PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who really hates the AC2 combat?

Free_Hidings
10-22-2012, 04:22 AM
AC1 had awesome combat, I loved how you used timing on combos to do excecutions, and the whole step / guard break stuff and slow / fast hits was awesome to mix it up.

In AC2 it's pretty much slash slash slash slash slash... Then excecution. Rinse and repeat. Obviously you can do the counter kill (like in every other game) but when you want to be the aggressor, it really sucks. AC1 had really nice strategic fighting with multiple approaches, in AC2 it's just slash.

In ACB it got easier, but it's far more enjoyable. It would be nice if the guards put up a bit more resistance, but at least you didn't have to hit them 5 times to get an excecution, and the streaks were badass.

And Revelations was pretty much the same but some of the new kills were a bit weird and didn't look as smooth, they did add different enemy types like the Janissaries which spiced it up and added some difficulty which was cool.

Overall I think AC1 style combat was the most satisfying, it really felt like you were doing all the fighting. ACB would be second, it was less challenging and a bit less involved but smooth and effective.

AC2 just reaaallly annoys me, I don't want to sit there hacking every person 5 times before I can put them down, and I don't want to wait to counter kill everyone either. It's tedious and unrewarding, and because of this I run away from confrontations far more than any other game. (Maybe this is what they intended :) )

Oh and it's not difficult either! It's just extremely boring, repetitive and unrewarding.

That's my rant over, I'm interested to see if anyone else has similar / different thoughts. Or if there is a way to get excecutions without hitting them 4 or 5 times first I would also like to know :)

xXRyzonXx
10-22-2012, 07:13 AM
I think the AC2 combat was fun at first, but then it got repetive.
I never got tired of killing 10 guards instantly ;) in ACB and ACR.

Free_Hidings
10-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Exactly! In ACB / R, it might not have been particularly challenging but it was fun and rewarding! And AC1 had some challenge but once you mastered it, it gave the greatest sense of achievement. AC2 from the start was never hard, it's just boring. Slash slash slash slash slash.

InfectedNation
10-22-2012, 10:09 AM
AC1 had some challenge but once you mastered it, it gave the greatest sense of achievement.

My thoughts exactly.

generallsj
10-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Agree but in ACR level design for combat took pretty odd especially about Janissaries because it is impossible to play aggressive basically without ranged weapon versus them as the best way is waiting for their attack and avoid then do combos or counter steal then execute.

And in AC2 you can excute everything according to doing block enemy attack then do 2 combos with a sword or a dagger.

Free_Hidings
10-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Agree but in ACR level design for combat took pretty odd especially about Janissaries because it is impossible to play aggressive basically without ranged weapon versus them as the best way is waiting for their attack and avoid then do combos or counter steal then execute.

And in AC2 you can excute everything according to doing block enemy attack then do 2 combos with a sword or a dagger.

Yeah that's why I think Brotherhood was best, it might've been easier but it was much smoother. Revelations was odd, with the Janissaries you pretty much have to counter them, and only attack when they try to shoot, because they dodge or block all your offensive attacks.

Are you serious? So you just block, (Hold R1) then attack 3 times and it will excecute them? Will try it tomorrow, thanks. So sick of slashing away for minimal damage.

Dizlol
10-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Just done replaying AC2, and after being used to ACB and ACR it does get pretty boring! but for its time it was fun!

generallsj
10-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Block then one slash makes distraction then one more it is execution.

Free_Hidings
10-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Just done replaying AC2, and after being used to ACB and ACR it does get pretty boring! but for its time it was fun!

That's true, just seems like backwards progress from AC1! Which to this day I find probably the most enjoyable, aside from the lack of variety in animations.

Block then one slash makes distraction then one more it is execution.

Oh true, well wouldn't you be better off just counter killing? Although I guess some enemies block counters.

AssassinVenice
10-22-2012, 12:37 PM
The key to enjoying AC2's combat is to combo attacks. Just press the attack button right after the attack animation occurs and you'll execute your opponent instantly in just 2-4 hits.

But I have to agree, ACB's combat has been the best so far, with ACR having the best combat animations (flipping a dudes head with a sword! XD)

DinoSteve1
10-22-2012, 12:44 PM
I think the combat in ACB was alot better than AC2 but for me AC2 is still the best game to date. I didn't like the combat in ACR as it had bombs and to me using bombs is not very assassiny.

HisSpiritLives
10-22-2012, 12:46 PM
It wasnt as much fun as in ACB or ACR but i cant say i hate it,to be honest as a big AC fan i cant say i hate single thing about AC series.

generallsj
10-22-2012, 01:00 PM
The way I said or dodge well is the best. However it is not so different with the problem of repeat slash since you have to wait individual enemy attacks that also bad. So now I like slash repeating more, it just need 4 times of slash before execution if you wield a sword(5 times for a dagger, 6 times for hidden blades). Anyway all them are unlikable way so after all I always trying to avoid conflict as you do.

tjbyrum1
10-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Been playing AC1 off and on recently, got to say the combat is a lot more than any AC game so far; AC3 might change that.

