PDA

View Full Version : Assassin's Creed III - Age Of Empires III Striking Similarity!

Ezio_ilMentore
10-24-2012, 05:53 AM
[Read the entire thread before posting.]
[Earlier posts were posted before the new information was added.]

Recently, I've went back to a game I haven't played for a long time, Age Of Empires III.
I noticed that I did not have the expansion The Warchiefs.
After installating the expansion, the first thing I decided to do was to play the campaign.

The campaign has two parts labeled as Act 1 and Act 2.
In Act 1, you play through the story of the character Nathaniel Black.
This character has striking similarities with Connor of ACIII.
He was half European and half Irouqois (a tribe close to the Mohican), wields duel pistols and a tomahawk just like Connor, and he dresses exactly like Connor in his naval outfit.
What was truly a striking similarity was when I came to a part of the campaign where it shown Nathaniel with George Washington (AOE's George Washington), and beside them are an army of patriots (colonial militia units).
I was intrigued, the first thing that came to my mind was ACIII when I saw that.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
EDIT:
Since some people are going to be ignorant...
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/data/images/full/2012/08/02/594-assassins-creed-iii-connor-kenway.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8r93aoHHP1r4oftjo1_500.gif
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071226181924/ageofempires/images/8/84/Flagnathaniel.jpg

If you're not going to bother Googling it, take a good hard look here.
Both wield duel pistols, and both wield a tomahawk (although both tomahawks are different).
Nathaniel is like Connor in his naval outfit, without the hat.
I'm saying they are similar, not the same.

And please, I'm not saying Ubisoft ripped off Age Of Empires. I'm only showing the similarities.

xXRyzonXx
10-24-2012, 05:59 AM
What so we have here, Ubisoft?

A coincidence.

Assassin_M
10-24-2012, 06:10 AM
Ubisoft ripped off the story of Age of Empires HURR DURR..

Congratulations on exposing this menace, son..

Not buying..

xXRyzonXx
10-24-2012, 06:13 AM

Not buying..
^^ ;)

Ezio_ilMentore
10-24-2012, 06:17 AM

Not buying..
How about you take a good look at the character and tell me do they look very similar?

What is your purpose here anyway? You seem to go around every single thread. Everytime I see you, you're always negative.

xXRyzonXx
10-24-2012, 06:18 AM
I'm not trying to suggest Ubisoft was ripping off AOE,

That's exactly what it seems like you're trying to do.

Ezio_ilMentore
10-24-2012, 06:24 AM
That's exactly what it seems like you're trying to do.

I'm just sharing what I've found. And by "what do we have here,Ubisoft?", I was being sarcastic.

Assassin_M
10-24-2012, 06:30 AM
How about you take a good look at the character and tell me do they look very similar?
I'm not trying to suggest Ubisoft was ripping off AOE, I'm saying they must have gotten inspirational from that.

What is your purpose here anyway? liked everytime I see you, you're always negative.
Yeah, I`m a very negative presence here. I`m the Aku to your Samurai Jack, The Mojo Jojo to your Power Puff Girls, the Rodrigo Borgia to your Ezio, the Devimon to your Angemon.

And Yes, its that last sentence that implies that you mean what I posted..

xXRyzonXx
10-24-2012, 06:31 AM
I see an arguement on the loose.... I'm just going to step out and have no part of this.

Assassin_M
10-24-2012, 06:34 AM
I see an arguement on the loose.... I'm just going to step out and have no part of this.
Yeah, Run away...

Anyways, since this may get no where.. i`ll go check out the Warchiefs pack and get back here with my Input.. (Not saying I do not believe you, OP)

Ezio_ilMentore
10-24-2012, 06:46 AM
Yeah, Run away...

Anyways, since this may get no where.. i`ll go check out the Warchiefs pack and get back here with my Input.. (Not saying I do not believe you, OP)

You do know you can just Google "Nathaniel Black", right? Anyways, I'm done here.

GreatBeyonder
10-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Recently, I've went back to a game I haven't played for a long time, Age Of Empires III.
I noticed that I did not have the expansion The Warchiefs.
After installating the expansion, the first thing I decided to do was to play the campaign.

