PDA

View Full Version : Combat system

DSTRVCTION
11-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I don't know if I'm the only one having this problem, but I really don't understand the new combat system. I just can't get used to it. I've played every assassin's creed so far but this doesn't make any sense to me. I would gladly have someone to help me sort this out.
So, when I get into a fight with a group of soldiers, I press B to block an attack, after which a slow-mo triggers. (is there a way to turn these slow motions off? I like to have fluid bad-*** animations ..) After this I press X, which sometimes results in a counter, and sometimes it won't do anything (does this depend on the type of soldier I'm fighting?)
Is there still a low-profile and high-profile? 'Cause when I press "RT", nothing changes.

Why is it that sometimes when I'm in a fight, the lock system just stops out of nowhere. In previous games it would change to another enemy after one was killed, now it sometimes just cancels, which results in Haytham jumping awkwardly around and sprinting during the battle (which looks really unprofessional).

Is there a list with all possible button combinations?
I hope someone knows what I'm talking about and can help me ..

UncappedWheel82
11-01-2012, 09:13 PM
I've got my own questions with combat, but to answer your questions, it seems that high and low profile are out now. I still need to play around with the systems some more, but combat breaks down into counter, then either shoot them, instant kill them, disarm, and throw. You can't turn the slo-mo off (as far as I can tell), but you have to input your counter choice immediately after the counter.

The combat has changed alot as there just less buttons that you have to push to fight. If the lock is breaking it might be because you are pressing a button and breaking it.

Rogue Agent 035
11-01-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't know if I'm the only one having this problem, but I really don't understand the new combat system. I just can't get used to it. I've played every assassin's creed so far but this doesn't make any sense to me. I would gladly have someone to help me sort this out.
So, when I get into a fight with a group of soldiers, I press B to block an attack, after which a slow-mo triggers. (is there a way to turn these slow motions off? I like to have fluid bad-*** animations ..) After this I press X, which sometimes results in a counter, and sometimes it won't do anything (does this depend on the type of soldier I'm fighting?)
Is there still a low-profile and high-profile? 'Cause when I press "RT", nothing changes.

Why is it that sometimes when I'm in a fight, the lock system just stops out of nowhere. In previous games it would change to another enemy after one was killed, now it sometimes just cancels, which results in Haytham jumping awkwardly around and sprinting during the battle (which looks really unprofessional).

Is there a list with all possible button combinations?
I hope someone knows what I'm talking about and can help me ..

In a word..., No, you can't turn off the slo-mo after starting a counter. In the combat, it appears to me, that it gives you a choice (i.e., kill, throw, or disarm, depending on the corresponding face button) as far as when u press X an it results in a counter..., never happen to me, it just started a kill an it another guard attacked in order to interupt my kill, I would see the red triangle an press B to counter him, an if he's resistant to my base attack, I'd break his defense an throw him out of the way an resume my attack on the more vulnerable of the group an save him for last as he's the one who's liable to cause the most damage. As for the locking system working/not working in a fight, I doubt it does ever work as most of the guards are already hilighted to attack, just move in the direction as to what guard you wanna take on an counter accordingly. As for a list of all button possibilities, I doubt there is, the devs as well asa esco in his combat preview vid back in sept "Player should expirement an see what combo works accordingly" (paraphrasing of course..., Sorry esco if I got er wrong. :cool:

hope this helps some....

lightning667
11-01-2012, 09:19 PM
i'll see if I can explain but i'm not very good at explaining things in writing so forgive me if this doesn't help.

When an enemy attacks and you press B the character blocks, the screen goes into slow motion because different enemies might require different moves to dispatch them. There is no way to turn off the slow motion but if your quick enough in a fight the slow mo doesn't even happen. But that will only happen when you get more comfortable with the controls.

Pressing X after a block kills an enemy or counters them.

Pressing Y after a block uses your secondary tool. ( If you have your gun as a secondary your character will pull out the gun in the fight and use it in the combo, which will kill the enemy. )

Pressing A after a block will disarm your enemy or break their defense.

From what I've heard in past interviews the lock-on system was taken out of the game and instead the character just moves toward the person their facing. This is during fights though. Outside of combat if you hold LT a pointer pops up that allows you to select a person to attack. ( mostly from long range )

I'm not sure what to tell you about Haytham jumping around awkwardly during a fight as it's never happened with me.

