PDA

View Full Version : Which Spitfire is better? The ellipitical or clipped wing?

Hollidark
03-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Being a rated pilot I understand the generally unfavorable stalling characteristics of the elliptical wing over the rectangular. But which was the most favored by the airmen that flew them. Sorry not up to date on the RAF.

Hollidark
03-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Being a rated pilot I understand the generally unfavorable stalling characteristics of the elliptical wing over the rectangular. But which was the most favored by the airmen that flew them. Sorry not up to date on the RAF.

lbhskier37
03-03-2004, 09:08 PM
The clipped wing ones look like crap. The elliptical wings are what makes it a good looking aircraft.

http://lbhskier37.freeservers.com/pics/Killasig2.jpg (http://www.il2skins.com/?action=list&whereauthorid=lbhkilla&comefrom=display&ts=1049772896)
Official "uber190n00b"
"Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be." Adolf Galland

Magister__Ludi
03-03-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Hollidark:

Expect to be flamed for this by the resident Spitfire experts that we have. I can hear already "Unfavourable stall of the eliptical wing? how can that be possible??", oh yes dear Spit lovers elliptical wing stalls on the whole wing span whereas regtangular wing stalls first at the root, allowing a certain degree of aileron effectiveness and an easier stall/spin.

BS87
03-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Clipped wing flys a wee bit better, but its so ugly its not worth it, IMO :D. Looks like you flew it through a narrow tunnel, yuck!

Magister__Ludi
03-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by BS87:
Clipped wing flys a wee bit better, but its so ugly its not worth it, IMO :D. Looks like you flew it through a narrow tunnel, yuck!

:D:D

Oso2323
03-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by BS87:

which is pretty much what real RAF pilots thought of it. They were even more unimpressed when thaty had to carry bombs.