PDA

View Full Version : George Washington's Notebook (Shouldn't be Spoilers)

The_Shinigamer
10-31-2012, 11:45 PM
I picked up my CE of ACIII and after seperating the hidden pages I found a "hidden message" and two images that denote how to solve it but I cannot but barely read the notebook being in cursive and me being half-blind so I cannot seem to solve this. Anyone else get it or any ideas?

tuur29
11-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Hello, I too noticed this and I deciphered the inner circle with the help of a french forum post (http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/1-28123-604500-1-0-1-0-codes-secrets-du-journal-de-washington.htm).

Each number in the circle corresponds with 2 things: the first number is the line and the second (and third in some cases) is the word.

So the number 414 means "Freedom" (it's the 14th word on the fourth line). When u use this key you get:
"Freedom is a plant that grows quickly once it has taken much ___ for.
I suspect the ___ should be "root" but the number is 85 (which doesn't correspond with any word). According to the french forum post this is correct.

I do not have a key to decipher the other 3 circles, but i am trying!

For people that don't have the notebook, I found the photo's on the internet.
Text about saffran: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mctsv9BOpd1qj2gsbo5_1280.jpg
Coded message: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mctsv9BOpd1qj2gsbo1_1280.jpg

A Dez The Don
11-02-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm just working on this now and I got the same as you tuur29. But if I use that key where the first number is the line and the next one or two numbers is the word mine ends with "much by for". I thought it was right until those three words but this makes me think the that I have it wrong as I would have expected the key to work on each line of numbers. Unless it's an anagram? Any ideas on that?

tuur29
11-02-2012, 08:55 PM
@A Dez The Don I do not understand how you get the "by", is the one to last number also 85 in your book?

I am trying to apply the same key to the rest at the moment, maybe this could be of use. So expect another post

EDIT: nevermind I found out how you got to the word 'by'. You kept counting so the sixth line is the first line again etc.

tuur29
11-02-2012, 09:14 PM
So i applied the key to the rest of the text. This is what I get (Inner to Outer circle):

- Freedom is a plant that grows quickly once it has taken much _ for.
- A _ plant _ _ a _ sativus _ _ _ _ Crocus _ Sativus _ _ in _ (a) _ flowers _ a.
- _ demand (Sativus) harvested great _ _ is harvested _ once (once) harvested _ a once _ _ _ demand (_) (_) once _ _ (turned)
- _ demand _ _ crocus _ (harvested) _ as harvested _ (_) a bulb Sativus _ (_) Crocus _ grows a _ harvested harvested _

Legenda:
_ are blank words (their is no corresponding word to the number. example: 09, 60, 98)
(*) are words i am not certain of (example: 102 could mean 10th row second word or first row second word. I took the latter option.)

Also: did anyone wrote down the pages that were stuck together? I did not write them down, maybe this has an importance too.

Iampi55edoff
11-03-2012, 02:37 AM
I came from over at the Neoseeker forums, someone referenced me here, good to know other people have noticed this; and the page numbers for the coded message is 10 to 13. I haven't got the slightest clues how to translate it but you all definitely are onto something.

JOCalem
11-03-2012, 12:21 PM
much VALUE? for
maybe

Tone-Lok87
11-03-2012, 01:03 PM
This is what i got.
Freedom is a plant that grows quickly once it has taken much honour for a council the committee and not with and am i not next I trust this plant form there by out grows executive detailing _ demand i turned great the value by preparing and a..........
i used pages 11-13 obviously and pages 34-35. i picked pages 34-35 for a few reasons; one because this entry's date is different from the others, the June is abbreviated and capitalized. second on page 11 June seem to be slightly bold in line 2. third the map on page 34 makes no sense to me.

tuur29
11-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Hmm...
@JOCalem: How did you come to the word value?
I still believe it should be root because the french forum deciphers the text as: "la liberté est une plante qui croît vite une fois qu'elle a pris racine". ("racine" means root).

@Tone-olk87: Those pages are indeed diffrent from the others, but I doubt that they can be used for the riddle because on page 10 in the lower right corner it says: "This text about saffron is enought to decipher the coded message on the next page."

I thank you both for your contribution and I hope we'll find the key!

A Dez The Don
11-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Was this book written in French first and then translated? If so this could be the reason for the grammatical errors. Has anyone got the French version I might have more luck with that.

tuur29
11-03-2012, 03:57 PM
It is printed in France and designed in the UK. The production happend in Montreal where they speaks French and English. The scriptwriter has a french linkedin profile.
So i have no idea.

A Dez The Don
11-03-2012, 04:22 PM
I was looking around online and found this I must try it now http://www.mountvernon.org/sites/mountvernon.org/files/A_Secret%20Code.pdf

A Dez The Don
11-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I found lots of ideas but I can't get any of these methods to work some of you might stand a better chance than I. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_in_the_American_Revolutionary_War#Sec recy_and_protection

A Dez The Don
11-03-2012, 05:06 PM
this looks the most similar http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/grandrepublican/amrev-spies.htm

tuur29
11-03-2012, 05:17 PM
It does look similar and i have tried using the culper code. It is a list with alfabetical numbered words from 1 to 763.
Link to list of words use in the culper code: http://aphdigital.org/projects/culperspyring/items/show/36

2 problems:
- It's from 1776 and the note in the diary is from 1754.
- i deciphered the 2nd circle form the center with this key and i got:
"appoint (ham) adjust above butter appoint arm captain adorn a (cofry) affair absurd..." I gave up because it doens't make sense. Again I think this can't be it, because it states in the text that you only need the text about saffron.

I have read the wikipedia page and there isn't any other code mention except the culper code.

Did you get any luck with the secret code on mountveron.org? did you find a way to use it? Because I do not understand it very well.

A Dez The Don
11-03-2012, 05:30 PM
I have tried all sorts of different ways now. I've tried two digits are letters and three are words I've tried all letters and all words and I've tried using that cipher code for changing the alphabet afterwards but it either makes half sense or no sense. I am getting somewhat annoyed with it now.

A Dez The Don
11-03-2012, 05:34 PM
there are 77 words and 354 characters without spaces 426 with spaces 5 paragraphs and 5 lines but no matter what way I work it the numbers are still out of bounds for the text

tuur29
11-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Me too. To be save I am posting a message on the helpdesk to ask if the number 85 if correct in the inner circle, because it means nothing and the french deciphered it to "root".
I am not sure if they will answer. EDIT: I have sent it and am waiting for an answer.

About the lines: you could take the sentences instead of lines. There are six sentences but that's also nowhere near enough.

Serrachio
11-03-2012, 05:37 PM
Try not to post multiple times in a row, you can edit posts, and bumping is something that is against the Forum Rules.

A Dez The Don
11-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Sorry it's a habit from instant messaging. I have no idea how they got "root" either they were using a similar method to us and I got "by" unless they just substituted what they thought would work. Also the numbers 34 and 45 are important because they show up multiple times they are something like "a" or "the". Knowing exactly what they are would help in solving the key.

JOCalem
11-03-2012, 06:09 PM
how do you get root?

tuur29
11-03-2012, 06:13 PM
The french forum (http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/1-28123-604500-1-0-1-0-codes-secrets-du-journal-de-washington.htm) deciphers the text as: "la liberté est une plante qui croît vite une fois qu'elle a pris racine". ("racine" means root). They don't even speak of an alternate way to get to "racine"

JOCalem
11-03-2012, 06:20 PM
value is the word that would make most sense i think. root doesn't make much sense. I didn't get value using 85, i just think it makes most sense.

