PDA

View Full Version : An AC veterans thoughts on Assasins Creed III (NO SPOILERS)

Vagrant42791
10-31-2012, 08:43 PM
I've been playing this series since seeing the trailer for the very first game. I've been a fan since and have played every console released game.

AC II and Brotherhood took this series to a different level entirely

Revelations for me was a bit of a disapointment.

I finished the game last night and my verdict?

Assassins Creed III is the best Assassins Creed game that has ever been released
..and one of the best games I've ever played.

Thats not a title I give out lightly and this isn't another fanboy fueled: "THIS GAEM RAWKS BRO GO BUYYY ITT!!" schpeal

I AM NOT REVIEWING MULTIPLAYER, I haven't had a chance to thoroughly go through it and don't want to give an opinion on something I haven't fully explored and experienced. (Unlike most of the gaming population nowadays it seems)

Without furthur ado, here is my take on it. There are no plot spoilers although I do mention some additional features that were already announced and promoted in various commercials and articles for this game.

The story in it's presentation, it's perfect balance of simplicity and complexity, and it's writing is one of the best stories to be told in any video game.
The character development is phenomenal, Almost each significant character you come into contact with is relatable, entertaining, and has a knack for distinguishing themselves from the other characters you come across on your journey through AC3. I found myself genuinely concerned as to what the fate of these people would be. And of course Assasins creed's take on american history is a blast to be a part of. Without spoiling anything, lets just say you take part in quite a few VERY significant moments of the american revolution. To read about these in History books or watch reenactments on the History channel is one thing, to live them is quite another entirely.

The added features of the game (hunting, naval battle, tree running etc.) have significant depth to them but ubisoft doesn't force the gamer to rely on these things to consistently progress through the storyline. You have the choice to incorporate them into your gameplay (for the most part). They're also surprisingly fun... I'm not what you'd call, the "Naval Battle sim type of guy" but I had a blast waging wars and navigating my crew across the ocean.

The graphics are phenomenal... The TV I played through isn't even HD and I was blown away by the stunning visual masterpieces this game has to offer. The change of seasons was something I initially didn't pay much mind to when they announced it, but wow was it a brilliant idea. The contrast in weather, season, and time of day is so impressive you almost feel like your playing in seperate maps with each change. There are a few graphical hiccups along the way in minor areas that need to be patched, but I don't think anyone can say the graphics in this game are anything short of mindblowing. (Que the trolls)

The movement and combat, (after taking a significant step backwards in the last game imo), is the best it has ever been. Combat, Free running, climbing etc. all feels as smooth as ever, While combat difficulty isn't incredibly unforgiving, you will not breeze through hordes of enemies just countering with hidden blades any more either. It's balanced enough for a new player to not feel overwhelmed and a veteran to enjoy and apreciate as well without it feeling redundant.

Things do get glitchy at times, there are a few hiccups in AI, horse riding, and some visual stuff but this is fixable. Yes Ubi should have ironed these things out a tad better before putting it out... But you can patch stuff like this... Theres no patch for an uncompelling story or low entertainment value... Luckily Assassins Creed III will never need one.

There are side missions out the ***..... All different types from collect em's to combat, to naval missions.. Ubisoft wasn't ********ting when they said this was the biggest AC game of all time, the maps are huge and there are plenty of things to find throughout them. It's like having a bunch of additional games inside a game. (Yo Dawg, I heard you like games....)

The ending of this game is going to draw criticism...... but not from me.... AC has gained hordes of popularity over the last few years and with more fans........ Comes more opinions....... I think the whole story, ending included fits appropriately with the AC story as a whole and I was left both intrigued and satisfied after the ending. Please don't argue with me in the comments and post spoilers, let people enjoy the **** game.

Like I said. It's the best game in the Assasins Creed franchise, It's one of the best games i've ever played and it's sure to please diehard fans as well as draw in even more with it's epic story and originality that is AC3

GOTY so far in my book (lol.. You're move Halo 4)

Thanks for reading and enjoy the game, I sure as hell did

-Vagrant

Mr_Shade
10-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for your feed back - can I ask you also post in the following?

