PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on igns review score?

BraxtonNelson
10-31-2012, 06:46 AM
Rubbish should be a 9.5-10. Other assassins Creed games got better scores then this and this ones the best one yet by far... What a joke.
http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/10/30/assassins-creed-iii-review

Krayus Korianis
10-31-2012, 06:49 AM
IGN gets paid by people to post that rubbish.

Assassin_M
10-31-2012, 06:49 AM
We`re just gonna have to live with it..

It sucks that a game like GTA IV gets a 10 and AC III gets an 8.5

sticks165
10-31-2012, 06:52 AM
don't worry about is G4tv gave it a 5/5 stars.

Krayus Korianis
10-31-2012, 06:54 AM
don't worry about is G4tv gave it a 5/5 stars.
I give AC 3 10/10.

MasterRaynor
10-31-2012, 06:59 AM
Guess IGN's ACR score? also 8.5

Assassin_M
10-31-2012, 07:02 AM
Guess IGN's ACR score? also 8.5
So AC III and ACR are on the same level ?? Nice to know that IGN is ******ed..

IGN is ******ed, Guys..

SplasH-PuLs3z
10-31-2012, 07:06 AM
Honnestly its deserved my game has so much screen tear It's almost unplayable....

Assassin_M
10-31-2012, 07:10 AM
Honnestly its deserved my game has so much screen tear It's almost unplayable....
Hey, you got a crappy game..

Tough luck

SplasH-PuLs3z
10-31-2012, 07:15 AM
Hey, you got a crappy game..

Tough luck
I would love to give it a 10 cuz I am 1 hour in and love almost*everything about but a game that ships and has issue like I have doesn't deserve that

Assassin_M
10-31-2012, 07:20 AM
I would love to give it a 10 cuz I am 1 hour in and love almost*everything about but a game that ships and has issue like I have doesn't deserve that
of course you don't.. No one deserves that..

I wouldn't want major screen tearing in my game either, mate..

SplasH-PuLs3z
10-31-2012, 07:24 AM
of course you don't.. No one deserves that..

I wouldn't want major screen tearing in my game either, mate..
Reviews are kinda overrated anyway has they are opinion , as long as they are generally good, you know you did great . But you can't just say tough luck...This game as been in development for 3 years and i get that...

It's pretty dissapointing

Krayus Korianis
10-31-2012, 07:29 AM
We don't need to read your butchering of the English language either... But we have to live with it.

SplasH-PuLs3z
10-31-2012, 07:32 AM
We don't need to read your butchering of the English language either... But we have to live with it.

What does my writing have to do with the subject ? First, English isn't even my first language and second the fact is the game i have in hand as a stupid amount of screen tearing so i agree with a lower review....

Krayus Korianis
10-31-2012, 07:38 AM
What does my writing have to do with the subject ? First, English isn't even my first language and second the fact is the game i have in hand as a stupid amount of screen tearing so i agree with a lower review....
It just might be the PS3 doing it. Never know.

Has everything to do with it. Everything is of relevance. If you cannot get across a clear and concise thought, you won't get the answers you seek.
I*, has*, I*.

You really don't know what screen tearing is. Ever play a game on a PC with V-Sync turned off and when you go turn the camera it takes a while to catch up with the image? That'd be tearing. I've never seen it at all in any AC Game. Sure some FPS drops when there's a ton of stuff on the screen, but nothing like what YOU are going on about.

Each AC game has their V-Sync turned off. Because the games are capped on FPS.

kriegerdesgottes
10-31-2012, 07:44 AM
I'm at sequence 6 now and I have to say there are things about it that annoy the crap out of me but there are so many things that impress the crap out of me that I almost don't know how to feel. The game is amazing without a doubt but they did some stuff with the controls in particular that I'm not a fan of. The story so far is downright amazing. It makes ACII's story look like a joke and that story was great too. I didn't like the combat much at first but now that I'm getting good at it and I'm starting to get used to it, I really like it more and more. I think 8.5 is a little low for a game like this. It deserves at least a 9

omniqix
10-31-2012, 08:21 AM
I would have given it 9.5

odovoro
10-31-2012, 08:32 AM
meh a review is just a review
besides i have played the game for like 10 hours and didn't experienced even one bug... luckey me *beams*

SplasH-PuLs3z
10-31-2012, 12:37 PM

Has everything to do with it. Everything is of relevance. If you cannot get across a clear and concise thought, you won't get the answers you seek.
I*, has*, I*.

You really don't know what screen tearing is. Ever play a game on a PC with V-Sync turned off and when you go turn the camera it takes a while to catch up with the image? That'd be tearing. I've never seen it at all in any AC Game. Sure some FPS drops when there's a ton of stuff on the screen, but nothing like what YOU are going on about.

Well the same thing happened in revelation but it was never that bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLNmlaHELiA&feature=g-upl

Call it what you want to call it can ruin your experience.

natek_morzy
10-31-2012, 12:51 PM
You have to understand. We're players, they're professional game reviewers. They look at it from a professional point of view, we look at it from whatever we see as a customer and what people tell us about the game. I myself have read the review and I don't mind the low score because there are a few things I don't like about this game and I think Ubisoft could have done better, but I'm just a player.

Let me give you an example. A few days ago I read about the Medal of Honor: Warfighter review by IGN. Horrible game, what a disapointment. Now just yesterday my little brother claims how awesome it is after hearing about it from his friends. Yes I understand that his friends are 15-17 years old but the point is we look at games with a different prespective then our honored game reviewers do.

Morzy <3

hyatari
10-31-2012, 01:16 PM

I*, has*,

His point was extremely obvious and pretty well made. I'd suggest you only made that comment because your inner fanboy can't accept any type of criticism for AC3. Pretty sad.

pickboy04
10-31-2012, 01:45 PM
8.5 is a great score. These reviews are opinions and people shouldn't base their decision on buying a game from ONE opinion. Why don't we focus on the scores other gaming websites/magazines gave AC3 (9, 9.5, 10) Even if IGN gave the game a 7, i would have still got the game because I've been a fan of the series. I enjoy playing AC games, and on my book this is the best in the series. People should know this by now, IGN is very inconsistent in their reviews.

FrankieSatt
10-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Just with the little bit that I've played I can already tell you that it doesn't get a 10. I will wait until I finish the game before giving a final score but I've already seen things that have reduced the score for me. I see nothing wrong with an 8.5, a great score.

AllThatJuice
10-31-2012, 01:57 PM
I thought it deserved a better score seeing as its probably the best AC so far. But hey, what can you do?..Besides I love the game so I couldnt care less about the reviews.

W-E-S-P
10-31-2012, 02:10 PM
I haven't had chance to play the game yet as i'm still waiting for it to come, but don't pay any attention to them. You can't spell ignorance without IGN.

Mad_Fox84
10-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Other review sites have given it as low as 7/10. That can't be right surely.

freddie_1897
10-31-2012, 02:17 PM
you know a game reviewers's ******ed if they gave MW3 a higher score

HisSpiritLives
10-31-2012, 02:19 PM
AC3 is soooo hated,i dont know why, it desrves 9.0 on first look!!!!!!! And i want to add:**** IGN ,GAMESPOT and all,, OTHERS,, who gave AC3 lower score than 9.

HisSpiritLives
10-31-2012, 02:20 PM
And they really think that Dishonored,withou offense is better than AC3,or ME3!!!!!!

maxerx180
10-31-2012, 02:27 PM
I already know they are going to give Black Ops II a 10 so I don't really care about there reviews.

bruise2010
10-31-2012, 02:38 PM
8.5 is a good score :)

http://forums.ubi.com/image.php?u=1341747&type=sigpic&dateline=1359432244

Assassin_M
10-31-2012, 02:39 PM
8.5 is a good score, stop whining.
Stop acting like an idiot...

maxerx180
10-31-2012, 02:51 PM
8.5 is a good score, stop whining.

Sure 8.5 is good but why have they never given one to a COD game?

EddieMendez
10-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Sucks for you, game is so SWeET

NinjaOnFire
10-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Sure 8.5 is good but why have they never given one to a COD game?

