PDA

View Full Version : AC3 - Homestead trading/accounting makes no sense...

TheSpong
11-03-2012, 12:44 AM
Sorry if there's a thread already. If there is, a link would be great.I don't understand the trading & accounting at the Homestead. At all. The tutorial memory did nothing, it just barked orders at me, told me to do stuff without any proper explanation whatsoever. Now I've been left to my own devises and I have no clue what to do. I look at the account book and it's just a load of categories, icons & lists that mean nothing to me.I can't seem to find any pointers in the maze that is the Animus documentation, so can anyone here give (or link) me a decent starter's explanation and/or guide?

TheSpong
11-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Bumping this because I'm desperate for some help.

liamr11
11-03-2012, 04:37 PM
I understand what you mean, i felt the same until i bought my strategy guide, let me give you a quick rundown

Stockpile

Here is where you buy your materials, and it is the guts of your economy, as you progress through the game, and recruit workers you will be able to buy different resources. and if you level them up, ten you will have even more stuff to buy from your homesteaders. its best that you see what you need to craft something in the crafting menu

Crafting

Easiest way to craft is to go around the world and unlock the chests, and level up your homesteaders. This will give you recipies and when you look in your crafting menu you will see the recipies menu. just look for a recipe that you like the look of for now and craft that. tip: The specials tab of recipe is very useful, here is where you build your convoys and upgrades for connor i.e. twin holsters.

Trade

Just select your convoy(s) and pack on some of your crafted stuff on there (or do what i do and send the hides that my hunter hunted, easy money early in the game) and then just send it off, it will take about 10-20 mins on a land convoy and watch out for notices that your convoy is attacked, you will need to defend it

That was just a quick run-down, ask me any specific questions you have, hope i helped

freddie_1897
11-03-2012, 04:39 PM
this may sound really stupid, but how do you level up homesteaders?

liamr11
11-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Not a stupid question at all, Look out for homestead missions, complete those and every time you complete one, that homesteader will level. each homesteader almost has a storyline in themself, its a lot of fun!

freddie_1897
11-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Not a stupid question at all, Look out for homestead missions, complete those and every time you complete one, that homesteader will level. each homesteader almost has a storyline in themself, its a lot of fun!
okay thanks, i haven't really looked into the homestead that much, i've literally only got the loggers, the hunter, and the carpenter. and that's it. i think i'll be focusing on that from now on.

just wondering, are the homestead missions only in the homestead map, or are they in the frontier map as well?

liamr11
11-03-2012, 04:48 PM
okay thanks, i haven't really looked into the homestead that much, i've literally only got the loggers, the hunter, and the carpenter. and that's it. i think i'll be focusing on that from now on.

just wondering, are the homestead missions only in the homestead map, or are they in the frontier map as well?

Well you've been missing out, its a very cool feature IMO. And the missions are scattered around the map, you must complete them in a loose order. so if you cant find a certain one, just complete the ones you can, they will be around soon

freddie_1897
11-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Well you've been missing out, its a very cool feature IMO. And the missions are scattered around the map, you must complete them in a loose order. so if you cant find a certain one, just complete the ones you can, they will be around soon
ok thanks

XPandaHunterX
11-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I understand what you mean, i felt the same until i bought my strategy guide, let me give you a quick rundown

Stockpile

Here is where you buy your materials, and it is the guts of your economy, as you progress through the game, and recruit workers you will be able to buy different resources. and if you level them up, ten you will have even more stuff to buy from your homesteaders. its best that you see what you need to craft something in the crafting menu

Crafting

Easiest way to craft is to go around the world and unlock the chests, and level up your homesteaders. This will give you recipies and when you look in your crafting menu you will see the recipies menu. just look for a recipe that you like the look of for now and craft that. tip: The specials tab of recipe is very useful, here is where you build your convoys and upgrades for connor i.e. twin holsters.

