PDA

View Full Version : Why do fans prefer the story of AC2?

BATISTABUS
10-09-2012, 06:22 AM
I often hear fans of the series say that AC2 had their favorite story...and I could not agree less. In fact, it is my least favorite story out of all the main console games. I loved Ezio, his growth, and the side characters, but I just found most of the conflict going on to be very forgettable 2 years after playing it, and even now after beating the game 2 weeks ago. That, and I just found the stories from the other games far more interesting.

If AC2 is your favorite, why? I didn't dislike it, I just think its clearly the worst. Maybe I'm missing something.

Also, here are my favorite stories from favorite to least favorite. I'd like to read your lists and explanations too!

AC1 - It really illustrated the similarities between the Assassins and Templars, and challenged me to decide which was the "correct" method (if there was one at all). Altair had fantastic growth (the impact of which was unfortunately weakened by the choice of voice-actor), and the rest of the cast was really memorable. The story was very immersive, and you really felt a part of the Brotherhood. The ending completely caught me off guard, and I really felt for Altair.

ACR - Started going back to the Assassin/Templar philosophical debate. Side characters were cool (even though I didn't know much about/care for the setting before the game), and I liked Yusuf as much as Leonardo. I liked the role Ezio played as a Mentor, who was usually one step away from the conflict. The romance stuff was brief but extremely believable. The missions that included the multiplayer characters were more developed, and they weren't just terrible husbands as they were in ACB.

ACB - Although the Templars were completely demonized in this game, they were still very interesting. Cesare was a mega-******r, his relationships with his sister and father were disturbing, and his role as Ezio's foil was illustrated well. Ezio himself, coming into control of the Brotherhood and virtually beginning the practice of recruiting members, showed interesting growth and had a good dynamic with Machiavelli. Christina missions hit me hard. Also, dat ending. The writing for the "modern" characters (particularly Shaun) didn't come off as well for me.

AC2 - I'm having a hard time even remembering it. The Prophet stuff was interesting, but we didn't get the payoff for it in this game. I thought the ruling Italian families could've been much further expanded upon, and it just didn't come across as being very significant. Side characters were really great. The ending was awesome as well.

Assassin_M
10-09-2012, 06:26 AM
Longer, is why people like it more..

Its a Cliche tale of revenge and we all know how people HATE cliches..

Evenesque
10-09-2012, 06:50 AM
I don't remember much of AC2. I just remember really enjoying it. As far as the story goes, I haven't really been attached to a specific one, but the originals was the one that stuck with me the most. That's because it was completely fresh at the time, and it was 2 shades outside of believable. AC2 felt like a well done focusing of a story decision, like Ubisoft wasn't satisfied that the guy who's on all the commercials didn't have enough history to him in the previous game or something, so they made him a full character with an origin that we are there to experience. I think people like AC2's story more because it's more of a character narrative than a conceptual exposition that was AC1. AC1 introduced us to a whole cavalcade of possibilities in a new universe, and AC2 took it to a personal level and gave us a classical story of personal revenge to give us a different angle.

masterfenix2009
10-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Well, I personally consider ACB and ACR all apart of AC2's story and I like those stories better than AC1.

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 07:25 AM
I liked it cause..

1. Bigger world (Than AC1)
2. More Vibrant and uplifting setting
3. Music
4. Ezios character model
5. Story
6. Voice acting
7. Length

:D

avk111
10-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Hello guys,

I disagree to a large extent, from what I can see atm the AC3 story is far better.

Comparing the stories to the cliche Heros Methology..

1-AC2: The stage where Ezio becomes an Assassin is very fast. From normal to Assassin took a very fast pace. At one moment he is just a boy at another he is an assassin.
1-AC3: The stage where Connor becomes an assassin took more than years and years. The "calling" started when he was a kid, his village got burnt, then it took him coupler of years and lots of training to become an assassin.
Note: In every hero story the boy become the hero after several years and experience, not in one moment. Thats why they call it hero journey.

