PDA

View Full Version : The Nexus of Time/Revelations Ending [SPOILERS]

The Machine 407
10-15-2012, 10:06 PM
I recently completed Revelations (AMAZING game, regardless of what i'd heard beforehand. Amazing story.) and I'm a little confused on something.

The Nexus of Time. What is it? It seems like everyone thinks that the synch nexus and the nexus of time are the same thing, but in my mind they are totally unrelated. A synch nexus was the result of Desmond completing his ancestors memories, therefore bringing together 3 separate psychs that the animus could separate and bring him out of a coma. That part, I understood. What I didn't understand was how Desmond got into the nexus of time, or what the nexus really is. It wasn't explained AT ALL in-game, and nobody seems to see this, or care.

I'm extremely analytical, so this might just be a little crazy, but it's bothering me, a lot.

naran6142
10-15-2012, 10:14 PM
When ezio tells desmond to listen, he means listen to the message from TWCB from the apple

The Machine 407
10-15-2012, 10:19 PM
That's what I was thinking. So, The Nexus of Time was just the Animus, and Jupiter just wasn't familiar with using it to communicate with the future, like Minerva.

That would mean that the Desmond projection was from the Apple, and that Jupiter was talking to Ezio the entire time, although we were just shown Desmond as a plot device, because Ezio had realized moments before that he was just a conduit for the message.

Also, I think the Apple altered the library to look like the golden area in which the message was given. Does all this sound correct?

TheDanteEX
10-15-2012, 11:09 PM
It sounds all correct to me, in fact, you've mentioned things I hadn't really thought of before. As Ezio knew Desmond was listening, he must have expected a message from The Ones Who Came Before, in which case he told Desmond to listen. So it's very possible Jupiter was actually talking to Ezio, but Desmond was shown to make it more clear he was receiving the message. Similar to Ezio placing his hand on Desmond. He didn't actually do it, I've assumed, it's only for clarity.

twenty_glyphs
10-15-2012, 11:25 PM
You're right, it was never explained in the game. Subject 16 said that Desmond needed to continue experiencing his ancestor's memories until they had nothing left to show him in order for the Animus to be able to separate their personalities better. Whether that means until Ezio had nothing important left to show Desmond or that Desmond needed to relive Ezio's life until close to the moment when Ezio passed on his genetic memory to his child that led to Desmond is unclear. Also, how Alta´r factored into that is unclear. Clearly Desmond had already seen almost everything Alta´r could show him, since we know that Alta´r conceived the child that led to Desmond shortly after the memories that Desmond viewed in AC1. Was it just luck that Desmond saw more of Alta´r's life through Ezio and that helped him reach a Sync Nexus? Or was that just secondary story stuff more important to Ezio, and Desmond simply needed to finish Ezio's memories? Who knows, but it seems to me that living more of Ezio's life allowed Desmond to reach the Sync Nexus that let him wake up from his coma.

As for the Nexus of Time, I think that's something completely different. Whereas the messages from Minerva and Juno seem to be pre-recorded with the ability to interact with the viewer, the message from Jupiter appears to be Jupiter talking to Desmond "live", as it were. He even refers to it as a place, making me think both he and Desmond were transported there to communicate. Taking into account some of the things that were said in interviews before Revelations came out, I think that the convergence of Alta´r, Ezio and Desmond in that moment in Alta´r's library let Jupiter open up some kind of direct communication with Desmond across time. Jupiter mentioned the calculations, which makes me think he had to calculate the right moment to target, perhaps similar to how Minerva calculated the right time to contact an ancestor of Desmond to make sure he got her message.