Trade

Just select your convoy(s) and pack on some of your crafted stuff on there (or do what i do and send the hides that my hunter hunted, easy money early in the game) and then just send it off, it will take about 10-20 mins on a land convoy and watch out for notices that your convoy is attacked, you will need to defend it

That was just a quick run-down, ask me any specific questions you have, hope i helped

The convoy that I sent in the beginning of the game (tutorial mission) got attacked and for the entire game (I'm on sequence 10 now) when I go to the trade section, it is just my two upgraded caravans and that one caravan that says "attacked."

I can't delete it or fix it, and it is just taking up space where I could have another caravan coming and going. How can I get three again?

TheSpong
11-03-2012, 05:41 PM
@liamr11
Thanks for the reply. I'm still at a loss to the logic of it all though (not your fault). It seems I have to buy stuff from the Homesteaders, and then in order to sell it on (send it out in a convoy) I have to pay again? That makes no sense to me. Also, Connor has loads of stuff himself in his stockpile, yet I can't seem to be able to do anything with it, I certainly can't go straight to trading with. Anyway, as a tutorial, I bought a load of stuff from the Homesteaders (apples, ash lumber, catnip, ****** pelts & clay). I go to the Trading menu and find that the one convoy I had seems to have disappeared, no idea where that got to. The original tutorial mission made me send it somewhere, I haven't seen it since and now all I have in the Trading section is the message "You don't have any convoys at this time". So now I've just wasted over a thousand pounds on a load of stuff that it seems I can't do anything with. I despair.

I've not even attempted to look at the crafting seeing as the rest of the accounting is so illogical to me (even though I've looted countless chests and acquired numerous recipes and items). Ubi really failed at providing a proper explanation for it, like that tedious bowling game you're forced into at one point (a Homestead mission). What were the rules? I had no idea at any moment what I was supposed to be doing in order to win. But I digress.

Anyway, any more help (as detailed and as idiot-proof as you can make it) would be greatly appreciated. As it stands, that whole aspect of AC3 (something I thoroughly enjoyed in the previous games) is sitting there unused, totally wasted, because Ubi couldn't be bothered to explain it properly.

liamr11
11-03-2012, 06:01 PM
@liamr11
Thanks for the reply. I'm still at a loss to the logic of it all though (not your fault). It seems I have to buy stuff from the Homesteaders, and then in order to sell it on (send it out in a convoy) I have to pay again? That makes no sense to me. Also, Connor has loads of stuff himself in his stockpile, yet I can't seem to be able to do anything with it, I certainly can't go straight to trading with. Anyway, as a tutorial, I bought a load of stuff from the Homesteaders (apples, ash lumber, catnip, ****** pelts & clay). I go to the Trading menu and find that the one convoy I had seems to have disappeared, no idea where that got to. The original tutorial mission made me send it somewhere, I haven't seen it since and now all I have in the Trading section is the message "You don't have any convoys at this time". So now I've just wasted over a thousand pounds on a load of stuff that it seems I can't do anything with. I despair.

I've not even attempted to look at the crafting seeing as the rest of the accounting is so illogical to me (even though I've looted countless chests and acquired numerous recipes and items). Ubi really failed at providing a proper explanation for it, like that tedious bowling game you're forced into at one point (a Homestead mission). What were the rules? I had no idea at any moment what I was supposed to be doing in order to win. But I digress.

Anyway, any more help (as detailed and as idiot-proof as you can make it) would be greatly appreciated.

i'll go through this sentence by sentence

Q: It seems I have to buy stuff from the Homesteaders, and then in order to sell it on (send it out in a convoy) I have to pay again?