2-AC2: The skills developed by Ezio were not that special, he already knew how to counter attack , it was just the dodge and the weapon steal.
2-AC3: The skills developed by Connor took him years and experience plus you can compare the difference between him being and assassin and when he was not.

3-AC2: The different lifestyle variety of Ezio was very broad on a bigger picture, locate enemy assassinate (the how was mixed)
3-AC3: There seems to be different ;lifestyle apprehended by Connor from what we saw. From assassin to captain,

Other points:

1- I dont like the fact that the motive for Ezio began with his parents death while he was wearing the assassins outfit. in the first story trailer for AC2 you can ezio not wearing the robe and then somehow that was altered. In the event that he was not wearing his assassin robe and the hero motive initiated then we would have truely experienced the suffering or the motive behind our hero. example: You never see Batman becomes brucewayne and then his parents get killed, you never see frank miller become the punisher before his family was assassinated.

AC3 will be a better step in terms of story.

Assassin_M
10-09-2012, 07:43 AM
Hello guys,

I disagree to a large extent, from what I can see atm the AC3 story is far better.

Comparing the stories to the cliche Heros Methology..

1-AC2: The stage where Ezio becomes an Assassin is very fast. From normal to Assassin took a very fast pace. At one moment he is just a boy at another he is an assassin.
1-AC3: The stage where Connor becomes an assassin took more than years and years. The "calling" started when he was a kid, his village got burnt, then it took him coupler of years and lots of training to become an assassin.
Note: In every hero story the boy become the hero after several years and experience, not in one moment. Thats why they call it hero journey.

2-AC2: The skills developed by Ezio were not that special, he already knew how to counter attack , it was just the dodge and the weapon steal.
2-AC3: The skills developed by Connor took him years and experience plus you can compare the difference between him being and assassin and when he was not.

3-AC2: The different lifestyle variety of Ezio was very broad on a bigger picture, locate enemy assassinate (the how was mixed)
3-AC3: There seems to be different ;lifestyle apprehended by Connor from what we saw. From assassin to captain,

Other points:

1- I dont like the fact that the motive for Ezio began with his parents death while he was wearing the assassins outfit. in the first story trailer for AC2 you can ezio not wearing the robe and then somehow that was altered. In the event that he was not wearing his assassin robe and the hero motive initiated then we would have truely experienced the suffering or the motive behind our hero. example: You never see Batman becomes brucewayne and then his parents get killed, you never see frank miller become the punisher before his family was assassinated.

AC3 will be a better step in terms of story.
You played AC III ??

dewgel
10-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Personally, I liked AC2 because it was my first real AC Game. I did own AC1 but I didn't finish it because of how annoying it got.

But AC2 was just so awesome, the beautiful cities, Florence was lovely, and then Venice. I love the Venice scenes. It was nice to follow Ezio through stuff.

As for the ruling Italian families, they're explained in quite enough depth, especially if you go through the database, there's a video narrated by Shaun for each conspirator.

However, I personally feel ACB was part of AC2's story.. Sort of like they felt "Yeah AC2 would be awesome to end here" even though they had much more to work with.. my only snag, ACB got crap when you get the Apple. And I mean crap.. it was so confusing. We were just bouncing from memory to memory and alot was very unclear.

I did love the Desmond in Brotherhood mind.. that was the best so far, where we got to do a bit of exploring the church and Monterigioni, and then the ending, that was neato.

avk111
10-09-2012, 07:49 AM
You played AC III ??
Nope I have researched the story though ;)

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 07:50 AM
You played AC III ??

Thats what I was thinking :|

Assassin_M
10-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Nope I have researched the story though ;)
don't you think you may be too excited ? We still don't know what abilities Connor starts with and how long it takes him to learn new ones..;)

avk111
10-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Thats what I was thinking :|
In the event your looking for "the-how-to" then we can proceed with your prespective. Respect

avk111
10-09-2012, 07:53 AM
don't you think you may be too excited ? We still don't know what abilities Connor starts with and how long it takes him to learn new ones..;)
agreed, however you do start the story as a kid, in addition the team have developed the story technicalities over the Ezio story, why else would they be marketting and throwing all their apples in Connor's basket ?

