PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed 3's Ending Disappointment or not!

shadowbase93
11-02-2012, 05:26 AM
So i just finished the game sad to see it end like that. Wanting to see if any other people feel the same way i do with the ending being a total disappointment.

pirate1802
11-02-2012, 05:41 AM
Nope. I quite liked that. Fitting for an AC game which is always riddled with cliffhangers and unanswered questions.

Anykeyer
11-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Its very disapointing. Not because its another cliffhanger but because it disregards a lot of what was established before. It just popups out of nowhere. Yes, AC2 and ACB also had surprising endings, but they were exciting, this one is more like stupid, even a kid could do better. Resembles ME3, but main characters have 2 instead of 3 stupid choices, and you cant even make that choice, its forced

pirate1802
11-02-2012, 07:03 AM
What does it disregard actually? And AC was never about choices why were you expecting one?

Anykeyer
11-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Look, I will not argue with you for 2 reasons.
1. Its not spoilers forum,
2. Not a single word of yours can change my perception of ending being a pile of ********. Its my opinion, get over it.

pirate1802
11-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Not looking to argue with you, just want to know why some people hate the ending as much as they do.

Race4LastPlace
11-03-2012, 01:09 AM
Made no sense at all. What was the point of Abstergo? Whats the point of the Templar and Assassins fighting? Everything was just a plan to enslave humanity or let it die? A plan that all the ancients seemed to know, but only told at the end, but decided it'd be okay to string these random messages.

WHAT
A
BUMMER

BlackRose1809
11-03-2012, 01:39 AM
Not looking to argue with you, just want to know why some people hate the ending as much as they do.

I'm in between so I can answer your question.

Hate: Because of Desmond and how it just ended so... quickly. I mean in the other games, you are told WHY you are in the animus, and this time it's like, it seems he has died and now you go back... it was too quick and no emotions.

Love: I just love how they gave me more questions to ask, did Desmond really die? Who is in the animus? Who is that voice?

DinoSteve1
11-03-2012, 02:26 AM
I wouldn't say disappointing, but it wasn't awesome either, I would have like to play more as Desmond, I'd love to see a modern day assassin's creed.

Alpha Ender
11-03-2012, 02:55 AM
Disappointed in the ending for several reasons.

TWCB, they knew all this **** would happen. Reading between the lines, it appears that not only was Juno "saved" to the First Civ's version of an Animus/database, but so was Minerva. Minerva knew for centuries that Desmond would be the one who could help stop the end of the world. If she knew he was the one who would do it, just...why? She knew that at that point of time, there wouldn't be enough time to save the world. She could have easily told anyone this long beforehand. Even if you make the argument that, oh, she couldn't communicate until Ezio's visit to the Vault under the Vatican, then okay, fine. She should have told Ezio instead, because he could have set everything in motion to prepare for Desmond's work. Say that Desmond's bloodline somehow perfectly fits the requirements to operate First Civ tech; maybe he's more "god" than human (notice how quickly the Apple obeyed his command at Abstergo, once it was outside of the range of the influence of Juno, a true "god").

So let's run with that. Ezio should have been instructed to find the temple and get to work on building and preparing for Desmond's time. Or almost anything besides just being told a message for a man who could never save the world.

-----------------------------------------------

So there's issue one. Issue two:

How is Desmond back in the Animus (assumed, as we're seeing more of Connor)? Let's assume that when Clay was saving him in ACR, he was literally "saving" him to the database, as Juno implied was possible during the scenes where you go to plug in the power source. That's the only way I really see it. Desmond is likely dead, and if he's not, why is his body thrown back into the Animus?

Issue three:

Minerva somehow couldn't have stopped Juno? She's apparently there too. She couldn't root out which section of the system Juno was hiding in? How exactly is Juno back to power? She has no Pieces of Eden, nor do they always fall under her control (as evidenced by Desmond's statements about how he chose to kill Lucy), she is still just a holographic form, and there's no showing from the game at any point that TWCB are in any way much more powerful than us beyond their creation of the Pieces of Eden and their "knowledge" sense, which...well, if you can predict the end of the world, speak across 75k years in a manner that people will understand, etc. etc., but you can't tell that basically a coworker is plotting world domination or that these people that you can apparently see so clearly aren't actually going to do what they need to in time? That's not knowledge at all.

------------------------------------------------

In the end, ACIII was a fantastic game except for the ending. It felt like an incomplete story that was made that way specifically to create more games. And let's be honest with ourselves here, who wouldn't buy more Assassin's Creed games? All I wanted was an end to this story arc. If they made games that were this quality sans the ending, I would continuously buy them because I had a hell of a time playing it. But the rest of the game, hell, the rest of the series, do not deserve this ending.