Iampi55edoff
11-03-2012, 07:53 PM
But what about the other circles is there any clue on translating them yet? I thought different pages could be used but George clearly says the information on Saffron is all you need, but he also mentions putting a mask over something? Any idea what that is?

tuur29
11-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Yes I do not know why but I find the Freemasons symbol next to it strange, a compass and 4 circles, I tried but I could find something, maybe he means we have to omit certain numbers according to the compass? Or is it something with the weird drawing at the top of the Saffran page?

Daerdin_Mori
11-03-2012, 08:05 PM
(...) 354 characters without spaces (...)

I got 347...

(...)There are six sentences but that's also nowhere near enough.

I have 5 sentences...

Is it possible we have different texts?

tuur29
11-03-2012, 08:07 PM
O i'm sorry, i counted six with the comma and i also count 354 without spaces (used MS Word).

Daerdin_Mori
11-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Do you remember the film "National Treasure" with Nicolas Cage? There was this code with Franklin's letters. However there were always three numbers as I remember well. Line - word - letter. I know it's impossible with this message as there are two-digit numbers, but maybe this should give us a clue?

Daerdin_Mori
11-03-2012, 08:21 PM
O i'm sorry, i counted six with the comma and i also count 354 without spaces (used MS Word).

I'm 100% sure it's 347 for the letters - MS Word must have counted the full stops and commas (then you get 354)

tuur29
11-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Ah yes that will be it.

Daerdin_Mori
11-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Did you notice as well that the numbers in the inner circle are separated by commas, and in other three circles by hyphens?

tuur29
11-03-2012, 08:33 PM
No, I never noticed that. It is probably another indicator that we need to use a diffrent key

CASPER2CRASH
11-04-2012, 10:05 AM
The number 85 is bugging me, but maybe I have something. If you put it upside down, you get 28 (well almost, a 5 looks like a 2). And with 28 you get the word/letter A. Maybe something to think about that you can put numbers upside down.

kjesa
11-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Hey, I noticed that there are 77 words and in the outer circles there are exactly 77 numbers. I have still not gotten any further with this, though maybe this shines light on your views. I bet that that's not a coincidence..

rakonaton
11-04-2012, 02:06 PM
I got "Freedom is a plant that grows quickly once it has taken much demand for" and the 2nd inner circle has the number 354 but theres no 54th word on line 3? anyone figure anymore out?

Is 85 not the 8 line 5th word if you seperate sentences with the and's and commas?

Found out that it is an actual quote from Washington.

Daerdin_Mori
11-04-2012, 08:58 PM
I got "Freedom is a plant that grows quickly once it has taken much demand for" and the 2nd inner circle has the number 354 but theres no 54th word on line 3? anyone figure anymore out?

Is 85 not the 8 line 5th word if you seperate sentences with the and's and commas?

Found out that it is an actual quote from Washington.

Wow, that seems perfect... but I still can't figure out how you found that 'demand'...

Iampi55edoff
11-05-2012, 04:47 AM
I tried doing it based on the amount of letters on the ring second from the center; I still came up with nothing that made sense. I think it definitely has soemthing to do with the masonic mark nect to it or maybe the all seeing eye on the next page.

Weedzi0
11-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I believe my friends and I are onto something involving the All Seeing Eye, I mean why else would the page be there? I don't want to get all your hopes up if I explain now but I'll work on it tonight and see ;) , But that 85 is really annoying me now! Hopefully some genius will figure it out soon!

MKD_Archangel
11-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Anyone tried this method

http://listverse.com/2012/03/13/10-codes-and-ciphers/

Option 8? Used in the american civil war

CASPER2CRASH
11-05-2012, 11:38 AM
There is another thing different about the circles. The inner circle ends with a full stop and has comma's between each number, while the outer circles have hyphens between each number and at the end. This could mean that it is a sentence that starts at the most outer circle and ends with the inner circle, but this is just a guess.

tuur29
11-05-2012, 11:21 PM
@rakonaton: This has to be it! I am very curious how you got the demand, maybe we can use the same way to decipher the rest as well!

Hey, I noticed that there are 77 words and in the outer circles there are exactly 77 numbers. I have still not gotten any further with this, though maybe this shines light on your views. I bet that that's not a coincidence..
@kjesa: That is indeed very suspicious. There has to be a connection.

I think it definitely has soemthing to do with the masonic mark nect to it or maybe the all seeing eye on the next page.
@Iampi55edoff: A compass and 3 circles. Maybe the eye looks at the center of the circles because that is the place where you put the compass point?

I believe my friends and I are onto something involving the All Seeing Eye, I mean why else would the page be there? I don't want to get all your hopes up if I explain now but I'll work on it tonight and see , But that 85 is really annoying me now! Hopefully some genius will figure it out soon!
@Weedzi0 I look forward to your reply. Please share your method even it isn't the right one.

The_Shinigamer
11-06-2012, 02:07 AM
If anyone's interested, the quote from Washington is actually "Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth."

Nashums
11-06-2012, 02:53 PM
it that we have is correct (poxy 85 could just be a franglaise translation error) I also happened to come across, after much searching, the original Culper ring's common code list, now for the first ring it doesn't make any sense however maybe the other rings it will? I don't get much free time so haven't tried myself but here's the link if anyone wants to give it a go.

http://aphdigital.org/projects/culperspyring/items/show/36

It has original listing of the two and three digit codes used by Washington and the Culper's.

tuur29
11-06-2012, 04:09 PM
@Nashums I have tried the culper ring already. Didn't work. The problem is that the culper ring code is ordered alphabetically and most of the numbers in the message are pretty small, so most words start with an A if you try that code.
Here is the full post: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/721594-George-Washington-s-Notebook-(Shouldn-t-be-Spoilers)?p=8673370&viewfull=1#post8673370

Nashums
11-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Ah ok, I see what you mean...
As always I blame the French! Haha.

Has anyone thought about the other images in the book? Particularly the map, the snake and the battle formation? On the map a location is marked, now maybe thats just to go with the event in the book but can we find these marked spots/images in game that may reveal clues?

Meykota
11-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Since yesterday we are trying to get a solution of the safron text. We thought the numbers mean the letters in the text, but we got no sence out of these option. Today I found the code for the Freedom-text, but the rest of the text didn't work with these solution. I watched the second circle and some of the numbers look like dates. For example this one "16 - 09 - 60", so in German we have "16.09.60", but when I checked the date with google, I just found some Birthdays and nothing what is really helpfull.
The numbers out of the inner circle are the same in every language, just the inner circle is different. Maybe there is no espacially information in the outer circles?

I have to apologize for my English, but I am German :D

tuur29
11-06-2012, 06:50 PM
That is interesting! I have looked for other pictures and these are pictures of the french version:
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/515567photo1.jpg
http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/654209photo3.jpg

It is true! All the numbers on the outer circles are the same in all languages. This can only mean 2 things: or there isn't a solution at all OR the numbers represent something international like dates, coordinates or something different. Can anyone add to this list?

Meykota
11-06-2012, 08:01 PM
I checked some numbers at google maps, but couldn't see any sence. Sometimes it seems to be some coordinates in China, but it's seldom.
I uploaded the German version of the texts.

http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=dsc_0237ptqlo.jpg
http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=dsc_0238ubpeh.jpg

Very interesting is the fakt, that the combination "12 - 01 - 91" in German means "12. January 91". When I'm searching in google in combination with Freimaurer (freemason) I found the information that America desided at 12. January 1991 to attack Iraque again. (http://genosse-todesrochen.beepworld.de/verschworenegemeinde.htm)

VampireMagician
11-07-2012, 05:52 AM
I haven't taken a look at them yet. But has anybody considered the mason letters you find in the underground to solve the lantern riddles??

tuur29
11-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about. Please explain this?