A:To send stuff to the shops all you will need to pay will be the tax percentage displayed on your convoy page

Q:Connor has loads of stuff himself in his stockpile, yet I can't seem to be able to do anything with it

A: All you use connors stock for is either to craft or you can sell it at general stores, but you must go to the store yourself to sell it

Q:I bought a load of stuff from the Homesteaders (apples, ash lumber, catnip, ****** pelts & clay). I go to the Trading menu and find that the one convoy I had seems to have disappeared

A: It was probably attacked and left un-checked, you will need to build a new one, here is the Recipe from my strategy guide: Woodworker (LVL 1), Oak Bark, Oak Lumber

As for the rest of the Paragraph i agree, it should have been explained a lot better

liamr11
11-03-2012, 06:03 PM
The convoy that I sent in the beginning of the game (tutorial mission) got attacked and for the entire game (I'm on sequence 10 now) when I go to the trade section, it is just my two upgraded caravans and that one caravan that says "attacked."

I can't delete it or fix it, and it is just taking up space where I could have another caravan coming and going. How can I get three again?

I had this problem as well, and i've found that either:

1. It is a Glitch that NEEDS to be fixed by ubisoft.

2. You need to find the convoy in the frontier and do something there, i'm about to go out looking now

Tell me if you find out anything

TheSpong
11-03-2012, 06:27 PM
i'll go through this sentence by sentence

Q: It seems I have to buy stuff from the Homesteaders, and then in order to sell it on (send it out in a convoy) I have to pay again?

A:To send stuff to the shops all you will need to pay will be the tax percentage displayed on your convoy page

Seems like an unnecessary level of realism to me, but thanks for explaining it, at least it has reason now.

Q:Connor has loads of stuff himself in his stockpile, yet I can't seem to be able to do anything with it

A: All you use connors stock for is either to craft or you can sell it at general stores, but you must go to the store yourself to sell it

Thanks again. Makes me wonder why Connor appears in the Stockpile at all (seeing as its primary function is just to buy stuff from the Homesteaders), his inventory should only appear in the Crafting if that's the only category his items have a function for.

Q:I bought a load of stuff from the Homesteaders (apples, ash lumber, catnip, ****** pelts & clay). I go to the Trading menu and find that the one convoy I had seems to have disappeared

A: It was probably attacked and left un-checked, you will need to build a new one, here is the Recipe from my strategy guide: Woodworker (LVL 1), Oak Bark, Oak Lumber

Oh right. It would've been nice if the Trading section told me all that instead of showing a nondescript and unhelpful message just telling me I had no convoys.

Anyway, I think I'm just starting to wrap my head around it all now. I've managed to craft a new convoy (with a capacity upgrade, w00t!), it's kind of irksome that you have to go to the Stockpile in order to buy the parts you need rather than just being able to buy them from within the Crafting. I've obviously now been given access to selling all that stuff I spent my money on earlier, so I'm about to send the convoy on its merry way.

Thanks for your help, it's been invaluable :D

liamr11
11-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Seems like an unnecessary level of realism to me, but thanks for explaining it, at least it has reason now.

Thanks again. Makes me wonder why Connor appears in the Stockpile at all (seeing as its primary function is just to buy stuff from the Homesteaders), his inventory should only appear in the Crafting if that's the only category his items have a function for.

Oh right. It would've been nice if the Trading section told me all that instead of showing a nondescript and unhelpful message just telling me I had no convoys.

Anyway, I think I'm just starting to wrap my head around it all now. I've managed to craft a new convoy (with a capacity upgrade, w00t!), it's kind of irksome that you have to go to the Stockpile in order to buy the parts you need rather than just being able to buy them from within the Crafting. I've obviously now been given access to selling all that stuff I spent my money on earlier, so I'm about to send the convoy on its merry way.

Thanks for your help, it's been invaluable :D

Glad to have been of service, oh BTW you can decrease the tax if you liberate the area (or take the fort) in which the shop is stationed. and a tip, get a naval convoy as soon as you can, get to roll in the big money then

CalgaryJay
11-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback about the Accounting Book, Liam...I finally got it figured out late last night, but I was really struggling with the concept of it too beforehand.

Too bad I didn't realize earlier you needed some of those chest supplies for recipes...the first 2 I found, I sold along with all my furs to Shopkeepers for $$$ to buy weapons/outfits with. Dang...

liamr11
11-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback about the Accounting Book, Liam...I finally got it figured out late last night, but I was really struggling with the concept of it too beforehand.