MisterMocha28
11-03-2012, 09:30 AM
I totally agree with Alpha Ender, a ton of questions were unanswered and this being the supposed "end" of Desmond they should have been answered. I loved every single one of the games just like everyone else, and the games always seemed to find a way to surprise me with all the plot twists and such. Although ACRev in my mind should have been the end, I still enjoyed AC3 (except for that ending.) To me honestly it felt rushed. Everything leading up to it in present time with Desmond seemed to just happen so quick one after the other. The whole Abstergo thing for instance, You've got this corporation that has been a daunting enemy from the start of the series, and Vidic the "Evil mastermind" behind it all. Then you just run in and run out no problem and thus the story continues. No epic fight, no struggle, no nothing. Desmond barely walks out with even a scratch.

Also Alex Cross, this guy in my eyes (after reading up on him and hearing about him in-game) I thought was going to be evenly matched with Desmond. He seemed like he was going to be a really badass fighter that would possibly be Desmond's toughest foe. You know there is always that one enemy that is equal in almost every way and puts up one hell of a fight. But nope once again disappointed, he is just some guy with a gun and cowardly behavior. Don't know how a guy like him was ever considered an assassin or even a templar at that.

The whole Minerva, Juno thing was what really annoyed me, because those two just yapped on about irrelevant crap that I almost felt like whoever wrote their dialogue was just throwing in big words and random phrases to fill that ending sequence. All in all, If this truly is the end to Desmond's story I am shocked that a team that put together 4 brilliant games with a mind blowing story that connected so well, ended it as they did. Really hope they know what they are doing, or if they lost control and are just throwing together whatever they can think of just so they can continue making money off this saga.

But one final note that I would like to throw out as more of a question. What do you all think was going on with Alex Cross? He looked to be getting controlled by the apple, but it wasn't in Desmond's hands at the time. (or so I don't think) Let me know if you have any ideas about that.

pirate1802
11-03-2012, 10:09 AM
I totally agree with Alpha Ender, a ton of questions were unanswered and this being the supposed "end" of Desmond they should have been answered. I loved every single one of the games just like everyone else, and the games always seemed to find a way to surprise me with all the plot twists and such. Although ACRev in my mind should have been the end, I still enjoyed AC3 (except for that ending.) To me honestly it felt rushed. Everything leading up to it in present time with Desmond seemed to just happen so quick one after the other. The whole Abstergo thing for instance, You've got this corporation that has been a daunting enemy from the start of the series, and Vidic the "Evil mastermind" behind it all. Then you just run in and run out no problem and thus the story continues. No epic fight, no struggle, no nothing. Desmond barely walks out with even a scratch.

Also Alex Cross, this guy in my eyes (after reading up on him and hearing about him in-game) I thought was going to be evenly matched with Desmond. He seemed like he was going to be a really badass fighter that would possibly be Desmond's toughest foe. You know there is always that one enemy that is equal in almost every way and puts up one hell of a fight. But nope once again disappointed, he is just some guy with a gun and cowardly behavior. Don't know how a guy like him was ever considered an assassin or even a templar at that.

The whole Minerva, Juno thing was what really annoyed me, because those two just yapped on about irrelevant crap that I almost felt like whoever wrote their dialogue was just throwing in big words and random phrases to fill that ending sequence. All in all, If this truly is the end to Desmond's story I am shocked that a team that put together 4 brilliant games with a mind blowing story that connected so well, ended it as they did. Really hope they know what they are doing, or if they lost control and are just throwing together whatever they can think of just so they can continue making money off this saga.

But one final note that I would like to throw out as more of a question. What do you all think was going on with Alex Cross? He looked to be getting controlled by the apple, but it wasn't in Desmond's hands at the time. (or so I don't think) Let me know if you have any ideas about that.

Need a little clarification on this: What did you find shocking, that Desmond dies, or that they ended the game with all those unanswered questions everywhere.

And before anyone thinks let me clarify, I'm not looking to pick a fight or argue :/ just looking to gain insight into other people's thoughts.

POP1Fan
11-03-2012, 10:26 AM
It was DESMOND'S end. They couldn't just finish the whole Templar vs Assassin war now by just answering all the questions. They still want to make more games.

KiShiDo
11-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I agree with the Juno/Minerva stuff... I somehow find if stupid... Juno has hidden herself and waiting for her release... But Minerva is standing right next to her but isn't released or "alive"?

Serioulsy

NoSequel4U
11-24-2012, 01:57 PM
I know right? Desmond just dies and then the game ends. Although if they didn't give us more questions or a crazy ending then it wouldn't really be an AC ending.

twenty_glyphs
11-24-2012, 04:07 PM
It's terrible because it feels so contrived, so different from the rest of the series, and there is almost no payoff to important plot elements from the previous 4 games. They've spent 4 games building up the threat of the Abstergo satellite launch, and it's brushed aside by a couple of lines of dialogue and an email from Shaun. Desmond said he saw the future and the satellite didn't even work, and Shaun says he thinks Abstergo can't launch the satellite at all in the near future. That is not payoff for the central conflict that was introduced in the first game, it's just a total cop-out.