Single player gameplay feed back: NO SPOILERS!!
Assassin's Creed 3: Single Player Gameplay Feedback [DO NOT POST SPOILERS] (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/720979-Assassin-s-Creed-3-Single-Player-Gameplay-Feedback-DO-NOT-POST-SPOILERS)

Single player bugs? Please again report directly to Support and use this Thread.
Assassin's Creed 3 Single Player Bugs & Issues Thread *Possible Spoilers* (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/720981)

Multiplayer bugs? Please again report directly to Support and use this Thread.
Assassin's Creed 3: Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Thread (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/720983)

For Multiplayer feedback such as game modes, perks, etc, please post here-
Assassin's Creed 3 Multiplayer Gameplay Feedback Thread *Possible-Spoilers* (http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/720984)

Radman500
10-31-2012, 08:46 PM
i would agree that it is a better game then AC2.... but i liked AC2, better.... kinda weird i know but....

the ending for AC3 kind of takes a great game and makes it mediocre

FirestarLuva
10-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Your's is one of the best reviews I've ever read. You should consider working for IGN, Gamespot or any other popular game site, as they need these kinds of reviewers like yourself. IGN's reviews have become cheap, fanboyish. They completely disgusted me with their review on AC3 and that's probably the last review I'll ever read from them. One of the things that pissed me off was them saying that
Connor isn't as straightforwardly charming as Assassin's Creed II's Ezio, and although writing is excellent for the most part, you never warm to Assassin’s Creed III’s heroes nor grow to resent its villains in quite the same way. LOL! But wait, there's a better one from another site saying Ezio is better because Conor is grumpy is and needs to smile more and be more happy. Most stupid thing I've read this year. On what weed are they?
But either way, you have my respect with this awesome review man, in my opinion reviews from fans of AC like you a million times more worth than those on the gaming sites. Pity they go unnoticed. :/

Vagrant42791
10-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Your's is one of the best reviews I've ever read. You should consider working for IGN, Gamespot or any other popular game site, as they need these kinds of reviewers like yourself. IGN's reviews have become cheap, fanboyish. They completely disgusted me with their review on AC3 and that's probably the last review I'll ever read from them. One of the things that pissed me off was them saying that
Connor isn't as straightforwardly charming as Assassin's Creed II's Ezio, and although writing is excellent for the most part, you never warm to Assassin’s Creed III’s heroes nor grow to resent its villains in quite the same way. LOL! But wait, there's a better one from another site saying Ezio is better because Conor is grumpy is and needs to smile more and be more happy. Most stupid thing I've read this year. On what weed are they?
But either way, you have my respect with this awesome review man, in my opinion reviews from fans of AC like you a million times more worth than those on the gaming sites. Pity they go unnoticed. :/

Thank you very much bro. I agree It kind of seems like alot of writers have an agenda to promote when they write some of these reviews and it can make them inconsistent and unreliable. This was the first game I wrote an in depth review for. I knew after finishing AC3 that I owed it to the game to do one. I'm glad you enjoyed the review and I might start doing a few more in the future =)

Kaschra
10-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Nice review!
I haven't finished the game, but so far I only heard bad things about the ending, so it's good to see a positive review about it.

HisShadowX
10-31-2012, 10:31 PM
I think this game adds many great features but sadly with a very slow start, bad controls and broken map I feel the story has took a step back.

AC2 did so much right. It gave us a breath taking story from start to finish to where once you picked up the game you know you had to finish. This game you start, and then it drags on...and on. The story is okay and the open world is great but the pace of the game and the revamped controls are worse then what it was. . .

I doubt this game as is will get a couple sequels like AC2 when I feel this game took a couple steps back on important things such as controls, story pacing and again the horrible broken map to have manually select everything. Like AC1 the series will move on and hopefully they will keep in things that worked in AC3 and of course bring back things that worked in AC2. Why get rid of change something when it works?

Like I said I doubt this game will will spawn sequels unless the staff becomes insane like Bioware and loses there grasp on reality and put out things they want rather then the customer.

TiaraBlade
11-01-2012, 01:12 AM
I am glad that others are enjoying since I really hate the game at the moment.

The crappy lockpicking

The slow start

The crappy lockpicking

The changed controls

The crappy lockpicking

The lack of the exotic that the other cities had

The crappy lockpicking.

Seriously, the moron who came up with the lock picking mini games needs to be fired; it is unneccesarily tedious, difficult (**** thing is even timed), and hurts my wrists after multiple attempts. Honestly, I will not buy any DLC for this game until they fix that stupid mechanic.

I hope it gets better but a few hours in, it just sucks. AC2 and AC Brotherhood are still the two best in the series; AC3 had better pick it up ASAP.

Black_Widow9
11-01-2012, 01:14 AM

The crappy lockpicking

The slow start

The crappy lockpicking

The changed controls

The crappy lockpicking

The crappy lockpicking.

Seriously, the moron who came up with the lock picking mini games needs to be fired; it is unneccesarily tedious, difficult (**** thing is even timed), and hurts my wrists after multiple attempts. Honestly, I will not buy any DLC for this game until they fix that stupid mechanic.