VampireMagician
11-07-2012, 05:38 PM
I think that the mason symbol on the bottom of the page has some significance. The 1 thing I've noticed is the mason lore pops up in those letters from the game. I'm going to take a look at it today to see if there is a connection.

Skullduggery336
11-08-2012, 12:37 AM
I've been racking my brain on this code all night and day today, I've had almost no luck but I have had some luck reversing some of the numbers but I have yet to actually get anything out of it.

Just noticed that the capital J in June (i.e. This bulb grows is June) is not how it should be made. Not sure if it means anything yet

MKD_Archangel
11-08-2012, 09:48 AM
I have another theory to help with the solving of the message. In the text Washington says that he meets a british man who teaches him how to deliver coded messages. In real life did Washington meet a british man who turned on his own nation to teach him this? Did this person invent a type of coded message? I ran a google search and the closest I could find with the date period the message was written was that he met a french general who alied with him at the masonic ranch. so I dont think it was him

rakonaton
11-08-2012, 10:01 PM
@tuur29 : i got demand by seperating the "ands" and commas , i think i came to 8 or 9 sentences by using that technique

rakonaton
11-08-2012, 10:08 PM
maybe the mason picture with stiches i think in it is like the movie wanted each stich is assossiated wif a letter

BiggusRichus
11-09-2012, 09:49 AM
I think most of the other items on the 3 code pages are there as a distraction. Ie the mason symbol and graphic. (i spent some time playing with a mirror and the design on the saffron page, as well as trying to line it up with the symmetrical symbol on the side of page 11) The one thing I noticed was that the bookmark/letter opener included with SOME versions of the game have symbols, designs (similar to the previously mentioned mark on page 11) and arrows on them that seem to imply it is used to align some of the numbers in the code wheel. Can anyone confirm this or perhaps include an actual size scan of the bookmark? I did not get one in my NA Limited Edition unfortunately. I'm not certain why some editions had this item excluded as I've managed to convince myself that it is at the very least helpful with regards to solving the code.

Skullduggery336
11-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Could it be possible that the outer lines of code are just there to discourage anyone trying to crack it? Just jibberish.

Poltergeist5 NL
11-09-2012, 07:32 PM
That's also a possibility since the numbers in the outer lines are the same in every language, so who knows. The strange thing is that the numbers in the inner circle are different except for 85 and 413 so that might be a translation error, I compared it with the french edition on the link in this thread, but I hope it's not a translation error because that would be stupid and my french isn't good at all.

Skullduggery336
11-10-2012, 05:16 PM
I would think Ubisoft would be smarter than to let such a simple mistake happen.

Omni Bligh
11-10-2012, 05:55 PM
My dad is a mason from England and he said he is going to use multiple forms of coding on this and see if he can come up with anything. I will post if something comes up.

Poltergeist5 NL
11-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm sorry to tell you this but don't let your dad go through all that trouble, because it's useless. It clearly says in the book that the saffron text is enough it doesn't say anything about masons.

legendshooter201
11-12-2012, 01:55 PM
I found this. that might help in some way: http://ideone.com/vIB8SV
The way the numbers are placed might mean something to the code.

kashacz802
11-12-2012, 03:28 PM
In the circle are some arrows, and this arrows are similar as two arrows on the orrange bookmark with AC symbol...but I donť know how work with it...maybe we shuld cut the space between two arrows on the bookmark and than put it somehow on the circle...sry for my bad english

The_Shinigamer
11-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Even then, I didn't get a bookmark in my edition and it still says the saffron text is enough but I'm at a dead-end on my part.

uniqplay
11-15-2012, 07:54 PM
guys i am 90% sure that there is invisible ink in those pages but i am really afraid that i will ruin my pages if i try methods like heating up the pages....

tuur29
11-15-2012, 08:05 PM
There could be, as it was used very often at that time. But what makes you say 90%?
I'm not really sure that they would go trough all the trouble for that, because I don't think there are presses that print invisible ink.
But I want to try it if you don't. Could you give me a reason to do so?

uniqplay
11-15-2012, 08:13 PM
well there isnt any clue on the notebook but while searchin on sites about George W. in every thread/topic about coded messages they are always mentioning the invisible ink...

tuur29
11-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Hmm, well that is true. I'll try it for you, I understand you don't want to risk it. I screwed up with cutting the pages, so I guess it doesn't really matter anymore.
I'll try UV light and heat tomorrow (I don't have it with me at this moment). I'll be sure to post an update!
Is there anything else I should try while i'm at it?

uniqplay
11-15-2012, 08:21 PM
i am not thinking of anything else right now but i am about of spending a lot of time with these codes so we are going to discuss things about it.......

p.s. i hope that when we find out what the whole thing is ...is going to be worth it

tuur29
11-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Ok
Yeah I hope that too, It would be a shame if it was similar to the inner circle (quote from Washington).

tuur29
11-16-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm sorry to disappoint you but I watched every page of it under UV light and put the book inside my radiator for an hour, but nothing showed up.

uniqplay
11-17-2012, 10:02 AM
awww too bad :(( well that make things harded

Eziolala
11-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I was surprised when I discovered these hidden pages (though I did accidently rip out a page thinking it needed to be 'opened' when it didn't...whoops) but this code is driving me insane. Curious to know what it means.

B0SS MuLe COw
11-17-2012, 11:29 PM
im sitting down and doing a long code breaking session if anyone really wants to help you can skype me and we could try and do it together but i figure its best to start from the top of the wheel the number 45 recurs a lot so in theory 45 should be a simple word like "the" or "a" etc.. i am wondering if any of the numbers have any historical connection to either the Knights Templar, or maybe the Knights Hospitallier and other templar orders such as the teutons. Also if there is any connection to the Amercian war Of independence probably wont get anything important but interesting none the less. message back if u find anything i dont or for skype contact

YooRee Assis
11-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Following "English method" the German numbers say:

"Freiheit ist eine Pflanze die schnell wachst Sobald sie Wurzeln geschlagen bat"

English version:

"Freedom is a plant that grows quickly asked Once they put down roots" < - Sorry by that, I used Google translate, my German is zero.

But again, you see the word 'root' on it, so it means Ubisoft has made a mistake putting 85.

Following "English method" the french numbers say:

"La liberté est une plante qui croít vite une fois qu'ellle a pris racine"

English version:

"Freedom is a plant that grows quickly once took root qu'ellle" < - My bad, I'm still using Google translate - :D

Once again, 'root' is seen. It takes us to a final conclusion, 85 = root

So... "Freedom is as plant that grows quickly once it has taken much 'root' for"

However, what a bout the other rings? :confused:

Meykota
11-21-2012, 12:39 PM
Okay, guys, that's enough. I am going to ask my friend Karl. He is working at Ubisoft Singapoore, if the message outside the inner line has a sence :) I'll inform you if I am getting something...

Hotelsdevil
11-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Hey guys, I've read the thread, and I've seen a lot of trial and error, but just a thought, for those into this.
if the numbers all mean words, and the 3 digit numbers you can't find don't work, maybe it's a letter they mean?
its just a thought I'm gonna start getting into this now too since I've just realized today that's there's a secret hidden code. Actually, what if within the codes there's like.. DLC and a DLC code within for bonus content to game?????

Elebro2011
11-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Any news from you? I couldn't realize what to do with the code..

Elebro2011
11-24-2012, 11:01 PM
sorry for double..