Then they just brush aside the end of the world conflict introduced in AC2 and built up for 3 previous games. Desmond literally just pushes a button to end the threat. They don't even show the threat about to happen or being prevented. Desmond says "It's already started", which is hilarious considering the story never shows us the solar flare is already going crazy. They don't even hint at how the world is saved in the ending itself, you have to have picked up on the hint from the first method of salvation Juno explained to Desmond. And then they don't even show the solar flare approaching earth and being stopped by the Grand Temple, they just show a lame newscast showing the pseudo aurora borealis produced in the aftermath. It's just lazy and creates no payoff for this second important plot conflict.

Many of us thought they really knew what they were doing by layering this Abstergo satellite threat and the solar flare threat on top of each other, but AC3 literally just tosses those two threats aside with the wave of a hand. There's not even like a half hour mission where those threats are resolved, they're just... gone with the push of a button or a line of dialogue. All of that so they can introduce the real threat of Juno. It just makes the first 5 games feel like they were only a setup for the next phase of the story. They feel totally meaningless and useless to me now. Then there's the horrible way the ending is presented as just watching two holograms argue over Desmond. Then Desmond doesn't try to fight or even defy Juno. He just makes this important decision in an instant and assumes humanity will be okay. There's no emotion between him and the supporting characters. William makes some lame attempt at emotion, but then he, Shaun and Rebecca just leave without even saying goodbye. It's all just so stupid.

Then there's the fact that they ignored everything Subject 16 had been trying to tell Desmond about Eve and whatever else. Abstergo seemed to have this master plan, and knew about Minerva's message to Desmond through Ezio a decade before 2012, but that whole plot was just ignored. I like cliffhangers and mystery and don't want every single question answered. But AC3 leaves just frustration and unfulfillment in its wake. After 5 games, they needed to actually spend time resolving old mysteries or at least elaborating on them. AC3 literally changed me from someone who was deeply interested in the story to someone who doesn't even care where it's going from here. That's how bad it was and how little faith I have in the writing team after this game.

Pete199123
11-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Here's my 2 cents regarding the ending.... Yes it's disappointing, but if you think about it you got to make sense from every game in the franchise... First of all what's the game all about? The Templars, are those who seek order in the world, yes there vision makes sense, after all its a good thing to achieve order, but why is the templar perspective the antagonist one in the story? and why are the assassins their sworn enemy, and work to gain freedom? That's what the ending is all about. It explains it clearly. First you got to see it the other way round on how many people are seeing it. Juno is not the antagonist... Minerva is.

This is testified by the 2 options both given to Desmond. And why are there 2 options anyway? Simple..... The Templar way and the Assassin way. That's why the Templars and the Assassins are in a race with each other. The Templars are the ones which had wished to destroy the world with the solar flare, to start a new world (like Juno said) and be seen as a Leader, then a Legend, and then as Gods! which concludes to the idea of their wish "ORDER", and start a new world with power in their hands. On the other side the Assassins do not seek any personal desires for the world but just to oppose the Templars and that's why! They won the race for the search of artifacts and the last thing to do at the end of it is to destroy the templars wish.... that's why the game ended like that. Juno and Jupiter sided by the Assassins, Minerva by the Templars...

A yeah and the guy talking in the epilogue is subject 16... Its an animus thing and a present thing (based on when he yells "that revolution thing").. no ancestors nothing..... He's trying to help Desmond somehow.

she-assassin
11-27-2012, 07:23 PM

It's Daniel. Daniel Cross. And yes, they butchered his character in AC3. Just read the comics, he's a total badass (except for the Fall 3 where he has funny hair and creepy personality change, but anyway). Also, to answer your other question...you should really read the comics.

Shad0wmancer1
11-27-2012, 10:43 PM
the ending was absolutely awful in every thinkable way

TrueAssassin77
11-27-2012, 10:49 PM
i was disappointed

MisterMocha28
11-28-2012, 06:57 AM
It's Daniel. Daniel Cross. And yes, they butchered his character in AC3. Just read the comics, he's a total badass (except for the Fall 3 where he has funny hair and creepy personality change, but anyway). Also, to answer your other question...you should really read the comics.

Thank you for the correction, I actually realized my mistake after I posted this. You can thank Tyler Perry for my mistake. But you know what? Your right! All my questions most likely will be answered in the books and comic books. They do that on purpose don't they? So that way we hunger for more of the story and HAVE to buy the books/comics. Those bastards! I'll have to find time to go out and start purchasing the comics.