Assassin_M
10-09-2012, 07:54 AM
agreed, however you do start the story as a kid, in addition the team have developed the story technicalities over the Ezio story, why else would they be marketting and throwing all their apples in Connor's basket ?
They do the same for every game :|

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 07:54 AM
In the event your looking for "the-how-to" then we can proceed with your prespective. Respect

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9xz306FZm1r04hw7o1_1280.jpg

avk111
10-09-2012, 07:57 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9xz306FZm1r04hw7o1_1280.jpg

The picture is funny but I dont know what it implies or means :P

avk111
10-09-2012, 08:02 AM
They do the same for every game :|
Its a challenging job to make the audience love a whole new character, thus they are refreshing the story technicalities, not to mention the team are already have the brains to set a good plot. The AC2 challenge was how to improve over AC1 now the challenge is how to improve over AC2 (and between you and me AC2 was already good) so I hope the team is reading all of my posts now, and looking forward for a great AC3 isA. :)

Azurefeatherfly
10-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Altair was a character that proved difficult to emphasize with in 2007 when AC1 first came out, because Ubisoft was building the bare bones of the Universe that we have today. As of right now, Altair is a much more empathetic character after learning of the information from The Secret Crusade, The Codex, and various other forms of media. AC1 really did not do much to convince the player to lend a helping hand to Altair, and now there are players who have shed tears when they found out what was left of Altair under Maysaf. Oh, how far we have come.

Ezio gave players whether new or old the more engaging reason of revenge to invest the player into the Universe of Assassins and Templars. Losing one's family is something everyone can relate to and is a much easier context for players to connect with compared to Altair, who was not someone you could just walk up to and have a conversation with. AC2 was also longer and I think there is something quiet magical about the process of watching a teenage brat evolve into someone who thinks for himself (he abandoned revenge on Rodrigo) over the span of two decades or three if count Brotherhood and Revelations.

As for Connor, once again you start off with the tragic childhood of your way of life being crushed and the fact that he has Native American blood gives him a lot of reasons to voluntarily go on a journey that is going to spill a lot of blood. I think making sure that his people does not become the minority is something he will be very intense about, and of course we all know how that ends.

avk111
10-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Altair was a character that proved difficult to emphasize with in 2007 when AC1 first came out, because Ubisoft was building the bare bones of the Universe that we have today. As of right now, Altair is a much more empathetic character after learning of the information from The Secret Crusade, The Codex, and various other forms of media. AC1 really did not do much to convince the player to lend a helping hand to Altair, and now there are players who have shed tears when they found out what was left of Altair under Maysaf. Oh, how far we have come.

Ezio gave players whether new or old the more engaging reason of revenge to invest the player into the Universe of Assassins and Templars. Losing one's family is something everyone can relate to and is a much easier context for players to connect with compared to Altair, who was not someone you could just walk up to and have a conversation with. AC2 was also longer and I think there is something quiet magical about the process of watching a teenage brat evolve into someone who thinks for himself (he abandoned revenge on Rodrigo) over the span of two decades or three if count Brotherhood and Revelations.

As for Connor, once again you start off with the tragic childhood of your way of life being crushed and the fact that he has Native American blood gives him a lot of reasons to voluntarily go on a journey that is going to spill a lot of blood. I think making sure that his people does not become the minority is something he will be very intense about, and of course we all know how that ends.

Agreed but my personal opinion would have still prefered he found the robes after the family death and not before. How else we would relate to the character sufferiing /motive. Like I said Boy parents dies becomes hero , and not boy becomes hero then parents die. what do you think ?

