PDA

View Full Version : Lock Picking

Talithajo
10-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Im sorry to say Im having a lot of trouble with this. I found this chest near the water heading out of Boston I guess and it just wont open. I finally get the left & right sticks to work & i dont even need to use the RT button it justs starts on its own. It gets to the end of the lock & yet the chest is still locked. Over & over.
Is lock picking an upgradable skill or are there some chests you cant open till whenever? whenever you do a specific task or reach a certain point in gameplay or any number of other events????

Can anyone help this dodgering ol fool get better at lock picking please? Is there maybe a you tube video (I havent found one yet)

Thanks

Tali

FredEx919
10-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Hello,

It isn't upgradable that I know of and should open once you have pressed RT the required amount of times. There were some changes to the lockpicking mechanic in the day 1 title update, so if you are currently not connected online, please do so to install the title update. Also, if you continue to have trouble, I would continue on through the game. As you complete each area (liberation missions, viewpoints etc) all chest in that specific area will be significantly easier to lock pick

redka243
10-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I have also been having significant trouble with opening any chest at all. It seems bugged!! First of all its hard to get the angles and then push the button while the controller is vibrating because you invariably move your thumbs when this happens. I've tried going slow, fast nothing helps at all. Even a few times after about 20 minutes of trying when it finally got to the end of the lock, the chest just didn't open.

bart578
10-31-2012, 10:17 AM
I have also been having significant trouble with opening any chest at all. It seems bugged!! First of all its hard to get the angles and then push the button while the controller is vibrating because you invariably move your thumbs when this happens. I've tried going slow, fast nothing helps at all. Even a few times after about 20 minutes of trying when it finally got to the end of the lock, the chest just didn't open.

Last I opened and the second I opened in the game so far it took 3 attempts but it does work. Do it slowly and one it clicks don't move your thumbs. Takes a bit of practice but it's a puzzle.....not meant to be too easy!

UtilityTortoise
10-31-2012, 10:55 AM
I'm having the same problem too.once both picks are in place the slider thing simply moves on its own without pressing any bumper button... Then when it gets to the end, it resets and the chest doesn't open.

alabama989
10-31-2012, 03:14 PM
The little bolt that automatically starts is a timer and you have to break the lock before the bolt gets to the end

TaleraRis
10-31-2012, 03:25 PM
It takes some practice. I was spinning the sticks too quickly at first and finally got the hang of that. My big problem is that inevitably my thumbs move when I try to hit the right trigger quickly. It would have flowed better if once we had locked the two settings, they would have stayed locked while we hit the trigger. I can't count the number of times my thumb barely moved the stick and it messed everything up. It was annoying.

DiiLite
10-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Had the same issue the first time I got my hands on it. The important thing is the move slowly around until you see the pick slide in. If you see the animation start then stop, you've simply gone too far, and you can just rotate back the other way.

redka243
11-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Still can't do it. The vibrating controller really screws you up. I've pushed fast and slow and nothing works at all. I'm on sequence 6 now and haven't been able to open any chests whatsoever. Is there anything actually important in the chests or can we just skip them? Still incredibly frustrating...

Are you guys that are succeeding laying on PS3 or Xbox? Maybe its bugged on one of the systems and not the other. Somehting like the controller sensitivity being messed up for lockpicking specifically. Would changing the settings of the game do anything to help this?

Toa TAK
11-01-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm not gonna lie, this the worst lock picking I've had to do in any game. :P

redka243
11-01-2012, 06:52 PM
its not just a few boxes either, lockpicking is a serious fail and mega frustration :p

Kaschra
11-01-2012, 08:50 PM
At first I had my problems with it, now I think it's pretty easy.

gothpunkboy89
11-01-2012, 09:04 PM
I've been getting issues with about half the chests I've lock picked.

Either I can get the 1st bit into position but then the 2nd part no matter how far i go each way it never catches to let me press R1 to attempt to unlock it.

Or I get the left stick into place and as soon as i get the right stick into play giving the slight vibration to confirm they are in place the game kicked both picks out. This happens on most chests. Door I don't have an issue with but chests yes. As soon as i get both picks into place the game kicks them out of the lock.

AssassinVenice
11-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Am I the only one who hasn't any complains about the lock picking?

I LOVE IT! Much better than Skyrim's system, and no I' not being sarcastic nor am I a troll. :D

gothpunkboy89
11-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Am I the only one who hasn't any complains about the lock picking?