I hope it gets better but a few hours in, it just sucks. AC2 and AC Brotherhood are still the two best in the series; AC3 had better pick it up ASAP.
Hello and welcome to the Forums
Please take a moment to look at the rules. Your posts need to be constructive and without insults.

silvermercy
11-01-2012, 01:24 AM
I for once enjoyed the slow start (that's the pace I like), had good fun with the lockpicking mechanism and found the controls extremely refreshing and easy to learn. Also, since I come from an area very close to all those AC2 locations I find AC3 more... "exotic". So yeah... XD Best game so far!

Different strokes for different folks I guess...

ProdiGurl
11-01-2012, 02:25 AM
Thank God for this review! I'm about sick & tired of whiney stuff about piddly issues - ignoring the amazing stuff (from what I've read & seen in clips) to focus on the little ant that we didn't see cross a road.
I'm close to finishing Sequence 2 and it's really starting to take on the AC vibe I was waiting to feel. I'm on that learning curve & coming into the missions now and I'm LOVING IT.

I'll still be honest, I don't know if any game can out-do my love for ACB & Ezio (what I felt in Rome and that soundtrack was beyond anything I've ever played), but the AC brand is so unique & kool that nothing compares to any AC game they put out. I can't wait to play more tomorrow and give my input as soon as I get further.

Ps. Is anyone petting the animals? lol Those sheep in Seq. 2 were too adorable - I wonder if that comes in handy later on?

RorySkywalker
10-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Assassin's Creed 1 was a classic experience.
You were a badass assassin in the Holyland
Desmond sequences were badass
ACII Even better
AC BROTHERHOOD I liked the add on of missions for your brotherhood of assassin's, great story
AC REVELATIONS Ezio and Sofia=AWKWARD No romance just 'nerd talk'
ACIII biggest let down. I liked the theme of American Revolution, they didn't delve into the actual revolution enough and the story was confusing and it ended with a thud:confused:

roostersrule2
10-11-2013, 12:03 PM
I thought it was ****.

swordxslash
10-11-2013, 03:50 PM
ACIII biggest let down. I liked the theme of American Revolution, they didn't delve into the actual revolution enough and the story
what? what? what? WHAT WHAAAAAT WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

pirate1802
10-11-2013, 03:55 PM
LOL yeah, I thought they delved into the revolution a little too much, so much so that it was to the detriment of the overall story. But apparently even that isn't enough for some people. :p

swordxslash
10-11-2013, 03:58 PM
LOL yeah, I thought they delved into the revolution a little too much, so much so that it was to the detriment of the overall story. But apparently even that isn't enough for some people. :p

Not to mention how they totally botched up the gameplay for some events and added others that had NO business being in an action-stealth game.

Revere's midnight ride? Signing of the declaration of Independence? what is this? Looney Tunes? I appreciate the historical value, but this isn't "American Revolution: the game" this should've AT LEAST been "Assassins Creed the game: featuring the American Revolution" I would've been fine with that honestly

pirate1802
10-11-2013, 05:08 PM
Not to mention how they totally botched up the gameplay for some events and added others that had NO business being in an action-stealth game.

Revere's midnight ride? Signing of the declaration of Independence? what is this? Looney Tunes? I appreciate the historical value, but this isn't "American Revolution: the game" this should've AT LEAST been "Assassins Creed the game: featuring the American Revolution" I would've been fine with that honestly

Oh gawd, don't remind me. That was ****ing horrible. I was like.. wtf is he doing there??

silvermercy
10-11-2013, 05:13 PM
I don't understand... Why is it bad that Connor had to be present in the signing of the declaration of Independence??? It's historical fiction (plus Templars are supposed to have rewritten history books in the AC universe). Also, how else would they show that very important scene if he was not present????

killzab
10-11-2013, 05:17 PM
I don't understand... Why is it bad that Connor had to be present in the signing of the declaration of Independence??? It's historical fiction (plus Templars are supposed to have rewritten history books in the AC universe). Also, how else would they show that very important scene if he was not present????

They didn't have to SHOW it.

silvermercy
10-11-2013, 05:19 PM
They didn't have to SHOW it.
Why NOT? It's one of the most important events in American history. And the game focused on the American revolution. It makes sense to show it! So I'm glad they did.

killzab
10-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Why NOT? It's one of the most important events in American history. And the game focused on the American revolution. It makes sense to show it! So I'm glad they did.