Money.

Glad to know people actually give a **** about game reviews.

AllThatJuice
10-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Without a doubt, I think a lot of these reviewers have never played a previous AC game in their life. Even then, when an AC game is referenced, its only AC2.

jjc000
10-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Well the same thing happened in revelation but it was never that bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLNmlaHELiA&feature=g-upl

Call it what you want to call it can ruin your experience.

I just replied to that video for the same reason I'm replying to you. That is not screen tearing if that is what you are experiencing. I just went through the same thing with my fat PS3. Those are graphics artifacts and they happen when a GPU is overclocked too much and/or becomes too hot. Your GPU is about to go out. I traded in my PS3 and got the AC3 bundle and now I have absolutely zero issues with artifacts. I got artifacts a lot on all of the other AC games when I did a playthrough before AC3 came out and I had previously never seen any when I played them before.

I would suggest you first backup all your save data and then do a reflow before your hardware refuses to turn back on or just go ahead and trade it in for a new one. I was just fortunate to see them before AC3 came out so I could take advantage of GameStop's 100% bonus trade in value and get AC3 for free in the bundle. I just wanted to let you know since you seem to be going through the same thing I did. Hopefully, if you're proactive, you won't lose any of your save data.

tarrero
10-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Lets see the good:

1 This game has WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more side quests and replay value than any other AC, heck even freeroaming is more enjoyable.
2 The platforming levels feel more carefully done, and thus, better. at least to me.
3 Connorīs story has pretty cool plot twists.
4 The missions vary from classical stealth/combat to HUGE "epic" warfare stuff, and LOVE that.
5 Graphics are improved.

The not so good:
1 Although Desmondīs quest is better than before, I had higher expectations.
2 Gameīs main story could be a little bit longer, if you take into account the "building" part of it.

The "ugly"
The "cosmetic plot twist" though hehe, hope it can be glitched.

Therefore, this game deserves at least a 9, I would give it a 9.5 still.

SplasH-PuLs3z
10-31-2012, 07:41 PM
I just replied to that video for the same reason I'm replying to you. That is not screen tearing if that is what you are experiencing. I just went through the same thing with my fat PS3. Those are graphics artifacts and they happen when a GPU is overclocked too much and/or becomes too hot. Your GPU is about to go out. I traded in my PS3 and got the AC3 bundle and now I have absolutely zero issues with artifacts. I got artifacts a lot on all of the other AC games when I did a playthrough before AC3 came out and I had previously never seen any when I played them before.

I would suggest you first backup all your save data and then do a reflow before your hardware refuses to turn back on or just go ahead and trade it in for a new one. I was just fortunate to see them before AC3 came out so I could take advantage of GameStop's 100% bonus trade in value and get AC3 for free in the bundle. I just wanted to let you know since you seem to be going through the same thing I did. Hopefully, if you're proactive, you won't lose any of your save data.

Ok i see but it's only happening on AC3. I will try the game on my brother's ps3 he as a slim.

Also what is a reflow, is it like rebooting the console ?

coxiewoo123
10-31-2012, 08:27 PM
All that screen tearing is due to your console being old and worn out (probably the GPU). You'll probably need a new console.

Mr_Shade
10-31-2012, 08:39 PM
Ok i see but it's only happening on AC3. I will try the game on my brother's ps3 he as a slim.

Hi there.

Just to confirm what has already been said - that is not screen tearing - that looks alike a visible line 'cutting' the image -happens in fast moving games sometimes - and looks like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Tearing_(simulated).jpg/797px-Tearing_(simulated).jpg

Your video looks like a Graphic's Processing Unit [graphics card] error - which can be caused by many factors - but it looks like it's hardware issue rather than game issue.

I say looks - since I have never seen the game do that before..

AC3 is a very graphically intensive game - so could be pushing the console very hard - so maybe why you are seeing it.

You should contact Sony support to be 100% sure though.

Vagrant42791
10-31-2012, 08:49 PM
I think a fair number of critics in music, gaming, movies... you name it. Like to be extremely picky with established series, bands etc. A differentiating opinion will garner more views, and people will talk about it more.

So there are gonna be a fair number of "Well yeah it's cool but...." type reviews.

I just finished it last night
Check out my review on it on the forum.

scooper121s
10-31-2012, 09:09 PM
well I would give it a 20/10 :p

SplasH-PuLs3z
10-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Hi there.

Just to confirm what has already been said - that is not screen tearing - that looks alike a visible line 'cutting' the image -happens in fast moving games sometimes - and looks like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Tearing_(simulated).jpg/797px-Tearing_(simulated).jpg

Your video looks like a Graphic's Processing Unit [graphics card] error - which can be caused by many factors - but it looks like it's hardware issue rather than game issue.

I say looks - since I have never seen the game do that before..

AC3 is a very graphically intensive game - so could be pushing the console very hard - so maybe why you are seeing it.

You should contact Sony support to be 100% sure though.

Yeh that seems to be the major idea people agree on....

Been fearing that for a while now, my ps3 being baught a couple weeks after release i knew it would start to worn out at some point, i taught it would happen with skyrim rather than ac3

:(

Mr_Shade
10-31-2012, 09:36 PM
Best to double check with sony though - before rushing out..

I have never seen that happen in the game before though.. so something is VERY wrong somewhere..

SplasH-PuLs3z
10-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Best to double check with sony though - before rushing out..

I have never seen that happen in the game before though.. so something is VERY wrong somewhere..

Yeh will do

jjc000
10-31-2012, 10:33 PM
Yeh that seems to be the major idea people agree on....

Been fearing that for a while now, my ps3 being baught a couple weeks after release i knew it would start to worn out at some point, i taught it would happen with skyrim rather than ac3

:(

FYI, I first noticed the artifacts on Skyrim. I then noticed them on all the AC games. In fact, when I played AC:B, the artifacts got so bad that I could barely make out what was happening gameplay-wise. You are seeing artifacts and they are due to your bad GPU. You can Google it if you want, but I would suggest getting all your data backed up ASAP. (Don't mean to further hijack the thread, but thought it warranted repeating.)

stingray10
10-31-2012, 10:44 PM
It deserves a 9/10 exactly, let's not pretend it doesn't have flaws. I have seen quite a few bugs and the combat is a little bit old in the sense that the counter button just basically solves everything and Connor is a little boring in comparison to Ezio on a side note.

Ares1011989
10-31-2012, 10:45 PM
4players.de gave 80 of 100 possible points.

Soulid_Snake
10-31-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm really surprised at the score, I've always found IGN a bit lenient, if anything, I thought it would have got a 9.5 if not a 10. Eurogamer is alot more brutal, than IGN, when it comes to reviewing, and it awarded AC3 a 9. IGN is prone to favoritism, it gave Skyrim a 9.5, and technically it was a catastrophe.

xXRyzonXx
10-31-2012, 11:12 PM
I haven't finished the game yet, but I LOVE IT! it's one the best games I have ever played, i don't understand some of these review scores... My only complaints are that the fps tends to drop in boston and new york, but once you get used to it, you don't really notice it too often.. Other then that it is an amazing game.. I love it.

TiaraBlade
11-01-2012, 01:15 AM
At a few hours in, it's not even earning that 8.5/10. Seriously, it's 7/10 if it's lucky and I forget how much my wrists are hurting from that stupid and far too hard lock picking mini game.

I hope it gets better and FAST!

Assassin_M
11-01-2012, 02:16 AM
At a few hours in, it's not even earning that 8.5/10. Seriously, it's 7/10 if it's lucky and I forget how much my wrists are hurting from that stupid and far too hard lock picking mini game.

I hope it gets better and FAST!
You`re just bad at the mini-game..

Its not broken, I`m doing it fine..

TiaraBlade
11-01-2012, 02:37 AM
God, this game just sucks. Most unresponsive AC game I haver ever played. Tried to play through a mission where I need to chase someone down on horseback.

Well, not only does it only sometimes register that I am holding down R1 (otherwise my horse just rears up) but it's also inconsistent on trying to use my pistol. to blow up barrels. Often is will not register. On top of THAT, you have very little leeway to let the guy get too far ahead.