Azurefeatherfly
10-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Agreed but my personal opinion would have still prefered he found the robes after the family death and not before. How else we would relate to the character sufferiing /motive. Like I said Boy parents dies becomes hero , and not boy becomes hero then parents die. what do you think ?

For Ezio, we had this awesome cutscene of Ezio putting that robe and sheathing the sword, then we get a reality check with his family being hanged and Ezio being able to do absolutely nothing. I actually liked the fact that he was weak and vulnerable even with the robe. It was great set up to show us that the robe does not make the Assassin rather the one wielding the blade does. Personal preference, I kind of liked it.

For Connor, I would prefer if both of his parents stayed alive even after his personal tragedy of village destruction. Giving him so much to fight for and protect is a great way to differentiate himself and makes his story all the more tragic when he eventually realizes the place that his people will have in the future of the land that he was raised on.

Assassin_M
10-09-2012, 08:30 AM
For Ezio, we had this awesome cutscene of Ezio putting that robe and sheathing the sword, then we get a reality check with his family being hanged and Ezio being able to do absolutely nothing. I actually liked the fact that he was weak and vulnerable even with the robe. It was great set up to show us that the robe does not make the Assassin rather the one wielding the blade does. Personal preference, I kind of liked it.

For Connor, I would prefer if both of his parents stayed alive even after his personal tragedy of village destruction. Giving him so much to fight for and protect is a great way to differentiate himself and makes his story all the tragic when he eventually realizes the place that his people will have in the future of the land that he was raised on.

Nah.. His Mother`s death would make for a greater connection with the character. and its something more people can relate to than the father dying. I know I will..

avk111
10-09-2012, 08:33 AM

For Connor, I would prefer if both of his parents stayed alive even after his personal tragedy of village destruction. Giving him so much to fight for and protect is a great way to differentiate himself and makes his story all the more tragic when he eventually realizes the place that his people will have in the future of the land that he was raised on.

Yeah well did you know that technically ... Ezio Never became an assassin untill he visited his Uncle in the Villa ? It was there that he knew "These are called Assassins Robes" :P

avk111
10-09-2012, 08:33 AM
Nah.. His Mother`s death would make for a greater connection with the character. and its something more people can relate to than the father dying. I know I will..

Agree , in addition to that Connor wearing his diapers so we can relate more :P

Azurefeatherfly
10-09-2012, 08:35 AM

Ironic you say that because Umar committed suicide and Giovanni got hanged, I just realized that. Who knows maybe Ubisoft will break the pattern this time. My personal preference would be for his mother and father to stay alive so that he can fight for his people instead his motives possibly being interpreted by other characters as revenge.

Yeah well did you know that technically ... Ezio Never became an assassin untill he visited his Uncle in the Villa ? It was there that he knew "These are called Assassins Robes" :P

Technically he got inducted as a member of the brotherhood in 1488 in Venice.

masterfenix2009
10-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Technically he was't an Assassin until he was initiated in Venice :P

projectpat06
10-09-2012, 08:36 AM

It's kind of like prison break. (spoilers for the show) Dad disappears from son's life, mother dies tragically impacting main character's life but makes the character stronger ultimately, father comes back into character's life after he's gotten into this war of secret organizations who both feel they are fighting for the greater good of the world but both oppose each other's methods, character learns that father was with one of said organization to oppose other which was his reason for leaving character as a child, and father tragically dies in character's arms

But....hopefully the part where mother is actually not dead and is instead a huge biotch working for the company (similar to the templars) won't happen.

avk111
10-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Technically he was't an Assassin until he was initiated in Venice :P

Oh yeah y0ur right let me paraphrase then, He never knew of his heritage and the "function" of these robes untill he visited his uncle Mario. So the moment he took them from the chest he probably thought they were civilian clothes. :)

avk111
10-09-2012, 08:41 AM
Oh yeah y0ur right let me paraphrase then, He never knew of his heritage and the "function" of these robes untill he visited his uncle Mario. So the moment he took them from the chest he probably thought they were civilian clothes. :)

Simpler example of spoiler + plot twist and I directly "Search yourself inside Luke , you know its true ... I AM your father"

avk111
10-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Ironic you say that because Umar committed suicide and Giovanni got hanged, I just realized that. Who knows maybe Ubisoft will break the pattern this time. My personal preference would be for his mother and father to stay alive so that he can fight for his people instead his motives possibly being interpreted by other characters as revenge.

