PDA

View Full Version : View points almost pointless

gothpunkboy89
11-01-2012, 09:22 PM
I do enjoy how they made it so as you walk around in unmapped areas it fills in the map a small bit around you. Which makes sense that your knowledge of the lay of the land wouldn't be restricted to just what you get a look of from a high tower.

but now it seems like the view points aren't really don't anything. Or at least not any were near as effective as before.

I hit all the view points in Boston and a few in the Frontier. But there are still large amounts of area still covered up. Like in Boston the entire norther Docks failed to show on the map. As with all of Mill Pond area failed to show on map.

I kinda understand why the Frontier wouldn't give you 100% of the map but even the view points on that seem to give less then useful area map. But places like Boston and the other cities should give you 100% map by going to the view points.

Anyone else notice this issue or is it just me.

Baroni 88
11-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Agreed, I am trying to open up areas of the frontier but they aren't very big and I notices these View point are few and far between one another with space still left empty. It sucks for discovering areas.

HisShadowX
11-01-2012, 09:41 PM
It seems they did a focus group on what to put in a video game on the Hardcore Minority rather then the casuals.

gothpunkboy89
11-01-2012, 09:52 PM
It seems they did a focus group on what to put in a video game on the Hardcore Minority rather then the casuals.

Actually you would be wrong. There are a few things that take getting use to, and a few glitches out there. But besides this issue with the view points not giving away any of the map areas. It is still made for casual as well as hard core players.

UncappedWheel82
11-01-2012, 10:10 PM
I do enjoy how they made it so as you walk around in unmapped areas it fills in the map a small bit around you. Which makes sense that your knowledge of the lay of the land wouldn't be restricted to just what you get a look of from a high tower.

but now it seems like the view points aren't really don't anything. Or at least not any were near as effective as before.

I hit all the view points in Boston and a few in the Frontier. But there are still large amounts of area still covered up. Like in Boston the entire norther Docks failed to show on the map. As with all of Mill Pond area failed to show on map.

I kinda understand why the Frontier wouldn't give you 100% of the map but even the view points on that seem to give less then useful area map. But places like Boston and the other cities should give you 100% map by going to the view points.

Anyone else notice this issue or is it just me.

I'd agree with you except for the fact that I like having to go explore an area rather than just follow an icon on the map. I've still got a lot to explore but I like it so far.

HisShadowX
11-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Actually you would be wrong. There are a few things that take getting use to, and a few glitches out there. But besides this issue with the view points not giving away any of the map areas. It is still made for casual as well as hard core players.

"It takes a few things getting used to"...that doesn't sound casual friendly at all

gothpunkboy89
11-01-2012, 10:22 PM
"It takes a few things getting used to"...that doesn't sound casual friendly at all

Only because we have played AC1, AC2, ACB, ACR without a significant chance to the combat set up. We are use to playing one way. But take a person who has never played it and give them the controls and they would be able to get it easily. It is kinda like going from US to UK and driving there. It takes getting use to being on the other side of the road but en the end it is just as easy as here.

HisShadowX
11-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Only because we have played AC1, AC2, ACB, ACR without a significant chance to the combat set up. We are use to playing one way. But take a person who has never played it and give them the controls and they would be able to get it easily. It is kinda like going from US to UK and driving there. It takes getting use to being on the other side of the road but en the end it is just as easy as here.

I've been playing for over twenty hours now. Still sight seeing and the combat never gets better and I still have no love for the map interface. There is a right way to change things, you know make them better and then there are Artistic reasons when the developer makes something they like yet the customers do not.

It's like Gmail and Yahoo Mail the majority of people hate the new versions yet they keep insisting that we upgrade to a version that does less than the previous version. The map menu is horrible and AC2's combat system is way better. Same with the combat and AC2's combat I thought sucked but it was playable and you weren't dying half the time. This game.....gah

gothpunkboy89
11-01-2012, 10:38 PM
I've been playing for over twenty hours now. Still sight seeing and the combat never gets better and I still have no love for the map interface. There is a right way to change things, you know make them better and then there are Artistic reasons when the developer makes something they like yet the customers do not.

It's like Gmail and Yahoo Mail the majority of people hate the new versions yet they keep insisting that we upgrade to a version that does less than the previous version. The map menu is horrible and AC2's combat system is way better. Same with the combat and AC2's combat I thought sucked but it was playable and you weren't dying half the time. This game.....gah

The map interface takes getting use to. but the fact you can now fast travel within the cities to any fast travel point allows you to get across boston or other cities with ease. The same thing with Homestead. I can go from the manor to boat quickly now to get me were I need to be.

Your lack of developing combat skills seems more your issue then game not being made for casual gamers. The combat system is actually very very simplified. Everything about this game has been simplified. The only annoying thing is that unlike the hidden gun it is a realistic time period gun. so that nice long reload time.

The combat is now just a 2 or 3 button system. No need to lock on just look for the red indicator and press block. then for all basic guys just hit attack to counter kill. For guys like Captains and what not you block then hit X to break defense then hit attack to kill them.

Rob1610
11-04-2012, 03:19 AM

I got used to it pretty quick. I actually enjoy the fact that you no longer have to hold R1/RT to block/counter. The only thing that's taking time to get used to is throwing them.

On Topic: I find the lack of viewpoints both frustrating for the lack of a fully revealed map and enjoyable for the challenge of not knowing what you'll find.

Jexx21
11-04-2012, 03:30 AM
I love how AC3's combat is more simple than the others but it's still harder.

Easy to learn, hard to master?

Saqaliba
11-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Oh, I was wondering where the viewpoints had gone. Had done all the frontier and it was still clouded in some areas... in fact, alot of areas. So does this mean to uncloud it I basically have to manually discover the frontier?

And BTW... there is still a 'block' function. It is no longer R1 though. Holding down circle before an enemy strikes, will make him block, whilst pressing it makes him counter. So effectively instead of holding down R1, you hold down circle. (PS3) This will not work when unarmed (fists).