PDA

View Full Version : Assassinís Creed IIIís Writer Talks Connor: Aggressive and Justified

FirestarLuva
10-24-2012, 07:45 PM
http://electronictheatre.co.uk/articles/articles-articles/25304/assassins-creed-iiis-writer-talks-connor-aggressive-justified

New interesting article about AC3, ACL, Connor, the story, sequels and more. :3

~~~~

As reported earlier this week, Electronic Theatre recently had the opportunity to sit down with Assassinís Creed III writer Matt Turner and discuss the forthcoming videogame title. Talking about the history of the franchise, the gameplay design of Assassinís Creed III and our protagonist, Connor Kenway, Turner revealed some very interesting details about the highly anticipated release.

Clearly enthusiastic about Assassinís Creed, not just his own work but of the franchise as a whole, Turner takes the time to chat with Electronic Theatre about his favourite elements before discussing the finite detail of his work, the character his team have created and how he fits into the world. You can read the first part of the extensive interview with Matt Turner below, and Electronic Theatre will conclude this chapter early next week.

Electronic Theatre: So whatís your opinion of the franchiseÖ how itís developed?

Matt Turner (MT): Itís interesting. The franchise is growing almost exponentially. You know, weíve got graphic novels, the comic books and novels and you know, a [PlayStation Vita] game and then this game; thereís been four instalments on the main consoles. Itís just this kind of massive Ďthing,í and itís interesting to have this kind of scope and able to tell stories in different directions and places but itís also very difficult to manage the canonÖ

Electronic Theatre: Have you had input into every aspect of Assassinís Creed?

MT: Well the core writing team definitely, weíre always asked to read things and make sure it doesnít, you know, impinge on our narrative or contradict anything that we might say. We actually have a team of people that manages just the universe; that makes sure people are always on point and the franchise is kept on track.

Electronic Theatre: So what would you say has been your favourite out of everything; the comic books, the videogames, what piece of story do you thing defines the franchise?

MJ: Hmm, good question. I mean, Ďdefinesí is a tough word, but my actual favourite was the first one, the first Assassinís Creed. Iím not kidding! People knock it for being repetitive and all these things but it was so well crafted and all the stuff was part of the experience of being an assassin and that was kind of part of the intention, it was to make people, like, not want to go and kill people. I donít know, it was really well crafted. I had nothing to do with it. I was just a consumer at that point and I really enjoyed it from the beginning. For me that was kind of like the definitive Assassinís Creed and I think itís grown and evolved from there. You know, each one has something new to offer and for me, thatís the big one.

Electronic Theatre: So at what point did you jump in? You say you were a consumer with the first one.

MJ: Oh no, sorry. I was working with EA when the first one came out so I was a consumer of Ubisoft products.

Electronic Theatre: So at what point did you jump into Assassinís Creed?

MJ: It was just under three years ago know, I came for [Assassinís Creed III]. I did some support work on [Assassinís Creed Brotherhood] but it was mostly for [Assassinís Creed III] all the way through. Since Iíve been here I suppose Iíve had high visibility on books and comic booksÖ

Electronic Theatre: So we had Assassinís Creed II, then Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood and Assassinís Creed: Revelation and now weíve got Assassinís Creed III. Assassinís Creed III is obviously a significant step forward in the same way Assassinís Creed II was from Assassinís Creed. Has some development overlapped?

MT: There were always different teams. So, like, Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood and Assassinís Creed: Revelations, they were different teams. Weíre always kind of our own thing and for us, from the very beginning we had earned the ĎIIIí, we were telling ourselves from the start this is us. You know, with Assassinís Creed, Assassinís Creed II, Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood and Assassinís Creed: Revelations, I think are great instalments on a narrative level and it was like Ďwe are Assassinís Creed III, we have to be the next thingí. There has to be a reason that we are the ĎIIIí so thatís been a challenge from the beginning. But basically our mantra has been that we have to refresh everything or even just renew everything and have a fresh set of eyes on all the mechanics, and take what people loved, maintain it and then grow it. Everything felt like it had to be patched and I think we managed that: the fight scenes are brand new, the navigation has changed, the world is exponentially bigger than it ever has been before, the graphic fidelity is better, everything about it is better on a technical and aesthetic level and I think that we did earn the ĎIIIí and hopefully the fans will agree.

