PDA

View Full Version : Assassins creed 3: settings to visit next [WhatCulture! article]

freddie_1897
10-12-2012, 06:28 PM
http://whatculture.com/gaming/after-assassins-creed-3-10-historical-periods-ubisoft-should-visit-next.php/11

some of these ideas are good. some, i just can't even begin to talk about how awful they are

GreatBeyonder
10-12-2012, 07:02 PM
I don't think this person checked out the wiki before making this list.

1. Japan-They've already said this setting would be too cliched.
2. Ancient Rome-They already touched on this in Brotherhood.
3. Hunnic Empire- Attila actually had a POE and we really don't spend much time in that part of Europe, so this idea's not so bad.
4. The Russian Revolution-Comics already handle ths one.
5. Medieval England-I think this one would feel too close to the Crusade setting, so I don't really see the appeal...
6. Spanish Armada-This is actually a neat choice, I think, especially as we all want to know how Elizabeth obtained Altair's POE....
7. Salem Witch Trials-This is an odd choice, because every angle I can think of was addressed in either Discovery or AC3. (Methinks)
8. WWI-Maybe, especially has it gets far less attention than the second one and had some neat ideas I think would be good. WWII-Already ruled out.
9. The Cold War-This is such a broad setting, I expect we'll run into some form of it one day.
10. The War on Terror-Uh, no. Just no. Maybe in a few decades when the emotion dies down.

True_Assassin92
10-12-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm all in for the Spanish Armada. I think this context would be quite interesting with the war against England. :D

there76
10-12-2012, 07:13 PM
1. Japan- already said no

2. Ancient Rome- Would be interesting, but we probably won't see such a setting so soon after having two in Italy.

3. Hunnic- they wasn't any real cities made by the huns, wouldn't really work.

4, Russian Revolution- Already been done in the comics, would be interesting to go to Ivan the terrible, or Peter the Greats Russia.

5. Medieval England- Victorian will feel more different then this period.

6. Spanish Armada would be interesting I suppose, but it seems to close to Ezio's time.

7. Salem Witch trial- We are already doing America in this one. The only difference would be that we be getting a village instead of city.

8-10 Too modern, wouldn't work with the series.

Assassin_M
10-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Witch trials for the win..

I actually had that Idea a couple of years ago and I think I made a thread about it, how the alleged witches accidentally found Pieces of Eden..

War on terror ? Historical ? WHAT ??

kuled2012
10-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Alex Hutchinson mentioned India I believe? ...Personally though I think the series should end. I think it would lose it's charm. Through AC1-ACR it's been built up for 21st December 2012 and for Desmond to save mankind....I expect AC 3 to be the end of that..I wouldn't like it if they would continue..Maybe an exception if the build something massive like AC3 but yeah..I think they should end it.

Assassin_M
10-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Alex Hutchinson mentioned India I believe? ...Personally though I think the series should end. I think it would lose it's charm. Through AC1-ACR it's been built up for 21st December 2012 and for Desmond to save mankind....I expect AC 3 to be the end of that..I wouldn't like it if they would continue..Maybe an exception if the build something massive like AC3 but yeah..I think they should end it.
Dont buy anything after AC III.. -__-

Why end it ? That is just flawed logic.. Charm ? I`m having fun Bs I don't give a crap..

ACfan443
10-12-2012, 07:24 PM

Why end it ? That is just flawed logic.. Charm ? I`m having fun Bs I don't give a crap..

It's not flawed logic, it's his opinion.

stingray10
10-12-2012, 07:25 PM
I would like to see it go to Ancient Greece, or the Russian Revolution, i think they could offer something exciting in terms of art direction and location.

Assassin_M
10-12-2012, 07:28 PM
It's not flawed logic, it's his opinion.
When his Opinion infringes on mine, I think its called flawed logic..

Because what if Ubisoft listens to him ? (A less than 1% chance) And the series ends ? I wanted more and he did not, Why tell them to end it ? Just don't buy it..

