PDA

View Full Version : I feel that AC is trying to accommodate too many players.

JCearlyyears
10-20-2012, 03:24 PM
I feel like some of the things in assassin's creed have been dumbed down to accommodate more players. I don't think that it's a good idea... You can't please everyone, and if you try, the game will turn out too general and wont feel unique. What do you think? Generalize to appeal more, or become unique to maintain a near constant audience?

Jexx21
10-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Please give me some examples of "dumbed down" mechanics. Because in AC3, I see none.

People can argue that some mechanics in Skyrim are dumbed down (which I disagree with), but I don't think that's even possible with AC3.

rileypoole1234
10-20-2012, 03:33 PM
I would agree if you were talking about ACR, but I think AC3 has even more advanced mechanics than AC2, ACB, and ACR.

Obviously Ubi wants more people to play their games. I want more people to play their games. I really don't think it's dumbed down though.

De Filosoof
10-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Agreed. I think AC's uniqueness will perish once it gains more and more popularity with the mainstream masses.
This is why i think AC3 will most likely be my last AC game.
They already killed off subject 16's character, most likely because of the complex and controversial stuff that isn't very popular among the masses.

I want to remember the AC franchise as the franchise that was different from other games with its own unique eerie atmosphere and complex storyline, not as a brilliant game that once again turned into just another bleak hollywood action game.

They've already targeted a completely different audience with their pro-American marketing strategies, and those people are most likely the ones that want to get rid of the more complex and deeper stuff like conspiracies, TWCB storyline etc.

That kinda game wouldn't be an AC game for me.

xx-pyro
10-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I honestly don't see a single way in which any of the games have been dumbed down from the previous installment. AC3 most of all looks to be the most complex of the series from what I've seen. ACR just had less to do than AC2 or ACB, that's not dumbed down that's simply time constrictions that the developers had.

That aside, the simpler a games mechanics are the better in my opinion, I don't need convoluted controls and systems that aren't easy to follow, complexity should be in other parts of the game such as the story, the mechanics of the game should be simple to understand and difficult to master- which is what they are aiming for. Whether or not they succeed at this with AC3 is up for judgement.

pacmanate
10-20-2012, 03:39 PM
I think AC3 is the most innovative AC game yet..

JCearlyyears
10-20-2012, 03:43 PM
AC3 seems to be doing a good job at appealing to more people by being different, which is a good thing, but one thing they did that bothered me is that they said that they simplified the story. The story is one of the best parts about AC, simplifying it is a horrible idea. I don't want them to needlessly complex the same content, but if there is a better, deeper story, than that is good, so I actually don't even know what they mean, but if they mean that the story is shallow, that sucks.

C3G Jester
10-20-2012, 03:50 PM
What do you mean by dumbed down????? From what I have seen and heard from the developers. They made it even more challenging than the previous AC games. They said that the enemies will be able to attack you at the same time. If u look at the other games, only one attack you at a time. AC3 is expected (And I think it has it) to allow 2 enemies to hit you at the same time. And from what I saw of the E3 gameplay, looks like the Britishs have a chance to shoot you so that means if you dont do a specific maneuver, you have a chance of getting shot. So from what I just explained, I say AC3 is the most challenging to date and that means it have not been "dumbed down"

JCearlyyears
10-20-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm not saying AC3 is dumbed down, but I mean for the future,do you think they would and should simplify the game?

De Filosoof
10-20-2012, 04:03 PM
I'm not saying AC3 is dumbed down, but I mean for the future,do you think they would and should simplify the game?

Like i said in my previous post, they most likely will, but i think they shouldn't do it.
But hey, who am i to say...I'm just a ******* who loved the franchise from the very beginning.

JCearlyyears
10-20-2012, 04:10 PM
I've been a fan of the game since I first saw it. I hope that Ubi never betrays us.

Jexx21
10-20-2012, 04:10 PM
Agreed. I think AC's uniqueness will perish once it gains more and more popularity with the mainstream masses.
They already killed off subject 16's character, most likely because of the complex and controversial stuff that isn't very popular among the masses.