Electronic Theatre: There are many points obviously in history when Assassinís Creed III could have taken place. What was it that made you settled on the American Revolution?

MT: There are a lot of reasons and I actually wasnít privy to the conversations, the choice had been made when I arrived, so I wasnít privy to those conversations but I wasÖ I do know the reasons behind it. And it was a bunch of reasons; one we wanted to take the Assassin to a new environment and for us the next step was organic environments and one of the things that we kind of associate [with this idea], with all the other teams, was the frontier of North America, and [the] wilderness was quintessential with that idea and if weíre going to tackle that kind of environment with an assassin what better place to do it than there.

Next it was the narrative had kind of led itself, in a weird kind of way. It hadnít been planned from the beginning or anything but it was the stage that the Assassin versus Templar conflict was at, both in the present and in the past, and the kind of reflections that offered in terms of narrative stuff in the revolution. It all kind of lined-up and we kind of sat back and looked at it and we said weíd research and we discovered all these characters and there was stuff that people didnít know, and these interesting moments, and we said this is a great place to put a game in for us. Once we kind of looked at everything it was the best place for us to go but the thing is thereís so many beautiful and interesting periods of history, itís almost infinite, like you can go anywhere in time and find something awesome to play a game in so at some point you just have to call a shot and go with it.

Electronic Theatre: So obviously one thing that everyone is constantly debating is when an Assassinís Creed is going to hit modern day. Is that something that youíve discussed internally because obviously itís going to be quite a challenge.

MT: Well, Desmond is modern day and while I canít say too much about Desmond because weíre potentially being guarded at this time but you will do more with Desmond in the present day than you ever have before. So that can hint that maybe we touch on some of that stuff.

Electronic Theatre: And will there ever be a point that you believe in which the whole game is set, not necessarily with Desmond, in a modern day world?

MT: Yeah, itís definitely a possibility. I couldnít tell you if it will or not. I honestly just donít know, but I think it could be a possibility. I personally enjoy the fantasy of the period piece, like going somewhere that I canít go. So to recreate that kind of environment and just be able to immerse a player in a history that they may have read about and may have fantasised about or seen a cool movie on and allow them to explore that. I think thatís something thatís pretty special and I have to say the present day would be interesting in its own right. I think itís something thatís important to the brand, and again itís possible but I personally like the history aspect to it.

Electronic Theatre: Connor is quite an aggressive character, especially compared to Ezio who was more subtle. He had a very human characteristic about him whereas Connorís coming from a background that is almost full of hatred. Was that a conscious decision? Is there a way that affects the gameplay?

MJ: Yeah, well for us it was imperative that Connor was a different character to Ezio and Altair. People had to like him for different reasons. It couldnít just be like a rehash of the charismatic ĎRomeoí that was Ezio, so we wanted him to come from a place of power and as well emotions, again that human side. The human aspect of him isnít that heís more subtle or understated. Itís that he is an emotional person and things affect him and he responds to those emotions so we could try to explore that a little bit and I think that it was important for us to have him be driven by something outside of revenge because revenge was obviously Ezioís ulterior motive, and Altairís was made of duty we needed Connor to be something else and for us he was a man of justice. It was not that he was going out to revenge anyoneís death but he was going out to prevent such things to happen to anybody else. I think to make that kind of differentiation provided players to learn about him and grow a relationship with him that with Ezio was vital and thatís why we decided to go with a thirty year period with him so that you can actually see the fortunes that shape him when he was a little kid and then how that kind of pushes him forward when heís an adult. I think that all that stuff together will hopefully bring players to the same kind of closeness they have with Ezio.

Electronic Theatre: I loved Ezio as a character. Iím sure thereís lots of people who will agree with me on this especially when they get Assassinís Creed III in their hands: I personally donít like Connor. Not that I donít like him as a character, I donít like him as a person. What he stands for is right but heís, like I say, a very aggressive person. But that to me creates a different kind of a bond to the character than with Ezio. Was that intentional or did you put him there to be a barometer for people? Some people love him, some people hate him, but either way that still drives the story.

