PDA

View Full Version : My views on AC3 *spoilers*

JumboBus
11-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Let me start off by saying that I did enjoy playing AC3. I don't think I loved it as I did with AC2 but it was still a fun game to play.

*SPOILERS THROUGHOUT*

Ill start off with what I liked about AC3. First of all the game looks absolutely stunning. Whether walking through the frontier, sailing the oceans or walking the streets, the detail on EVERYTHING is fantastic. The only thing that doesn't look that detailed is the pile of leaves that are dotted about for you to fall into, which to be honest doesn't bother one bit. The character models are great. The only game I can think of where I've seen better is LA Noire. The voice acting is top quality. The rich British people sound posh, all the voices sound as they should do, accents and all. The only bit of voice acting I didn't like was the old Mohawk women because she had the most annoying voice I have ever heard but luckily you don't have to put up with her for long. The gameplay has also drastically improved from the other games. The climbing and the fighting are a lot more fluid and enjoyable. I especially liked the new combat, maybe because it was a lot more brutal. Also I wasn't sure how guns would work in AC but they actually work really well. It was a great turn to be able to play as Haytham at the beginning instead of just being the one character the whole way through. The twist when they all turned out to be Templars was brilliant however I do think that Ubisoft should've made this bit a bit shorter, because I, like many people, were really looking forward to being Connor and I felt that some of the missions were a bit unnecessary and just dragged it out too much. Another pleasant surprise was Desmond's role in the game. In the other games I just wanted the Desmond parts to go by as quickly as possible, but here I felt they were one of the highlights of the game. When Desmond goes out into the world to find more of the power sources it may be short but it shows how an AC game could work in a modern day setting, something that I thought was completely crazy before this game. And even though I've never read the comics or books, I have heard of Alex Cross and I think that it was a great idea to bring him into the game and is something that cold be done with other AC characters in the future. Finally the naval battles were also great fun. It's not what you would've expected from an AC game but it fits in fine and is great fun do to and grants variation after all the roaming the countryside.

Now onto the not so good parts. As I said I think that the Haytham parts went on too long, and also it took too long for Connor to be brought into the world of the assassins. Something else was the plot of the game. I think that the plot only really interests Americans and people interested in the revolution and as a Brit and didn't really know about any of it or cared about what was happening. You might say that this is because I was annoyed that the British were shown as the "bad guys" but in fact I enjoyed fighting the redcoats more than I did the patriots. In short, the plot doesn't appeal to everyone. You might say the same about the previous renaissance setting but somehow that seemed to work and I and everyone else it seems to have fallen in love with all of it. If only they could have picked a setting that could've done the same thing. Something else is that Connor doesn't seem to be a very relatable character. He's always angry and wants to fight people and I never got to the point where I cared about the character like I did with Altair and ezio.

Now onto the ending which I have mixed feelings about. During the final cutscene I was preparing like many people to make a choice on whether to save the world or not but I was ok when we weren't given that option, I know that's not how AC works. I will be fine with ending as long as it or its ramifications are subject in future games and it is not just left like that. I also wish it was done in more detail, and it seems like they ran out of ideas for how to end it. I mean try said they didn't make a shield and then the solution was a shield. I hope that Desmond isn't actually dead, it would be a shame considering how he's now at a point where he would be perfect to have as a main character in the game instead of being an assassin in the animus.

Anyway these are my views, feel free to discuss.

Radman500
11-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Let me start off by saying that I did enjoy playing AC3. I don't think I loved it as I did with AC2 but it was still a fun game to play.

*SPOILERS THROUGHOUT*

Ill start off with what I liked about AC3. First of all the game looks absolutely stunning. Whether walking through the frontier, sailing the oceans or walking the streets, the detail on EVERYTHING is fantastic. The only thing that doesn't look that detailed is the pile of leaves that are dotted about for you to fall into, which to be honest doesn't bother one bit. The character models are great. The only game I can think of where I've seen better is LA Noire. The voice acting is top quality. The rich British people sound posh, all the voices sound as they should do, accents and all. The only bit of voice acting I didn't like was the old Mohawk women because she had the most annoying voice I have ever heard but luckily you don't have to put up with her for long. The gameplay has also drastically improved from the other games. The climbing and the fighting are a lot more fluid and enjoyable. I especially liked the new combat, maybe because it was a lot more brutal. Also I wasn't sure how guns would work in AC but they actually work really well. It was a great turn to be able to play as Haytham at the beginning instead of just being the one character the whole way through. The twist when they all turned out to be Templars was brilliant however I do think that Ubisoft should've made this bit a bit shorter, because I, like many people, were really looking forward to being Connor and I felt that some of the missions were a bit unnecessary and just dragged it out too much. Another pleasant surprise was Desmond's role in the game. In the other games I just wanted the Desmond parts to go by as quickly as possible, but here I felt they were one of the highlights of the game. When Desmond goes out into the world to find more of the power sources it may be short but it shows how an AC game could work in a modern day setting, something that I thought was completely crazy before this game. And even though I've never read the comics or books, I have heard of Alex Cross and I think that it was a great idea to bring him into the game and is something that cold be done with other AC characters in the future. Finally the naval battles were also great fun. It's not what you would've expected from an AC game but it fits in fine and is great fun do to and grants variation after all the roaming the countryside.

