PDA

View Full Version : Lack of frame rate improvement after overclocking?

DudleyAz
10-20-2012, 06:21 PM
I just took the plunge and spent the better part of a day overclocking the pc that runs my simpit (http://cnadeau.webs.com/simpitasitsitstoday.htm). The only problem is I'm not seeing any improvement in my frame rates.
:(
I've had the PC for a couple of years, and took an initial try at overclocking when I first built it, but didn't have much luck so I've been running it stock. I've been wanting to get some higher frame rates in DCS A-10C and Cliffs of Dover, so I found this excellent walkthrough (http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/intel-core-i3-i5-and-i7-buyers-guide/) online about overclocking by Miahallen, and I was successful with the overclock, but I'm not seeing any impact in the sims. In CoD I only get 6fps before AND after the overclock (yes a crummy 6fps). I don't get it?? With everything else being the same, seeing a 30%+ OC to the CPU, a 10% OC to memory, and a 10% OC to the GPU, you would think I would see at least a few frames higher performance wouldn't you? :confused:

So I have a few specific questions:
1. Could there be another bottleneck somewhere in the system that would be keeping the frame rates down? If so, how do I address it?
2.Is anyone with a similar setup seeing better framerates than I am in this? I know it's always been a beast, but I should be able to get something better out of it shouldn't I? If I run it on a single screen at 1920x1080 I get a whopping 15fps instead of 6fps in triple screen mode.
3. On the overclocked video cards: I noticed that the Catalyst Control Center Overdrive Panel (where I did the overclocking) says that "The GPU clock settings will only be effective when the GPU is running in high performance mode". I am assuming that this kicks in automatically when the GPU is under load because testing using GPUz does report back that it operates at the overclock settings during the testing. Is there a way to manually set the GPU to use the OC settings all the time just to be sure?
So here are the specs and details of what I've got and what I've done. All input is welcome, not just for me but for anyone else who may struggle with system performance issues (almost sounds like an ad for those little blue pills huh? ).
Thanks,
Dud

PC
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Bloomfield 2.66 Ghz - overclocked now to 3.6Ghz
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283v
Memory: 12Gb (3x4Gb) of G Skill DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 (7-7-7-21 1.5v) overclocked to 1440
PSU: Rosewill RX-950 950watt
GPU1: XFX/Radeon HD 5830 1Gb overclocked to 900Mhz core & 1300Mhz memory driving 3x Benq E2400HD displays, each at 1920x1080 for 5760x1080 triple screen
GPU2: ATI/Radeon HD 4800 1Gb overclocked to 950Mhz core & 1350Mhz memory driving an HP L2105tm touch screen at 1920x1080
Sound: Soundblaster XFI SB0880
HD: 2ea Western Digital Caviar WD6400AAK 640Gb

Sim Settings

Cliffs of Dover (6 fps in triple screen 5760x1080, 15fps in single screen 1920x1080) Same results before/after OC
Steam just updated it to the most current release
Full Screen: on
Detail: very low (interesting note... fps stays the same even if I set it to very high???)
Advanced settings
Model detail: low
Building detail: very low
Land detail: low
Forest: very low
Visual Effects: low
Texture Quality: low
Anti Aliasing: 1
Anti Epilepsy Filter: unchecked
SSAO: unchecked
Vsync: unchecked
Damage decals: low
Building Amount: low
Land Shading: low
Grass: unchecked
Shadows: unchecked
Roads: unchecked

Sorry for the length of the post, but I always see everyone asking for details to troubleshoot issues like this.

FoolTrottel
10-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Bottleneck is probably GPU related.
10% of 6FPS is not much... chances are you don't see it.

As running at lower resolutions up the FPS a lot, me thinks that 5830 is not up to the task.
Though me thinks at 1920x1080 it should be able to do better than just 15FPS.

But, I am not familiar with the ATI video card settings, and I'm not running CLOD that often...

x6BL_Brando
10-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Bottleneck is probably GPU related.
10% of 6FPS is not much... chances are you don't see it.

As running at lower resolutions up the FPS a lot, me thinks that 5830 is not up to the task.
Though me thinks at 1920x1080 it should be able to do better than just 15FPS.

But, I am not familiar with the ATI video card settings, and I'm not running CLOD that often...

I agree with my chum, FT; this model of graphics card is seriously short of 'oomph' for running either Clod or, even, IL2 '46. This http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1334/1/ tells the story. Weak performance along with the pressure of running a triple screen means your f.p.s. is never going to be of much use for Clod.
As for overclocking, well it doesn't count for much at these low levels. 10% of not very much is still not very much - somewhere between 0.6 and 1.5 frames per second.

Secondly, and maybe more importantly, where is the second GPU located? I see that the motherboard has 2xPCiE 16 slots, capable of Crossfire(ATI) or SLI(nVidia), but Crossfire relies on having two or more similar cards using a physical link, a Crossfire ribbon. I don't think that having two cards in these slots, unconnected, doing separate tasks is going to be very helpful. In fact this may be causing conflict of the fps lowering kind. I suggest you remove the second card (if it is mounted on the same mobo) and re-test just using a single monitor with the 5830.

Bottom line is still that the 5830 is not really ballsy enough for Clod.