MT: Yeah, but I also think that maybe what youíve seen of him, is that aggressive and thatís what you see, but I think he is a person that changes throughout his trajectory, you see different aspects of him and he may respond to that kind of reaction from people in the world. I think that we wanted to have that different relationship, and haveÖ for us to elicit a reaction like that is good.

Electronic Theatre: After having a character like Ezio where itís so easy to fall in love with that guy, heís such a charismatic person, having this character which is a beast and the fact that you donít like him drives the videogame forward. Was that a conscious decision?

MT: Absolutely. And thatís what we were talking about in making him different and as hard as we try there are very few character archetypes for heroes and weíre trying to do something that was a little different. I think that that was one of the intentions, to have someone that the reason that you push him forward is different to the reason that you push Ezio forward, and youíre maybe trying to turn him into someone you may be able to relate with. Or you want to see how he grows or why he does this and can you make him stop. Itís a different kind of relationship and I think that if players can connect with that, then I think itís going to be kind of special.

Electronic Theatre: So obviously Assassinís Creed II led on to Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood and Assassinís Creed: Revelations, it was almost a platform for that period, do you see the same thing potential for Assassinís Creed III.

MT: I donít know, I would imagine so but I canít really answer yes or no to that because I donít know. I would honesty like to have Connor go different places but if he will or not I really have no idea.

Electronic Theatre: Obviously we donít know how the story with Connor turns out but he does seem like heís built for more adventures.

MT: Well we wanted to have some longevity in the character, thatís for sure, you know, we didnít want to just end him at any point but again like I said I actually donít know if thereíll be anything in the future. Letís see how this one turns out first.

-END-

Electronic Theatre: Assassinís Creed III is pushing the envelope even further than previous Assassinís Creed in terms of visual fidelity. Was it a conscious decision that that had to be done or was it just a by product of the generation getting older?

MT: Yeah, I think itís a combination of the two. We definitely wanted it to be better on all fronts, and graphic fidelity was included in that, but I think that the experience that our technical team had from building four other worlds, and the knowledge that we had, and the engine and what the consoles could do and all that stuff also contributes to the ability to tweak it and push it even further. I think those two things together allowed us to do some pretty special stuff in terms of the vistas and the character models and the animation. Connorís animation, that is pretty wild. Like he has such incredible variety and you know different environments and when the snows deep or when itís raining, when heís in a tree, or with the buildings, or when heís fighting with weapons. Thereís not a single animation about Connor thatís the same as any one of Ezioís. Itís brand new and the fluidity in the way that he moves is I think even better. So I think all that stuff, our experience plus our goal to make him even better together allowed us to do it.

Electronic Theatre: So were you involved in Assassinís Creed: Liberation at all?

MT: No I wasnít, that was a totally different team. I did read the stories as they were coming through and gave my thoughts on them but I wasnít a writer.

Electronic Theatre: Was there any collaboration between the two teams during development. Was there anyone that you worked with on Assassinís Creed III?

MT: We always try and share information and make sure everyone knows where these things are going, for one, for the peace of mind, for knowing whatís happening but also just to have other ideas coming in on projects. People in [Assassinís Creed: Liberation] would read our scripts and let us know what was going on so it was very collaborative. But I wouldnít say that we were, you know, I wouldnít go over there and sit with the team and tell them what to do, thatís not how it works.

Electronic Theatre: So Assassinís Creed: Liberation is set a few years beforeÖ

MT: Itís the same period.

Electronic Theatre: So will we see some plot threads from Assassinís Creed: Liberation bleed into Assassinís Creed III?

MT: Thereís a couple ofÖ I donít want to do any spoilersÖ a couple of things that tie in, but itís more just the period andÖ but itís a different part of the states obviously, not Ďstates,í what was the colonies and itís just a different kind of story in the same environment which I think is kind of neat.

Electronic Theatre: So is it a case of, if you play Assassinís Creed: Liberation you will get a smile on your face when you see certain things happen in Assassinís Creed III? A kind of wink and nod situation.

MT: I donít know how much of that stuff got in actually so, I havenít had any visibility on it towards the end soÖ hopefully.