Seriously, this game is just horrible right now. WTF was Ubisoft thinking?

TiaraBlade
11-01-2012, 02:40 AM
You`re just bad at the mini-game..

Its not broken, I`m doing it fine..

No, it's broken.

You have to hold both analogs just right at a very unforgiving angle and then tap the R1 button before a completely nonsensical timer runs out. One analog slips just a degree during this hammering and you get to start all over again (well, at least with the right analog).

It's stupid, it's broken just like the game is broken and you aren't winning any points with Ubisoft shilling for them.

I loved AC2, Brotherhood, and Revelations... this game is just a mockery.

Assassin_M
11-01-2012, 02:41 AM
No, it's broken.

You have to hold both analogs just right at a very unforgiving angle and then tap the R1 button before a completely nonsensical timer runs out. One analog slips just a degree during this hammering and you get to start all over again (well, at least with the right analog).

It's stupid, it's broken just like the game is broken and you aren't winning any points with Ubisoft shilling for them.

Like I said, I`m having no problem with it..

You`re just bad at it. Did that ever cross your mind ? (Oh No.. Ubisoft pays me to kiss their ***, you did not know that ?)

MasterRaynor
11-01-2012, 02:43 AM
No, it's broken.

So you are hating the game because of a mini-game in it?

Assassin_M
11-01-2012, 02:44 AM
So you are hating the game because of a mini-game in it?
No.. Its because he sucks at it..

Sorry, had to be said (If you`re gonna call me someone who gets paid to say things to further a company`s ego, then i`m gonna have to act like so)

DAFOC
11-01-2012, 03:11 AM
You guys this is rather immature come on....
So far I'm loving the game with the enviorment and so on. But I agree that minigame is the stupidest idea since the Desmond parts in Revelations. It doesn't work most of the time and is just pointless and the opposite of fun (even when it does work)
Oh and the occasional glitch.

Still so far I would have to give it a 9 or so. Haven't completed the story yet though.

Zrvan
11-01-2012, 04:18 AM
The score is bull. Meaningless numbers for people too lazy to read.

The actual review is pretty close to my feelings. AC3 is a lot of big ideas bungled in some small way enough to piss me off.

Whenever I sit down to play, I feel like I'm being kept from the AC game I paid for. First the start, where you're playing as not the main character, which goes on FOREVER, then you actually get the chance to play as Connor and you're stuck in that tutorial FOREVER. I was six hours in, the game's 33% done and now, NOW I have access to the sandbox.

The first part of the game is poorly handled. Normally I'm a proponent of hefty story, but I just wanted to hit so many characters in the face when they started to talk. I uttered the lethal words 'I don't care, stop talking!' too many times (more than zero) during the first third of the game. There're greater complaints, but I'll save that for later.

The game also isn't finished. The amount of bugs I've run into is staggering. I was once swimming across the bay and found Achilles' cane just floating in midair over the ocean, for some reason. Buttons will shut down randomly in combat or while stealthing. Climbing is frustratingly vague on how things are done. Screen tear. And I've never cursed loud enough to wake my roommate up before I met this game's checkpoint system. Also, I'd like to have some stern words with whoever decided the full synch reqs should appear AFTER I've failed them.

Also, particularly upsetting from my POV -- after all that talk about how the combat system is improved and more exciting and fluid, it's not. The best tactic is still wait-and-parry, though the commands are now 'tap block and then attack' rather than 'hold block and tap attack/other hand.'

The only bits of this game I can bring myself to care about are Desmond and the multiplayer. I can't wait to plow through the story to get to him, because Connor does not engage me at all. He keeps Mary Sueing his way through everything, and I find this frustrating.

But the multiplayer is sweet. I love screwing with roofers now. Now that everybody's got a gun, the game is significantly more fun.

monster_rambo
11-01-2012, 06:29 AM
8.5 is a good score but in comparison to other games like Crap of Duty, then yes, IGN, did mess up their review score. How did this game even end up with the same score as ACR & ACR anyways when it took 2.5 years to develop. IGN, Gamespot, Gametrailers,etc, etc,....none of these "gaming" websites are legitimate and are obviously bought off by Microsoft and Activision.

MetalCreed
11-01-2012, 06:53 AM
IGN is inconsistent with the scores. Watch Halo 4 and Black Ops II get like anything over 9

Assassin_M
11-01-2012, 06:59 AM
IGN is inconsistent with the scores. Watch Halo 4 and Black Ops II get like anything over 9
That was my point. I kept explaining on and on and on how its not the score that`s making me furious, but the context and yet people still sprout ignorant phrases like "Fanboy" and "kiss ***" ACR got the same score for God`s sake. GTA IV gets a 10 and ANY CoD gets a 10. Why ? Maybe because they`re better at shooters, just BANG BANG and no sophistication.

monster_rambo
11-01-2012, 07:03 AM
That was my point. I kept explaining on and on and on how its not the score that`s making me furious, but the context and yet people still sprout ignorant phrases like "Fanboy" and "kiss ***" ACR got the same score for God`s sake. GTA IV gets a 10 and ANY CoD gets a 10. Why ? Maybe because they`re better at shooters, just BANG BANG and no sophistication.

That is true but GTA4 wasn't a bad game. It just lost something "special" I should say in comparison to the past GTA games.

Assassin_M
11-01-2012, 07:16 AM
That is true but GTA4 wasn't a bad game. It just lost something "special" I should say in comparison to the past GTA games.
Its not bad, just not deserving a 10 compared to San Andreas..

pirate1802
11-01-2012, 07:19 AM
I give AC 3 10/10.

Finished it already? :O

boisie
11-01-2012, 01:55 PM
I seemed to remember they gave Skyrim a 9+ score and I must say I did enjoy it a lot at the beginning but the bad started overtaking the good even with new patches. AC3 should have been given a 9+ just because of the gameplay as a whole. No one has ever made a game like this and that is why it should have scored just that bit more.

evil9494
11-01-2012, 02:20 PM
It's not IGN only. There are gamespot 8.5 and 1up B- (for compare the new Most wanted is B (and it is ****)). The overall score of the 27 critics that have made their opinion is 85 (metascore). I'am a PC gamer and have not played the game yet. But I've read the reviews and there is always one big negative: slow beginning, not a very deep story like the previous "AC", and unfinished game with bugs, lags, 2min and a half loading screen... and many more. I am confused because UBI said that they are ready with the game at the end of February and they will only polish the game the next 4-5 months.

I'am a HUGE FAN and I am very disappointed of the lead reviewers score, but from what I read It's Ubi fault releasing a game that is not finished :confused:
Before release I knew that AC3 is gonna be GOTY, now I am not sure that it will win the action-adventure award.

CalgaryJay
11-01-2012, 02:45 PM
I just re-watched her review so I could pick her apart, but I actually agreed with most of what she said. If you forget the # she gives at the end and just listen to what she says, its actually mostly complimentary. Given that, I'm surprised she gave it just an 8.5, going off her comments you'd fully expect a 9+.

With that in mind, my question is, is there actually a set rubric they use to figure out the score? Or do they just sit back, close their eyes & think, "Hmm...this feels 8.5'ish to me". Because that's kind of how it seems, which is what results in the ridiculous, inconsistent scores IGN's notorious for giving games these days. Which is why no-one should really care.

CalgaryJay
11-01-2012, 02:53 PM
But I've read the reviews and there is always one big negative: slow beginning, not a very deep story like the previous "AC", and unfinished game with bugs, lags,2min and a half loading screen...

This HAS to be just a PS3 issue...I have 360 & even with that, have always found the load times painfully long sometimes in previous AC games. In 3, its BY FAR the fastest I've ever seen it, seriously never more than 3-4 seconds..if that even. Ironically (given the complaints), its one of the improvements I'm the most impressed about.