BBALive
10-12-2012, 07:33 PM
1. Japan - I wouldn't actually mind feudal Japan. I would prefer China though.
2. Ancient Rome - Has already been touched upon in the comic, so I think Ancient Greece or Ancient Egypt would be better choices. Not saying it wouldn't be cool though.
3. Hunnic Empire - I like it.
4. Russian Revolution - Has already been touched upon, and I feel it might be too modern. Long-range combat would take priority over melee. The Crimean War or the Franco-Prussian War are superior choices in my opinion.
5. Medieval England - A different time period in England would be a better choice. We've had 4 games set in the middle ages.
6. Spanish Armada - Nah. I think a whole game based around the Naval aspects would be too much. The Spanish colonisation of the Americas would be better in my opinion.
7.Salem Witch Trials - Eh. I don't think it would work.
8. World War I/II - No.
9. Cold War - No.
10. The War on Terror - What am I reading?

rileypoole1234
10-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm still and advocate for Victorian London. Out of their list I would have to pick Spanish Armada.

kuled2012
10-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Not an option, I'm a fanboy :p I don't know..I just hope they don't end up milking the series is what I meant to say.

Assassin_M
10-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Not an option, I'm a fanboy :p I don't know..I just hope they don't end up milking the series is what I meant to say.
Ah, Now.. We are in agreement... I certainly hope for no milking, I hope they try their best with any game after this one

ACfan443
10-12-2012, 08:35 PM
When his Opinion infringes on mine, I think its called flawed logic..

Because what if Ubisoft listens to him ? (A less than 1% chance) And the series ends ? I wanted more and he did not, Why tell them to end it ? Just don't buy it..

But you shouldn't call it 'flawed logic' it ends up sounding like you're calling him dumb. It's more respectable to say I disagree because...

They milked the series a looong time ago :p

Sgt_Alistair
10-12-2012, 11:28 PM
WW2 could work.But since they created this awesomesauce engine for line battles,i think Napoleonic Wars would be a nice era for another Assassins.

kriegerdesgottes
10-13-2012, 12:29 AM
I still want my French Revolution game. Then I'll be happy.

BlankDistortion
10-13-2012, 12:51 AM
Yeah, uh, French Revolution game, and Civil War for me, as long as they do it right.

ze_topazio
10-13-2012, 12:57 AM
The War On Terror

This one would have to be handled very specifically to fit the bill, but the idea of a game pitting a modern special ops assassin in deep cover in either Afghanistan or Iraq on the clandestine trail of terrorist leaders , and the atmospheric implications of those settings is a hugely intriguing one. Ignoring modern open warfare, and the heavy weaponry of modern shooters in order to preserve the stealth aspects of the game, and dilute the likelihood of the game devolving into a Call of Duty clone with a brain, the protagonist could be a one-man tactical force, taking out specific high-priority targets in the hills and valleys of the Middle Eastern setting, armed with mostly non-ballistic weaponry (though perhaps with access to small arms at key points for limited time).

The priority would be creating a gameplay experience that prioritised close quarters combat and deep stealth play, but there is no reason that wouldn’t work in a more modern setting, with embedded opponents and the intriguing environments of those war arenas.

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/120918/281r1/0521fhm_20.jpeg

Free_Hidings
10-13-2012, 01:03 AM
I honestly sincerely hope for Japan. Can't understand why they aren't keen, it is the perfect setting. Anything more modern than the American revolution is going to turn into MGS or COD or whatever. No doubt Ubisoft could make it into a great and unique game, but I prefer the old school hand to hand gameplay of Assassin's Creed, that's what brought me here in the first place. I want Fuedal Japan. Cavemans Creed would also make for an interesting spin off :P

EDIT:

2 other eras I would love are

- Ancient Egypt (Pharoahs, pyramids, tombs, etc etc, would be a great fit for AC)

- Whatever Era it is with Gladiators. I guess this is in Rome again so not likely at all, but futher in the past.. But any era with gladiators would be awesome. The story could lead you into the arena to fight for your life, you could be freeing gladiators and slaves, etc etc.

BlankDistortion
10-13-2012, 01:21 AM
I honestly sincerely hope for Japan. Can't understand why they aren't keen, it is the perfect setting. Anything more modern than the American revolution is going to turn into MGS or COD or whatever. No doubt Ubisoft could make it into a great and unique game, but I prefer the old school hand to hand gameplay of Assassin's Creed, that's what brought me here in the first place. I want Fuedal Japan. Cavemans Creed would also make for an interesting spin off :P

Japan has a very predictable and repetitive building design and pattern for cities, but the other bits of Japan sound pretty fun I think. I don't really agree about your MGS or COD statement though. I believe both the Civil War and the French Revolution are great areas to work with on Assassin's Creed, and very unique in comparison to other games. A World War 1 idea sounds decent, but I am not saying that is what I want so much. In your idea for Caveman's Creed, I did end up thinking about the whole Adam and Eve thing. The templar order more or less started with Cain, so maybe you are on to something with that. I don't know, maybe more modern, even if that was a joke, it seems interesting to a point.

dxsxhxcx
10-13-2012, 01:34 AM
Setting: Russia;
Ancestor: Nikolai's father;

:)

BBALive
10-13-2012, 01:39 AM
http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/120918/281r1/0521fhm_20.jpeg

The "War on Terror" paragraph doesn't really describe MGS3.