Electronic Theatre: In Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood and Assassinís Creed: Revelations the multiplayer was like a step aside from the main campaign. Obviously I understand that itís a different team thatís been working on the multiplayer but has there been much collaboration between single-player and multiplayer?

MT: Yeah. Narratively theyíre different worlds, you have to understand that right because when youíre in Assassinís Creed, Assassinís Creed II, Assassinís Creed: Brotherhood, Assassinís Creed: Revelations, Assassinís Creed III youíre playing Desmond. Itís a very specific narrative device that drives it forward and we remain very true to that. The very function of multiplayer doesnít translate into that same thing so itís a different beast in its construction but yes, all the characters they have and the choices they make, we always consult on them, we always talk about them. Itís all about keeping that high way of information, the world wide web, you know, keeping avenues open so that people feel free enough to comment and make sure that things are at least it has to feel like itís in the same universe.

Electronic Theatre: So were there points in development where you sat there and thought this will be really good for the multiplayer team and you could put that in their direction?

MT: We would totally send them an email and say we thought this would be interested. Or we would read a character breakdown and say we want to try this and then they would send us things and say weíre going to do this and what do you think so thereÖ and they would play builds of our game and say thatís kind of interesting, what if we use this. So there was alwaysÖ I think itís something that was harboured from the team from the beginning was this idea of being open and being open to positive criticism. Being able to have people give you feedback on anything and the game business specifically is really important. I think the team did a really good job of like pushing that out and making sure that people were in that mindset.

Electronic Theatre: Were you involved in the naval combat?

MT: I was, very much so, yes.

Electronic Theatre: Thereís a rumour going around, doing the rounds as these things do on the internet, that the naval combat was originally designed as a spin off almost, maybe a digital title?

MT: Not to my knowledge, no. We started way back, we were looking at the American Revolution and this war was basically won at sea and if we want to portray it accurately weíre going to have to have some representation of that and that means being on a boat, and if youíre going to be on a boat youíre going to want to drive it so letís see if we can do this thing. So we got these Singapore guys going out and building really early prototypes to see what we can do and it didnít take long before they had something that we were like ok this is interesting, we can do this. And from there it crystallised and as far as Iím aware it was always meant to be in Assassinís Creed III as part of the American Revolution narrative and I think it fits really well with what weíre doing.

Electronic Theatre: Was it there right from the start when you said this is Assassinís Creed III or was naval combat always part of the plan.

MT: It was a desire from the start, and in the very beginning we werenít sure if it was possible because it was a big, technically we have fluid dynamics and waves and organic weather systems that are dynamic and ships and cannons and smoke. Itís pretty crazy.

Electronic Theatre: It does seem like an entire step apart. Itís almost like a whole new component. Well it is a whole new componentÖ

MT: Yeah exactly it is but I think in an interesting way it remains true to the original Assassinís fantasy where you were like, Iíve always kind of like equate the Aquiller, which is the ship you have to Connorís hidden blade but itís sea. Itís a weapon that he uses in a different context so itís navigation, itís combat and thereís a little bit of stealth in the there, when youíre using the ship and using the weather and trying to come up on people. I think it remains true to what Assassinís Creedís about but itís a whole new fantasy and I think thatís really exciting and I think weíve managed to weave it in there pretty well so that itís really part of the fabric of the story.

Electronic Theatre: So obviously Connor is a man of many talents being able to pilot this ship.

MT: Well yeah, thatís part of the story you learn how he gets it and how he learns to pilot it. So Iím not going to spoil that but thereís definitely in the main thread youíll learn how Connor gets it.

Electronic Theatre: Is it a situation ofÖ as you learn to do it is the same point which Connor learns?

MT: Yeah, itís made as organic as possible for players so it doesnít feel like itís wedged in there. But it was definitely something we were aware of and we wanted to make sure it was clear he learned this at a very specific point of a reason.

Electronic Theatre: Where do you see Assassinís Creed going from here?

