PDA

View Full Version : [Spoilers] So Why Did the Ending Suck? [Spoilers]

tjbyrum1
11-02-2012, 03:14 AM
Been hearing and seeing lots of negativity about the end of AC3.

Just beat the game, watched Desmond meet his fate.

Why exactly does it suck? Are you drawing this on opinion or do you think it was a bad decision and explain please. Personally, I saw nothing wrong with it; we were waiting to see how Desmond saved the world, and we saw what he did.

thejoshknight
11-02-2012, 03:18 AM
I don't think it does. I quite like it. It wraps up desmond's arc while progressing the series into future titles.

I imagine most people are just upset Desmond is dead. I felt the same way for a while when they killed Lucy off, but then when I recognized that was used to advance the story, I was cool with it. If they can see that Desmond's death helps advance the story, I think they will feel the same way.

Sharkey1337
11-02-2012, 03:26 AM
I didn't think it was that bad either, definitely nowhere near the ME3 ending.

Layytez
11-02-2012, 03:29 AM
The ending only sucks when you take for what it is. When you think deeper into it it makes more sense. I thought it was terrible untill I actually spent some time taking in what Minerva said.

xsatanicjokerx
11-02-2012, 03:30 AM
The whole thing seemed very rushed. It wasn't much of an ending he just touched something and died. Roll credits. It was such as buzz kill and a huge disappointment after years of waiting.
And what about all that stuff 16 and Juno talked about in previous titles? Eve? Desmonds son? awaken the 6th? Ubi left a lot of stuff in the dark.
There was a lot of things that bug me during the game as well, besides the graphical glitches, like how did Connor (and Achilles) know that haythem was his father without any mentioning about him until they talk in the basement. little things like that really took away the great moments and ruined what could have been a masterpiece of a game.

OMG Emetophobia
11-02-2012, 03:35 AM
i agree with satanic, the end felt rushed. We spent all this time with desmond, i mean dont get me wrong i understand the whole "meeting his fate" thing but you grow a connection to such a character then he dies with nothing epic about it, im a tad disappointed :/ they coulda did something if not anything to make it seem like all his work was for something besides some news dood talking while the credits rolled..

tjbyrum1
11-02-2012, 03:59 AM
I'll admit I was mad that Desmond died, as he had so much potential (a modern-day Assassin's Creed game should only star Desmond, no one else).

Ubisoft is teasing us... Desmond... and modern-day settings could work so well. Desmond is, or war, a great character, and we would have all preferred him as our character. Climbing up skyscrapers, roaming around a large city, fighting police, guns implementation, social stealth - it was all there and it all worked and Ubi pulled it off in AC3, just not in the way I had preferred them too. **** the players who want AC to be all about ancestors! Cause I'm pretty sure AC3 was meant to be an all-Desmond game.

But in the end, we got what we wanted - Desmond's fate and what happens. I don't think we should complain to be honest, but I can see where some of you are coming from.

pirate1802
11-02-2012, 04:04 AM
It doesn't suck. Rushed? Yes. Could have been better? Yes. Sucks? No, certainly not to ME3 level.

tjbyrum1
11-02-2012, 04:11 AM
I thought ME3 had multiple endings... never played it, but read about it.

Anyway, I think people say it sucked cause it was unexpected...?

xx-pyro
11-02-2012, 04:17 AM
I'll admit I was mad that Desmond died, as he had so much potential (a modern-day Assassin's Creed game should only star Desmond, no one else).

Ubisoft is teasing us... Desmond... and modern-day settings could work so well. Desmond is, or war, a great character, and we would have all preferred him as our character. Climbing up skyscrapers, roaming around a large city, fighting police, guns implementation, social stealth - it was all there and it all worked and Ubi pulled it off in AC3, just not in the way I had preferred them too. **** the players who want AC to be all about ancestors! Cause I'm pretty sure AC3 was meant to be an all-Desmond game.

But in the end, we got what we wanted - Desmond's fate and what happens. I don't think we should complain to be honest, but I can see where some of you are coming from.