Too bad I didn't realize earlier you needed some of those chest supplies for recipes...the first 2 I found, I sold along with all my furs to Shopkeepers for $$$ to buy weapons/outfits with. Dang...

Yeah it is a bummer, they should have a safe-lock so you dont sell the stuff you need

CobraCmdr23
11-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Yeah, crafting/economy is not explained well in this game. It's a bit weird to jump into something like that with very little explanation.

Think of it like this. Every homestead artisan you help is running a business to make money and live their life. For various reasons, where they live is unsafe and your homestead is just right for them. So they set up shop and do business.

When you see the items listed, you are paying them for their services so they can live. That is why you are purchasing what they have grown/harvested.

When you send out convoys you will see a list of merchandisers that wish to pay you for your goods. You send a convoy out to those locations which have a tax and a risk of being ambushed/robbed, (like how you can ambush enemy convoys). When selling goods, make sure you look at how much the merchandiser is willing to pay for your goods. Some may pay less than half the other will pay. This makes you get the best bang for your buck.

If you capture Templar forts it cuts taxes down, which can be reduced all the way to 0% giving you full profit.

In my experience, war materials, clothing, and medical supplies offer the most money.

NickatNite89
11-03-2012, 08:23 PM
I get an message that says Convoy is being attack.
Were do I go to stop the attack?

Also, to add more people for more crafting items, I need to do homestead missions?

liamr11
11-03-2012, 08:26 PM
I get an message that says Convoy is being attack.
Were do I go to stop the attack?

Also, to add more people for more crafting items, I need to do homestead missions?

If you go to the frontier and look at your map, you'll see where the attack is happening, or you can send an assassin recruit.

Yes, you need to do homestead missions for that

NickatNite89
11-03-2012, 08:29 PM
If you go to the frontier and look at your map, you'll see where the attack is happening, or you can send an assassin recruit.

Yes, you need to do homestead missions for that

Thank you kinda stranger.

raytrek79
11-03-2012, 08:35 PM
I know when you get Almanacs, you get recipes and inventions, keep an eye out for them. But I haven't figured out much about homesteading yet. I am up to a mission where you chase a dude around a circuit through alleys and he drops silver to draw people, but you can't bump into them. It is annoying me.

liamr11
11-03-2012, 08:45 PM
You're welcome, i'd be more specific but i always send my recruits to deal with convoys

CalgaryJay
11-03-2012, 09:39 PM
This isn't a crafting question, but its a Homestead question nonetheless..

While googling for hints on how to level up Artisans I read something that freaked me out, about how you have to have EVERY Homestead mission for that sequence done before the end of the sequence, or you may not get a chance to upgrade them again. Is this true?

Just wondering because I'm in Seq 7 & have been doing Homestead missions, and it seems every time I finish one, a new one appears. Done like 4 in a row now & I'd like to get back to the main story for another mission but I have no idea how close to the end of Seq 7 I am, just worried I won't get the chance to upgrade them later if I leave now. Thanks!

liamr11
11-03-2012, 09:49 PM

While googling for hints on how to level up Artisans I read something that freaked me out, about how you have to have EVERY Homestead mission for that sequence done before the end of the sequence, or you may not get a chance to upgrade them again. Is this true?

Just wondering because I'm in Seq 7 & have been doing Homestead missions, and it seems every time I finish one, a new one appears. Done like 4 in a row now & I'd like to get back to the main story for another mission but I have no idea how close to the end of Seq 7 I am, just worried I won't get the chance to upgrade them later if I leave now. Thanks!

This is complete rubnbish, i didnt do any homestead missions till seq 8

CalgaryJay
11-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Ok thanks man, kinda figured as much but you never know.

Haha you mean I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internets??

Serrachio
11-04-2012, 02:33 AM
I've been trying to locate Big Dave's tools in New York, but they don't show up anywhere on the map under a Homestead mission icon.

How do I get ahold of them, or do I need to talk to him again?