MT: Where do I see Assassinís Creed going from here? Thatís a tough one. I think a lot of that depends on where the industry goes with the next generation of consoles. Iíd like to find out what thatís going to be but I think thatíll definitely have a massive impact on where all franchises are going, Assassinís Creed being no exception. I am a big fan of the historical aspect of it so I hope that it remains in there. I think that itís just going to continue to evolve itself and becomeÖ Iíd like to see it be more connected maybe, on an online sense, who knows if thatís possible, Iíd love to see it, I think it would be interesting for the game. I think it would be interesting but I donít know if itís something thatís going to happen. I think a lot of it depends on where weíre going to go with technology.

Electronic Theatre: When you say Ďconnected,í do you mean like an MMO type situation?

MT: I donít know. I just mean like being able to communicate with your friends in the game. I donít know, I donít really know what that even means. I see the industry moving that way in a pretty important sense.

Electronic Theatre: So presumably you already have story ideas for thatÖ

MT: I donít know, Iím not that far ahead, no. Honestly, Iím excited just to seeÖ thisíll come out, Assassinís Creed III and weíll see how people respond, if itís positive presumably theyíll be something else, Iíll be excited to see what that is but I really donít know.

Electronic Theatre: So are you looking forward to the launch I take it?

MT: Itís been two and a halfÖ almostÖ itíll have been three years when it comes out so itís a lot of blood, sweat and tears in this baby and right now weíre in that anxious stage where people are finally playing it and weíre getting like ďdo you, do you like it?Ē ďDo you think itís good?Ē ďPlease.Ē

Electronic Theatre: Well Iím sure the response is going to be just as positive as it was with previous titles.

-END-

Jexx21
10-24-2012, 09:13 PM
how do you think that Connor is all about hatred and that he's only aggressive? Sure, his fighting style is aggressive, but I never gathered the feeling that Connor only feels hatred. I just gather that he doesn't want others to experience what he has.

Ezio had a lot of hatred.. in fact, I'd say that his original motives were full of hatred.

ACfan443
10-24-2012, 09:25 PM
how do you think that Connor is all about hatred and that he's only aggressive? Sure, his fighting style is aggressive, but I never gathered the feeling that Connor only feels hatred. I just gather that he doesn't want others to experience what he has.

Ezio had a lot of hatred.. in fact, I'd say that his original motives were full of hatred.

Exactly! It was Ezio that was full of hatred, not Connor, he's a humble Mohawk fighting against tyranny and injustice. The most noble assassin I'd say. Silly interviewer.

FirestarLuva
10-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Agreed. Even when I started reading the bit about Connor I got the impression that the interviewer sounded a bit fanboyish, constantly saying how Ezio is a very charismatic, subtle, socialized person who everyone loves (eh?) and Connor an aggresive, brutal beats that no one will like, despite Matt repeating over and over again that Connor is actually a very emotional person and many things have a very big affect on him. From what we've seen of Connor, sure, he lets all his pain and hatred out during battle, hte first impression we get of him is impatient, cocky and aggressive, but if you guys have paid some attention to the sequence six videos, exclusive gameplays, Connor is actually very noble, honorable but also naive, timid, emotional, nutty and often confused about what he does is the right thing, like Alex said. And the fact we'll see different aspects of him during his story really adds different shades and more depth to his character, not him only being an aggressive killing machine out for revenge. But some of the things the interviewer said were right. Even Alex himself said that we'll have mixed feelings about some of his actions. But come on, I'm sure all AC fans are mature enough to understand why Connor will sometimes behave like that. We all know he'll suffer a terrible trauma at a very young age, his whole village burnt, and (possibly) his mother dying before him, all alone even at the start. This isn't surprising, since I'm sure anyone who suffers tragedies like this when they are kids will have a negative impact later in their life, as they mature into adults. An example is Daniel Cross. He was abandoned as a child by his parents, without a home, and later on became a drug addict. I'm sure Connor won't have anything to do with drugs but there will be something negative about him that people won't like, but still, who can blame him. :/

Sickull
10-24-2012, 10:46 PM
General question here, Connor doesn't remind you guys at least a little bit of Altair? he has that usually soft spoken but can burst into fits of anger type quality that he had.

Evenesque
10-24-2012, 11:00 PM
They make Connor sound like Kratos. Way off the mark in my opinion.

Good interview though. Matt Turner is awesome, I love his interviews.

