graphics Card
PSU = Power Supply
OC = Overclock (I suggest not doing this since you've never owned a gaming PC before)

That may help you with the things above, but if you really have no idea about PC and how to build one I suggest either going back to xbox or just buying a PC built (Make sure you KNOW it's descent for gaming)

I built my PC, I like PC a lot better than consoles just because it's more open, almost nothing can stop you from doing what you want to do.
But anyway good on you for moving(trying) to PC but don't be pissed off when Ubisoft decides to delay the next Assassins Creed release date.

Dizlol
11-04-2012, 04:06 AM
Awesome to see that a console guy is interested to go for PC gaming!
the thing what might help us help you is knowing how much you want to spend on your PC.

iNvid22
11-04-2012, 09:49 AM

@antichrist

if you want a PC in time for the assassins creed 3 launch on PC (november 20th) it will probably be easier to buy a ready made one.

it is cheaper and more fun to build one, but you'll be fine if you set a budget and get a website or shop to build/ship you a PC - search your area or use google to find a reputable seller. everything else should be pretty simple as they do everything for you, all you'll need to do is unpack it and hook it up. buying an xbox 360 controller might be handy too, a lot of games support pads on PC now.

after that you'll want to install steam which is similar to PSN/XBL for buying and downloading PC games. if you want EA games then you'll need origin, which is similar to steam. and finally there is uplay which helps you manage ubisoft's game and keep track of the rewards etc

read, read and read some more. it'll take a while but once you get the hang of it you'll never want to go back to consoles.

Andre_0112
11-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Although you probably already now this, the first thing you must do once you boot up the PC is install an antivirus. I recommend:
•Lavasoft Ad-Aware
•Kaspersky
•Avast

After installing the AV get a decent browser... (IE SUCKS)
•Chrome
•Firefox

After you've got a browser running (and not that POS of IE) update all of your GPU drivers. How?
•If you have an Nvidia Graphics card go to Nvidia.com
•Select drivers
•Click on auto-detect GPU (you need Java)

When you've successfully updated all your drivers go download both Steam and Uplay!
Steam:
•Go to steampowered.com
•Click "Install Steam"
•Magic

Uplay:
•Go to Uplay.com
•Click "Install Uplay PC Client"
•Magic

Both are important. Steam because it is one of the best digital games store out there and Uplay because it works as a launcher for the games from Ubi.

nitres15
11-04-2012, 02:47 PM
how do i know what to buy ? How do i put it toghether ?

Andre_0112
11-04-2012, 03:04 PM
There are some stores that build custom PC's and assemble them for you so I recommend finding one of those close to you. Here's is my rig so you get some ideas (it can run AC 3):

Intel core i5 Quad-core @2.5 ghZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS 450 1 GB
8 GB DDR3 Ram
1 TB Sata HDD
Asrock motherboard (Don't remeber model)

nitres15
11-04-2012, 03:44 PM
is that all you need ? or is that simplified ? Also, what stores builds computers for you ? Is it just any electronics store ?

Andre_0112
11-04-2012, 06:15 PM
You need:
CPU (Intel Core i5 Quad-Core @2.5ghz)
GPU (Nvidia GTS 450 1 GB)
RAM (8 GB DDR3)
MOTHERBOARD (Asrock)
Power supply or PSU (I have 700W one)
Mouse + Keyboard
Monitor (Your TV in this case)
Windows 7 64-bit (Get 64-bit since the setup supports it and 64 is better)

That is all you need. I don't know any stores, I bought each part Separately and assembled it at home.

Note: This is my setup, if you're going to use it I reccomend doing a GPU upgrade since you'll be playing on a much bigger screen than mine.

connor_bg
11-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Don't take Nvidia GTS 450, especially with that "S" in the "GTS 450".
1. The video card that will really bring you the smoothest performance at maximum settings with the most reasonable price is- Nvidia GTX 660 (I think it is around 180 Euros, not sure). The GTX 6** series are the newest, delivering some new technology goodies, like core boost (means better fps).
2. Pick a processor that is from Intel i5 series or Intel i7 (the price differ between i5 series and i7 may vary in about 50 euros differ, where i7 is better of course).
3. Pick a RAM between 6 and 8GB, the price of the RAM has really cheapened this year, so this should not be a problem.
4. For the motherboard consult with your provider to assist you with the choice, because the motherboard is the spine, and you need a really compatible with the hardware given from me so far.
5. Same goes for the PSU, consult with a professional for the best choice. Personally i think 600W to 700W will do (It is really important what trademark you will take, the best are- Coolermaster, Chieftec etc).

I am pretty sure that those components will be perfect to run the game around 50-60 average fps on the highest settings.
P.S.- I have video card Nvidia GTX 295 and ACR at max settings on 1920x1600 resolution screen runs with an average 50fps. Note that my GTX 295 is pretty old and the card i've recommended you is almost 4 times faster than mine, so do the math.