The campaign has two parts labeled as Act 1 and Act 2.
In Act 1, you play through the story of the character Nathaniel Black.
This character has striking similarities with Connor of ACIII.
He was half European and half Irouqois (a tribe close to the Mohican), wields duel pistols and a tomahawk just like Connor, and he dresses exactly like Connor in his naval outfit.
What truely rang the bell within me was when I came to a part of the campaign where it shown Nathaniel with George Washington (AOE's George Washington), and beside them are an army of patriots (colonial militia units).

What do we have here, Ubisoft?

(Typed this on a phone, I may still have errors from the auto suggest/corrector)

Its because both characters are inspired by Joseph Louis Cook, a half-Mohawk half-black *cough* soldier who fought for the Colonies and hung out with George Washington..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Louis_Cook

infamous_ezio
10-24-2012, 08:15 AM
This thread...

gave me cancer

Lass4r
10-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Sorry about the partly hostile reception you're getting...

If this is true I would love to see side by side images and whatnot, so we can judge better by that =)

ProletariatPleb
10-24-2012, 10:58 AM
I've played it as well, the same thing occurred to me when they first announced AC3 and that the prot will be half-native.

But they aren't all that similar...or maybe they are.
Well there are quite a few similarities but it's no ripoff.

He helps George Washington, and in return George helps him.
He fights with the Colonials.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071226181924/ageofempires/images/8/84/Flagnathaniel.jpg

xXRyzonXx
10-24-2012, 11:00 AM
I've played it as well, the same thing occurred to me when they first announced AC3 and that the prot will be half-native.

But they aren't all that similar...

I personally think they look completely different, also Connor's tomahawk is different aswell.

ProletariatPleb
10-24-2012, 11:08 AM
I personally think they look completely different, also Connor's tomahawk is different aswell.
Oh and did I mention his father(or grandfather or greatrgeatrgeatrgeat grandfather w/e) Morgan Black comes from the UK(Scotland to be more precise)?

LightRey
10-24-2012, 02:54 PM
The similarity is there because of the similar setting and it ends there. They're both games based in the same time period and location, and both are trying (at least in part) to be historically accurate. Now if the costumes actually looked very similar (which they really don't, the similarity ends with the fact that it's the same style, which should be expected as it is a uniform), then you might have a point here, but they don't, so you don't.

POP1Fan
10-24-2012, 03:39 PM
They also both start with A...

AWBiggs
10-24-2012, 03:41 PM
This is like saying any white dude, in any historical epic game ever is ripping off another white dude. This discussion is utterly pointless.

xXRyzonXx
10-24-2012, 03:41 PM
They also both start with A...

Wait what?

POP1Fan
10-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Wait what?
Assassin's Creed.
Age of Empires.

LightRey
10-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Assassin's Creed.
Age of Empires.
I think you forgot this:
http://rlv.zcache.com/awesome_smiley_face_rage_f7u12_funny_meme_sticker-p217514200448309390envb3_400.jpg

Ezio_ilMentore
10-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Its because both characters are inspired by Joseph Louis Cook, a half-Mohawk half-black *cough* soldier who fought for the Colonies and hung out with George Washington..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Louis_Cook

Good point. Thank you for bringing that up.

Ezio_ilMentore
10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
The similarity is there because of the similar setting and it ends there. They're both games based in the same time period and location, and both are trying (at least in part) to be historically accurate. Now if the costumes actually looked very similar (which they really don't, the similarity ends with the fact that it's the same style, which should be expected as it is a uniform), then you might have a point here, but they don't, so you don't.

As I've stated, Nathaniel dresses in the same color as Connor's naval outfit, just without the hat.

Aphex_Tim
10-24-2012, 09:09 PM
As I've stated, Nathaniel dresses in the same color as Connor's naval outfit, just without the hat.

I dress in blue as well from time to time.

ProletariatPleb
10-24-2012, 09:26 PM
I dress in blue as well from time to time.
You ****ed Patriot!

Make Ready!
Present!
Fire!

LightRey
10-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Which counters my statement regarding the fact that that's because it's a uniform how exactly?

Ezio_ilMentore
10-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Which counters my statement regarding the fact that that's because it's a uniform how exactly?

Just re-read the first post.