CalgaryJay
10-13-2012, 02:44 AM
I would like to see it go to Ancient Greece.

Would love to see this. Either Classical, or even in the Hellenistic age, revolving around Alexander's exploits. That way you could have excuses to run around any combo of ancient Athens, Thebes, Persepolis, Babylon, Susa, Tyre, Troy, Memphis/Siwa in Egypt and the founding of Alexandria there, India & the crossing of the Hindu Kush.. man that'd be awesome. So much cool stuff to climb.

De Filosoof
10-13-2012, 01:24 PM
10. The War On Terror

http://cdn.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Afghan-War.jpg (http://whatculture.com/gaming/after-assassins-creed-3-10-time-periods-ubisoft-should-visit-next-2.php/attachment/afghan-war)
This one would have to be handled very specifically to fit the bill, but the idea of a game pitting a modern special ops assassin in deep cover in either Afghanistan or Iraq on the clandestine trail of terrorist leaders , and the atmospheric implications of those settings is a hugely intriguing one. Ignoring modern open warfare, and the heavy weaponry of modern shooters in order to preserve the stealth aspects of the game, and dilute the likelihood of the game devolving into a Call of Duty clone with a brain, the protagonist could be a one-man tactical force, taking out specific high-priority targets in the hills and valleys of the Middle Eastern setting, armed with mostly non-ballistic weaponry (though perhaps with access to small arms at key points for limited time).

HAHAHAHAHA
Yeah, let's kill those evil terrorists assassin's style LOL.

Horrible....

hadarm18
10-13-2012, 02:02 PM
French Revolution,Napoleonic wars??

i would love to see a game in that time period

pacmanate
10-13-2012, 02:36 PM
I really want Victorian England. Someone posted some artwork of Victorian England a while back and it screamed AC at my face. Only problem is the British accent, it would annoy the CRAP out of me. And the buildings would be very tightly packed as well.

HisSpiritLives
10-13-2012, 04:42 PM
I am not 100% sure which one but i am sure i dont want to see WW1 or WW2 it wont fit in AC series and expect that WW2 was theme that is setting for so many games and i surely dont want AC to become Action>Shooter.
And somebody mentioned that they should end series, wtf? There are so more important historical periods that i want to see in AC.

HisSpiritLives
10-13-2012, 04:44 PM
French Revolution,Napoleonic wars??

i would love to see a game in that time period

I think that this article was refering to next numbered AC game(AC4) and for next game 2013 i am pretty sure we will see Connor in French revolution.

RagingDragon14
10-13-2012, 04:52 PM
I really liked the Victorian England idea from this thread: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/247212-Assassin-s-Creed-3-Creative-Discussion-Forums

HisSpiritLives
10-13-2012, 04:57 PM
I really liked the Victorian England idea from this thread: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/247212-Assassin-s-Creed-3-Creative-Discussion-Forums

It would be nice.

BlankDistortion
10-13-2012, 04:58 PM
You know, if we played a do get that spin-off, the French Revolution comes up with a lot of great things. I think Lafayette was confirmed for AC3, and he played a big role in the French Revolution as well, so we know we have someone to back us up maybe. That is assuming he will take his sexy boat all the way to France to be a part of that.

pacmanate
10-13-2012, 05:16 PM
You know, if we played a do get that spin-off, the French Revolution comes up with a lot of great things. I think Lafayette was confirmed for AC3, and he played a big role in the French Revolution as well, so we know we have someone to back us up maybe. That is assuming he will take his sexy boat all the way to France to be a part of that.

Ughh French Accents!

HisSpiritLives
10-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Ughh French Accents!

I wouldnt mind it much.

pacmanate
10-13-2012, 05:54 PM
I wouldnt mind it much.

Its these old school accents I don't like.

I hate the British accent the most, the old posh way. Even though I still think Victorian England would be amazing.

HisSpiritLives
10-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Its these old school accents I don't like.

I hate the British accent the most, the old posh way. Even though I still think Victorian England would be amazing.