ZephyrStrife
11-24-2012, 11:34 PM
This cipher doesn't make any sense. Why would the pattern randomly change in the middle of the sequence. There is no way to get "root" from 85.

Elebro2011
11-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Look what i've got. () means - could be.

Freedom is a plant that grows quickly. Once it (root) has (been seper,ated) taken much, a flower was executed (plant). root produces

Strange, but i cant get it other way. what do you think?

v3nd3tta1512
11-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Hello, I too noticed this and I deciphered the inner circle with the help of a french forum post (http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/1-28123-604500-1-0-1-0-codes-secrets-du-journal-de-washington.htm).

Each number in the circle corresponds with 2 things: the first number is the line and the second (and third in some cases) is the word.

So the number 414 means "Freedom" (it's the 14th word on the fourth line). When u use this key you get:
"Freedom is a plant that grows quickly once it has taken much ___ for.
I suspect the ___ should be "root" but the number is 85 (which doesn't correspond with any word). According to the french forum post this is correct.

I do not have a key to decipher the other 3 circles, but i am trying!

For people that don't have the notebook, I found the photo's on the internet.
Text about saffran: http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mctsv9BOpd1qj2gsbo5_1280.jpg
Coded message: http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mctsv9BOpd1qj2gsbo1_1280.jpg

The inner circle is easy with this hint.
The numbers are different depending on the language of the book.
But the outer circles have the same numbers. The English version in the pictures has the same outer circles as my German version.
So I think that these codes can't be solved with the text about saffron. There has to be a universal "non-language depending" solution.

so long

Swiftblade_89
11-27-2012, 12:13 AM
I got 'Freedom is a plant that grows quickly, once it has taken much BY for.
The way i got 'by' from 85 is by counting the first five lines, then the top 3 again to make 8 lines, then the fifth word of the third line is 'by'.
In conclusion i think the message is intended to be 'Freedom is a plant that grows quickly, once it has taken much by force'.
It just seems logical that 'for' would be changed to 'force' at the end.
I think the quote may have something to do with the templars' 'freedoms' infringing upon the 'freedom' of american citizens.

Go1den Mean
11-27-2012, 09:53 PM
I got 'Freedom is a plant that grows quickly, once it has taken much BY for.
The way i got 'by' from 85 is by counting the first five lines, then the top 3 again to make 8 lines, then the fifth word of the third line is 'by'.
In conclusion i think the message is intended to be 'Freedom is a plant that grows quickly, once it has taken much by force'.
It just seems logical that 'for' would be changed to 'force' at the end.
I think the quote may have something to do with the templars' 'freedoms' infringing upon the 'freedom' of american citizens.

This is possible, however taken by "force" would seem to be in contradiction of the French translation. There is also the problem that had the sender wished for the recipient to read the message as saying by force, they could have simply written the Saffron text to include the word "Force" instead of "for".
So perhaps looking at things from a different angle might be in order, from the Saffron text.
"This bulb grows in June" code deciphers to "Freedom is a PLANT that grows quickly". The Declaration of Independance for the 13 states was drawn up in June, the Declaration of Independance was also used to solve a pre game release of a video, through the hacked history website.
Maybe, maybe not.

Go1den Mean
11-27-2012, 09:58 PM
The inner circle is easy with this hint.
The numbers are different depending on the language of the book.
But the outer circles have the same numbers. The English version in the pictures has the same outer circles as my German version.
So I think that these codes can't be solved with the text about saffron. There has to be a universal "non-language depending" solution.

That would be math or geometry then.

The_Shinigamer
11-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Earlier, in the first chronological entry, Washington states he is fascinated by the power of numbers. He talks about his love of geometry, trigonomotry, and algorithms. I`ve based my main approach to deciphering the code using math equations on the rings of numbers. Previously I had been applying results to the Saffron text but seeing this as an international thing, I believe I`ll attempt to correllate these to some kind of dating system. Perhaps it represents key moments in the war, or his life, or maybe I`m gonna get more 12/21/12 junk...

CatulloMario
12-03-2012, 06:39 PM
In the German version of the book the inner circle obtain: Freiheit ist eine Pflanze die schnell wächst sobald sie Wurzeln geschlagen hat. So it seems that the english version has a mistake.

maybe the other rings are just there to kidden us. A clue for this is that numbers in the inner circle are alll written in a very sharp way.. but the outside numbers are printed weak. Another theory is that the outside circle was the only circle than with mathematic and so on the second circle was created with this the third and finally the inner circle is there... But the didn't translated them because they said... hey to much effort... so only in the original language the outside circle makes sense....

Another thing that fell in my eyes is that the picture in the page before has a cicle in it wich suit between the first two circles....

Go1den Mean
12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Hey CatulloMario I would be grateful if you could post a link to the german pages of the Saffron text and the number wheel, if thats possible?

With regards the ink on the inner wheel being stronger, I shall explain why this is. I have a physical copy of the Journal and also the PDF, the PDF can be found floating around the interwebs. Having the PDF allowed me to see how the book was constructed and why the ink is stronger only in the inner circle.

The book was initialy laid out with the images only, as these images are universal to all the languages the book is availible in. The outer wheels of the code circle were also laid out at this stage as an image, because these number's do not change according to the language of the book.
Then text was added to the book according to the language being used. Because the inner wheel is dependant upon the language of the book this was also added as a text and not an image. Because text was used it was not possible to use image manipulation, such as photoshop to produce a faded look on the text.

I personaly dont agree with your comment that the outer wheels do not have a purpose. Maybe we just presumed they are the next step in solving the code and have not fully investigated some of the many other possabilities?

"Another thing that fell in my eyes is that the picture in the page before has a cicle in it wich suit between the first two circles...."

I am not sure what you are saying here, could you confirm your thoughts for me please? Are you saying we could use page 12 as a mask / overlay for page 13?

I would also be interested to know if anyone is still giving this code any attention? Give us a shout if you are

CKBLord
12-03-2012, 11:24 PM
First. Ihave tryied a lot of difference solution and give it a lot of attention
Second. Maybe the cipher wheel technique on the outer circels and the inner circle is the key, haven't tested this one out yet, but an idea.
Or since it's an outer circle the "first" line goes down one, so on the second circle it's the second line about saffron who represent the first line e.g 28 is "a"
Third. Does anyone understand the 0 like in 09 or 60 I believe it might be -1 to the corresponding line/word e.g 09=-19=59
Well that's all I got

Go1den Mean
12-04-2012, 12:03 AM
First. Ihave tryied a lot of difference solution and give it a lot of attention
Second. Maybe the cipher wheel technique on the outer circels and the inner circle is the key, haven't tested this one out yet, but an idea.
Or since it's an outer circle the "first" line goes down one, so on the second circle it's the second line about saffron who represent the first line e.g 28 is "a"
Third. Does anyone understand the 0 like in 09 or 60 I believe it might be -1 to the corresponding line/word e.g 09=-19=59
Well that's all I got

I have played around with ideas like this myself, sometimes they can be infuriating. My personal opinion is that the journal is designed to play on our presumtions, making an educated guess or having a bias towards one path over another is perfectly normal. However to solve this riddle, I think we will have to be aware of our own bias in the descision making process to be able to come at this problem with a fresh view.

Some questions I asked myself.

Are we solving the right code?

Why are the outer circles the same in all language versions?

Can we use geometry and math to gain further insight as to the nature of this code.?

Were there any hints given about the nature of the code while playing the game?

I might well be imposing my own bias on anyone reading this, so if you have any insights of your own; please post them. We will probably learn more and go further by sharing ideas.