Now onto the not so good parts. As I said I think that the Haytham parts went on too long, and also it took too long for Connor to be brought into the world of the assassins. Something else was the plot of the game. I think that the plot only really interests Americans and people interested in the revolution and as a Brit and didn't really know about any of it or cared about what was happening. You might say that this is because I was annoyed that the British were shown as the "bad guys" but in fact I enjoyed fighting the redcoats more than I did the patriots. In short, the plot doesn't appeal to everyone. You might say the same about the previous renaissance setting but somehow that seemed to work and I and everyone else it seems to have fallen in love with all of it. If only they could have picked a setting that could've done the same thing. Something else is that Connor doesn't seem to be a very relatable character. He's always angry and wants to fight people and I never got to the point where I cared about the character like I did with Altair and ezio.

Now onto the ending which I have mixed feelings about. During the final cutscene I was preparing like many people to make a choice on whether to save the world or not but I was ok when we weren't given that option, I know that's not how AC works. I will be fine with ending as long as it or its ramifications are subject in future games and it is not just left like that. I also wish it was done in more detail, and it seems like they ran out of ideas for how to end it. I mean try said they didn't make a shield and then the solution was a shield. I hope that Desmond isn't actually dead, it would be a shame considering how he's now at a point where he would be perfect to have as a main character in the game instead of being an assassin in the animus.

Anyway these are my views, feel free to discuss.

SPOILERS........

it just seemed like ubisoft rushed desmond's parts, like they just wanted to get done with him....... what about eve, what about the sixth sense.... wtf none of that resolved..

sh*tty ending

JumboBus
11-01-2012, 11:09 PM
And I just realised I've posted this in the wrong section...

Assassin_M
11-01-2012, 11:09 PM
SPOILERS........

it just seemed like ubisoft rushed desmond's parts, like they just wanted to get done with him....... what about eve, what about the sixth sense.... wtf none of that resolved..

sh*tty ending
Do you have to spam how much you hate the ending on every thread you come across ??

Radman500
11-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Do you have to spam how much you hate the ending on every thread you come across ??

yes because it sucked bad... it was almost as bad as mass effect 3 ending........

why do you always have to defend ac3

Assassin_M
11-01-2012, 11:12 PM
yes because it sucked bad... it was almost as bad as mass effect 3 ending........

why do you always have to defend ac3
I`m not defending, its not even my favorite game..

I`m annoyed at every thread I see your name on.. "Maybe he`ll say something interesting" "Maybe he knows something" but all I see is "Ending sucked" "ending sucked" "ending sucked" again and again... you even do it in the same thread... "ending sucked" *couple of pages later "Ending wtf Ubi ?" Just enough, mate.. yeah we get it. You hated the ending, but for god`s sake just shut up already

Radman500
11-01-2012, 11:14 PM
I`m not defending, its not even my favorite game..

I`m annoyed at every thread I see your name on.. "Maybe he`ll say something interesting" "Maybe he knows something" but all I see is "Ending sucked" "ending sucked" "ending sucked" again and again... you even do it in the same thread... "ending sucked" *couple of pages later "Ending wtf Ubi ?" Just enough, mate.. yeah we get it. You hated the ending, but for god`s sake just shut up already
because its that bad

Assassin_M
11-01-2012, 11:17 PM
because its that bad
To you, so please... I want to see other things that do not include you whining again and again and again... like you are right now..

You have an opinion, fine no problem, Its cool. but do not shove it up everyone`s face. I mean in the same thread ?? "Ending sucked" The same thread ???? God its annoying... just once.. we understand. Just ONCE and we get it and Ubisoft gets it, but everyday its the same song and dance. there is not even an inch of variety in your sentences of how the ending was bad, you use the same words.

So please.. We get it

ShaneO7K
11-01-2012, 11:56 PM
I actually liked the ending, while it could've done more to clear up some of the topics brought up in previous AC games, it was no where near as bad as ME3s ending. Would've prefered more modern missions and better gameplay for it. The issue that was brought up with the AC2 ending with the guards with batons that we ended up thinking was to allow Lucy continue her mission appeared again in this when Abstergo knew Desmond would be a big threat but at least a few Abstergo agents had guns (But with terrible aim).

Definitely looking forward to seeing where the modern story goes next. One of the things I liked about Connors story was that I found myself siding with the Templars for the most part.