The motto that the AC team uses in almost every video is "History is our playground." Remind me where there's ever been any sort of hint towards AC3 being an all Desmond game- oh wait, there's not one. Don't presume your opinion applies to everyone, it doesn't.

Layytez
11-02-2012, 04:19 AM
"They must all suffer as we suffered" Jesus I wish I had noticed quicker.

Sharkey1337
11-02-2012, 04:22 AM

I'm pretty much considering Watch Dogs to be my modern Assassin game, so excited for it! :cool:

tjbyrum1
11-02-2012, 04:25 AM
The motto that the AC team uses in almost every video is "History is our playground." Remind me where there's ever been any sort of hint towards AC3 being an all Desmond game- oh wait, there's not one. Don't presume your opinion applies to everyone, it doesn't.

And don't just assume you understand what I fully meant.

I don't mean to argue, cause I'm not good at arguing, but I know Ubi planned AC3 to be all Desmond from the start but changed on us around the development of AC2.

I know they've never said it, and I've heard them say "History is our playground" a lot, but that's besides the point... better to say that's after the point.

I'm not good at explaining things, but I shall try. We all know AC was meant to be a trilogy - AC1, 2, and then 3. But something changed, I don't know if it was a resultant of the franchise's success or what, but Ubi took a different path. I just know - disagree all you want - but I just feel that Ubi had planned for an all-Desmond AC game - or at least have him in a large portion of it - in AC3. But they deviated from this either during or after development in AC2, deciding instead to create an Ezio Trilogy while they worked on AC3, but they figured "The players want historical Assassins, not a modern-day Assassin" and they went with it.

We'll never know until Ubi comes out and says it - but I just feel that AC had an original layout and then it was changed for some reason... maybe cause they realized the strongest point of the game was the ancestors. I can't explain it very well, as I've said before, but hopefully someone else can.

Disagree,, try to prove me wrong, but until Ubi announces something I'll hold true to my thoughts.

pirate1802
11-02-2012, 05:35 AM

from.

Goddess that would have sucked. I don't want my AC to become a Splinter Cell/GTA clone. Thats not the usp of AC anyways. If they realized it somewhere during the development process then I'm glad they did. AC3 would have been a shadow of what it is had it been an all-Desmond game.

Eurostar7
11-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Well i dont see a reason for anybody to relive ancestors memories in future AC games because a highly advanced and possibly immortal being that created our race is now out to enslave its inhabitants once again with an arsenal of technology that nobody can defend against and who knows where the other 2 dozens pieces of eden are located, by memory. Its no longer Templars vs Assassins anymore because Abstergo/Templar agents do NOT want anybody but themselves to manipulate humankind.

Im interested to see how theyll pull off an AC4 without creating more plotholes., but im still pissed off at the ending of AC3. They should have respected Desmond's character and his father and his buddies didnt even try to pry him away from his death, they just walked away which was iincredibly dumb, did the game testers not complain about some of these things during alpha release?

infamous_ezio
11-02-2012, 11:30 AM
"They must all suffer as we suffered" Jesus I wish I had noticed quicker.

yeah, all makes sense. It was definitely planned for a while, but what i don't understand is why did minerva and tinia give desmond false hope?

EscoBlades
11-02-2012, 12:13 PM
yeah, all makes sense. It was definitely planned for a while, but what i don't understand is why did minerva and tinia give desmond false hope?

It wasn't false hope. There might have been another way to save the world without paying Juno's toll. However, she manipulated events to ensure that Desmond entered the Grand Temple, and ultimately made it to the biometric device at a specific point in time, thus meaning that she could use the Catastrophe as a bargaining chip and forcing his hand.

If he had made it to the Temple prior to December 21st 2012, he might have found another way, a way Tinia and minerva alluded to.

PS: I posted in one of the other threads a video where i discuss this. Or you can locate it on my channel. Spoilers obviously.

infamous_ezio
11-02-2012, 01:20 PM
It wasn't false hope. There might have been another way to save the world without paying Juno's toll. However, she manipulated events to ensure that Desmond entered the Grand Temple, and ultimately made it to the biometric device at a specific point in time, thus meaning that she could use the Catastrophe as a bargaining chip and forcing his hand.