And you are from UK and you hate it the most :)

pacmanate
10-13-2012, 05:57 PM
And you are from UK and you hate it the most :)

Thanks for noticing haha. Unless the game had a protagonist that wasn't from a wealthy family we would be fine because he wouldnt have the posh accent.
Same goes for a French Protagonist, if it was some young posh kid I could imagine him really cocky.

HisSpiritLives
10-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks for noticing haha. Unless the game had a protagonist that wasn't from a wealthy family we would be fine because he wouldnt have the posh accent.
Same goes for a French Protagonist, if it was some young posh kid I could imagine him really cocky.

Ezio was from wealthy family but he wasnt cocky,maybe this one will be from very wealthy family ,royal one.

there76
10-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Has anyone suggested Ancient Greece?

HisSpiritLives
10-13-2012, 06:06 PM

It would be nice but i think they have still space for going forward and then they can get back on Ancient civilisations.

CalgaryJay
10-13-2012, 06:07 PM

Ya I couldn't see them doing French Revolution as a whole new numbered title, seeing as III's set only a few years prior. But I can totally see it being one of the III spin-offs. I would also be down with Victorian England.

And just to what was mentioned in pg.1, but I'm glad Hutchinson would never consider Feudal Japan/China. It's definitely a cool setting, but like WWII, its sooo overdone in video games. Dynasty Warriors, etc etc. Been there, done that, let's move on to somewhere fresh..

Ya a couple times in this thread already, including myself in post #24. I agree, it would be very cool.

pacmanate
10-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Ya I couldn't see them doing French Revolution as a whole new numbered title, seeing as III's set only a few years prior. But I can totally see it being one of the III spin-offs. I would also be down with Victorian England.

And just to what was mentioned in pg.1, but I'm glad Hutchinson would never consider Feudal Japan/China. It's definitely a cool setting, but its sooo overdone. Dynasty Warriors, etc etc. Been there, done that, let's move on to somewhere fresh..

That just reminded me of something, didn't they say they always want to go somewhere that hasn't been explored in other games?

stingray10
10-13-2012, 06:10 PM
It would be nice but i think they have still space for going forward and then they can get back on Ancient civilisations.

To be honest, i thik they will go back in time, they quoted that they don't necessarily have to go forwards so i think India which was hinted at could be the next game. I imagine that they would go to the surrounding coutnries such as China and Pakistan possibly.

HisSpiritLives
10-13-2012, 06:11 PM
To be honest, i thik they will go back in time, they quoted that they don't necessarily have to go forwards so i think India which was hinted at could be the next game. I imagine that they would go to the surrounding coutnries such as China and Pakistan possibly.

Well i wonder where they will let us know when next one is coming out,and what it is about :p

CalgaryJay
10-13-2012, 06:33 PM
That just reminded me of something, didn't they say they always want to go somewhere that hasn't been explored in other games?

Yes I believe you're right. I love how Ubi does this.

I was just thinking, if we're talking whole new numbered titles, it could be almost anywhere. But if we're just talking Connor spin-offs, I'm actually having trouble picturing French Revolution now, just because he's set as such a "rural" character. Bows/arrows/tomahawks on the streets of 18th century Paris? Just seems out of place. Plus the spin-offs seem to piggy back off the numbered title's engine, and after creating such a massive natural map (Frontier), I could see them wanting to still use something like that for the rest of the III spin-offs, which probably wouldn't work in 18th century, highly populated western Europe.

Which makes me think it'd stay in the Americas. But when/where? Civil War would be cool, but probably way too late for Connor, seeing as its 80 years later. War of 1812 could work (and then you could create 18th century Montreal, Toronto, Quebec), but its kind of an insignificant war across the world. Hell, even most Canadians / Americans don't know much about it, or can even agree on who won (both sides claim they did). So it may not be a good choice, tough to think of a setting here that'd work around this time period.

I guess they always could just ditch the Frontier aspect in the spin-offs and head back to Europe, but I could just see them not wanting to do this, after working so hard on it.

Black_Widow9
10-13-2012, 10:20 PM
10. The War On Terror

http://cdn.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Afghan-War.jpg (http://whatculture.com/gaming/after-assassins-creed-3-10-time-periods-ubisoft-should-visit-next-2.php/attachment/afghan-war)

HAHAHAHAHA
Yeah, let's kill those evil terrorists assassin's style LOL.

Horrible....
Exactly.

Let's make sure this Topic continues about the article and doesn't turn into another one of these- http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/662609, or I'll have to lock it. ;)