PDA

View Full Version : As a Native American, I'm extremely excited to play as Connor. Thank you Ubisoft.

IllusiveManJr
10-30-2012, 10:07 PM
Not sure if this is going to be a double posted thread or not, sorry if it is. Also sorry if this is the wrong section. This is my first post/thread hear on the these forums. Also English isn't my primary language, so I apologize for any weirdly worded things.

I just wanted to say as a Native American I'm very thankful to the AC:III dev team for taking the route they did with Connor being a Native American. I don't get to see "people like me" represented in media that often. And a few of those representations have been disappointing. I'm very excited to play as Connor when I start AC:III later tonight.

Just wanted to thank the dev team. That's all.

scooper121s
10-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Welcome to the forums:), hope you enjoy AC3

Mr_Shade
10-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Hi

And also a welcome from me ;)

The game is really a great addition to the series - and Connor is a great new Assassin !

I hope you feel Ubisoft showed your culture the respect it deserves - it was a freash and very interesting story and location for me personally ;)

I will make sure they see this thread ;)

RatonhnhakeFan
10-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Very happy for you and other Native Americans (even the one who will never even play the game). Each time there's an good/truthful portrayal of a Native American character in popular fiction it helps break stereotypes, spread awareness and educate people. Not to mention the positive effect it can have on Native people themselves (especially teenagers/young adults), to be able to play as one 'of their own' for once. For the same reasons I'm very happy that the lead in Liberation is a woman, and a woman of color at that! I can only hope Ubisoft will continue to have minorities as the main protagonists in the series. Asian assassin, female assassin in the main console AC game (could be Aveline in AC3.5!), homosexual assassin, an assassin with some kind of a physical disability. Having varied cast of main assassins suits the themes of this franchise and its main organization of Assassins perfectly.

UrDeviant1
10-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Very happy for you and other Native Americans (even the one who will never even play the game). Each time there's an good/truthful portrayal of a Native American character in popular fiction it helps break stereotypes, spread awareness and educate people. Not to mention the positive effect it can have on Native people themselves (especially teenagers/young adults), to be able to play as one 'of their own' for once. For the same reasons I'm very happy that the lead in Liberation is a woman, and a woman of color at that! I can only hope Ubisoft will continue to have minorities as the main protagonists in the series. Asian assassin, female assassin in the main console AC game (could be Aveline in AC3.5!), homosexual assassin, an assassin with some kind of a physical disability. Having varied cast of main assassins suits the themes of this franchise and its main organization of Assassins perfectly.

How about a Homosexual, Asian woman In a wheelchair as our next assassin? :rolleyes:

Radman500
10-31-2012, 01:17 AM

damm...anybody besides that evil white man.... right?

Assassin_M
10-31-2012, 01:22 AM
damm...anybody besides that evil white man.... right?
Nothing wrong with some diversity..

Caucasians are over done, so a change is a nice breathe of a new, fresh air.. Whats your Problem ?

Radman500
10-31-2012, 01:23 AM
Nothing wrong with some diversity..

Caucasians are over done, so a change is a nice breathe of a new, fresh air.. Whats your Problem ?

thats pretty racist.......

Assassin_M
10-31-2012, 01:25 AM
What ? xD Racist ??

Radman500
10-31-2012, 01:27 AM
What ? xD Racist ??

cause i don't get the honest point of why "diversity of characters" matter...

there not you, you can't look up to them., there 10x larger then life.. why would a native american be proud of a mass killer like Connor, does he represent you....

im a white guy, doesn't mean i look up to solid snake, a super soldier clone with an iq of 180.....

Assassin_M
10-31-2012, 01:35 AM

there not you, you can't look up to them., there 10x larger then life.. why would a native american be proud of a mass killer like Connor, does he represent you....

im a white guy, doesn't mean i look up to solid snake, a super soldier clone with an iq of 180.....
How does that relate to what I said ? and how does it make it racist ?

Diversity is always welcome, imagine if the world was made up of people who only just wanted to be doctors, or I`ll just put it as Shaun does.. "Change is life, when things become static, it means they`re dead"

Regarding that second paragraph which is just.... I dont even know of a polite word to describe it. The OP did not say "he looks up to him" he`s happy that Natives are not represented stereotypically as they are in most other medias.

maxerx180
10-31-2012, 01:42 AM

Desmond: You're racist.

Had to be done. Or would the video have worked better?

Assassin_M
10-31-2012, 01:45 AM
Desmond: You're racist.

Had to be done. Or would the video have worked better?
I think this suffices just fine..

As a matter of fact, our replies just gave more legitimacy to his ridiculous post..

tjbyrum1
10-31-2012, 01:49 AM
What Native American origin are you? Would be cool to be Iroquois and play the game.

Sorry if someone else asked that.

BBALive
10-31-2012, 01:49 AM

It gives developers new themes to explore. We've never really played as a character like Connor before, in any game, so it's a nice change. It's also more interesting than generic Caucasian, bald protagonist #456. The OP is clearly just happy that he gets to play as a Native American that isn't portrayed in a stereotypical way.

Also, I think the Native Americans of the period would definitely be able to relate to Connor.

RatonhnhakeFan
11-01-2012, 01:24 PM
cause i don't get the honest point of why "diversity of characters" matter...Because we're living in a diverse world, I know, breaking news

JACKofA11TradeZ
11-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Personally I agree about the Native American assassin as I love the Native American culture, cause back on my dad's side some ways down we have some Native American ansestry. It is rather refreshing though not playing as a white man even though Altiar was technically middle-eastern, but Ratonhnake is an amzing assassin and awesome addition to the AC line-up.

Toa TAK
11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Glad you were happy to play as a Native American assassin! Connor is now my favorite assassin of the franchise.

scooper121s
11-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Glad you were happy to play as a Native American assassin! Connor is now my favorite assassin of the franchise.
Seconded:p

Dungenmaster2
11-02-2012, 01:01 AM
I gotta agree. Connor is by far my favorite assassin. Out of all of them he just feels the most human but hey that is just my opinion on it.

rileypoole1234
11-02-2012, 02:17 AM
Hello and welcome mate. I really do love Connor as a character. I love how his culture and values show through throughout the whole game (I'm on sequence 7). I've always had an interest in Native American culture, so I think Connor's really awesome and I think it's really cool that you're a Native American too.

I'm sure you'll be pleased with Connor;).