PDA

View Full Version : Just a brief summary of my thoughts on AC3 (Spoiler Free)

Free_Hidings
10-31-2012, 12:00 AM
I have played around 2 hours Single Player and 2 hours Multiplayer. I don't understand these complaints about frame rates - I am on PS3 and I have never seen an Assassin's Creed game run so smooth.

It really actually does feel almost next gen. Everything is just incredible, I am thoroughly impressed. As for the story, I haven't got far at all yet, but the start is really cool and unexpected. There is a lot of detail in people's actions also, little things which are not important but make the game seem that much more immersive and real. For example, in one of the missions, a guard flies at and tackles a civilian, then him and another hold him up and search him for weapons. While walking in Boston, a women drops a crate of oranges, and a thief runs by, grabs one and sprints off. These extra little occurances are not at all relevant, in fact I couldn't even chase the theif down (possibly because I was already in a mission) but they are really nice touches. There are lots of conversations and things going on that are really cool.

The graphics are awesome. Facially, they are similar to Revelations in cutscenes, which I already thought were excellent. But the surroundings and water seem much more detailed and realistic. As I said, the frame rate is silky smooth and the animations are fantastic.

Combat is different, but really fun. I do fear it might be a bit too easy, though I have barely started the game so I imagine encounters will be come more difficult. Even if it doesn't get harder it is still extremely fun and a bit more dynamic than ACR, it feels really rewarding.

Now the multiplayer feels to me just... So good, almost perfect. It's very similar to ACR so I jumped right in and won my first few games, I instantly adjusted to the merged button so there is only a very small learning curve, mostly learning the maps and characters. Stealth is definately rewarded, naked stuns are more frequent and the game flows well, + I haven't actually encountered any glitches yet. I have yet to encounter a smoke bomb, as I seem to be in lobbies with players only slightly higher level than me (I'm 10 now, players ranging from 5-15 usually) My only real concern is that in AA, the maps seem to be quite small, but it may have been just the one map I played on so far.

There are so many small additions / adjustments, not just in game but in the loading screens etc, that make it better. I am truly impressed with this game.

My opinion is that if you bought it just for SP or just for MP, you would get your moneys worth either way. Absolutely blown away. Now, back to it :)

lbrosfilm
10-31-2012, 12:17 AM
Good post, I have the exact same thoughts. Haven't given the MP a try yet, saving that for after I finish EVERYTHING in the SP.

ACfan443
10-31-2012, 12:44 AM
Agree with everything, it's very smooth on the PS3. One thing I have to say though is that the faces are 100 times better than those of Revelations'

rileypoole1234
10-31-2012, 02:48 AM
I agree with everything though I've yet to play multiplayer. No spoilers coming but the twist they throw in towards the beginning really blew my mind. So much so that it literally was hanging open. I've been free roaming in the Frontier for awhile now and I do like the fact that you have to think more when tree-running.

And the atmosphere, don't get me started on that... It's freaking awesome. Really just awesome. I've only been to Boston and the Frontier so far (and the surprise at the beginning), and I can just say that the atmosphere of the areas makes me squirm.

blacklimoband
10-31-2012, 03:30 AM
I must say, I am really looking forward to playing this.Pre ordered from EB for XBox, picking up tonight or tomorrow (time permitting)... missed the midnight launch party as I had to work today :( **** you RL...

hyatari
10-31-2012, 03:33 AM
One thing which has struck me so far; it's pretty disingenuous to call this open world, because many parts are so linear as to completely negate that feeling, unfortunately.

Sharkey1337
10-31-2012, 03:37 AM
I actually tried chasing that tomato thief, only to find out I couldn't tackle him and he ended up around a corner floating in mid-air, dropping the tomato. =_=

Rogue Agent 035
10-31-2012, 03:50 AM
I have played around 2 hours Single Player and 2 hours Multiplayer. I don't understand these complaints about frame rates - I am on PS3 and I have never seen an Assassin's Creed game run so smooth.

It really actually does feel almost next gen. Everything is just incredible, I am thoroughly impressed. As for the story, I haven't got far at all yet, but the start is really cool and unexpected. There is a lot of detail in people's actions also, little things which are not important but make the game seem that much more immersive and real. For example, in one of the missions, a guard flies at and tackles a civilian, then him and another hold him up and search him for weapons. While walking in Boston, a women drops a crate of oranges, and a thief runs by, grabs one and sprints off. These extra little occurances are not at all relevant, in fact I couldn't even chase the theif down (possibly because I was already in a mission) but they are really nice touches. There are lots of conversations and things going on that are really cool.

The graphics are awesome. Facially, they are similar to Revelations in cutscenes, which I already thought were excellent. But the surroundings and water seem much more detailed and realistic. As I said, the frame rate is silky smooth and the animations are fantastic.

Combat is different, but really fun. I do fear it might be a bit too easy, though I have barely started the game so I imagine encounters will be come more difficult. Even if it doesn't get harder it is still extremely fun and a bit more dynamic than ACR, it feels really rewarding.