Don't take AMD's processors or video cards. Their overall products are not durable and are even at higher price at times.
Always go for Intel and Nvidia for processors and video cards.

nitres15
11-04-2012, 08:36 PM
thanks, i´ll think about. I have one more question though, is building a computer like building a space ship or kinda like lego (a few screws here and there) ?

Mr_Shade
11-04-2012, 08:42 PM
You need:
CPU (Intel Core i5 Quad-Core @2.5ghz)
GPU (Nvidia GTS 450 1 GB)
RAM (8 GB DDR3)
MOTHERBOARD (Asrock)
Power supply or PSU (I have 700W one)
Mouse + Keyboard
Monitor (Your TV in this case)
Windows 7 64-bit (Get 64-bit since the setup supports it and 64 is better)

That is all you need. I don't know any stores, I bought each part Separately and assembled it at home.

Note: This is my setup, if you're going to use it I reccomend doing a GPU upgrade since you'll be playing on a much bigger screen than mine.
He will also require a Hard Drive [or Solid State Drive] a case to put it all in - maybe some extra cooling [depending on case] and CPU cooler [if buying OEM]

and maybe some longer HDD cables [depending on case] - so it's not ALL he will need - remember this is the guys first build - so may not already know ;)

Maybe best to pop along to your local PC store and take the list with you - they will advise on any extras you need.

thanks, i´ll think about. I have one more question though, is building a computer like building a space ship or kinda like lego (a few screws here and there) ?

It's more like lego - the items only go in certain spots - but you do need a basic guide on 'what goes where' - which is normally the manuals [on motherboard cpu / psu etc]

You do need to read the info supplied - since you also need to know what goes where in side of the case - and wire up the switches etc correctly to the motherboard.

If it's your first build - read, read and read some more;)

Andre_0112
11-04-2012, 08:45 PM
^Also take in mind the GPU upgrade like i told you for resolution and more fps ^-^

EDIT: OMG I can't believe i forgot to put the HDD lol

Mr_Shade
11-04-2012, 08:54 PM
^Also take in mind the GPU upgrade like i told you for resolution and more fps ^-^

EDIT: OMG I can't believe i forgot to put the HDD lol
And a Case ;)

[which can cost anything from £20 to £300 ] ;)

And depending on the hardware - he may need some cables too.. HDMI / SATA / IDE etc etc

dex3108BL
11-04-2012, 09:19 PM
P.S. Shade can you push a little devs so they give us some more info about PC version? :D Steam confirmation, recommended specs maybe screenshot :D

Mr_Shade
11-04-2012, 09:25 PM
P.S. Shade can you push a little devs so they give us some more info about PC version? :D Steam confirmation, recommended specs maybe screenshot :D
The specs are listed in the pinned thread?

News about the added features etc will be coming soon I expect.

dex3108BL
11-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Only minimum are listed :D It is not big deal but it would be nice to see recommended :D It is only 16 days until release some new info would be really nice :D

BlastThyName
11-04-2012, 09:52 PM
The specs are listed in the pinned thread?

News about the added features etc will be coming soon I expect.

Can't you just detail what DX11 features are in ?

The PC port better be good but given that Kiev is in charge I expect the worst.

connor_bg
11-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Hard Drive is the least problem, you can always transfer your old one (since, i assume, he most probably has already desktop computer) and just reinstall the windows on it. I did it this and i find no performance change with the data transfer during video games, with other words- no fps are lost.

Shade your cable thing made me confused. The PSU and the components themselves provide the required cables, the pc assembling team (the provider in this case) can always put extra cables out of charge. Also the cable's length should not be a problem, he won't build the Noah's Ark, but a PC. Also the "lego" reference is completely unserious, there is always room for mistakes- static shocks are the most common issues, and not just that.

The cooling shouldn't be an issue too, at least with the given by me configuration. And he just want to play the game, seriously why would he give extra 60 euros for a case, he is just like me i don't give a cra* about decorations i just wanna get smooth experience, if he has enough money left then he may try to decorate it.

nitres15
11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
i think im just gonna buy one because you guys are freaking me the **** out. I hope you don´t mind if i post a few specs on some computers, so that you can tell me if they´re crap or not

connor_bg
11-04-2012, 10:19 PM
i think im just gonna buy one because you guys are freaking me the **** out. I hope you don´t mind if i post a few specs on some computers, so that you can tell me if they´re crap or not

How much money you can spend max (in euros)? If you want us to help you, help us to do so.