Sidizen
12-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Just ask Ubisoft what it means if that is even possible :D

tuur29
12-04-2012, 11:19 AM
Shout!, so yes I still check this thread every day. Although I have given up trying to find the solution for now. I will try once more when someone gives me a good idea.

@Go1den_Mean Please look at page 5, you'll find the German and French versions.

Before posting your ideas or questions, please check if someone hasn't answered it already.
(I'm not talking to you specifically, but this is already the third time someone got an idea / question that was already covered and when I see such a post I get my hopes up again).

@Sidizen Yeah that would be great, but I don't think it will happen. Meykota said he was going to ask someone he knew at Ubisoft Singapore, but no word from him after that.

I hope we'll find this answer someday! :D

Go1den Mean
12-04-2012, 09:50 PM
Oh hey tuur29, thanks for your reply. Yeh I check this thread daily as well, inspiration goes a long way :)

Ahh thanks for pointing me back to page 5, I must have read the entire thread at least three times and I didn’t even notice that post, butI am glad you pointed it out to me as I noticed something I would like to share.
On the German page the block of floral scrolls are in adifferent place compared to the English and French version, so I took a closer look and noticed that the pattern was symmetrical but one side is longer than the other.

http://i47.tinypic.com/106yqef.jpg

So the left side is 48mm long and the right side is 54mmlong. I don’t know if this has any relevance at all but I thought it might be worth mentioning. There is also a dot on one side that is not shown on theother side.

On page 1o there is a compass and square, associated with Masons and other crafts. I have never seen this with a pentagram in the centre before. Does anyone know what this means, I searched but have not found anything yet.

http://i46.tinypic.com/2vhwvmq.jpg

Finally, why is this page here, I tried using it as a mask on the code wheel but the image does not line up, even in photoshop. Maybe there is some way we can fill in the basket weave portion of the image.

http://i45.tinypic.com/29crtvr.jpg

yosayoran
12-07-2012, 08:11 AM
i dont know if it will help anything but, I've measured some things in the pages and i found that the space between the compass legs is the same length as the radius of the second outer circle 5cm.

by the way, i used the English version of the notebook (UK).

cIaudio504
12-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Has anyone noticed there are two small circles on the bookmark with arrows above them maybe you need to like line up numbers or something rather than progressing in a circle for the outer circles hence why they're separated by hyphens? And maybe the outer circles are separated by by hyphens cause they're letters? And what about numbers with zero's?

yosayoran
12-10-2012, 01:40 PM
i thought of another solution, maybe the first number in the outer circles tells you in wich page to look in.
so i went to page 30 and discovered that pages 30-31 are hidden pages too!!!

so i kept looking and found out that pages 54-55 are hidden, and that 62-63 are hidden as-well!!!

that might help someone, i couldn't use the method i thought of.

Potus87th
12-12-2012, 10:26 PM
There was bound to be a thread like this long live google, allow me to shed my light here on this matter :). I read through the whole 10 pages so far and must say had a good laugh tbh :)
specially the guy that was certain there was invisible inc in the journal.
Let me begin by saying i solved the code on my own, *brags* i'm pretty good with numbers and code breaking stuff, the only thing that bugged me the whole time was the number 85 it doesn't make sense so i was curious to see what google had to offer me :) was glad to see others also found it.

I will start with saying i am 100% sure there is a mistake in the English version of the journal, namely the number 85 which would normally translate to the word "root"
We all know by now that the the solution to the inner circle is a quote from GW himself namely "freedom is a plant that grows quickly once it has taken much root for"

if you look at the inner circles numbers, in French, German and English (i did not take a look at other language versions) they are not the same we all know that by now.

for example the french text http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/515567photo1.jpg
the code is 45 , 67 , 51 , 65 , 17 , 77 , 25 , 212 , 65 , 411 ,412 , 413 , 85 , 55

We can follow the code perfect here (4th line 5th word, 6th line 7th word, etc...)
as a result;
45 67 51 65 17 77 25 212 65 411 412 413 85 55
la liberté est une plante qui croit vite une fois qui elle pris racine

i know my french this makes a good sentence and translates to the quote from washington

if we follow the same rule on the german version http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=dsc_0237ptqlo.jpg again i know my german this is a good sentence and translates to the quote from washington
74 15 31 17 22 37 29 21 54 26 27 79
Freiheit ist eine pflanze die schnell wächst sobald sie wurzeln geschlagen hat

only with the english version we stumble on the number 85 the key doesn't work here all the way, and i don't see a way to get to root with the number 85 so makes me think they just made a mistake here... untill ubisoft claims something else i'm staying with my 100% certainty that they made a mistake root should be 39 according to the key and nothing else period

414 14 56 16 510 23 211 37 410 310 17 413 85 412
freedom is a plant that grows quickly once it has taken much root for

Now for the outer circle sorry to spoil the code breaking party but these are just here as part of the decor they are all the same in every version in every language...
if we follow some logic and ask ourself

-if it is really a message or a code? wouldn't the makers then adjust the numbers for each different language version?
-If it is a message it still says we need to use the text about saffron,
-this would imply that a key/ method has to be used like the inner circle
-since all versions tell the same story but words are arranged differently in other languages as everybody knows... so any key that is used would be useless in an other language version of the journal. or this would imply that another key would have to be used for each diffirent language version? seems unlikely
-implying that it is maybe a universal message in one language is nonsense because (look at the point above)
-implying that you have to search further in the book is nonsense because (look at the point 2 the saffron text) and again (point 4)

which brings me to the conclusion that this is just part of the decor same with the all seeing eye it is not a mask to overlay or something like, the bookmarker is a papercutter and has nothing to do with the code it is all part of the decoration of the book.

as for the other sticked together pages
allow me again to shed my light on this.
George Washington's notebook revealing all the truth & secrets about the Assassins and the Templars during the American Revolution

there are things washington can't talk about in a public way thus they are writen down on "secret" pages
he doens't talk on any of the 'normal pages' about connor or templars or freemasons with the only exception on the intro last paragraph and next to the drawing of the delaware it is all part of the mythology of the games storyline.
all the rest throughout the journal he talks about the things we know from history class. only on the secret pages his life differs from the real life of george washington

for example page 62 - 63 he talks about the stars and stipes and then he talks about the coup d'etat and that some of his officers want to make him king. another evil plot by the templars and a clue to the upcomming DLC?

page 54 - 55 washington talks about an encounter with an indian in the forest who moves with ease and almost soundless.. we all know he encounters our assassin here connor.

page 30-31 strange things happening at bunker hill again our assassin connor

sorry for the field of text but sometimes you really don't have to search to far ;) some common sense is al you need ;)

tuur29
12-13-2012, 10:58 AM
I also think they made a mistake with the number 85.

Your point about the outer circles being decor makes sense and I see this as one of the solutions, but I wouldn't write it off completly, as you forgot one uniform piece of the book, namely the images.
I think it is also still possible these could be dates/times or something else.

Go1den Mean
12-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Well in for a penny, in for a pound :o

@Potus2008 I appreciate you do not believe there is any more to the code, which is an opinion you are entitled to hold, yet I am left a little confused. You googled for a thread regarding this cipher, was this to see if there was more that you had not found yourself or just to make sure that we were enlightened as to the truth of the situation?

The only quote I could find from George Washington, whichbears a similarity to the deciphered text is shown below.

“Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapidgrowth.”

GEORGE WASHINGTON

So the Devs that created this book and cipher chose not to use GW's exact words, I wonder why?