LightRey
10-24-2012, 09:38 PM
Just re-read the first post.
Yes, they both wear a captain's uniform when captaining a ship. Whoopty-doo. It's a friggin miracle.

Ezio_ilMentore
10-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Yes, they both wear a captain's uniform when captaining a ship. Whoopty-doo. It's a friggin miracle.

What are you trying to prove, they don't look similar?
Earlier you've admitted they do.

LightRey
10-24-2012, 10:17 PM
What are you trying to prove, they don't look similar?
Earlier you've admitted they do.
I'm saying that the fact they look somewhat similar (they are actually very different in detail, even when compensating for the difference in graphical quality) is due to the fact they're both based on the same thing, neither is inspired by or copied from the other.

Ezio_ilMentore
10-24-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm saying that the fact they look somewhat similar (they are actually very different in detail, even when compensating for the difference in graphical quality) is due to the fact they're both based on the same thing, neither is inspired by or copied from the other.

Obviously we're not focusing on the visual details.

SaintPerkele
10-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Why is everyone getting so mad at OP? He never said that Ubisoft ripped off AoE or something like that. He just presented an in my opinion pretty interesting find, which might have actually been used as a source of inspiration for AC3, who knows - but that's no big deal, using other people's work as inspiration is normal in every form of art and entertainment, including video games.
Also, the outfits do look similar. This does not imply that they both wear beak-shaped hoods or that the AoE-Tomahawk is shaped like the Assassin insignia - it's just the mix between American somewhat patriot-ish outfits and native clothes and accessoires that both clearly share.

Maybe that's just me, but recently there's a really negative tone in this forum. Sure, I understand that there are quite a lot of annoying posts the closer we get to the AC3-release, but every thread that does not hype ACIII or says how great it is going to be is in a short amount of time filled with comments of users who are angry for no particular reason. OP discovered something interesting he wanted to share with us and everyone just becomes ultra-fanboyish for no reason. This place used to be quite harmonic..

LightRey
10-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Obviously we're not focusing on the visual details.
Obviously that was only a minor side note to my point.

Kit572
10-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Maybe that's just me, but recently there's a really negative tone in this forum. Sure, I understand that there are quite a lot of annoying posts the closer we get to the AC3-release, but every thread that does not hype ACIII or says how great it is going to be is in a short amount of time filled with comments of users who are angry for no particular reason. OP discovered something interesting he wanted to share with us and everyone just becomes ultra-fanboyish for no reason. This place used to be quite harmonic..

I agree, It seems as if every thread I click on there is always an argument.

The negativity will probably die down after the game is released though. I'm pretty much going to be hanging out on the Splinter Cell forum more after AC3 is released seeing as blacklist is my next anticipated game so...

Ezio_ilMentore
10-25-2012, 01:08 AM
Why is everyone getting so mad at OP? He never said that Ubisoft ripped off AoE or something like that. He just presented an in my opinion pretty interesting find, which might have actually been used as a source of inspiration for AC3, who knows - but that's no big deal, using other people's work as inspiration is normal in every form of art and entertainment, including video games.
Also, the outfits do look similar. This does not imply that they both wear beak-shaped hoods or that the AoE-Tomahawk is shaped like the Assassin insignia - it's just the mix between American somewhat patriot-ish outfits and native clothes and accessoires that both clearly share.

Your reply... gave me cancer. HURR HURR HURR DURR HURR HURR
@$%#*
Just kidding.
So true though. I've noticed it every since ACIII was announced.
I was about to question why do people get so mad over these kind of things, being all fan-boyish.
I thank you, I couldn't have said it better.

Kit572
10-25-2012, 01:13 AM
Your reply... gave me cancer. HURR HURR HURR DURR HURR HURR
___
Just kidding.
So true though. I've noticed it every since ACIII was announced.
I was about to question why do people get so mad over these kind of things, being all fan-boyish.
I thank you, I couldn't have said it better.

For a second I thought you were insulting him until I saw the the just kidding part.

The ____ made me think those words were part of you signature.

Ezio_ilMentore
10-25-2012, 02:06 AM
For a second I thought you were insulting him until I saw the the just kidding part.

The ____ made me think those words were part of you signature.

Lol my bad. I changed it.