I also haven't seen a list of button combinations. I don't think there is one.

Just keep playing with the game and eventually you'll get the hang of it. It's a really fun game and I hope it works out for you.

DSTRVCTION
11-01-2012, 09:24 PM
I've got my own questions with combat, but to answer your questions, it seems that high and low profile are out now. I still need to play around with the systems some more, but combat breaks down into counter, then either shoot them, instant kill them, disarm, and throw. You can't turn the slo-mo off (as far as I can tell), but you have to input your counter choice immediately after the counter.

The combat has changed alot as there just less buttons that you have to push to fight. If the lock is breaking it might be because you are pressing a button and breaking it.

I don't understand why they've removed it. I noticed it right from the beginning where you drop into the animus and have to go through the little tutorial. At a point you have to air assassinate two guards, in previous games you did this in high profile pressing X, this time you just have to press X ..

I also don't get why there's no such thing as in Brotherhood and Revelations. Don't know how they called it, the animus training sessions. They were of no use in Brotherhood and Revelations, and know that they've changed the combat system the training simulation is gone?

In a word..., No, you can't turn off the slo-mo after starting a counter. In the combat, it appears to me, that it gives you a choice (i.e., kill, throw, or disarm, depending on the corresponding face button) as far as when u press X an it results in a counter..., never happen to me, it just started a kill an it another guard attacked in order to interupt my kill, I would see the red triangle an press B to counter him, an if he's resistant to my base attack, I'd break his defense an throw him out of the way an resume my attack on the more vulnerable of the group an save him for last as he's the one who's liable to cause the most damage. As for the locking system working/not working in a fight, I doubt it does ever work as most of the guards are already hilighted to attack, just move in the direction as to what guard you wanna take on an counter accordingly. As for a list of all button possibilities, I doubt there is, the devs as well asa esco in his combat preview vid back in sept "Player should expirement an see what combo works accordingly" (paraphrasing of course..., Sorry esco if I got er wrong. :cool:

hope this helps some....

After I've blocked an attack by pressing "B", it states (B) break defense, but when I press B nothing happens after the slow motion .. Haytham is just standing there in front of him and I have to press B once more to break the defense, but I'd like to do this in one animation right after the blocking, resulting in: blocking, breaking defense, killing. Boom, done. Am I doing something wrong?

DSTRVCTION
11-01-2012, 09:27 PM
i'll see if I can explain but i'm not very good at explaining things in writing so forgive me if this doesn't help.

When an enemy attacks and you press B the character blocks, the screen goes into slow motion because different enemies might require different moves to dispatch them. There is no way to turn off the slow motion but if your quick enough in a fight the slow mo doesn't even happen. But that will only happen when you get more comfortable with the controls.

Pressing X after a block kills an enemy or counters them.

Pressing Y after a block uses your secondary tool. ( If you have your gun as a secondary your character will pull out the gun in the fight and use it in the combo, which will kill the enemy. )

Pressing A after a block will disarm your enemy or break their defense.

From what I've heard in past interviews the lock-on system was taken out of the game and instead the character just moves toward the person their facing. This is during fights though. Outside of combat if you hold LT a pointer pops up that allows you to select a person to attack. ( mostly from long range )

I'm not sure what to tell you about Haytham jumping around awkwardly during a fight as it's never happened with me.

I also haven't seen a list of button combinations. I don't think there is one.

Just keep playing with the game and eventually you'll get the hang of it. It's a really fun game and I hope it works out for you.

The jumping around probably occurs because I'm just mashing some buttons because I don't know what to do. I'm constantly trying to attack in high profile pressing "RT", but since there is no such thing as high profile it results in running and jumping because the lock system just cancels ..

I truly believe this is going to be a fun game, but I am not willing to progress before I get the combat system. When I start playing as Connor I'd like to know it so that I can kick *** ;p

gothpunkboy89
11-01-2012, 09:32 PM
There is no lock on system any more. Well save for shooting but that is is.