If he had made it to the Temple prior to December 21st 2012, he might have found another way, a way Tinia and minerva alluded to.

PS: I posted in one of the other threads a video where i discuss this. Or you can locate it on my channel. Spoilers obviously.

ahh i see, makes sense, as stated by minerva, there wasn't enough time to prevent the apocalypse, juno ensured that they reached the temple, (could have been before the 21st, don't see why it had to be that specific date, but i get your drift) just so they have no other option. Wow, the more i think about it, the more i realize how this is one of the most brilliantly written endings i've seen. Although it could have been presented a bit better, maybe showing an after math of what would happen? i suppose that might be saved for a future installment though!

one more problem though... how did juno survive? and remain in the temple?

zerocooll21
11-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Looking for it right now :)

pirate1802
11-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Wow, the more i think about it, the more i realize how this is one of the most brilliantly written endings i've seen.

You're not the only one to think like that mate.

infamous_ezio
11-02-2012, 01:42 PM

haha :). Seriously, this ending wasn't what I anticipated, they could have presented it a bit better, but still, it makes sense.

EscoBlades
11-02-2012, 01:42 PM

Likewise. And i agree that the ending cutscene could have been presented better. Does make you sit and try and wrap your head around everything though. Still, the ending was a hell of a lot better than people give it credit for in my opinion.

infamous_ezio
11-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Likewise. And i agree that the ending cutscene could have been presented better. Does make you sit and try and wrap your head around everything though. Still, the ending was a hell of a lot better than people give it credit for in my opinion.

I think that's what the main problem is. They could have explained everything much better, showed for cinematics, showed desmond's funeral which the crew there, maybe have some dialogue from william saying what there next move was. There was nothing, not even a bit of emotion when they realized desmond was about to die... that's what I didn't like. I wander what the odds are of another AC modern game now, based on stopping Juno? or maybe this is it, the conlusion to this series, we were trying to save humanity, but no matter how we tried, we're still screwed.

zerocooll21
11-02-2012, 01:55 PM
I didn't flat out hate the ending but I wasn't pumped for it either. I 100% agree with you gusy, could have been shown/explained a lot better.

pirate1802
11-02-2012, 02:10 PM
I think that's what the main problem is. They could have explained everything much better, showed for cinematics, showed desmond's funeral which the crew there, maybe have some dialogue from william saying what there next move was. There was nothing, not even a bit of emotion when they realized desmond was about to die... that's what I didn't like. I wander what the odds are of another AC modern game now, based on stopping Juno? or maybe this is it, the conlusion to this series, we were trying to save humanity, but no matter how we tried, we're still screwed.

I'm 100% sure more AC games are coming. The ending definitely foreshadows that. I think next we will play as a descendant of Desmond, using the Animus (obviously) to study the lives of Adam and Eve, see how they revolted during their time, use that knowledge to rid the world of Juno. Erudito would figure in somewhere among these.

infamous_ezio
11-02-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm 100% sure more AC games are coming. The ending definitely foreshadows that. I think next we will play as a descendant of Desmond, using the Animus (obviously) to study the lives of Adam and Eve, see how they revolted during their time, use that knowledge to rid the world of Juno. Erudito would figure in somewhere among these.

Yeah, I suppose so! maybe there will be DLC for the modern day story line...
there's one thing that still bothers me though, from the ACB truth... "your SON"... what... the hell does this mean

pirate1802
11-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Maybe Desmond's son.. who will continue the fight against Juno. I have no idea though where his son comes from now that he's dead. Maybe he had an illegitimate child living away somewhere..