Myself, I would choose to look a little further into these thing, I have some faith, that the people who created this book are at least capable of proof reading. I guess in the end we have to make our own descisions, right?

Potus87th
12-14-2012, 06:57 PM
@tuur29

When you say the images. Do you mean the all-seeing eye? I really don't think it has something to do with it. The square and compass are part of the symbology of the freemasons same with the all-seeing eye.
Hell if you really wanna take some sort of clue from it look at it like this. The all-seeing eye is in the middle maybe it is telling us where the to look in the numbered circles?

@ Go1den Mean

I googled it indeed to verify my conclusions regarding the number 85. and off course to verify my findings of the quote, i was not sure however about the outer circles i admit that. And did not even start trying to find a way to decipher it. my main reason was to verify the 85. what i googled for was "George Washington's journal code assassins creed 3" and i got on another ubi forum thread where tuur 29 says we are working on it, a link, click, and i got here :) and started reading. Straight of the bat i see the same conclusion made by tuur 29 regarding 85.
the thread says shouldn't be spoilers so i kept reading.

finding the pictures of the other language versions of the journal was helpful as i know French and German. And the code/ Key worked there all the way,
so my conclusion of the number 85 became even more obvious (for myself personally) that the designers must have made a mistake. + when noticing that all the numbers on the outer circles are the same in every language i came to my conclusion that it must be part of the decor. (again for myself personally)

you are correct about the quote it is from a letter he wrote to James Maddison link (http://teachingamericanhistory.org/library/index.asp?document=377)
so yeah the question you ask is legit but i have my opinion on it.

it is the translation. in French you could translate the 'coded' sentence to the actual quote of GW. (the correct one) in fact thats how the french actually translate it... i myself even translate it like that to french.
Google that sentence around ( if you don't take my word for it :) )you will see dozens if not all, of the french sites you will find, that they use that sentence and refer to it as a quote from GW.

So this makes me think the book was made in french and then translated to english and german. combined with the text about saffron you get other results in other languages
in german the quote would be translated otherwise namely
(Freiheit hat sie einmal Wurzeln geschlagen ist eine Pflanze die sehr schnell wächst)

at least that is how i would translate the original quote.
and again google that sentence (if you don't take my word for it :) ) and you will see that germans sites use the correct quote but in the journal it is different because they could not make the correct sentence.
Why? because of the translation
same case again for the english version
but again due to translation screw ups you wind up with a different quote in english and german

blame the french :rolleyes:

CASPER2CRASH
12-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Just ask Ubisoft what it means if that is even possible :D

I have already asked Ubisoft, but they replied that it was a problem of my own and that i should try the forums instead.

im3jia
12-14-2012, 09:05 PM
I am probably asking too much, but can someone please list what pages need to be cut?

Potus87th
12-14-2012, 10:12 PM
page 10-13 (cut)

page 23-22 (fold out)

page 30-31 (cut)

page 42-43 (fold out)
page 47-46 (fold out)

page 54-55 (cut)

page 62-63 (cut)

im3jia
12-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Thanks Potus2008 :)

alfdib
12-19-2012, 12:45 AM
I think they made some hidden meaning in the 3 outer circle.
IMHO the numbers are referring to letters... but anyhow there seems to be a logic as some numbers a recurring with some frequency.
This is what i've found out:

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/918/gwcipher.jpg

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/918/gwcipher.jpg

from all this I'd say that some letters have more then 1 numbers and probably some numbers are the SPACE and may be commas ( and/or point).

Go1den Mean
12-19-2012, 03:30 AM
Great work alfdib, Thats some initiative right there, I hadnt even thought to look at the frequency of the numbers. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Something I did notice that might tie in here is the number 94. There are exactly 94 lines between the inner and outer circles. I will look a little further into this and post back if I can see anything else.

kamikaze386
12-19-2012, 06:49 AM
Hey guys, I'm glad to see that some good people are working on this.
I don't know much about code cracking myself, but I think I have something that could help!

Take another look on page 10...
Washington describes how he was taught about a method of code where:
It required placing a mark over a seemingly innocuous letter to make the real message appear

He then go's onto mentioning the saffron.

Why would Ubisoft have mentioned placing a mark if all you need to solve the puzzle is the text on saffron?
It would just be a waste of time and ink.

Another thing to take away from this is, he could mean letter as in a message OR a letter as in alphabetical.

1. Perhaps number 85 is not an error, maybe it is supposed to deceive code crackers, and it needs to be 'Marked' somehow?

OR

2. Its a letter as in a message.
It is a code within a code (Can we go deeper?), the message that we get from the number wheel is in itself a code, therefore it is the innocuous letter.
Now we must mark it in order to reveal the true message, this is likely where the random *** pic of the Illumin'eye comes into play.

OR

3. Both of these are true, and both need to be used to solve the riddle.

I hope someone that knows how to solve codes finds this helpful, or is able to try it out.
Lets keep up the good work!

alfdib
12-22-2012, 01:06 AM
1. Perhaps number 85 is not an error, maybe it is supposed to deceive code crackers, and it needs to be 'Marked' somehow?

OR

2. Its a letter as in a message.
It is a code within a code (Can we go deeper?), the message that we get from the number wheel is in itself a code, therefore it is the innocuous letter.
Now we must mark it in order to reveal the true message, this is likely where the random *** pic of the Illumin'eye comes into play.

OR

3. Both of these are true, and both need to be used to solve the riddle.

IT'S An IDEA NOT TO DISCHARGE, BUT IF THIS WOULD BE THE CASE, WHY THIS ERROR IS ONLY IN THE ENGLISH VERSION AND NOT IN THE ITALIAN, FRENCH GERMAN?
(sorry for capital, i had the cap on...)
from this I would tend to say it's only a mistake...but I don't completely discharge your suggestion.

kamikaze386
12-22-2012, 05:15 AM
Again,
I had 2 possible explanations.
the theory about 85 could be wrong and 85 could be an error.

But I do remember someone on this forum saying they contacted Ubisoft about the number 85 and they said that it wasn't the number that was the error, simply the way he was trying to solve the puzzle.

However I really hope someone with knowledge of code cracking gives my second idea about the illumin-eye a try.
I mean, its the only thing so far that has attempted to explain it being there.

solarhalfbreed
12-22-2012, 12:22 PM
I just stumbled along this post, and thought i'd join in because I love puzzles, they're really fun ^ ^. I found a way of getting root using 85. Upside down it looks like 58 so I took it as that. Someone on here talked about seperating the sentences with the commas, fullstops and the ands, so I did that all while working though the text backwards. Root landed in the 5th separated area, so I counted 8 words going backwards and it was root. But I don't know, what do you guys think? Maybe i'm just making something up to suit the problem haha. I haven't really convinced myself with this :P
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g190/Major_Kusanagi/dunno_zpsdb166d16.jpg

Potus87th
12-22-2012, 06:39 PM
i stand with my theory that they just made a mistake with 85 in the English version. Due to translation errors from French.

@ kamikaze

the guy that said he contacted ubi: Look at post 101 from this thread
and one other that said he knew somebody from singapore ubisoft never replied back on this thread.

why would they want to deceive us and better again why only in English? The German and French version do not have the mistake,Like alfdib stated. It just doesn't really add up to me.

We have to keep in mind as a fundamental that this book is made to be universal for everyone over the entire world in their language.
hence the difference in numbers for the inner wheel
read page 10 i explain there my theory over the mistake regarding 85 and the entire quote that is actually wrong.

@solarhafbreed
Problem i have with that is pretty much the same as i state above why only in english this mistake and as an addition why the sudden change in the key to decyphering, again in the English version only.