Technically he got inducted as a member of the brotherhood in 1488 in Venice.

Thats a good point but still prefer someone dying to add motive to the character.

"Who killed Kenny? "

Assassin_M
10-09-2012, 08:43 AM
You shouldn't triple post, mate xD

avk111
10-09-2012, 08:45 AM
You shouldn't triple post, mate xD

You are right then I am excited for some reason :P

zhengyingli
10-09-2012, 09:56 AM
AC2 was not compact enough, for me. Anything from the beginning to the end of the Pazzi Conspiracy, I liked. Didn't like Venice all that much, as the events felt like filler material. The story did pick up near the end, so it wasn't a total slog. I would've preferred if Venice was switched out for Rome (even though Venice was gorgeous), as a chunk of Brotherhood also felt like filler. ACR's probably my favorite out of the Ezio trilogy due to its clear direction, but it was a little too short.

AC1 didn't have a lot to offer in terms of cinematic presentation, but the story itself was probably the most interesting one. In contrast, Ezio's entire story might have been a little too conventional, but pleasing to the eye.

Shaxy
10-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Well most people i see say AC2 is just better (Not just the story) I have not seen many people saying AC2 is better because of the story alone. Remember, AC2 was a ridiculously good upgrade in everything from AC1. I guess people were expecting the same sort of upgrade for ACB and ACR which is expecting a bit too much because you got to remember Ubisoft was working on AC3 in the shadows and the development time for ACB and ACR was much less.

So what's my take on it?

I prefer AC2's story for it's more personal feel. It's very personal for Ezio and it just feels more epic.
However, Ubisofts STORY-TELLING in ACR is far superior IMO.

Ielgon
10-09-2012, 11:24 AM
I think it is because many people feel AC2 to be more like the original AC (since Brotherhood changed so much gameplay wise) and because they just had good times with the very first part of the Ezio trilogy (remember: originally ACB and ACR weren't planned, it would just be AC1, AC2 and then AC3). The overall game felt more "magical"/special and new to a lot of us, ACB and ACR were just the yearly "reskin" of the previous game. Not bashing them, they're great games but they weren't as big a change as AC2 was and didn't really retain the feeling of AC1. Basically: AC2 evolved AC1 while keeping the same sort of feeling intact, ACB and ACR just changed a lot in every aspect gameplay and atmosphere wise. Also keep in mind that for a lot of people the first game they play from a series will always be their favorite/the special one. For a lot of people AC2 was the first.

This is probably also the reason why many people are a lot more excited about AC3. It feels like the next "real" Assassin's Creed game, but it also brings a leap as big (if not bigger) as AC2 was to AC1.

doogsy91
10-09-2012, 11:32 AM
For me I think it was more about the whole male fantasy thing. Except for the losing half your family part, what guy wouldn't want to be a young Ezio? Rich, attractive, great with the ladies and of course, an assassin, travelling through some of the most beautiful country/cities in world. Yes the story kind of wained in the middle as it became assassination after assassination but it took that more personal approach that AC1 lacked. There was no real meat to the story in AC1 between Altair's demotion and trying to assassinate Robert in Jerusalem (when Maria popped up). I no longer wanted to be Ezio in Brotherhood as he had become a bit of a bore to be frank and the story was mainly political and don't even get me started on Revelations... Mehest game ever.