When you are in combat the red alter over your head shows who is attacking. Weather they are behind you, beside you or in front of you if you hit (I'm PS3) the O button it automatically gos into a block move. Then just press your attack button. That sends you automatically into a counter attack. Unless in other AC games the counter attack isn't always an instant kill so you have to do it more then once.

It also seems like the longer you hold the O button it goes into a slow motion moment. Which is needed when facing stronger opponents because you can't actually counter attack them. You have to block, break defenses then attack them.

If you just time it right and just tap the block button then attack it rarely goes into slow motion unless it starts one of those cool little 2 vs 1 fight bits.

It is very very confusing but once you get the hang of it it is very satisfying to watch guys surround you and watch you take them out one by one no matter were they attack from.

HisShadowX
11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
The new system feels broke to me.

I hope the Ubi staff gets it. They've been very kind so far hearing and repsonding to compliants so gotta give them that.

Thanks Ubi

crash3
11-01-2012, 09:41 PM
I think the melee combat has improved a lot, in some areas the opponents have become more challenging, but they are still too predictable, for example I know that by disarming an officer, I know I will have a guaranteed kill after.

Im very happy that there are no more health bars above guards' heads, however, when using hidden blades in combat, does it really take 10 stab wounds to kill a guard? you just end up smashing the attack button

One thing I am very disappointed about is how little damage Haytham/Connor take when hit by a load of bullets, Ive seen them survive being shot by a firing line consisting of 5 soldiers, HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!! sometimes you see tougher guards survive one bullet, which is believable but for connor to survive 5? doesnt seem right to me

Also the guards can be really dumb sometimes, allowing you to go on a massive killing spree which is unrealisitc

luckyto
11-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Hold the counter for less time. You don't have to sit there and let it slo-mo, once you see the block, immediate go into your next move... that makes it much more fluid. It takes practice. I'm still learning too. But I have noticed that I'm getting better and better, and I think it has a degree of depth to the combat that hasn't been seen in AC since AC1.

Honestly, it's easily the best combat system since AC1. It's just that you aren't going to start out badass like in Brotherhood. To be good, you are going to have to work at it. I think its fantastic -

gothpunkboy89
11-01-2012, 09:46 PM
I think the melee combat has improved a lot, in some areas the opponents have become more challenging, but they are still too predictable, for example I know that by disarming an officer, I know I will have a guaranteed kill after.

Im very happy that there are no more health bars above guards' heads, however, when using hidden blades in combat, does it really take 10 stab wounds to kill a guard? you just end up smashing the attack button

One thing I am very disappointed about is how little damage Haytham/Connor take when hit by a load of bullets, Ive seen them survive being shot by a firing line consisting of 5 soldiers, HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!! sometimes you see tougher guards survive one bullet, which is believable but for connor to survive 5? doesnt seem right to me

Also the guards can be really dumb sometimes, allowing you to go on a massive killing spree which is unrealisitc

Yes because everyone wants to play a game were 1 shot and you die. The fact is you can't always get out of the way so making it realistic would have a heck of a lot more de syncing from deaths then you think.

Besides if you want to bring realism into this musket balls were extremely inaccurate. Think Storm trooper from SW Episode 3-6 inaccurate. That was the whole point of getting the massive firing lines together. Over come accuracy with sheer numbers. It wasn't until around Civil War time that the bullet as we know it came into shape. a round ball in a smooth bore barrel was very inaccurate after a certain distance. This game makes up for it by making it very accurate but in return allows you to take the hits that normally would have missed you completely and hit the guy standing next to you.

crash3
11-01-2012, 09:50 PM
Hold the counter for less time. You don't have to sit there and let it slo-mo, once you see the block, immediate go into your next move... that makes it much more fluid. It takes practice. I'm still learning too. But I have noticed that I'm getting better and better, and I think it has a degree of depth to the combat that hasn't been seen in AC since AC1.

Honestly, it's easily the best combat system since AC1. It's just that you aren't going to start out badass like in Brotherhood. To be good, you are going to have to work at it. I think its fantastic -

I completely agree, I enjoyed being thrown in the deep end a bit with AC1 and AC3, the problem with the ezio games was that we started out already knowing the combat system inside out

Ubisoft now has to be careful not to make too many games with the same combat system because we will all eventually get the hang of it then demand another more challenging combat system

Although one thing I thought was really missing from AC3 was a training ring like in AC1 where you could practice different moves, the story just seems too skip some years and connor gives a quick narrative saying that he trained

oIdF4rt
11-01-2012, 09:59 PM

hope this helps some....