@alfdib
Sigh i really don't believe there is something with the outer wheels but as i said before i haven't really looked at it, because of my personal thoughts stated on page 10 of this thread.

BUT. you are correct that there is some kind of sequence so i will look further into it. Maybe i was to quick to discard it although i do struggle with my main issue. Which is that it are all the same numbers in every language version... and other issues that i have stated on page 10 of this thread

nonetheless i have a german text a french and a english text i will start with some methods i know to see if i can find anything with the different language versions. .
I want to add though at a first glimps i do not think it refers to letters. Words seems more logic looking at this string. again at a first glimps..

I do want to add though that i do not believe in any matter that the all seeing eye has anything to do with decyphering the code(s)

Diyakinos
12-23-2012, 05:05 AM
I am so glad people are trying to decipher this. When I first got the book i wrote out all the possible ways to decode it on the back of my exam papers, which lead to me writing numbers and letters in a circle all over them. (My teachers were very confused.) Do you still need someone to scan the bookmark? Mine's accidentally asymmetrical and it doesnt really do much in helping the code, but i could if you think it would help.

It's probably not helpful but I was trying to find patterns in the code, and I noticed that the four rings look very similar to the painting puzzles from Assassins Creed Revelations. The puzzle involving rotating discs to make a picture align. Do you think possibly if you align the rings and transcribe numbers from the outer ring inwards, there might be a code? That might be a little to far fetch'd, but hey, it would definitely fool people trying to decrypt this monster of a code.

doradorica
01-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Guys, please don't give up on this! I remember that really big thread about clusters/glyphs from AC:Brotherhood where they solved some very challenging puzzles (like the one with the musical notes - wow, just wow) even when it seemed impossible and Ubisoft refused to help. :P Maybe we could have some of those guys look this up?

Right, first of all, I agree that 85 is probably a mistake. We've even had those in glyphs - the first thing that comes to mind is DARKNESSLOSTDNUMB - it's the translation of Morse code from one of the clusters, and you can see it has an extra letter in there. However, the French version didn't, it only had DARKNESSLOSTNUMB, so we can safely assume that the French do more proofreading ;)

Since the three outside circles are the same in every version of the book, maybe they refer to pictures or pages? Or if not, maybe they need to be rotated like Whiitey suggested! After all, they have those three little arrows >>> that might suggest the direction of rotation. Worth giving a shot in Photoshop.

As to the bookmark / letter opener, I've never even noticed the little arrows before! Really, they have the same design as the ones on the circle and they appear twice, on the tip and in the middle. Maybe it needs to be used to cover a part of the circle up? I took a few pictures, hopefully they can help. The bookmark has a metallic sheen to it, so there's a little bit of glare, but hopefully you can see the arrows.

http://i50.tinypic.com/vwrev4.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/x3weae.jpg

I tried to spin the thing around, but I'm as clueless as ever.

Diyakinos
01-05-2013, 03:13 AM
I had a try at rotating the discs, but as i thought, it doesn't really work. Also, even if it did reveal the correct method for the outer rings, then we'd still have to figure out how numbers with zeroes at the start and end, and higher than 5 work in the "Line-Word" method. Especially when if you do, you get the seemingly useless Latin 'Crocus Sativus' several times. I mean, how would ol' 'Georgie' use 'Crocus Sativus' in a letter coherently?

So i wrote out some of the outer ring across a page to attempt some decrypting styles. None so far successful. All I can be fairly sure of, is that the several arrows around the first ring in the centre uses a different method to those outside. I think.

http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o697/sjcw1/ACGWNotes1_zpse7b21d4a.png

Here's a bit of what i did. Sorry if the picture's a bit too big, i scanned it, haha.

SinNombres
01-07-2013, 09:37 PM
I think I may have found the answer. Is I'm right the outer cirkel is not to be decrypted.

I am checking tomorrow and will let you know if I was right

Diyakinos
01-09-2013, 01:20 AM
I think I may have found the answer. Is I'm right the outer cirkel is not to be decrypted.

I am checking tomorrow and will let you know if I was right

Uh, some explanation would be great? That's kinda vague, and since it's been a week and two days since you said that, I'm assuming you've given up or something.

tuur29
01-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Uh, some explanation would be great? That's kinda vague, and since it's been a week and two days since you said that, I'm assuming you've given up or something.
You are wrong, it has only been 2 days.

pacmanate
01-09-2013, 02:53 PM
This makes me feel bad, Havent even opened mine yet haha.

infamous_ezio
01-09-2013, 03:34 PM
This makes me feel bad, Havent even opened mine yet haha.

I opened it, but assumed some group of master minds on here would solve it, so i didn't even attempt it. However I read on reddit a while back that apparently some of it translates to "the chosen one lives"...

SinNombres
01-09-2013, 04:05 PM
My idea didn't work out and it was kinda stupid because it had no logic. Well sorry for the late post but I will still be looking at the notebook and If I really find anything I make sure to let you know.

tuur29
01-09-2013, 08:55 PM
I opened it, but assumed some group of master minds on here would solve it, so i didn't even attempt it. However I read on reddit a while back that apparently some of it translates to "the chosen one lives"...

I did a quick reddit search but didn't find anything, I suppose you can't give us a link?

pacmanate
01-09-2013, 09:39 PM

So Desmond is alive still? In some form, I guess. Which most a lot of us thought...

Diyakinos
01-09-2013, 11:46 PM
You are wrong, it has only been 2 days.

Haha, ****it, I always get messed up by the American MM/DD/YYYY instead of DD/MM/YY.

infamous_ezio
01-10-2013, 07:39 AM
So Desmond is alive still? In some form, I guess. Which most a lot of us thought...

Well, this was said by a guy on reddit, so it could be complete crap, I can't find the link though :'(

doradorica
01-15-2013, 10:30 PM
However I read on reddit a while back that apparently some of it translates to "the chosen one lives"...

I googled and found that comment too, but there's no clarification on where the decoded message came from.

andreG1ant
01-16-2013, 05:35 AM
I did some 'solving' (if you'd like to call it that) on the second wheel: ''A great plant___. I got 'great' from the number 354 on the second wheel using the numbers: 3- third wheel, 5-fifth number on third wheel and 4 happens to be the number the 5th number starts with: 48; now go back to the article about saffron- fourth line, 8th word: great. It's not much, and chances are it is probably just coincidence.

P.S. Something about the whole cipher is that it seems to reference the number 6 e.g. on the last circle of numbers there is the number 654, I happened to reference the book and on page 8 the entry takes place in June (hence 6) 1754. Also on the second row, there is 09, 07, 06; 07 is the third number away from 09 and six is 9-3 and when you add the numbers together you get 22 (here I am babbling random stuff ( Hope you dont mind the long read either)

TheGreatFreak
01-26-2013, 11:44 PM
Guys i got the iner circle!

"Freedom is a plant that grows quickly once it has taken much preparations for."

Preparations is the only logical word that would fit in this,excluding root but i saw some of you trying to finish with this so i just tried all of the words given and got this.

gunnar1212
02-01-2013, 09:28 PM
@ tuur29, The fourth line of what??

tuur29
02-02-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm sorry but I cannot find the post that you are reffering to. Could you give me its number?
I think 4th line would be the fourth line in the text about saffrom, but i cat be sure untill i know what post.

Mac9753
02-09-2013, 12:49 AM
Could it possibly be that you only use the numbers with three numbers

tuur29
02-09-2013, 12:42 PM
This idea was discussed a few months ago, there are links to the french version somewhere at the beginning of this thread.
Good luck!