Haha I swear I'm not being an XBox fanboy, as I was a PS1 & 2 owner & will probably go back to PS4 (just some personal nitpicky reasons). But if that "which console should I play AC3 on" thread re-appears, its pretty clear 360 has won this in an absolute rout...weird, considering it was showcased on PS3.

pirate1802
11-01-2012, 03:05 PM
I just re-watched her review so I could pick her apart, but I actually agreed with most of what she said. If you forget the # she gives at the end and just listen to what she says, its actually mostly complimentary. Given that, I'm surprised she gave it just an 8.5, going off her comments you'd fully expect a 9+.

With that in mind, my question is, is there actually a set rubric they use to figure out the score? Or do they just sit back, close their eyes & think, "Hmm...this feels 8.5'ish to me". Because that's kind of how it seems, which is what results in the ridiculous, inconsistent scores IGN's notorious for giving games these days. Which is why no-one should really care.

I'd like to know this as well. Is there a fixed yardstick by which they award points or they just go with their hearts and give'em.

Also, IGN gave Halo 4 a 9.8.. Food for thought.

luckyto
11-01-2012, 03:08 PM
IGN is full of bull manure.

That review is ridiculous. It's so wrong, I don't even know where to begin. I'm only in the middle of Sequence6 and I can clearly tell that it's one of the biggest, most ambitious games ever produced with fantastic storytelling and gameplay.

And I am no fan boy. I'm highly critical of games, movies, anything. The single player is frikkin awesome, and that review was the worst tripe I've read in ages. IGN has just gotten worse and worse. You can give Grand Theft Auto a 98, but this game is an 85? That's utter garbage.I don't know why IGN gives free passes to Mario, Call of Duty, Halo or GTA. It's total bull. AC3 is the best AC yet by every measure. God of War 3 is an 85, and this game is a 93 easy.

I can only think of two games that have ever been produced better or in the same league: RDR and Arkham City. Perhaps Infamous 2 but I haven't played enough. What utter tripe.

pirate1802
11-01-2012, 03:24 PM
But its not just IGN, most sites are idling around that 8.5-mark.

silvermercy
11-01-2012, 03:36 PM
How is 8.5 a low score?? Agreed though, it should be higher.

pirate1802
11-01-2012, 03:41 PM
How is 8.5 a low score?? Agreed though, it should be higher.

Compared to what they hand out to other mediocre games I'd say that pretty low..

luckyto
11-01-2012, 03:45 PM

It's ludicrous though. I'm one of the biggest and most vocal critics of Brotherhood and Revelations; and this game is so much better than all of them. Hell, it is even better than my AC1, and for me, that is saying something.

The only few downsides I've seen: bad pop-in and the occasional glitch (things floating mid-air). With a game this ambitious, I mean, that's totally understandable. Red Dead had them too, but AC3 is getting marked for it. A game like Uncharted is totally linear and has a tiny fraction of the gameplay space, of course it should look perfect. Arkham City was a completely dark environment, which is a million times easier to render, so of course it looked good. AC3, technically, is an achievement on a massive scale. The one unforgivable mistake is too many loading screens --- there were far too many unnecessary loading screens. Many could have been streamlined and cut out. It deserves a mark for that, but that's it. The one and only downside. Critics are being very very unfair.

I'm not worried. And neither should Ubisoft be. Word of mouth is more powerful than reviews anyways.

im3jia
11-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Gamespot gave Liberations a 6.5.
http://www.gamespot.com/assassins-creed-iii-liberation/reviews/assassins-creed-iii-liberation-review-6399285/

Crazy_Vantage
11-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Waaaaahhhh they didn't like the game as much as I did, clearly they're being paid off.

~All of your comments

silvermercy
11-01-2012, 04:01 PM
Reviews won't make much difference, if at all. I remember buying my first AC game with similar reviews. That was before I was a fan. Because for a non-fan an 8.5 is considered a high score. Non-fans don't need 9s and 10s and usually they don't pay attention to comparisons either. If they like the story they'll buy it. And yes, word of mouth will be louder than reviews. Besides, with so many pre-orders by the established fans, the sale numbers will talk better than any reviews. :)

hyatari
11-01-2012, 04:01 PM
"Waaaaahhhh they didn't like the game as much as I did, clearly they're being paid off."

^ That

This thread is sad beyond belief; just full of apologists and fan boys. I've played this game with an open mind, but I've found many of the criticisms to be very true. The start is painfully contrived and linear, so that's around 6 hours wasted. The combat doesn't feel fluid; it feels very scripted and light weight. The menu is just a joke; it's like they wanted to make it as useless and counter intuitive as possible. It just really feels a mess in many regards.

I'm sorry if honest critiques offend your delicate sensibilities.

luckyto
11-01-2012, 04:03 PM
The combat is totally fluid if you are any good at it. Just sayin -

Waaaaahhhh they didn't like the game as much as I did, clearly they're being paid off.

~All of your comments

Not mine. My comment is that they are ******ed if they can give Super Mario or Grand Theft Auto a 98/99 and then give THIS game an 85. It means their opinion is virtually worthless. I don't care if they are paid or just fanboys who like to suck Nintendo and Rock Star off. But you can objectively put this game up against the best of this generation and it would rank in the best. I don't think they are being objective. I think they are either brain-dead or playing favorites.

POP1Fan
11-01-2012, 04:04 PM

Actually, there are more scores of 9 or 10's than 8's or 8.5's.

hyatari
11-01-2012, 04:27 PM
I don't think they are being objective.

Err, you do realise reviews comprise of the journalist's opinions, i.e. subjective?

And, no, you can't 'objectively' put this game as one of the best of this generation; that is YOUR subjective opinion, certainly not mine.

As for the combat; it's very easy, but not at all rewarding to me. That wasn't my point, but I didn't expect you to get it, considering how raged you are that your beloved franchise has received an 8.5.

HisSpiritLives
11-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Err, you do realise reviews comprise of the journalist's opinions, i.e. subjective?

And, no, you can't 'objectively' put this game as one of the best of this generation; that is YOUR subjective opinion, certainly not mine.

As for the combat; it's very easy, but not at all rewarding to me. That wasn't my point, but I didn't expect you to get it, considering how raged you are that your beloved franchise has received an 8.5.

It is beloved franchise of 99 % of us here. And i am really disapointed with ****ing gamespot and ign ,in fact i hate them now.

hyatari
11-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Haha, you hate them because they delivered a review that wasn't to your liking? Just....wow.

pirate1802
11-01-2012, 04:46 PM
I think its more to do with what AC3 got 'in comparison' to other games, is what's pissing people off, not the actual score.

luckyto
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM
As for combat, the question was whether or not its fluid. And it is completely fluid if you are doing it right.

Gamer Revolution: 100
Playstation Lifestyle: 100
G4TV: 100
Cheat Code Central: 96
Game Informer: 95
Gaming Trend: 93
Vandal Online: 95

That's just some of the critics, The bigger ones. How can it can get a 100 from other respectable sources and get an 85 of IGN? I mean really? Even on a franchise to franchise basis, how can AC2 get a 90, but AC3 get an 85 --- when AC3 has a better engine, better graphics, better combat and better story. I mean, I could understand them giving it like an 88. But a full five points lower than AC2. I can pick out MANY games that IGN has given higher scores that are a fraction of this game. And other people who know games and aren't "fanboys" see it also.

I don't hate them. But they are Nintendo and Rock Star "fanboys" and always give those games passes. Or anything comic book.

NinjaOnFire
11-01-2012, 04:56 PM
Because they didn't pay IGN epic money?

CalgaryJay
11-01-2012, 05:06 PM
Haha, you hate them because they delivered a review that wasn't to your liking? Just....wow.

Here's another "just...wow" thought; why are you still here? You recently just signed up because you're excited for the game...it comes out and, oops!, you don't like it at all...that's unfortunate, so no point being on an AC board then eh? But here you are...