Now the multiplayer feels to me just... So good, almost perfect. It's very similar to ACR so I jumped right in and won my first few games, I instantly adjusted to the merged button so there is only a very small learning curve, mostly learning the maps and characters. Stealth is definately rewarded, naked stuns are more frequent and the game flows well, + I haven't actually encountered any glitches yet. I have yet to encounter a smoke bomb, as I seem to be in lobbies with players only slightly higher level than me (I'm 10 now, players ranging from 5-15 usually) My only real concern is that in AA, the maps seem to be quite small, but it may have been just the one map I played on so far.

There are so many small additions / adjustments, not just in game but in the loading screens etc, that make it better. I am truly impressed with this game.

My opinion is that if you bought it just for SP or just for MP, you would get your moneys worth either way. Absolutely blown away. Now, back to it :)

I whole heartedly agree..., I'm barely through sequence 2 as I've been havin too much fun exploring Boston an expirencing everything it offers so far. I'm on Xbox 360, an aside from ppl an redcoats occassionally spawning in when at first you don't see anything, I see that as a minor over lookable glitch that makes no difference. The combat, yes... is a bit easy once you get the hang of the new control scheme, but as free said, it may get harder as time goes on, but I'm too occupied by watching the animations as to care about how easy it is at this point. The arcitecture of Boston is overwelming as to it's beauty an the weather system is an absolute eye opener hearing that crack of thunder as your free running across the rooftops svoiding redcoats. The inclusion of animals in the city is.... wow, I can't even describe how cool that is, I made a comment earlier this month that it will be nice to actually see a dog barking when you see it, an it is. All in all...., to those who have it, I'm sure your pleased an feel that ubi delievered on what they promised us since the release trailer back in March. An to those who will be getting it, you will not be dissapointed :cool:

Free_Hidings
10-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Agree with everything, it's very smooth on the PS3. One thing I have to say though is that the faces are 100 times better than those of Revelations'

Okay I agree, after further analysis the faces are definately a fair bit better than Revelations, but give credit where it is due. Go and watch the parts where Ezio is writing to Claudia. The detail in those little sequences is insane, and it's pretty similar in story mode, just that the other characters don't have as much detail.

I agree with everything though I've yet to play multiplayer. No spoilers coming but the twist they throw in towards the beginning really blew my mind. So much so that it literally was hanging open. I've been free roaming in the Frontier for awhile now and I do like the fact that you have to think more when tree-running.

And the atmosphere, don't get me started on that... It's freaking awesome. Really just awesome. I've only been to Boston and the Frontier so far (and the surprise at the beginning), and I can just say that the atmosphere of the areas makes me squirm.

Omg agreed, BRIEF SPOILER ALERT at the start I thought he was a T, but then as I played through I was like... Nah this guy is too good and now he is saving natives and ****, so I was completely swerved, and then it turns out he was a T all along... Completely insanely awesome. SPOILER NOW OVER

I have spent the last few hours just exploring the Frontier, it's so cool!!

One thing which has struck me so far; it's pretty disingenuous to call this open world, because many parts are so linear as to completely negate that feeling, unfortunately.

I'm sorry I completely disagree. The Frontier is immense. Like comparing it to Rome doesn't do it justice. It is absolutely massive. There are some parts which you have to follow a path to get to, but that only adds to the scale, because it makes you take even longer to get around and adds a bit of a challenge to it.

Boston aswell is pleasantly large, there is no shortage of roofing and the city is pretty big. What really blows my mind is how they can have such a massive game world, beautiful and high quality graphics and all sorts of things going on (ambient animations with leaves / trees etc, animals roaming around, soliders) and yet it still runs smoother and faster than any other AC game I have played on my PS3 including AC1 which was a full install!!

I actually tried chasing that tomato thief, only to find out I couldn't tackle him and he ended up around a corner floating in mid-air, dropping the tomato. =_=

Haha! When I couldn't tackle him I just gave up, hopefully I meet him again one day though!

I whole heartedly agree..., I'm barely through sequence 2 as I've been havin too much fun exploring Boston an expirencing everything it offers so far. I'm on Xbox 360, an aside from ppl an redcoats occassionally spawning in when at first you don't see anything, I see that as a minor over lookable glitch that makes no difference. The combat, yes... is a bit easy once you get the hang of the new control scheme, but as free said, it may get harder as time goes on, but I'm too occupied by watching the animations as to care about how easy it is at this point. The arcitecture of Boston is overwelming as to it's beauty an the weather system is an absolute eye opener hearing that crack of thunder as your free running across the rooftops svoiding redcoats. The inclusion of animals in the city is.... wow, I can't even describe how cool that is, I made a comment earlier this month that it will be nice to actually see a dog barking when you see it, an it is. All in all...., to those who have it, I'm sure your pleased an feel that ubi delievered on what they promised us since the release trailer back in March. An to those who will be getting it, you will not be dissapointed :cool:

Such a good point, the animations are so well done and flow so well that I don't mind if it isn't as challenging, it is an absolute joy to play. And yes, the weather is awesome. That's another thing I noticed, the textures in general look more realistic / less plasticky than in Revelations / Brotherhood / AC2, and this really shines through when it's raining, textures look amazing. Pets is another awesome touch, there is just so much that I love about this game, truly surpassed high expectations and I am not even near halfway through yet.