Bigodon
11-02-2012, 03:15 PM
It doesn't suck. Rushed? Yes. Could have been better? Yes. Sucks? No, certainly not to ME3 level.
Agreed

Me3 was a massive crap
this can be compared to what bioware did in me because the lack of content, rushed cinematics, lack of explanations for some events
lazy rushed conclusion of a fantastic trilogy is sad, when you play and aupport this since its released, this getting worse :/

JCearlyyears
11-02-2012, 05:19 PM
I think the ending was way too short. It didn't seem to have the care of the endings from the other games. I wish it was longer and more detailed and had more of an emotional impact. The team didn't seem to care much, save for William who only tried once. Nobody said goodbye, no '' We'll miss you.'' Nothing. They didn't even come back. I wish they would show it. The only reason I can think of for them not showing them coming back is because they don't want to spoil that he is still alive, if he is still alive.

samuelcd1997
11-02-2012, 06:03 PM
I was honestly expecting them to give us the choice between who to go with - minerva or juno.
Also I was annoyed at how abruptly it ended. I was hoping to see what exactly Juno did, what happened to Rebecca and Shaun etc

POP1Fan
11-02-2012, 07:16 PM
The ending is brilliant. It's not cliche, it's a mind****, a nice twist, happy and sad at the same time and very unexpected. There aren't plot-holes, like many think, and that's a HUGE plus for a story like AC's. But the reason why some people don't like it is because (and they are mostly right) of the presentation. The whole ending is very short. In a longer period of time, it could have been perfect.

Rithrius
11-02-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't mind the conclusion of the story as it was. In fact, i thought it was pretty good. I only hated the fact that it was so rushed and undetailed. They could have drawn it out a bit more, expanded on the explanations a bit, or i don't know, actually SHOW what happens rather than hearing a bunch of news reports describing what was happening.

FlarelordFenix
11-02-2012, 07:40 PM
I have really mixed feelings about this ending.

I can see where those of you who approve it are coming from, but I personally hate how rushed it felt, and how empty it was. I am not upset that Desmond died - at least, not in the 'fix my ending' way - It hurts, but I can accept character death for plot. What hurts is that it was so... hollow and meaningless. The moment reeked of devil's bargain, either choice a curse, and it was intense and visceral and real. But, combined with a relative lack (compared to my hopes and expectations) of additional, modern assassin stuff with Desmond, a lack of having some final... something before Desmond flipped the switch for the godlike ancient being just drove me nuts.

On another hand, I almost suspect that Desmond wasn't slain outright so much as either transferred into storage like Juno was or dropped back into ancestor mode without an Animus. I hope he's still alive, even if his part of the story is over. I agree - there is no other PC more suitable to being our modern assassin PC when we get the opportunity. I also feel that this... recent trend of these hollow, empty game endings, or tragic endings... or just poorly designed, underdeveloped ones.... It's a plague on the gaming industry as a whole. I can't tell if they're just rushed and underfunded at that point, or intentionally lacking to incite controvercy and promote DLC and the next game... Stop having cliffhangers, and give us some ending that feels... real?

I accept that this ending has a lot of deeper implications, but I need and want something more.... palpable to experience. Having to draw all of the conclusions and imagine what might be with nothing but 25 minutes of credits and a short garble-y radio transmission isn't my idea of a real ending - never mind not getting nearly enough stuff to do with Desmond.

Also, now that I'm through, I can't go replay Desmond's missions :(

pirate1802
11-02-2012, 08:10 PM
. Having to draw all of the conclusions and imagine what might be with nothing but 25 minutes of credits and a short garble-y radio transmission isn't my idea of a real ending.

On the other hand, I love putting together all those puzzle pieces in my head. It makes it all that more brilliant as you start to see the bigger picture. Different strokes for different people I guess. But yeah the ending should have been longer and a bit fleshed out.

Oli Karter
11-02-2012, 08:23 PM
i was just wondering how can this explain why you are still reliving connors memories afterwards. Also do you think they might add something in a dlc

AdrianJacek
11-04-2012, 10:18 PM
i was just wondering how can this explain why you are still reliving connors memories afterwards. Also do you think they might add something in a dlc
Isn't that Abstergo trying to get data? The achievement icon for doing that shows 3 arrows pointed at the Abstergo logo so...