So basically the entire reason you and your 10 posts are here is to tell people on an AC board about how you don't like AC3. Just...wow indeed. Nobody cares, see ya later then.

silvermercy
11-01-2012, 05:22 PM
My thoughts exactly. I've been wondering all this time if hyatari is actually a newbie troll. He/she doesn't seem to belong here anyway. It's one thing to criticize one game and one thing to absolutely HATE it as s/he has shown already with ALL his/her posts. And also make fun of the fans for not liking the ign review.

evil9494
11-01-2012, 05:36 PM
talking about the troll = feeding the troll . Everybody is free to write his opinion. Other thing is that he has no opinion because he is lame... So lets get back to topic right :)
From what I saw the game is 5 steps forward to Revelations and Brotherhood. AC3 is the same now, like the AC2 was for AC1 than. All that's left is to release it for PC and to be something more than a port so that it will run smoothly.

hyatari
11-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Yes, trolls = people with differing opinions. Always the stock rebuttal from deluded fanboys, I'm afraid.

But seriously, lol @ getting so butthurt about a review, especially when it's quite flattering. Oh noes, another game scored higher! Well, maybe because it was better? Shock, horror!

pirate1802
11-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Yeah right. CoD scores higher so it indeed must be better.

hyatari
11-01-2012, 06:46 PM
You do realise that getting so bent out of shape to the point of 'hate', because a review isn't the score you want, is pretty...pathetic, right?

pirate1802
11-01-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm not hating on IGN or anyone else. I even think taken in itself, an 8.5 is quite good. I just think the score is unfair in light of what have been awarded to lesser games.

ACSineQuaNon
11-01-2012, 06:57 PM

I*, has*, I*.

Get off your high horse. I understood what he was saying, and I'm pretty sure everyone else did too. Regardless, the fact that his game has mad amounts of screen tearing can't be lessened by any grammatical mistakes. They're completely unrelated.

ACSineQuaNon
11-01-2012, 07:10 PM

Stop pulling random IGN review scores out of your hehe

MW: 9.4
MW2: 9.5
WaW: 9.2
Black Ops: 8.5
MW3: 9

IGN being "better shooters" (how would you even know this) has nothing to do with their reviews. The AC franchise isn't even know for being difficult lmao

Toa TAK
11-01-2012, 08:10 PM
You know, for a 8.5, the review honestly sounded more negative than anything else.

GodofCats
11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
You know, for a 8.5, the review honestly sounded more negative than anything else.
I agree with this. The part that irked me some was that the negativety of the review seemed more nitpicky than anything. Point and a half because the brilliance was inconsistent? It was almost as if she was saying that it was one of the better games released in recent memory, that it was pretty amazing, but only 95% of the time, so therefore warranted a whole point and a half down from perfect. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and an 8.5 without taking anything else into context is a good score. However, the reviews' stated factors for such a score as opposed to 10/10 are very disappointing, and also, as others have stated, there are other "lesser" games that have recieved better scores. IMHO, at least.

Assassin_M
11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
You do realise that getting so bent out of shape to the point of 'hate', because a review isn't the score you want, is pretty...pathetic, right?
You`re pathetic..

Assassin_M
11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Stop pulling random IGN review scores out of your hehe

MW: 9.4
MW2: 9.5
WaW: 9.2
Black Ops: 8.5
MW3: 9

IGN being "better shooters" (how would you even know this) has nothing to do with their reviews. The AC franchise isn't even know for being difficult lmao
I wont even dignify this crap with a proper response

scooper121s
11-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I wont even dignify this crap with a proper response
Is that guy for real?

zhengyingli
11-01-2012, 10:52 PM
I agree with this. The part that irked me some was that the negativety of the review seemed more nitpicky than anything. Point and a half because the brilliance was inconsistent? It was almost as if she was saying that it was one of the better games released in recent memory, that it was pretty amazing, but only 95% of the time, so therefore warranted a whole point and a half down from perfect. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and an 8.5 without taking anything else into context is a good score. However, the reviews' stated factors for such a score as opposed to 10/10 are very disappointing, and also, as others have stated, there are other "lesser" games that have recieved better scores. IMHO, at least.

Exactly my thoughts. I couldn't care less about lower than expected scores, but the review itself read like a wish list rather than critiquing what was presented. And I'm tired of the comparisons between ACII and ACIII. I'll never refute the fact that most reviewers loved ACII the best, but they never compared the two games properly.

Want an example of how a review should break down ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING? Read Kotaku's review. When I first read it, I thought the reviewer was going to trash ACIII in favor of ACII since they said ACIII's not the best game in the series. Surprisingly, the reviewer compared ACIII with ACB instead of with ACII in terms of technical refinement. Now that's a review I can get behind. No scoring from them, either.

De Filosoof
11-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I actually think for the first time in history that the IGN score is pretty fair.

The game has major bugs and feels like it has some kind of identity crisis.

TiaraBlade
11-05-2012, 04:20 AM
Do a google search: lots of people are complaining about the lockpicking mini game.

Am I bad? Hardly, IMHO. I understand what one is supposed to do but even if I manage to hold the analogs JUUUUUST RIGHT, you can still very easily tun out of time for some stupid timer that doesn't even make any sense.

Some people will always defend games, even one that starts as slowly as this one with TONS of glitches. I have NEVER seen this many glitches in an AC game, at least not the last 3 (never beat AC1). I don't know why people are so blind but I guess they feel the need to defend anything.

Just ran into another tough lock. Hammered the R1 the whole time and the game just laughs and resets the lock. Yeah, took a genius to put that little element in as "fun" for the players.

I miss Ezio: Connor is a step up from Haytham (thought he seemed odd, at least too cold blooded for an assassin) but Connor I'm just not warming up to. Oh well, guess I can save my money by not buying future DLC

zhengyingli
11-05-2012, 04:26 AM
Do a google search: lots of people are complaining about the lockpicking mini game.

Am I bad? Hardly, IMHO. I understand what one is supposed to do but even if I manage to hold the analogs JUUUUUST RIGHT, you can still very easily tun out of time for some stupid timer that doesn't even make any sense.

Some people will always defend games, even one that starts as slowly as this one with TONS of glitches. I have NEVER seen this many glitches in an AC game, at least not the last 3 (never beat AC1). I don't know why people are so blind but I guess they feel the need to defend anything.

Just ran into another tough lock. Hammered the R1 the whole time and the game just laughs and resets the lock. Yeah, took a genius to put that little element in as "fun" for the players.

I miss Ezio: Connor is a step up from Haytham (thought he seemed odd, at least too cold blooded for an assassin) but Connor I'm just not warming up to. Oh well, guess I can save my money by not buying future DLC
Most of us that defend the game actually don't defend the bugs; we just don't find those wierd happenings ruin the game. As for lockpicking, I've seen four let's plays so far, and none of them have any problems after their first lock. So, I'm not convinced that the lockpicking is broken.

AdonisDF
11-05-2012, 04:49 AM
This game doesn't even deserve the 8.5 it got. If I were the one reviewing it, it'd be lucky to get a 6/10. Worst game of the series by far.

ronnielaw316
11-05-2012, 04:52 AM
AC3 is trash.
It's lucky to even get a score.
Seriously, I should have seen a franchise cash out coming.

Legendz54
11-05-2012, 04:58 AM
^ why are you even here??

hyatari
11-05-2012, 05:04 AM
^ why are you even here? He bought the game and has just as much right to express his opinion as you do.

zhengyingli
11-05-2012, 05:06 AM
^ why are you even here? He bought the game and has just as much right to express his opinion as you do.
I would welcome some constructive criticisms, though. If he/she says the game is perfect, I'd like hear some reasons, too.

ronnielaw316
11-05-2012, 05:10 AM
I have not one good thing to say about this game.
AC, AC2, AC:Brotherhood were all amazing games.
Revelations was trash that was boring 2 minutes in.
I figured it would be and also figured they were just padding the story.
I really wanted this to be on the same level as the first 3 games.
It isn't.
In every way that the first three were groundbreaking, this one is trash.
They ruined every single fun thing about the series.
So much wasted potential just to bilk people out of their money.
Seriously, I am so pissed and disappointed.

zhengyingli
11-05-2012, 05:14 AM
I have not one good thing to say about this game.
AC, AC2, AC:Brotherhood were all amazing games.
Revelations was trash that was boring 2 minutes in.
I figured it would be and also figured they were just padding the story.
I really wanted this to be on the same level as the first 3 games.
It isn't.
In every way that the first three were groundbreaking, this one is trash.
They ruined every single fun thing about the series.
So much wasted potential just to bilk people out of their money.
Seriously, I am so pissed and disappointed.
Elaborate. Treat me like a five year old.