BlackLight3578
11-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Just a comment on the part about them showing the British as the bad guys. Through out the game they said the opposite, especially through the data bases. They even explained how Washington really wasn't a good general, how the brits won most battles, how the patriots were Hippocrates, how they they didn't even speak up for the majority of the people, and how they would treat natives much much worse than they did connor. Even then, i don't see why a brit wouldn't like this setting as it was in a way a British civil war.
Spoiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
At the end connor realized how wrong he was as soon as he killed his childhood friend. I agree he didn't develop into a more calm and responsible assassin from his missions as ezio and Altair did. at the end of the game, it kinda seemed like connor would definitely change after what happened. His mentor gone, his father gone, his people gone, his hopes for peace and freedom gone, all of it gone. After all of this, he couldn't afford just to be angry.

I think how he allowed lee that last drink despite how much he hated him might mean he could grow.

But as it stands right now, they kindabombed on it.

I mean when he was younger before havign his robes, his brashness worked for his age. When we saw him maturing with achilliness and he got his robes, i was expecting the assassins we saw in the e3 gameplay trailer or other previews. Ruthless but clam, smart, and patient.

JumboBus
11-02-2012, 04:28 PM
All I know is that when the revolution setting was announced all my friends were like "we'll this is going to suck". The revolution doesn't have much interest to other nations. It might've been better if they hasn't tried to rush it as well. The war seemed to go so quickly and it looked like they were in such a hurry to get in all the main people who were involved in the war that none if them were developed well enough.

pirate1802
11-02-2012, 04:36 PM
I actually liked the ending, while it could've done more to clear up some of the topics brought up in previous AC games, it was no where near as bad as ME3s ending. Would've prefered more modern missions and better gameplay for it. The issue that was brought up with the AC2 ending with the guards with batons that we ended up thinking was to allow Lucy continue her mission appeared again in this when Abstergo knew Desmond would be a big threat but at least a few Abstergo agents had guns (But with terrible aim).

Definitely looking forward to seeing where the modern story goes next. One of the things I liked about Connors story was that I found myself siding with the Templars for the most part.

Agreed 100%. I liked it too, could have been implemented better, but in a nutshell, I liked it. loved it even.

BlackLight3578
11-02-2012, 08:27 PM
All I know is that when the revolution setting was announced all my friends were like "we'll this is going to suck". The revolution doesn't have much interest to other nations. It might've been better if they hasn't tried to rush it as well. The war seemed to go so quickly and it looked like they were in such a hurry to get in all the main people who were involved in the war that none if them were developed well enough. For me, i'd rather they go into areas not well known than just popular ones all together. When it comes down to it, the revolution offered the ideas of freedom vs order, something the series has always been about. It may not have much interest to other countries, it may not be something that's spoken about often in other countries, but why not try it out and learn about it?Perhaps that's a reason they chose over soemthign like china as well. Why not try to share some info about this period? Even then, it wasn't just the war but the era itself, which did provide an interesting back ground. Slavery, government control, western ideology, imperialism, freedom, manifest destiny, a lot of interesting things to go through.

I think most people expected it to try and be a one sided game aimed to americans, but ti wasn't. It touched upon things that are sensitive(like slavery) which is a pretty bold move.

The setting was great, just the way the main missions executed it wasn't always good. actually the main mission were downright ****ty which reflected poorly on what the era provided. Side missions, the frontier, the city life, the naval battles, all of these where just amazing.

Not to mention the frontier was probably the best environment to come out since ac2.

AccelerationZ
11-02-2012, 09:29 PM
My only problem with the game was I feel like I barely knew Connor by the end. You didnt really see much of him as a full assassin I feel like. And I thought he was going to be in more major battles.

Wish they would've cut out the beginning. Didn't feel very needed to me and all it did was leave me with a wait, that's it? Feeling at the end.

ACPrincess
11-02-2012, 10:14 PM
WOW Connor isnt as relatable as Ezio or Altair???
Ezio was a nob, it seemed like him joining the creed was a way of getting to shag every girl in Italy, The only good personality trait he had was he was charming. I didn't feel sorry for him at all. He's like James Bond before Daniel Craig ( And Daniel Craig is my fav Bond)
Altair whom i love but he didnt have the same depth as Connor.
Imagine going to frollock in the forest with your friends to then be beaten up and threatened by some grown man and then come back to yor burned village at such a young age (5 i think) he's naive, humble, sweet caring for those he love, he longs for a father, he longed for someone to care about him. He isnt angry ALL the time aqnd if he is he has a right to be. I said it once and i'll say it again Connor is AC's version of Anikan Skywalker. I clicked with him, all he needed was a cuddle.

As for the ending (Spoileer) i think Desmond may be stuck in Animus world (whatever) like Clay cause didnt he say he'd help him in the darkness or something. I think its the last Desmond centerd game, but i dont think it'll be the last we see of him. I'm pretty sure it'll be Eve where following in AC4 to stop Juno cause in (Liberations Spoiler) TOWCB told Aveline "Eve will lead us through the war of generations"

Also Alex Cross reminded me of Aaron Cross from Bourne Legacy, everytime i saw him i was like OMG it's Aaron Cross' son LOL :)