Kit572
10-24-2012, 11:32 PM
General question here, Connor doesn't remind you guys at least a little bit of Altair? he has that usually soft spoken but can burst into fits of anger type quality that he had.

He definately reminds me of Altair in terms of clothing and personality. Unlike Ezio, Connor's robes are simple. He also shares that soft spoken voice like you mentioned in your post.

Layytez
10-24-2012, 11:35 PM
Iv'e heard Connor sound timid, angry, passionate and focused.

Somewhat but I think Connor has alot more emotion than Altair. Connor had to do his job as an assassin and insure his people were safe. That's were his rage comes from and has alot more feeling to it.

Kit572
10-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Iv'e heard Connor sound timid, angry, passionate and focused.

Somewhat but I think Connor has alot more emotion than Altair. Connor had to do his job as an assassin and insure his people were safe. That's were his rage comes from and has alot more feeling to it.

I agree, seems like the only reason Connor became an assassin was the same reason Ezio became one.

Vengeance.

Jexx21
10-24-2012, 11:41 PM
Agreed. Even when I started reading the bit about Connor I got the impression that the interviewer sounded a bit fanboyish, constantly saying how Ezio is a very charismatic, subtle, socialized person who everyone loves (eh?) and Connor an aggresive, brutal beats that no one will like, despite Matt repeating over and over again that Connor is actually a very emotional person and many things have a very big affect on him. From what we've seen of Connor, sure, he lets all his pain and hatred out during battle, hte first impression we get of him is impatient, cocky and aggressive, but if you guys have paid some attention to the sequence six videos, exclusive gameplays, Connor is actually very noble, honorable but also naive, timid, emotional, nutty and often confused about what he does is the right thing, like Alex said. And the fact we'll see different aspects of him during his story really adds different shades and more depth to his character, not him only being an aggressive killing machine out for revenge. But some of the things the interviewer said were right. Even Alex himself said that we'll have mixed feelings about some of his actions. But come on, I'm sure all AC fans are mature enough to understand why Connor will sometimes behave like that. We all know he'll suffer a terrible trauma at a very young age, his whole village burnt, and (possibly) his mother dying before him, all alone even at the start. This isn't surprising, since I'm sure anyone who suffers tragedies like this when they are kids will have a negative impact later in their life, as they mature into adults. An example is Daniel Cross. He was abandoned as a child by his parents, without a home, and later on became a drug addict. I'm sure Connor won't have anything to do with drugs but there will be something negative about him that people won't like, but still, who can blame him. :/

Well, we also found some of this things Ezio did questionable, at least in ACR.

Layytez
10-24-2012, 11:44 PM
I agree, seems like the only reason Connor became an assassin was the same reason Ezio became one.

Vengeance.

I feel the same too. Although they have said Connor sees wrong and right although the reason he joins the assassins is because he has experienced a great loss and feels no one should ever have to feel that themselves. He may see people have their freedom taken away just like him and wants to make sure wherever he can help he will.

Jexx21
10-24-2012, 11:48 PM

Vengeance.

No, the reason why Connor became an Assassin is so that others don't experience the same thing he did. This means he isn't just going after the people behind the deaths of his family and his tribe, but instead people who do these kind of things, and take away others freedom. Hell, for all we know, the people who burned down his tribe may not even be the people he first fights against, what if the people who burned his village down are colonists?

No, not vengeance. Keeping justice and freedom for all.

By the way, the post you quoted doesn't say that Connor became an Assassin for the same reason as Ezio.

Kit572
10-24-2012, 11:51 PM
I feel the same too. Although they have said Connor sees wrong and right although the reason he joins the assassins is because he has experienced a great loss and feels no one should ever have to feel that themselves. He may see people have their freedom taken away just like him and wants to make sure wherever he can help he will.

I can understand that, I have been in the same position where I have experienced something bad and wouldn't want anyone else to feel that way. But anyway, I like Connor's character so far. Hopefully he is just as cool in the game as he is in all those trailers.

Kit572
10-24-2012, 11:52 PM
By the way, the post you quoted doesn't say that Connor became an Assassin for the same reason as Ezio.

I know, I bought it up.