Legendz54
11-05-2012, 05:30 AM
^ I'm here because I actually like the game and want to discuss it with the friendly forum members, and these noobs are rolling in and are coming here and trying to convince the poeple that love the game that its crap, that's my problem.

ronnielaw316
11-05-2012, 05:38 AM
I'll do you one better.
You tell me why you liked the game and Ill tell you why I disagree.

BTW man, to be clear, this is my opinion.
I have mine and you have yours.
On one hand I really do think that if you enjoyed AC3 you must have the mental capacity of a ******ed monkey, but on the other, at least you got to enjoy the money you spent on the game.

Honestly, what this is about for me is that of the last 5 games I have spent money on, they have been total garbage.
I just don't get why it's OK to package up garbage and sell it for top dollar, and everyone is just supposed to bow down and treat it like its ****ing amazing.
It clearly isn't.
It doesn't even meet the standard that the franchise itself set.

zhengyingli
11-05-2012, 05:45 AM
I'll do you one better.

On one hand I really do think that if you enjoyed AC3 you must have the mental capacity of a ******ed monkey, but on the other, at least you got to enjoy the money you spent on the game.

Honestly, what this is about for me is that of the last 5 games I have spent money on, they have been total garbage.
I just don't get why it's OK to package up garbage and sell it for top dollar, and everyone is just supposed to bow down and treat it like its ****ing amazing.
It clearly isn't.
I can't really agree or disagree until you give me something concrete. From browsing your past posts, I know you don't like the beginning, but I don't know why. I'm thorougly interested in what you have to say. Browse my forum posts if that's all it takes for you to elaborate.

Assassin_M
11-05-2012, 05:53 AM
I'll do you one better.

It clearly isn't.
Elaborate or shut up

AU7thGear
11-05-2012, 06:00 AM
I've been reading IGN for years and understand how it works quite well. I know who most of the editors are and who's bad and who isn't. Firstly, guys saying IGN get paid to do reviews is just ridiculous. It didn't get the best score so I can't imagine Ubi paid for an 8.5? Right. Also I hate it how people talk about IGN as one person. There are many reviewers. And the AC franchise has seen 5 different reviewers. Which means a different reviewer for each game. It makes it tough to judge in comparison to the other games. Most of the AC reviews have been rubbish IMO, ACIII included. If you enjoy it, like I do, awesome. Go and play it, don't worry about what any one else says. But to suggest IGN or any other gaming site get paid to do reviews is ludacris.

Legendz54
11-05-2012, 06:02 AM
I'll do you one better.

It clearly isn't.

Mate your coming on a UBISOFT forum where there are loads of AC fans, Bashing the game, even saying that "if you like AC3 you have a mental capacity of a ****ed monkey" and pissing people off, on top off that using an excuse that its your opinion. Mate just get the hell out of here.

Black_Widow9
11-05-2012, 06:04 AM
Let's keep this Topic constructive or I'm going to lock it.

If you cannot state actual reasons for why you feel a certain way about the game then you will definitely be considered trolling. Be specific please....

Assassin_M
11-05-2012, 06:10 AM
Let's keep this Topic constructive or I'm going to lock it.

If you cannot state actual reasons for why you feel a certain way about the game then you will definitely be considered trolling. Be specific please....
Right from the bosswoman`s mouth..

Because what everyone is doing is irritating, annoying and childish..Whatever happened to the great discussions we used to have here ? -_-

ronnielaw316
11-05-2012, 06:14 AM
@Assassin_M: Go blow a horse. You are human trash and an oxygen thief, not a single rational person gives two flying ****s what you think about anything.
Get a job, get out of mommies basement and go live life.
Until then, shut your ****ing mouth, you sorry sack of ****.

OK, fine.
When you first start the game you have to download a patch. Not really a big deal, but not great either. Just shows that the game is unfinished and they couldn't be bothered to complete it before they shoveled it out the door.
Then you have to activate it, because god forbid you actually get to play the game without proving that you dropped the money on it.
Then it has to install and load and all in all it takes about an hour just to get to the start screen.
But that is typical of PS3 games so really whatever.

Then you get to play as Desmond and watch his boring cutscenes and in between you can't even climb or run. Awesome.
When it FINALLY starts, it's this weird tutorial and you take over a character that has NO backround at all in the franchise.
It's just some random dude.
OK, I'll bite, off to a really bad start so far but maybe it'll all come together.
Oh look, I still cant run or use any of the controls but the left stick while it hand holds me through eagle vision and points me to a ladder so that I know I need to climb something in a freakin AC game.
NO ****ING ****!
Then I get to kill some schmoe that has ****all to do with anybody, with a character that means ****all to anybody.
And then I get to make my escape.
SLOWLY.
I have to avoid all the guards and people that will pin the deed on me, which is exactly no one.
I have to walk through 3 or 4 rooms so that the game can tell me that I can hit X to push people out of the way.
No tension, no suspense, no ****ing clue what is going on.
Then a boring cutscene about unobtainium, and why I have to get on a boat.
More interminable cutscenes.
Now we have cutscenes to intro MORE CUTSCENES.
Awesome.
Now I'm just jamming circle to get through it.
Then we get to the gameplay, with some boring dude already putting the game on tracks at the first opportunity.
I just got off the boat but I have to hold his hand from A to B.
At least DaVinci showed up from the second and third game though, even if he did look like ben franklin asking me to find flags from the first game, which by the way is BORING.

The most exciting thing was when my finger slipped and I accidentally shot a redcoat.
Then the targeting system got to shine and show me how FUBAR it is, and how ****ed combat is.
Again, it's boring. Surprise surprise.

But at least I got a go fetch quest.
I was like I was a level 1 whatever in WoW or any other generic MMO all over again.
Just what I wanted in a single player game.
Complete with a tutorial about how guns work.
And just to make sure I get the point, I get to keep shooting people.
****it if they are redcoats or not let's just shoot everyone maybe itll at least liven things up.
But it doesn't.

Honestly I don't even know what happened after that, I cared so little.
Something about a redcoats and no one ever explained to me why they are after me, even though I'm playing a british guy.

Circle Circle Circle.
Kill everyone, boring side game in the bar, and I'm done, **** this game.

That's my AC3 experience right there.
And on top of all that the graphics are ****.
it isn't a beautiful game.
It is dull, drab and ****ING BORING.

pirate1802
11-05-2012, 06:15 AM
Oh come on now.. namecalling? What are you a 9 year old?

Legendz54
11-05-2012, 06:18 AM
See... he just blew his cover..Troll indicated.

apacherose2012
11-05-2012, 06:19 AM
And he's the one calling people ******ed monkeys for liking the game.... No need to spout profanities every second sentence, it makes you sound like a teen who didn't get what he wanted for christmas

zhengyingli
11-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Mate your coming on a UBISOFT forum where there are loads of AC fans, Bashing the game, even saying that "if you like AC3 you have a mental capacity of a ****ed monkey" and pissing people off, on top off that using an excuse that its your opinion. Mate just get the hell out of here.
I did ask him to treat me like a 5 year old, though. He could've really have at me by picking out my points while browsing through my past posts.

AU7thGear, I do not doubt there is a possiblity of any publisher indirectly paying for reviews through advertising. But personally, I never use the bribing argument because that's too easy. I just don't like this particular reviewer in general. I've posted a lengthy novel under that review explaining how poorly written that article was in general, as I couldn't careless about the score.

pirate1802
11-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Meh.. carrying on. I'm interested in Black Ops II's release. Why? Because I wanna see how much IGN rates them. :P

AU7thGear
11-05-2012, 06:21 AM
@Assassin_M: Go blow a horse. You are human trash and an oxygen thief, not a single rational person gives two flying ****s what you think about anything.