EDIT: Umm please remove this post, I think I replied to a post from a few months ago. LOL

Andorian
02-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone, I'm trying to decode this message too, but still didn't success in it (I'm speaking about the outer circles, the inner one I managed to solve, excluding 85 - I'm sure it's an error). Did someone advanced in solving? All I found is what do 3-digit numbers used for. George Washington used 3-digit number to encode the whole words. You can read about it here (http://historyday.crf-usa.org/1816/revolutionary.html) and here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_in_the_American_Revolutionary_War#Cod es_and_ciphers).

UPD: Forget about links I posted. I've read the Washington's diary again and there is important thing:
For example, this text about saffron is enough to decyfer the coded message on the next page.

P.S. Maybe someone will try to ask UbiGabe on twitter about it (I don't use twitter, so I can't contact him)?

tuur29
02-09-2013, 06:24 PM
That's a good idea! Let's all tweet him so he'll notice for sure!
I'll tweet him right now (and include a link to this thread). Not sure he will say something about it tough.

poptartz20
02-11-2013, 10:22 AM
wait... how do I get to this part in the game??

tuur29
02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
This isn't about a part of the game. Washingston's Notebook is a real-life book that came with the special editions of ACIII (very similar to the Codex that came with AC Brotherhood, which I also have ;))

PjotrSpot
02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Sorry that I'm late to the party.

I have spent a while trying to crack the code, and currently, this is the most logical explanation for me:

1. The only line that can be solved by the 'Saffron text' is the one in the middle. This is pointed out not only by the ring of arrows around it, but it you fold the previous page (the one with the all-seeing eye, the circle around the eye will fall exactly on the second inner ring, thus 'blocking it' from the eye's view; the eye can only see the ring in the middle.

1a. But why include the other rings? "They're just there to throw you off" or "They're just there for decoration" seems like rubbish to me, if the previous AC puzzles have shown us anything it's the every little detail is tremendously important. I'm guessing that they are either relevant to another puzzle, or they hold some significance in terms of dates or coordinates.

1b. Note also that the numbers outside the inner ring are seperated by hyphens, not comma's, unlike the outer ring. Note the reccurance of '65' and '28' in the two middle rings and '654' in the outer ring. '65' and '28' bring a problem, though. Line 2, word 8 is 'a'. But the sixth word (6) of the fifth line (5) is also 'a', that certainly seems likely to be a recurring word, but it would mean you'd have to invert the order of line-and-number every so often - that seems like a very odd way to go about things - but neither word works the other way around, there are no 6th or 8th lines.

1c. Then there's something else I noticed: All three outer rings have numbers which include a 0. Obviously, anything with a zeo cannot be solved by the means we have used before, so I'm certain there is a trick to solving each ring, and these rings involve a different cypher, which makes a lot of sense considering the history of code-cracking; using the same cypher for every code is like not encypting your message at all. Then, aside from the zeros, there are these numbers.

Outer ring: 654 (twice) and 456
Inner ring: 354
There seems to me to be something to this combination of fours and fives, but I can't put my finger on it. 45 and 65 and by far the most frequent numbers. If we use my earlier method of inverting the line and word number (because there is no 6th line), we get the words "demand' and 'a'. If we count the 1st line as the 6th line, we get 'a' both times.

---

2. I believe however, that Ubisoft's puzzle makers simply made a mistake in translation in regards to the inner line (happened before in one of the Revelations puzzles, where the English version did not match the French and Portuguese versions) and thus made the puzzle unsolvable. Thus, we get the rather Google Translate-esque line of "Freedom is a plant that grows quickly once taken much root for", a skewering of George Washington's "Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth." The similarities between these two phrases cannot be ignored.

2a. What discredits my thoughts that there was a mistake in translation, though, is that appearantly the numbers are the same in at least the German, French and English versions. Do the texts match up to the numbers every time? That means they must have written the Saffron text around the puzzle, rather than form a coherent text and write the puzzle from there (that's what I would do...wouldn't you?) - so maybe the numbers are more significant than we think?

Sorry if I was a little verbose, just wanted to be as clear as possible for both native and non-native speakers.

Hope there's still people trying to solve this, spent far too many time writing this, otherwise!

tuur29
02-23-2013, 08:51 PM
I agree with 1a,1b, 2 and 2a.
But as I said before, I've given up on this a long time ago. I still check the thread hoping someone finds it.
Maybe (very very unlikeky) the new DLC's contain a clue?

Also, I got no reply from UbiGabe

kyubi160
03-04-2013, 02:08 AM
Meaby it isn't only about noumber, meaby they are conectect with the iner circle (from this arow-like drowing betwn iner and outer circle).
Also did you notice: in iner circle there is coma after each number, in outer circle its - betwen them

rakonaton
03-17-2013, 12:32 AM
did anyone figure out this?

dungeonfan
03-19-2013, 07:44 AM
could it have something to do with the maya calander?

DOMINIK963
04-03-2013, 10:22 AM
What do you mean with, for example number "09"?

xywenx00
05-19-2013, 01:07 PM
The 3 code lines outside of the inner circle are useless, the english and german version have the exact same numbers only the inner code is different. In the german version there are the numbers 14,15,31,17,22,37,29,21,54,26,27 and 79 if the first number is the line and the second is the word then the sentence is: Sativus ist eine Pflanze die schnell wächst sobald sie Wurzeln geschlagen hat (Sativus is a plant that grows fast when it ______( dont know the english words)). The sentence does make sence but it doesnt fit with the english version. In the english version the first word is Freedome (I think).

xywenx00
05-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Can anyone post the french sentence? Maybe the french and german sentence fits. The german sentence kinda sounds lame. :/

xywenx00
05-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Oh and I think the other pages you can cut open are "fake" pages, just some story because the 2. 3. and 4. Ring is the same as in the english version, and the english and german textes are different, so there is no way the 3 rings are used for the other hidden pages.

ben9616
05-31-2013, 07:06 PM
HI everyone. I am italian and i have the diary in italian. I just discovered that the traslation of the text of Crocus Sativus in italy corresponds for the number in the center. I decifrate and i got the "Freedom is a plant that grows quickly once it has taken much" text without the problem of number because in italian it has 7 lines. But i saw the extern number are the same. Tell me if you already discover this, maybe i am exciting fot nothing. :)

Acheron-12
06-07-2013, 10:20 AM
The ring of lines that sepperate the centre line of code from the outer lines look a lot like arrows pointing inward. I'm pretty sure the outer lines are just random numbers.

pacmanate
06-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Is it bad that I haven't even opened mine?

Aphex_Tim
06-07-2013, 01:53 PM

Yes.

Farlander1991
06-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Wait, so let me get this straight...

It's been like 8 months since the game and the journal was released, and nobody has managed to figure the whole thing out yet? O_o

Ureh
06-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Rearranging the letters I was able to decipher the last message. Sufficed to say that it is irrelevant: "It is without shame that I proclaim the following, I loved cutting my father's cherry tree. If I could, I'd do it all over again."

tuur29
06-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Could you please provide more detial as to how exactly what and how you rearranged it?
I am dying to know how you did it

palmersiagna
08-14-2013, 11:54 AM
I think I'm onto something, instead of using the paragraph about the plant as a source for the words, I'm using the actual diary entry on page 10. It's proving to be quite an interesting piece of secret

adventurewomen
08-14-2013, 12:30 PM
No, you just want to keep yours new. :)

dungeonfan
11-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Have anyone tried to take a light/candle behind it.
There may be secret messages.
Like in liberation.
(Sorry for bad writing)...