Strideo
11-04-2012, 02:45 AM

This is complete rubnbish, i didnt do any homestead missions till seq 8
That's good to know, but I've been doing the Homestead missions as they've appeared since around sequence six and none of my artisans have leveled up. Is this a bug that will be fixed?
On topic however, I do think that the Homestead aspect of AC3 is interesting, I just wish it was explained better.

Brunadas
11-04-2012, 02:50 AM
Guys how to send an assassins recruit to defend a convoy?I've tried but I didn't figured it out.

Thanks

IVIav3r1ck
11-04-2012, 03:32 AM
All of it actually works, bugs not withstanding. The problem is the UI is one of the worst ever conceived, and you have to start over after every action.

Cristari
11-04-2012, 03:52 AM
All of it actually works, bugs not withstanding. The problem is the UI is one of the worst ever conceived, and you have to start over after every action.

Actually the problem with the Artisan missions is you finish the game generally before you have all your artisans in place. Thats what happened to me and I'm still gathering them all as I type!

If I was doing this game I would have made the Homestead a whole story line by itself and encourage you to do it before being sent off to Boston.

VenuvianRaider
11-04-2012, 04:51 AM

Go to the Crafting part, choose Recipes, Special Items and there will be LAND CONVOY. This allows you to make another wagon...and you can Craft added capacity. I had the same problem, even after reading the guide. I am finding allot of problems that should not be. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO NAVAL CONVOYS WITH NO LUCK !!!! It is rather a weird and very complicated system they came up with for generating income.

VenuvianRaider
11-04-2012, 04:54 AM
glad to have been of service, oh btw you can decrease the tax if you liberate the area (or take the fort) in which the shop is stationed. And a tip, get a naval convoy as soon as you can, get to roll in the big money then

how do you get a naval convoy ???????

mfunaro3
11-04-2012, 07:44 AM

I've been kicking out every homestead mission b/c it gives you access to extra mats from that NPC. I've done a ton of crafting thinking that was going to lvl up these npc's so they could craft more items, but it doesn't. If completing the homestead missions lvls the NPCs, that's a big no-go, b/c these fools aren't getting past lvl 1. Or this game is buggy. I've got AC3 for PS3 and that's not the only thing that doesn't work.

I can't play that game six or nine, whatever you call it, where you got to get the 3 chips in a row to 86 an opponent's chip. Get the NPC down to 2 chips and you win. It doesnt' let me make 3 in a row, whether it's when I'm setting up the board or moving them aournd when the board has all the pieces on it. But that's for a different form.

Anyways, the crafting mechanic could be awesome, as an MMO player, I'm all about crafting. But this sucks. Gotta fix this bugs!

liamr11
11-04-2012, 01:23 PM
how do you get a naval convoy ???????

You gotta craft it, here's the recipe

woodworker (lvl 2) Bear Grease (from hunting yourself, thats how i did it anyway), Oak Bark, spruce Lumber

Killdog-D
11-12-2012, 02:53 AM
Is there a limit to the time you can save an attacked convoy? I can't find the shield icon anywhere on the maps?

canadian94eh
11-13-2012, 08:09 AM
anyone know how to find flour? the recipe for bread (part of a delivery request) calls for eggs + milk + flour, i can buy eggs and milk from homesteaders but i can't find flour anywhere (and i've completed all homestead missions)

Sigmatus776
11-21-2012, 05:33 AM
Currently have a game-breaking glitch I need help with. My character enters the stockpile, where I'm supposed to buy wood. After doing so, or shortly opening up the menu, I'm unable to make any buttons work. Escape, Left Control, Mouse clicks, Backspace, Enter all no longer work.

This makes it impossible to exit the Stockpile menu, and it loads up to the menu every time I restart the game.

Again, I'm able to enter about one menu with 'Enter' initially, after which all buttons fail working. Nothing on screen in clickable, scroll able, or can exited. I've double checked to ensure none of my buttons are bound to anything else, I've attempted to bind action buttons to different keys and reset them, to no avail. Clicking backspace or escape initially to escape the screen do not work.