I want to remember the AC franchise as the franchise that was different from other games with its own unique eerie atmosphere and complex storyline, not as a brilliant game that once again turned into just another bleak hollywood action game.

They've already targeted a completely different audience with their pro-American marketing strategies, and those people are most likely the ones that want to get rid of the more complex and deeper stuff like conspiracies, TWCB storyline etc.

The removal of Subject 16 doesn't mean they're getting rid of the complex and controversial stuff.
And they aren't really targeting a different audience, they're just taking precautions to make sure that sensationalist news broadcasts don't make a big deal out of the game.

Assassin's Creed is primarily about conspiracies, I doubt that they would remove that, as removing that is taking away the Assassin's Creed from Assassin's Creed.

I doubt they would do that, especially since UbiSoft is still breaking lines with their other titles. See Far Cry 3 and it's frontal nudity.

F4H bandicoot
10-20-2012, 04:15 PM
As long as they keep the 'hardcore' fans happy with things like glyphs, conspiracies, all that, then I don't see what the real issue would be with them expanding the audience, as it is, things like free running, combat etc. are all pretty easy anyway, and that's not really makes the game truly unique. As long as things like the Glyphs (In various guises), hidden conspiracy stuff is left in for the fans that enjoy that stuff (Which I imagine is a lot) then imo there wouldn't really be an issue.
There hasn't really been all that much change with how the game plays since AC2 (arguably 1), it's just picked up a lot of new fans. If they were to take the game and do the equivalent of what Bioware did with Me3 (removing the vast majority of stuff that made the previous games what they were, and adding not much) then I imagine fans would be very upset.

A simpler story is not necessarily a worse one either, the main historical stories are usually not that complex anyway, the modern one isn't either, it's just harder to follow (imo)

FinalJ1
10-20-2012, 04:18 PM

Ignorance is bliss for one, but torture for others. Alexander The Great

The things we regret most in life are the risks we never take. My grandmother

I live by these two quotes everyday and I believe that's how they approached the make
making of this game.

De Filosoof
10-20-2012, 04:18 PM
The removal of Subject 16 doesn't mean they're getting rid of the complex and controversial stuff.
And they aren't really targeting a different audience, they're just taking precautions to make sure that sensationalist news broadcasts don't make a big deal out of the game.

Assassin's Creed is primarily about conspiracies, I doubt that they would remove that, as removing that is taking away the Assassin's Creed from Assassin's Creed.

I doubt they would do that, especially since UbiSoft is still breaking lines with their other titles. See Far Cry 3 and it's frontal nudity.

I really hope what you're saying is true mate, but i'm kinda skeptical when it comes down to this kinda stuff. It happened too many times before.
Money is a powerful thing. Almost like the apple of eden, very hard to resist.

BBALive
10-20-2012, 04:27 PM

Except AC is already extremely popular with the mainstream masses.

Jexx21
10-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Assassin's Creed became popular with the mainstream with AC2, honestly.

F4H bandicoot
10-20-2012, 04:29 PM
I really hope what you're saying is true mate, but i'm kinda skeptical when it comes down to this kinda stuff. It happened too many times before.
Money is a powerful thing. Almost like the apple of eden, very hard to resist.

I'm pretty sure that they have already said that glyphs are in this game in some form.

De Filosoof
10-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm pretty sure that they have already said that glyphs are in this game in some form.

Yeah, i already know in what kinda form.
i guess we'll have to wait and see.
I really hope the level of mystery will blow me away in AC3 :D.

Jexx21
10-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Wait, in what form will the glyphs be in? Is that why you're dissapointed?

De Filosoof
10-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Wait, in what form will the glyphs be in? Is that why you're dissapointed?

Wait, i'll send you a PM because it's kinda spoilerish i think.

Slayer_WTF
10-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Dude, this what happens from the time of AC2.

The only true and pure AC is the first. :D

tjbyrum1
10-20-2012, 04:38 PM
The combat is harder.