No one seems to like the Battlling functions, I hate the Picking Locks, I will not get that acheivement for sure. I will not open any chest UNLESS I have no choice.
I Spent $59.00 for the Game, 29.99 for the DCL and NOW I HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR EACH OF MY CHILDREN to play online. YOU GREEDY PEOPLE.
U-PLAY will not get any more of my money, I'm considering BOYCOTing UBISOFT GAMES.

This is not to mention the big push to preorder the game and get SPECIAL Mayan Ruin that no one can tell you where it is and those that do say it's called something else? WHO is running this show GOOFY or PLUTO cause MickeyMouse would have done a better job.

BBALive
11-01-2012, 09:59 PM
Stop holding R1 or RT when fighting, you don't need to.

B is counter, once the slow-mo activates, press X to kill, Y to use a tool, A to disarm and B to throw. Certain soldiers are immune to different things.

If you press the button immediately after you counter, you won't even witness the slow-mo, which brings back the fluidity you wanted (the system is fluid regardless, but whatever).

And yes, high and low-profile are still in the game.

Rogue Agent 035
11-01-2012, 10:01 PM
I don't understand why they've removed it. I noticed it right from the beginning where you drop into the animus and have to go through the little tutorial. At a point you have to air assassinate two guards, in previous games you did this in high profile pressing X, this time you just have to press X ..

I also don't get why there's no such thing as in Brotherhood and Revelations. Don't know how they called it, the animus training sessions. They were of no use in Brotherhood and Revelations, and know that they've changed the combat system the training simulation is gone?

After I've blocked an attack by pressing "B", it states (B) break defense, but when I press B nothing happens after the slow motion .. Haytham is just standing there in front of him and I have to press B once more to break the defense, but I'd like to do this in one animation right after the blocking, resulting in: blocking, breaking defense, killing. Boom, done. Am I doing something wrong?

Fergive me fer sayin this but, you realize that the defense yer breaking is theirs an not yers, the reason he's just stayin there is because you didn't start another attack...., am I seein yer explaination right? Sorry if I read it wrong as I've been up workin on this since pickin it up at the midnight release tuesday.

UncappedWheel82
11-01-2012, 10:15 PM
My only issue with combat is I don't know (or I want to) disarm an opponent, taking their weapon and killing them with it. You could do it in previous games but it seems now you can. You can disarm them but it seems that you have to go through the extra steps of picking up the weapon in order to use it in a fight.

DSTRVCTION
11-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Stop holding R1 or RT when fighting, you don't need to.

B is counter, once the slow-mo activates, press X to kill, Y to use a tool, A to disarm and B to throw. Certain soldiers are immune to different things.

If you press the button immediately after you counter, you won't even witness the slow-mo, which brings back the fluidity you wanted (the system is fluid regardless, but whatever).

And yes, high and low-profile are still in the game.

I'll try this when I get the chance. I know it's fluid, but you also knew what I was aiming at. If it's still in there, than what's the difference?

Angreh Penguin
11-01-2012, 10:17 PM
My only issue with combat is I don't know (or I want to) disarm an opponent, taking their weapon and killing them with it. You could do it in previous games but it seems now you can. You can disarm them but it seems that you have to go through the extra steps of picking up the weapon in order to use it in a fight.

If you disarm them when you're using your bare fists you take their weapon

DSTRVCTION
11-01-2012, 10:19 PM
Fergive me fer sayin this but, you realize that the defense yer breaking is theirs an not yers, the reason he's just stayin there is because you didn't start another attack...., am I seein yer explaination right? Sorry if I read it wrong as I've been up workin on this since pickin it up at the midnight release tuesday.

I know it's their defense I'm breaking, but when I try to do this it doesn't trigger. But from what I've read here I've been using the wrong button to do so, so I'll have to try this again later on!

BBALive
11-01-2012, 10:23 PM
I'll try this when I get the chance. I know it's fluid, but you also knew what I was aiming at. If it's still in there, than what's the difference?