Please, please tell me you have a solution to this. My game is in perpetual limbo.

TERMIN4TOR1000
11-24-2012, 05:43 PM
In Sequence 5 the first time i enter the accounting book, it wont let me out. I buy lumber from stockpile tab, and when i click backspace to leave nothing happens, escape doesnt work either, nothing. And when i leave the game to continue from the last save, it appears that the last save is in the accounting section! So im stucked in it now. Its Sequence 5 and i simply dont wanna start the game again, it would be my third time because i allready played untill sequence 8 but accidentally erased the save game and even if i do it would prolly happen again. Can someone help me?

wafflesex
11-25-2012, 07:15 AM
You guys *****ing about how things are complicated is pretty hilarious. A monkey could figure out the games in this game without any instruction not to mention the crafting really isn't complicated AT ALL. Sounds like some of you might be legally brain dead.

xAELONx
01-14-2013, 04:05 PM
Hello everyone,

I have read a cpl of posts in this thread and I must say some of you guys just need to learn how to read.
Most of the crafting and trading is self-explanatory. For instance, you want to craft glass windows you
need sand, you got no sand, no glass-windows. You will have to do ALL homestead missions in order for your
whole homestead to be at 100%. I am at sequence 12 now and had my homestead at 92% when I finished
Sequence 10. Meaning, there was one more homestead mission (Doctor, you can look that up in the DNA Tracker).

But for the illogical part (to me at least): You buy from your homesteaders, fair enough, they have to live off their work.
You pay 160 for a beaver pelt of myriam, fair enough, it sells for up to 500 something with the best merchant. So far,
so good. What bothers me, is the crafting. You craft 10 items and the crafting makes the item as expensive as 1500
or more in the end because it gets more expensive to craft, the more the goods deplete. But seriously 800 for one item?
This is totally blown out of porportion, considering it is the 18th century. A beaver pelt for 160 might be reasonable,
selling it for 500 something, dunno. Crafting one item for 800 just to sell it for 200? Who the hell calculated this? A
fifth grader? I do understand that crafting gets more expensive, the less goods you have but not more expensive
than selling the good afterwords is just plain idiotic.

Second Part: Who was the creator of the crafting menue? This is the most user-unfriendly thing I have ever had
the chance to come across. You craft one item you are in "metalworks" for example. You hit "B" and the first time
I used this I was expecting to be back in "metalworks" but no, some genius thought it was good to get back
all the way to the top where the Farmer goods are. What the effing hell? This is more button pushing for something
that should be side mission at its best than I can handle. Why not make this easier? So I can waste an hour crafting
and having 3 land convoys and 3 naval convoys, which give me about 50 k? TOO FRIGGIN COMPLICATED, takes
too much time. Should have been simplified and shorter because I literally can craft about 120 items now
and I do not find it easy to make money now, takes too long.

All in all I thought the idea of crafting, trading and stuff was good but the execution was very poor. And just a remark:
Connor is able to put all his skinned animals and goods he collected on convoy, someone said his items were useless.
Not true, brother ;)

Dear Ubisoft, I'd appreciate a simplified crafting and trading menue, a more logical value system and lots more benefit
for doing all those homestead missions. I still like this game with all the bugs, illogical stuff, nonetheless, good job.
But maybe you could take some of this critic to heart and improve before you decide to release DLC, please...?

Thanks ;)

ravinder55
04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
This glitch relate to Sequence 8. You can't capture all Boston Forts because sequence 8 main quest is killing Pitcairn and according to storyline Pitcairn take shelter in one of Boston Fort. If you captured all Boston forts before killing pitcairn it'll create this glitch.

Assassin_M
04-16-2013, 05:37 PM
what ? who ? where ? how ? why ?

gamer9teen8d6
04-22-2013, 07:54 AM
craft to trade to the buyers, I guess the more you craft the more you grow homestead;)