That's the main issue with the story. Too much focus on the CONTEXT and not the characters themselves.

silvermercy
10-11-2013, 05:26 PM
That's the main issue with the story. Too much focus on the CONTEXT and not the characters themselves.
I agree that I'd prefer some more character development. Totally. But I don't think they could avoid showing certain important scenes. I think the problem was mostly with the pacing instead (huge Haytham section, even though I still liked him) rather than the context.

pirate1802
10-11-2013, 05:42 PM

Because Connor had little to no reason to be there, It felt very forced in, just like the Revere ride.

Sturnz0r
10-11-2013, 06:58 PM

The slow start
The changed controls
The crappy lockpicking
The crappy lockpicking.

i think you are a bit biased against lockpicking.. maybe you should have waited on the chests until you liberated the zones, haha

Controls were fine to me

The start was slow, indeed, but i think the loading times and unlively cinematic scenes with the templar crew didn't help. If you are the kind of gamer that picks a night of the week to pull an allnighter, then this intro will be very boring, but if you break it up; it aint no thing.

in re: exotic cities, i think the point of a game in the american revolution is that it wasn't exotic in colonial america. They MORE THAN made up for not going to another sunny middle eastern/ mediteranean city with the cycling weather environments. American Revolution was a great choice; risky, different and high degree of dificulty

Great Review; I also think this was the best AC to date; but because it was slow with two protagonists' intro sequences and the buggy horse close to trees and rock formations, et al, it is faux pas to praise this game

Great story that takes a closer look to the grey area of morality between Assassinos and Templar agents. Modern Templars seemed power-hungrilly controlling, as per tradition

TheDanteEX
10-11-2013, 08:08 PM
The fact that Paul Revere didn't ride his own horse was enough for me to realize the whole thing was pretty silly. Most of these events are the equivalent of Photoshopping Connor into pictures from the American Revolution. And a Native that nobody but a few knew being at the signing of the Declaration is sort of a big deal when trying to take a story seriously. It makes me a little sad because Connor actually has a really nice tragic story. He tries to play the hero but he gets burned. I just wish the meat that story was actually credible to me. Maybe even making it more obvious that the men he was helping were taking the credit away from him. But it never feels that way. Maybe if Washington told Connor that he wouldn't be able to accommodate him because of how the people would react to a Native winning his battles. Or Connor demanding he be kept out of the picture to make his job as an assassin more discreet. But he's literally running in the middle of battle, killing important figures in front of hundreds of people, and captaining one of the most feared vessels in the sea.

SixKeys
10-11-2013, 08:52 PM
The fact that Paul Revere didn't ride his own horse was enough for me to realize the whole thing was pretty silly. Most of these events are the equivalent of Photoshopping Connor into pictures from the American Revolution. And a Native that nobody but a few knew being at the signing of the Declaration is sort of a big deal when trying to take a story seriously. It makes me a little sad because Connor actually has a really nice tragic story. He tries to play the hero but he gets burned. I just wish the meat that story was actually credible to me. Maybe even making it more obvious that the men he was helping were taking the credit away from him. But it never feels that way. Maybe if Washington told Connor that he wouldn't be able to accommodate him because of how the people would react to a Native winning his battles. Or Connor demanding he be kept out of the picture to make his job as an assassin more discreet. But he's literally running in the middle of battle, killing important figures in front of hundreds of people, and captaining one of the most feared vessels in the sea.

What deflated the whole Washington betraying Connor angle for me was that Connor kept fighting for the Patriots and doing Washington's bidding even after he found out the truth. It should have been the ultimate reveal: Connor and Washington become friends only for Connor to find out at the very end he's been working with the man who was responsible for his mother's death and the destruction of his village (and ultimately his people). But that reveal came too soon before the end when Connor still had a lot of errands to run. He never seemed properly angry at Washington, they even played games together after the reveal.

BATISTABUS
10-11-2013, 09:45 PM
So much necormancy lately.

As for the current discussion, I'll just say that the Paul Revere bit made my friend stop playing AC3 entirely. He hasn't picked it up since.

I personally think it was a funny idea, and would've been better reserved for an animated short or something along those lines.

Black_Widow9
10-12-2013, 04:23 AM
Assassin's Creed 1 was a classic experience.
You were a badass assassin in the Holyland
Desmond sequences were badass
ACII Even better
AC BROTHERHOOD I liked the add on of missions for your brotherhood of assassin's, great story
AC REVELATIONS Ezio and Sofia=AWKWARD No romance just 'nerd talk'
ACIII biggest let down. I liked the theme of American Revolution, they didn't delve into the actual revolution enough and the story was confusing and it ended with a thud:confused:
Hello and welcome to the Forum :D
Please use the Feedback threads listed here under the Feedback section-
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/662626

Thanks

Locking this necro post.