I LOVE IT! Much better than Skyrim's system, and no I' not being sarcastic nor am I a troll. :D

I don't mind it. But when it will either not allow me to pick the lock no mater how many times i rotate the pick both ways.

Or as soon as I get both picks into place they kick them out of the lock. Then I have an issue with it.

AssassinVenice
11-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't mind it. But when it will either not allow me to pick the lock no mater how many times i rotate the pick both ways.

Or as soon as I get both picks into place they kick them out of the lock. Then I have an issue with it.
You're on PS3, right? I am.
Do you have the original Dualshock 3 or is it a 3rd party one?

Baroni 88
11-01-2012, 09:23 PM
It's easy guys! On the chests, get the left analog and right analog in the right spot. Thats when that knob starts clicking across. It's not moving because of you. It's moving because it's a timer. You have to tap RT as fast as you can before that know gets to the left side, otherwise it locks you out and you'll have to start over. It's a security device in a way to prevent tampering I guess but thats all you have to do. very simple. just be fast on the RT

ShrunkLawyer0
12-20-2012, 08:50 PM
the lockpicking is the ****tist i have ever seen and yes skyrims was soo much better and before anyone *****es about what im saying and tells me to go and play skyrim if its better the point im trying to make is ubisoft needs to either revamp the lockpicking or just give players the keys after liberating the forts

XLT sMasHerZZX
12-20-2012, 10:42 PM
I wish they just scrapped Lockpicking altogether and replaced it with "Kick the door open"

StUbbZ24
12-20-2012, 10:53 PM
I thought it was really easy, maybe even too easy.

I could be wrong, but I think the angles for each stick are always either up, down, left, or right. I don't find any problem holding my thumbs in place while mashing RT either.

HareyMon
12-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Why couldn't we just press a button and have him lockpick it rather than go this unnecasary mini-game? Especially when they are all so easy and don't seem to vary in difficulty. I think it was fine in the other games to do that. Kind of reminds me of batman arkham city's password hacking now that I think of it. Except Rocksteady knows how make good games.

zMrFahrenheit
12-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Why couldn't we just press a button and have him lockpick it rather than go this unnecessary mini-game? Especially when they are all so easy and don't seem to vary in difficulty. I think it was fine in the other games to do that. Kind of reminds me of batman arkham city's password hacking now that I think of it. Except Rocksteady knows how make good games.
Yeah, because all games from Ubisoft, including Far Cry 3, sucks, right? Because it is so ****ing easy to make a good game. Go pass the frustration of making a game and being worried about whether your game was a hit or it sucked, then you can judge ANY gaming company.
You guys should start appreciate a little bit more what you have got.

ShrunkLawyer0
12-21-2012, 12:12 AM
dude stfu by the way lockpicking should not require using a ****ing doorknob shaped tool how about ubisoft makes it so you can shoot the lock off if you want

Assassin_M
12-21-2012, 12:15 AM
dude stfu by the way lockpicking should not require using a ****ing doorknob

How very civilized..

An Idiot Ignorant....Does that exist ?

EDIT: Nope sorry

ShrunkLawyer0
12-21-2012, 12:46 AM
wasnt trying to be civilized

Assassin_M
12-21-2012, 12:48 AM

You dont say ?

zMrFahrenheit
12-21-2012, 02:40 AM

In this case you succeeded

psf22
12-21-2012, 02:42 AM
I actually like the lockpicking.

ShrunkLawyer0
12-24-2012, 10:52 AM
ok wolud like to apologise for my behavior second the lockpicking is still terrible have tried everything please ubsoft just give access to the keys

Assassin_M
12-24-2012, 11:07 AM
ok wolud like to apologise for my behavior second the lockpicking is still terrible have tried everything please ubsoft just give access to the keys
Oh please Ubisoft..make the game **** easier than it already is..I can`t take a tinsy winsy bit of awfully hard lock picking...I play the games to have fun, ubisoft...why you make it hard, ubisoft ??

VitaminsXYZ
12-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Wait...people actually found the lock-picking hard? I messed up once or twice in the entire game because my thumb slipped.
I can understand if some people didn't like this new feature; it's your opinion, dislike it all you want. But I didn't think moving your fingers independently of the others was ever considered to be difficult...

ACfan443
12-24-2012, 11:45 AM
I loved the lock picking, I wish there was more of it.