OK, fine.
When you first start the game you have to download a patch. Not really a big deal, but not great either. Just shows that the game is unfinished and they couldn't be bothered to complete it before they shoveled it out the door.
Then you have to activate it, because god forbid you actually get to play the game without proving that you dropped the money on it.
Then it has to install and load and all in all it takes about an hour just to get to the start screen.

Then you get to play as Desmond and watch his boring cutscenes and in between you can't even climb or run. Awesome.
When it FINALLY starts, it's this weird tutorial and you take over a character that has NO backround at all in the franchise.
OK, I'll bite, off to a really bad start so far but maybe it'll all come together.
Oh look, I still cant run or use any of the controls but the left stick while it hand holds me through eagle vision and points me to a ladder so that I know I need to climb something in a freakin AC game.
NO ****ING ****!
Then I get to kill some schmoe that has ****all to do with anybody, with a character that means ****all to anybody.
SLOWLY.
I have to avoid all the guards and people that will pin the deed on me, which is exactly no one.
I have to walk through 3 or 4 rooms so that the game can tell me that I can hit X to push people out of the way.
Awesome.
Then we get to the gameplay, with some boring dude already putting the game on tracks at the first opportunity.
At least DaVinci showed up from the second and third game though, even if he did look like ben franklin asking me to find flags from the first game, which by the way is BORING.

The most exciting thing was when my finger slipped and I accidentally shot a redcoat.
Then the targeting system got to shine and show me how FUBAR it is, and how ****ed combat is.

I was like I was a level 1 whatever in WoW or any other generic MMO all over again.
****it if they are redcoats or not let's just shoot everyone maybe itll at least liven things up.
But it doesn't.

Something about a redcoats and no one ever explained to me why they are after me, even though I'm playing a british guy.

Circle Circle Circle.

It is dull, drab and ****ING BORING.

Someone's mummy didn't give them enough attention this morning. Seriously dude? If you don't like the game that's all right. No one says you have to. But if you can't explain how you feel about the game in a structured way without swearing in a single sentence then please don't come on forums. I doubt you've finished the game by the amount of complaining you are doing. Oh and one more thing, you don't think the game is beautiful then you must be sick or something... Petition for ban please!

Assassin_M
11-05-2012, 06:21 AM

I`ll go commit suicide now..

AU7thGear
11-05-2012, 06:23 AM
I did ask him to treat me like a 5 year old, though. He could've really have at me by picking out my points while browsing through my past posts.

AU7thGear, I do not doubt there is a possiblity of any publisher indirectly paying for reviews through advertising. But personally, I never use the bribing argument because that's too easy. I just don't like this particular reviewer in general. I've posted a lengthy novel under that review explaining how poorly written that article was in general, as I couldn't careless about the score.

Fair enough, I don't agree with the review either and I don't like Keza as well.

Turul.
11-05-2012, 06:33 AM
long time AC fan here...

and i totally agree with IGN

this game is far too buggy, its unacceptable for an AC game, let alone any AAA title
at parts the story feels rushed, and other parts its sluggish and dull
the gameplay is great, and there are some very awesome moments,
and the crafting, trade, and homestead systems feel clunky, and overwhelming.

overall AC3 is inconsistent.

if they fix all of the bugs i'd bring up my score to a 9.

if the greatness of the game went all the way through it would be a perfect 10/10. but unfortunately, i think ubisoft bit off more than they could chew

and now they have a whole year to refine the game and make another one and hopefully develop conner more as a character :)

Black_Widow9
11-05-2012, 07:10 AM
long time AC fan here...

and i totally agree with IGN

this game is far too buggy, its unacceptable for an AC game, let alone any AAA title
at parts the story feels rushed, and other parts its sluggish and dull
the gameplay is great, and there are some very awesome moments,
and the crafting, trade, and homestead systems feel clunky, and overwhelming.

overall AC3 is inconsistent.

if they fix all of the bugs i'd bring up my score to a 9.

if the greatness of the game went all the way through it would be a perfect 10/10. but unfortunately, i think ubisoft bit off more than they could chew

and now they have a whole year to refine the game and make another one and hopefully develop conner more as a character :)
Please make sure that if you do encounter any bugs that you report them to Ubisoft Support. I know you know but the more details they have the better. http://support.ubisoft.com/

CalgaryJay
11-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Someone's mummy didn't give them enough attention this morning. Seriously dude? If you don't like the game that's all right. No one says you have to. But if you can't explain how you feel about the game in a structured way without swearing in a single sentence then please don't come on forums. I doubt you've finished the game by the amount of complaining you are doing. Oh and one more thing, you don't think the game is beautiful then you must be sick or something... Petition for ban please!

If he doesn't get banned I'll be stunned. What a spazzy little baby, he sounds like he's 14.

TlNSTAAFL
11-05-2012, 07:16 AM
an 8.5, and ign spoiled alot and didn't even cover anything on naval warfare. The review was somewhat sloppy as it was.

Rogkun
11-05-2012, 07:25 AM
I still don't even understand why people care about review scores anymore. They almost never change, are usually
from the same reviewers people disagree with, and sometimes the game does just fine without the score.

To those that take the score as "serious business"- free your mind and play what you love. You shouldn't quibble
over a theoretical number made up by a stranger in a cubical that has different tastes than you. Payed off or not.
People will always buy popular games- no matter how terrible they are. As for ACIII, the only problem I can see is
that it's insanely buggy and has really poor pacing for the opening act. I really don't care to put a number to that,
and I really don't care if anyone else agrees. That's the liberating part about it all.

Bugati x Veyron
11-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Yes the game has bugs/glitches but its still a good game hopefully with a patch they can fix a few of the issues.One thing i noticed with the halo 4 ign review is there is no mention of cons in the game just pro pro pros doubt its that perfect.

BeCk41
11-05-2012, 08:28 AM
8.5 is still pretty good. I remember IGN gave some other games I fancied a 6.0- 5.0 score and I was shocked. I don't really listen to ratings as all sites and opinions are different. Only your opinion counts and what YOU thought the game deserves will be the real score. :3

Terrifyer0
11-05-2012, 08:46 AM
if you rate your enjoyment of any game based on some arbitrary number that represents nothing more than the subjective opinion of another human being, then I feel sorry for you.

zhengyingli
11-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Another one important point I want to highlight: "As much as of a revolution as promised?" was the title of the review. I think most of us are still afflicted by pre-release overhype, therefore every now and then I see negative reviews that emphasizes on failed promises. There have been games/movies in the past where the developers/directors/writers/producers overhyped their own product to the highest expectation, and said games/movies got hated extremely harsh reviewers due to vigorous marketing.

My personal experience with ACIII hype all started from GameTrailers First Take, where they talked about what was presented during the press unveiling. Keep in mind this video came out all the way back in past late March. One big thing they hyped about was the procedural animations of tree climbing and movement on uneven surfaces, which was actually executed rather well in the final product. Not too bad, right? But then they just had to raise my expectation on the supposed on-par-with-Uncharted graphics. When E3 came along, I was so disappointed with the looks of the demo. I mean it looked really good, just nowhere as good as the Uncharted series. Naval demo came really close, but that's not enough either. Then I decided to go dark until the releas date. That's right, 4 months. No reading interviews, no trailers, no nothing. Luckily, I don't follow any gaming-related personalities/entities either on facebook or twitter, but it's still tempting whenever I see screenshots of ACIII on game websites I normally check. When the game finally came out, had a blast straight out of the gate, knew nothing of how the free run and fighting mechanics work. No ugly shadow can disappoint me. Guess how much of shock I was in when finally discovering the area known as the Davenport Homestead!

A question for all of you to ponder: How many reviewers out there rate (not the numbered rating, the written review itself) games based on disappointment born out of overhyped exposure?

If us gamers are already showered with what I feel is overabundance of hype material, no way can any reviewers of big sites with more exposure than us tackle the review with a fresh mind. More and more I fear that games are not rated based on its own merits, but rather "did it match up to the hype?"

Rob327
11-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Well i played the whole Campaign (aside from the side missions) and to an extent i agree with IGN. This game only gives me the feeling of the "potential" it had and what could've been. I think it makes me more want to go out and purchase a FPS Revolutionary War game, knowing none is on the Market on Xbox.