naran6142
10-15-2012, 11:37 PM
You're right, it was never explained in the game. Subject 16 said that Desmond needed to continue experiencing his ancestor's memories until they had nothing left to show him in order for the Animus to be able to separate their personalities better. Whether that means until Ezio had nothing important left to show Desmond or that Desmond needed to relive Ezio's life until close to the moment when Ezio passed on his genetic memory to his child that led to Desmond is unclear. Also, how Alta´r factored into that is unclear. Clearly Desmond had already seen almost everything Alta´r could show him, since we know that Alta´r conceived the child that led to Desmond shortly after the memories that Desmond viewed in AC1. Was it just luck that Desmond saw more of Alta´r's life through Ezio and that helped him reach a Sync Nexus? Or was that just secondary story stuff more important to Ezio, and Desmond simply needed to finish Ezio's memories? Who knows, but it seems to me that living more of Ezio's life allowed Desmond to reach the Sync Nexus that let him wake up from his coma.

As for the Nexus of Time, I think that's something completely different. Whereas the messages from Minerva and Juno seem to be pre-recorded with the ability to interact with the viewer, the message from Jupiter appears to be Jupiter talking to Desmond "live", as it were. He even refers to it as a place, making me think both he and Desmond were transported there to communicate. Taking into account some of the things that were said in interviews before Revelations came out, I think that the convergence of Alta´r, Ezio and Desmond in that moment in Alta´r's library let Jupiter open up some kind of direct communication with Desmond across time. Jupiter mentioned the calculations, which makes me think he had to calculate the right moment to target, perhaps similar to how Minerva calculated the right time to contact an ancestor of Desmond to make sure he got her message.

Well i agree with you on just about everything there, except I don't know what Altair, Ezio and Desmond being in the same room has to do with reaching this nexus considering Altair is dead at this point :p

Anyways i just figured it was through the apple... that's why the apple told Altair to build the library so TWCB would have an exact position when it was activated...

Of course this raises the question of why not just give Desmond the message at the Vatican or Colosseum

Evenesque
10-16-2012, 02:31 AM
Well i agree with you on just about everything there, except I don't know what Altair, Ezio and Desmond being in the same room has to do with reaching this nexus considering Altair is dead at this point :p

Anyways i just figured it was through the apple... that's why the apple told Altair to build the library so TWCB would have an exact position when it was activated...

Of course this raises the question of why not just give Desmond the message at the Vatican or Colosseum

It's not just the fact that they're in the same room. It's the fact that the reason for them being in that room causes all of them to know the same information. Up until Desmond relived that memory, only Ezio and Altair had known that message. Desmond had to relive Ezio's memory which was a message to him so they could all be caught up on what the apple said.

twenty_glyphs
10-16-2012, 04:11 AM

Anyways i just figured it was through the apple... that's why the apple told Altair to build *the library so TWCB would have an exact position when it was activated...*

It's not that all three were in the same room (Desmond was never in that room anyway). It's that they kind of "met" each other there and their lives sort of converged. Ezio experiences Alta´r's memory of his death, which Alta´r knew someone would watch one day. Desmond experiences this memory while Ezio knows that Desmond is watching somehow.

Meanwhile, the Apple likely did lead Alta´r to build the library and store it. It activated when Ezio got there and likely reminded him of Desmond. I actually think that only Desmond saw Jupiter's message, which answers the question of why not give Desmond that message earlier. It's because only Desmond saw this message because it was delivered directly to him across time.

Meanwhile, we know that Abstergo knew the content of Minerva's message to Desmond in the Vatican Vault in 2002 as shown in The Chain. This final message from Jupiter was probably the most important one that TWCB couldn't afford for Abstergo to find, so they made sure that only Desmond saw it. I even have the feeling that Minerva meant for Abstergo to find her message to Desmond so they would kidnap him and set his whole journey in motion.

Jexx21
10-16-2012, 04:30 AM
Ezio knew that he was just the conduit for a message, and he knew that the message was meant for Desmond. Once he began talking, the Apple probably recognized what he was saying (hell, Jupiter probably saw him saying this), and then projected the image of Desmond in front of Ezio, and then Ezio knew that the message was probably going to be passed on. So he told Desmond to listen, because the message is important.