It seems to focus on skill and reaction. W hen I first got the game I just stood there and countered, how agonizingly boring. But now I know how to do everything properly. Chain your attacks to execute opponents, grab and throw those who block too much, and counter anyone who tries to interrupt your flow. It offers more challenge and it felt a lot more fun.

DinoSteve1
10-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Its fun chaining together attacks in ACB and ACR, but am I the only one who finds the body count you can achieve a bit ridiculous?

DarkDreamer95
10-22-2012, 02:53 PM
I HATED AC1 combat at first... But now I consider it the best combat in the series ^.^ Brotherhood comes second though. It's only fault is that it's too easy.

zainzombie
10-22-2012, 04:12 PM
I agree with this topic, AC2's combat wasnt as good as Brotherhood/revelations (which is understandable as they are more recent installments) but I think its better than AC1 because there are more enemy types, animations and weapons. Also, we can kill the enemies in AC2 without them blocking with the help of smoke bombs.

Commissar38
10-22-2012, 04:13 PM
ACII had fantastic combat. It was modestly challenging yes, but you did truly feel like Ezio was a badass. But c'mon man those Janissaries in ACR were the worst archetypes in the whole AC series. You couldn't kick them, break their guard, throw them, or even really hit them if their guard was up (which it almost always is) and it takes about what 3-4(?) counter-kills to take one down? Oh and I forgot, they don't even like to swing their sword at you for a counter kill. They'll just back up and shoot you. So AC2 is like a fun holiday compared to fighting all those **** Janissaries in ACR

EDIT: Not to say I didn't enjoy killing them in ACR though.

ACfan443
10-22-2012, 04:16 PM
After playing through brotherhood and revelations, I decided to replay AC1, and damm! The combat was so f****** hard, I was getting owned. AC1 definitely had the most challenging combat, but once it was mastered, it felt very rewarding and satisfying when making a successful kill. AC2's combat was boring IMO, but not bad.

RzaRecta357
10-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Agreed TC. When 2 started up I just wasn't sure about it. Little sparkle on the sword tip....Health bars... No timing to your clicks..

CalgaryJay
10-22-2012, 04:22 PM
I loved the combat at first, with all the sick kills & whatnot, but ya by the end of AC2 plus 2 DLC's, it had gotten old & kinda dull. From the sound of Alex Hutchinson interviews, he realized that & its why its been changed (for the most part anyway) in AC3 to a more aggressive approach. I recall an interview with him a few months ago where he mentioned he wanted the fighting to be more like Batman Arkham City.

I'm quite excited to get a feel for the overhauled fighting in AC3. I'm sure it'll still be easy, but from what I've seen it's definitely more of a challenge than its ever been to date.

8 more days...8 more days..

Free_Hidings
10-22-2012, 09:45 PM
The key to enjoying AC2's combat is to combo attacks. Just press the attack button right after the attack animation occurs and you'll execute your opponent instantly in just 2-4 hits.

But I have to agree, ACB's combat has been the best so far, with ACR having the best combat animations (flipping a dudes head with a sword! XD)

I think you're getting confused with AC1 mate. AC1 had really well implemented timing based combat. In AC2, unless it has a different timing window / my timing is terrible, you can't excecute them without hacking them to pieces first haha. Agreed, ACR had some cool animations, but they were a bit OTT in situations where you were fighting multiple guards and they just watch you do this drawn out crazy stuff.

It wasnt as much fun as in ACB or ACR but i cant say i hate it,to be honest as a big AC fan i cant say i hate single thing about AC series.

Good point, I too am I massive fan (I own all the games + pre ordered AC3) but I guess I would say "relative to every other game, it is by far the worst, most boring combat"

ACII had fantastic combat. It was modestly challenging yes, but you did truly feel like Ezio was a badass. But c'mon man those Janissaries in ACR were the worst archetypes in the whole AC series. You couldn't kick them, break their guard, throw them, or even really hit them if their guard was up (which it almost always is) and it takes about what 3-4(?) counter-kills to take one down? Oh and I forgot, they don't even like to swing their sword at you for a counter kill. They'll just back up and shoot you. So AC2 is like a fun holiday compared to fighting all those **** Janissaries in ACR

EDIT: Not to say I didn't enjoy killing them in ACR though.

The thing is, it wasn't particularly challenging. It's still easy to win fights, but it just takes soo long! Yeah the Janissaries were a mixed bag, I enjoyed the challenge and when you could get those combo streaks going against them it was a cool way to wear them down fast, but they tried to shoot far too often and as you said there's pretty much no way to aggressively kill them. Though one thing you can do is dodge their sword attack then get a few combo hits in, if you have a good weapon it does a decent amount.