To make it simple, games like Red Dead and Skyrim spoiled me immensely. You could do what you want when you want, and very seldom are you "forced" to have to participate in a capacity you don't want to. On this game, if you're immersed in an Epic Battle, you're only going to stuck doing one thing (say, in charge of giving firing orders for cannons), instead of personally being involved in the Battle in the way i may want to (say, on the Firing Line shooting my Musket). The Gun Mechanics were made too cumbersome to do a very simple thing. Aim with the LT, shoot with the RT. Here it a huge rigamarole to simply shoot your weapon (y button if your lucky to even get the gun to aim).

Another big drawback is the lack of Uniforms and choices of them. It almost seems like a "glitch" that one wouldn't be able to wear a REAL Boston type Outfit, and only be able to change the color of the Assassin Outfit. Once you get into the Conner Missions, you're stuck with the Assassin Uniform, and could only change it's colors. They have the "Captain Kidd" unlock, but there's really no Uniforms concurrent with that Era, which just gives the game an uneasy feeling of feeling WAY out of place, and playing the part more of "Batman", than that of wearing the Uniform of a Colonist, or a Patriot, so forth.

I think it's a decent game, the graphics are great, but the lack of choices, say as generic as uniforms in this day and age just doesn't cut it today with games that you have MANY choices, for purchase in form of DLC, or thru "cheat codes" the company puts out. I can't see me buying any DLC's until they give us at least more choices in that regard for the Campaign..

wow-food
11-05-2012, 04:53 PM
I agree with one point of theirs. The opening sequences (1 and 2) felt so slow it put me off the game, but as soon as you get control of connor I was drawn in instantly.

On the other hand though I wouldn't give it a 9.5-10 it just isn't there, there's a few reasons for this.

Launch Bugs
Plot Holes
No mission explanation.

And the mission explanation I mean things like

[POTENTAIL SPOILERS]

When you first begin training with achiles he takes you into his basement and points out how you'll have to kill all the templars. Including your father. When did you mention that guy was your father? Come to mention it, how did you know your father was a templar? I mean you knew who he was from your mother, but that was about it. There wasn't even any. "You'll have to kill these men" "OMG THATS MY DAD!!!"

Come to think of it, how did he even know that was his dad? There' weren't any photos back then, and I doubt he could tell from a verbal description from his mother.

That's the biggest hole in the story I know of so far.

The other issues are silly things like the delivery missions, or the collecting of poor richards book pages. They're introduced to your father, but not to you, so why are they your quests? Surely they should have been reintroduced for connor as seperate quests.

Thos are my main gripes. The plotholes (all related to early in the game) and of course it's still buggy. Personally I'd put it at an 8 at highest. If the bugs get fixed it could push up to 8.5, maybe 9

Culb420
11-05-2012, 04:57 PM
The game definitely doesn't deserve above an 8.5.

zainzombie
11-05-2012, 05:32 PM
After playing atleast 15+ hours (and have yet to complete story campaign) I can safely say that IGN's opinion is BS! This game is easily 9.5 if not a perfect 10. IGN can go screw themselves, this game is super fun, great story, nice variety of missions, tons of side missions and collectibles, hunting, naval warfare there is just tons to do. If Skyrim got 10 this game is easily 15/10.

hyatari
11-05-2012, 06:07 PM
If Skyrim got 10 this game is easily 15/10.

Dude, this isn't anywhere near Skyrim's level.

Open world, with meaningful things to do/upgrade/collect vs linear, restricted world, with pointless side quests.

I know which one Skyrim is.

scooper121s
11-05-2012, 09:28 PM

OK, fine.

NO ****ING ****!
SLOWLY.
Awesome.

But it doesn't.

Circle Circle Circle.

It is dull, drab and ****ING BORING.]
Does anyone else think we shoulds hit the ignore button on this guy

zhengyingli
11-05-2012, 09:30 PM
]
Does anyone else think we shoulds hit the ignore button on this guy
Well, he's banned already. It's cool.

luckyto
11-05-2012, 09:34 PM
I love the game. 85 is harsh. But the bugs and the menu system alone are worth knocking it down to almost 9. There's way way too many. 3 more months of revision and clean-up, and it would be GOTY. AC3 is so big compared to other titles and really pushes the technology that it warrants some forgiveness. But any other game with that many bugs would be an 8. 9 would be a fair score as it compares to other titles with scores of 9 or higher.

hyatari
11-05-2012, 10:27 PM
The banned guy brought up a lot of good, true points. The manner in which he delivered them doesn't change that.

Radman500
11-05-2012, 10:53 PM
well its obviously no Hitman... but its pretty good game

zhengyingli
11-05-2012, 11:18 PM
The banned guy brought up a lot of good, true points. The manner in which he delivered them doesn't change that.
His final rant might be long, but it still did not tell us why he thought the first hour was boring. He just kept reiterating like a politician.

Aethlwin
11-05-2012, 11:21 PM
You should always take sites such as IGN and Machinima with a pinch of salt, they have given many bad games high reviews purely because they've come from some of the big companies. I've read most of the reviews for AC3 and wonder whether we were playing the same game at all. It seems more than likely that these review sites are paid or given incentives to write good reviews.

AssassinGame1
11-06-2012, 12:15 AM
Assassin's Creed 3 would have been the best game, it is the glitches that made it lose its opportunity for great awards in the future

IronEagl3
11-06-2012, 12:22 AM
I haven't played the game yet, but from what I've seen, it looks a bit glitchy on a couple of things such as the jump and grab motion. Usually in the past 4 games you would jump from one building to another and grab on fluently but now it seems as if he grabs on and his whole body shifts. Clearly a glitch there. I hope when I buy it on Christmas all the glitches will be patched.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-06-2012, 12:30 AM
... this ones the best one yet by far

Now who's talking rubbish?

Lexax123
11-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Now who's talking rubbish?
Nobody is. It's his opinion, get over yourself. Is it honestly that hard to accept that other people like this game?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Nobody is. It's his opinion, get over yourself. Is it honestly that hard to accept that other people like this game?

I like the game too. But unlike the rabid fanboys who think a critic's score of 85 is grossly unfair and worthy of creating a thread on how devastatingly unfair it is, I don't think AC3 is the best thing since sliced bread.

The game deserves 70/100, tops. IGN probably got a big kickback to give it an extra 15 points.

You fanboys crack me up.

Lexax123
11-06-2012, 12:53 AM
I like the game too. But unlike the fanboys, I just don't think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
That's the problem, most people are not saying it is, 'best game in the series' doesn't mean best game in history, he may of thought the other games were just good and this one was great. It just seems most people throw the label 'fanboy' to anybody who doesn't think the game is a complete piece of rubbish. It's just as bad as all the actual fanboys calling anyone who has a different opinion a troll.

EDIT: Didn't read your edit, yeah I think the complaining over the 85 is a bit too far

zhengyingli
11-06-2012, 12:57 AM
I like the game too. But unlike the rabid fanboys who think a critic's score of 85 is grossly unfair and worthy of creating a thread on how devastatingly unfair it is, I don't think AC3 is the best thing since sliced bread.
You can always invoke him/her to back up his/her opinion instead of blindly calling him/her out.

Lexax123
11-06-2012, 01:17 AM
The game deserves 70/100, tops. IGN probably got a big kickback to give it an extra 15 points.

You fanboys crack me up.
What an ignorant statement. Way to go, sinking to their level. If they had bribed them, they would have gave it 9.8 or something ridiculous. Sorry to burst your cynical bubble, but not everybody thinks this game is as bad as you do.

jums300
11-06-2012, 01:43 AM
We`re just gonna have to live with it..

It sucks that a game like GTA IV gets a 10 and AC III gets an 8.5
I think that might be a bad example. GTA IV was an amazing game. A good example of how screwed up IGN's reviews are would be Halo 4 getting a 9.8 and don't even get me started on COD. Assassins Creed 3 has so much in it. So much depth. It at least deserves a 9. AT LEAST! Also, did you see those to reviews that gave AC3 a 7? How? JUST HOW?!!