I think that both Ezio and Altair saw this message, but saw it through the image of Desmond.

DeSabellis
10-16-2012, 04:03 PM
I think your leaving out a better big factor in all of this: the sixth sense that humans lacked that Desmond and most of his ancestors had. It's Eagle Vision, to a degree, but it's deeper than that. Imagine if we had sixth senses, and most importantly, how do you describe sight without experiencing it? You can't. Regardless, it has something to do with a different perception of time.

Evenesque
10-16-2012, 04:33 PM
, and most importantly, how do you describe sight without experiencing it? You can't.

The reflection of light and it's interpretation into the back of the eye relayed and flipped in one's brain....?

AdrianJacek
10-16-2012, 05:24 PM
It's not that all three were in the same room (Desmond was never in that room anyway). It's that they kind of "met" each other there and their lives sort of converged. Ezio experiences Alta´r's memory of his death, which Alta´r knew someone would watch one day. Desmond experiences this memory while Ezio knows that Desmond is watching somehow.

Meanwhile, the Apple likely did lead Alta´r to build the library and store it. It activated when Ezio got there and likely reminded him of Desmond. I actually think that only Desmond saw Jupiter's message, which answers the question of why not give Desmond that message earlier. It's because only Desmond saw this message because it was delivered directly to him across time.

Meanwhile, we know that Abstergo knew the content of Minerva's message to Desmond in the Vatican Vault in 2002 as shown in The Chain. This final message from Jupiter was probably the most important one that TWCB couldn't afford for Abstergo to find, so they made sure that only Desmond saw it. I even have the feeling that Minerva meant for Abstergo to find her message to Desmond so they would kidnap him and set his whole journey in motion.

That was pretty much the whole point of Revelations - to relay the message in complete isolation. As far as we know Abstergo has no idea about the Grand Temple. They do know where the team is though.(possibly through learning about the private jet and then using the cell towers again) They know where they are but they don't know what we're doing there.
Also we already know that whatever Lucy said about Templars not knowing ANYTHING about the temples was complete BS (as it was also confirmed through The Chain and Abstergo Files in ACR).

DeSabellis
10-16-2012, 06:20 PM
The reflection of light and it's interpretation into the back of the eye relayed and flipped in one's brain....?

Hardy har... now describe red to a person blind from birth. Being sardonic isn't the same as being observant. The point of the post wasn't for you to demonstrate that you can find a definition in a textbook, it was to illustrate the fact that possibly, it was all actually occurring at once, rather than simply being a message in the past, because in a difference in how time is perceived. After all, it's believable because, how else would they have been able to predict the future (i.e. know of Desmond, Ezio, the animus, etc.)?

Jexx21
10-16-2012, 06:23 PM
That was pretty much the whole point of Revelations - to relay the message in complete isolation. As far as we know Abstergo has no idea about the Grand Temple. They do know where the team is though.(possibly through learning about the private jet and then using the cell towers again) They know where they are but they don't know what we're doing there.
Also we already know that whatever Lucy said about Templars not knowing ANYTHING about the temples was complete BS (as it was also confirmed through The Chain and Abstergo Files in ACR).

Leandros knew about the Grand Temple existing.. Abstergo probably knows that it exists, if it doesn't know the location (given in the Pythagorean temple)

The Machine 407
10-16-2012, 08:35 PM
I also think it's important to remember that Minerva had said that we "couldn't comprehend" her kind, back then or present day. It could be that this just defies the human ability to comprehend and explain, even though personally I think the way we have it described here is correct.

Another thing that's been bugging me is the Da Vinci dlc from Brotherhood. I played it after the main story, so I got the William Miles "missing data" dialogue. How in the world did WIlliam know that Ezio would find those coordinates, at that time, and how did he know where they would lead? It sounded like he knew exactly what he was looking for beforehand, which is unlikely, in my opinion.