BlastThyName
11-04-2012, 10:29 PM
You don't need a monster PC to enjoy superior graphics and framerate.
Here is what I would recommend you :

Intel Core I7 3770K
GTX670
8gb of RAM (Corsair, G-Skill)
ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE

Don't forget a good PSU : Corsair 650HX.

nitres15
11-04-2012, 10:30 PM
i don´t know... 500-600 euros i guess(i have to save some money for awhile though).That is a very rough guess, because im not sure how much that is in crowns

BlastThyName
11-04-2012, 10:32 PM
i don´t know... 500-600 euros i guess(i have to save some money for awhile though).That is a very rough guess, because im not sure how much that is in crowns
With next-gen consoles just around the corner I would advise you to wait then, 600 euros is enough but to keep up with the Xbox 720/PS4 you will need more than that.

Take your pick.

nitres15
11-04-2012, 10:36 PM
next gen consoles probably won´t come untill 2013-2015 anyway, so i don´t care

BlastThyName
11-04-2012, 10:38 PM
next gen consoles probably won´t come untill 2013-2015 anyway, so i don´t care
You have not followed the matter closely enough, early 2014 is a lock for at least one of the two.

Just look up for rumors, dev kits are already being shipped in case you don't know.

nitres15
11-04-2012, 10:42 PM
they´ll probably be announced in 2013-2015, and released a year later. not to mention that consoles are often outdated by the time they launch

connor_bg
11-04-2012, 10:43 PM
You don't need a monster PC to enjoy superior graphics and framerate.
Here is what I would recommend you :

Intel Core I7 3770K
GTX670
8gb of RAM (Corsair, G-Skill)
ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE

Don't forget a good PSU : Corsair 650HX.

That's great configuration, but from where im standing it seems monster to me :D.
About the consoles- there is more than a year for him to save enough money for a console beside the pc.

BlastThyName
11-04-2012, 10:46 PM
they´ll probably be announced in 2013-2015, and released a year later. not to mention that consoles are often outdated by the time they launch

Oh no man, you are way off.
They will be released in 2014 according to recent leaks. Not to mention that Agni's Philosphy will be shown at E3 2013 on a new hardware...

Yeah, we all know what that means. Next-gen is going to be amazing and will be soon upon us.

nitres15
11-04-2012, 10:55 PM
i don´t belive in rumors, why ? Because they´re rumors... they don´t have to be true. besides, as i said consoles are become old as soon as they come out. And you´ve got steam on PC and they always seem to have good offers there on games

connor_bg
11-04-2012, 11:23 PM
i don´t belive in rumors, why ? Because they´re rumors... they don´t have to be true. besides, as i said consoles are become old as soon as they come out. And you´ve got steam on PC and they always seem to have good offers there on games

Good offers? On Steam? :D:D Where 1$=1Euro. If i get you right about "Steam" or him being steamy.

dex3108BL
11-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Yes but on Steam you can get games at super low prices when they have sale iven in euros :D

Andre_0112
11-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Don't get an i7 get an i5-2500k. It's one hell of a CPU for gaming.

BlastThyName
11-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Don't get an i7 get an i5-2500k. It's one hell of a CPU for gaming.

An I7 is a better choice, especially if you plan on overcloking.

I don't regret purchasing an 3770.

dex3108BL
11-05-2012, 01:11 PM
He would not OC his CPU for sure so 2500 or 2500K should be enough.

Dellers
11-05-2012, 02:11 PM
Although you probably already now this, the first thing you must do once you boot up the PC is install an antivirus. I recommend:
•Lavasoft Ad-Aware
•Kaspersky
•Avast
I agree about getting an antivirus, but I'd rather choose Microsoft Security Essentials. Unlike every other antivirus it's not annoying and it consumes very little system resources. It's even 100% free, and in Windows 8 it's integrated to begin with.

nitres15
11-05-2012, 04:10 PM
guys, what is DX11. Is it something you download or a part ?

Andre_0112
11-05-2012, 04:15 PM
It's the latest version of Windows graphics. You don't need to download anything it comes with Windows 7/8 (maybe others i am Not sure really). Make sure tHe GPU the PC comes with has DX 11 support (DirectX 11)

Andre_0112
11-05-2012, 04:22 PM
So. When you gonna start putting Pc's so we can help you :P

nitres15
11-05-2012, 06:28 PM
i already know a few, i won´t buy one untill christmas or january.

FourTotal
11-07-2012, 12:16 AM
It's the latest version of Windows graphics. You don't need to download anything it comes with Windows 7/8 (maybe others i am Not sure really). Make sure tHe GPU the PC comes with has DX 11 support (DirectX 11)

Uh, its teh lates version of language that will let your hardware talk with your software. A.P.A API's or application programming interface

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectX

But dont believe me.

nitres15
11-07-2012, 09:03 PM
will this computer be ableto run Far cry 3 and AC3 at highest settings with a decent framerate(40-60 fps) ?