High and low profile still determines whether or not you'll perform a stealthy assassination, or a very brutal, noticeable kill.

Of course, it doesn't apply when you're in open conflict, it only affects actual assassinations.

My tip for practicing the combat would be to roam around Boston picking fights until you've mastered it.

Oh, and Revelations didn't have the Animus Training Room. Only Brotherhood had that.

Angreh Penguin
I know it's their defense I'm breaking, but when I try to do this it doesn't trigger. But from what I've read here I've been using the wrong button to do so, so I'll have to try this again later on!

It's A on 360 and X on PS3

luckyto

It's not as obvious. Just immediately roll into your next attack the moment your counter starts to go slo (blades connect) and you'll get a really nice fluid motion.

Rogue Agent 035
11-01-2012, 10:42 PM

Cool...., best of luck an have fun! :cool:

DSTRVCTION
11-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Cool...., best of luck an have fun! :cool:

To you as well my friend.

Thanks all for helping me out, going to practice with your help. If I stumble upon problems again you'll hear from me ;p

ProdiGurl
11-01-2012, 11:46 PM
I have Xbox & the break defense is always "A"? (the lower of the 2 circles at bottom right of screen).
I only noticed it after the 'human shield' was available in an early mission.

When I fight, I try to hit the "B" to block at the right moment & then I automatically hit X while the slow mo is going on & it normally does the trick for me unless it's a tougher guard and it doesn't always happen the way it does with other guards. Every once in awhile I'll screw up & not hit my buttons right & Haythem stalks around in circles for a minute till I get him back in line again.

DSTRVCTION
11-02-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm getting it. The problem really was that I was holding 'RT' al the time, because I'm used to it. Feels pretty weird not doing it that way but I'll get used to it! Now .. if I could just know the difference between high and low profile by practicing it somehow ..

KemistiOMG
11-02-2012, 06:20 PM
am i the only one who actually likes a lot of the new combat system?:confused:

deskp
11-02-2012, 06:25 PM
am i the only one who actually likes a lot of the new combat system?:confused:

I think it's good, the game should do a better job of telling you how to deal with the different enemy types though.

hyatari
11-02-2012, 06:49 PM
The combat system feels laughably awkward and dated. It just feels like one long script, where you're not actually fully in control, as you should be. Very watered down and almost an after thought. Where is the weight? Where is the feeling of...actually fighting? It just looks like a cartoon.

DiiLite
11-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi All,

Its a hard habit to break losing the need to target an enemy to enter and exit combat, I know, but I find that this really makes it a lot easier to run around the fight area. I'm sure that you've all noticed that positioning really counts for a lot when fighting a large group, plus, bodychecking some fool against the wall is pretty satisfying.

Note that you can keep your kill streak going even if you have counter an oncoming attack or use break defense on an officer or Brute. Brutes will always block a straight attack, so pay attention to your direction inputs hit those dual kill tool combos.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions. I've spent a lot of time with the fight system, so I'll be able to help you along if things are a little confusing at first.

AWBiggs
11-02-2012, 09:32 PM
The new combat system takes a LOT of getting used to but... its awesome. For those that are struggling, my advice is to roam around Boston and just go nail a bunch of guards randomly and get some practice in. Bigger the group, the better. I spent an hour just picking fights to get the hang of all the different weapon types and combos on offer. I have since been racking up kill streaks and taking names. Of all the issues with the glitches I've had, the combat has been the most fluid, fun and exciting bit of the new game. Bravo... just takes time to get your head around everything. Think the game would benefit from some 'combat training' stuff back with Achilles Perhaps? Too late now... so just go mass assassinate some red coats in Boston.

BBALive
11-02-2012, 09:35 PM
I love the combat. I don't know why people are having trouble with it. Honestly, it doesn't take that much getting used to.

apresmode
11-02-2012, 09:47 PM
This is helpful. I really wasn't getting it. I am sure now that I must have been holding RT and not pressing attack fast enough. I can't wait to get back into it, and kick some ***.

Ubi-MoshiMoshi
11-03-2012, 11:36 AM
The new system feels broke to me.

I hope the Ubi staff gets it. They've been very kind so far hearing and repsonding to compliants so gotta give them that.

Thanks Ubi

Feedback will be sent to the team.