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K 3,4GHz / 8MB / Socket 1155

Graphicscard ASUS GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB DirectCU II TOP (ENGTX560 Ti DCII TOP/2DI/1GD5)

Ram: 8GB gaming ram

PSU: Corsair PowerSupply (PSU) CX600 600W 80+ Bronze

dex3108BL
11-07-2012, 09:08 PM
It should :D but if you have money i would recommend you GTX 660 Ti graphic card so you can be fine for 3 year minimum :D

nitres15
11-07-2012, 10:36 PM
It should :D but if you have money i would recommend you GTX 660 Ti graphic card so you can be fine for 3 year minimum :D

yes, but can it run far cry 3 and ac 3 on the highest setting (especialy FC3) at 40-60 fps without bursting into in flames ? I need to be sure. Also, do you think it is worth 800 euros ? (roughly)

dex3108BL
11-07-2012, 10:36 PM
Yeap you should run both games fine on high settings :D That is my current configuration except graphic card i still need to buy new one :D Well i paid 400 euros for that processor in my country so i think it is good deal. And i really recommend you if you have money to buy GTX 660 Ti graphic card so you can be good for minimum 3 years.

nitres15
11-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Yeap you should run both games fine on high settings :D That is my current configuration except graphic card i still need to buy new one :D

is it hard to swap graphics card ? Is it just a few screws and stuff ? Would i need to download anything after that ?. Im sorry for all of my questions, these computers cost a **** ton of money and i wanna buy the right one

dex3108BL
11-07-2012, 11:00 PM
to change graphic card you just take out old one and put new one without any screws :D Than you only need to re-install drivers (setup will guide you and it is very simple)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9x097QRXeA

Keep in mind that this is low budget PC case and it is old. Most of midrange PC cases today are screw free and you can replace any component easily.

nitres15
11-09-2012, 08:29 PM
how about this computer ?
http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/hardvara/164675-asus_cg8270-nr006s-core_i7-3770-8gb-1tb-gtx660_3gb-dvd-windows_8

Razrback16
11-10-2012, 02:40 AM
You probably should visit a shop that builds custom gaming rigs for folks who don't know how to build them for themselves. They will be able to help you get exactly what you want at the price you want. You will need to learn about Operating Systems though, and how to troubleshoot issues so you won't be stranded every time something comes up. It is definitely in your (and everybody's) best interest to build a good gaming rig PC. They are superior to consoles in every way fathomable.

* Superior Hardware
* Multitasking (for example mine is used as a surf box, gaming rig, multimedia editing rig, and file server)
* Able to play games at far superior resolutions and graphics quality settings when compared with consoles
* Flexibility with price as you can fully customize what you want or don't want and how powerful you want it to be
* Upgradeable at your convenience and leisure. Unlike Consoles, you aren't boxed in to having a system that's running incredibly old hardware that's not capable of current generation rendering like Direct-X 11 with full tesselation and high-res textures. As an example, I played AC3 on the XBOX this past week and while the graphics are better than previous AC games, they frickin' suck compared to anything I play on my gaming rig PC. Lousy resolutions, lousy texture quality, bad aliasing on textures, etc. And even with the bad resolution and texture quality, the graphics stutter constantly because the XBOX is so old it just can't handle today's games.

The only con to a gaming rig PC is that they are more expensive...but I would chalk that up to the fact that it's far superior in every way to a console, so it should be expected to cost more.

Hope you get yourself a good rig built. The areas you want to concentrate on are a very powerful video card and a good bit of RAM (I wouldn't build a gaming rig for someone with anything less than 8GB of RAM right now -- I run 16GB in mine). Your CPU does not have to be top of the line, just get a mediocre one. As long as you're playing games at 1920x1200 and up the CPU will matter far less than the video card will.

nitres15
11-11-2012, 10:18 PM
guys, if i need to download a patch on the PC, does it automaticly tell me or do i have to find it or something ?

Dellers
11-11-2012, 10:20 PM
You don't have to think about it, no. The launcher will tell you that there is anew patch available.

FourTotal
11-12-2012, 08:44 PM
to change graphic card you just take out old one and put new one without any screws :D Than you only need to re-install drivers (setup will guide you and it is very simple)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9x097QRXeA

Keep in mind that this is low budget PC case and it is old. Most of midrange PC cases today are screw free and you can replace any component easily.

IF you want the PCIe connections to come loose via chip creep, as it is known - the constant heating and cooling cycles will work the card loose, then i suggest you follow his advice. Otherwise follow mine and screw the card in. There are screws that will come with it so use em please. Otherwise you are just providing me with more disposable income when you bring your brick to my shop to fix.

Razrback16
11-13-2012, 07:35 PM
As far as swapping vid cards, there are some things you need to check on first. Mainboard compatibility -- does your mainboard support the new video cards interface? Also, does your power supply provide enough power and does it have the proper power connectors for the new card.