Toa TAK
10-09-2012, 11:40 AM
I remember AC2 being the only game in the franchise I got bored with midway through. I just wasn't a huge fan of Italy, in that game, and while I loathed having to go back to Rome in ACB, it was a lot better in terms of the characters during Ezio's story there. In AC2 I was more interested with Desmond and Co. and TOWCB and the final boss with Rodrigo. Plus, I just wasn't into Ezio in AC2, I liked him a lot more as he developed and grew older in ACB and ACR. Yeah, ACB and ACR didn't have a "classic" AC story like 1 and 2, but I enjoyed them more than 2.

AC3 looks to be better then all of them though, and hopefully, they'll explore the themes of the first game again.

SixKeys
10-09-2012, 11:44 AM
I like the overall progression of the story coupled with the gameplay. It does a great job introducing each new element in a non-rushed and logical manner. In AC1, losing your weapons made sense, but you also somehow magically lost the ability to grab hold of ledges and how to steal from people, even though you had supposedly been doing it for years. The story and gameplay didn't logically explain how killing your targets suddenly made Alta´r regain those abilities. In AC2, you don't immediately know how to blend, Ezio has to "earn" that skill by first learning how to sneak past guards unnoticed while not knowing how to blend (when he goes to meet his father in prison). The way Mario gets angry at Ezio for not wanting to join the assassins at first and storms off to Tuscany is a great way to introduce the mercenary factions, as using them is Ezio's way of making amends with Mario and showing he's willing to cooperate, and so forth.

The story is also more unpredictable than in the other games. Every time I thought I was getting closer to Rodrigo Borgia, a new piece of the bigger conspiracy was revealed and it made me realize that just like for Ezio, the scope of this conspiracy was unimaginable even for the player. in AC1, you already know from the start that you're going to be killing 9 targets in total (the 10th is revealed only at the end). In ACB, you know your ultimate goal is Cesare. In ACR, there isn't even much assassinating going on, you only have a couple of main targets throughout the game. Ezio only cares about the Masyaf keys, he doesn't have a bigger part to play in the politics of Constantinople. In AC2, the Templar conspiracy was revealed bit by bit in unpredictable ways. Every time you thought you were almost done, you found you had only scratched the surface.

The way I see it, AC1 laid the groundwork for the overall story, but was emotionally distanced from the characters. AC2 expanded the scope of the story and gave us an easily relatable protagonist. ACB and ACR were more linear storywise and spent more time giving depth to the already existing characters.

avk111
10-09-2012, 03:05 PM
AC2 was not compact enough, for me. Anything from the beginning to the end of the Pazzi Conspiracy, I liked. Didn't like Venice all that much, as the events felt like filler material. The story did pick up near the end, so it wasn't a total slog. I would've preferred if Venice was switched out for Rome (even though Venice was gorgeous), as a chunk of Brotherhood also felt like filler. ACR's probably my favorite out of the Ezio trilogy due to its clear direction, but it was a little too short.

AC1 didn't have a lot to offer in terms of cinematic presentation, but the story itself was probably the most interesting one. In contrast, Ezio's entire story might have been a little too conventional, but pleasing to the eye.

Speaking of fillers, there was one main one I remember , the one with the carnivale mask where you had to steal ribbons, and race through rooftops, I thought the whole freerunning fad was a special trained person type of thing turns out its a known sport back in the days :P

SixKeys
10-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Speaking of fillers, there was one main one I remember , the one with the carnivale mask where you had to steal ribbons, and race through rooftops, I thought the whole freerunning fad was a special trained person type of thing turns out its a known sport back in the days :P

Not really. Ezio is the one who chose to start from the rooftops, probably to get a head start. The other guy started on the ground level and could only climb up by using ladders. The whole point of the race must have been that for a normal person it would have been a challenge to finish on the rooftop but for Ezio it was a cinch.

LoyalACFan
10-09-2012, 04:18 PM
To be honest, AC2's story was indeed a cliche, but what made it special was Ezio's character development. In most revenge tales, the hero gets what he came for and rides off into the sunset, with maybe a one-liner or two thrown in the mix. In AC2, we saw Ezio transform from a snarky teenager to a man who ultimately realizes he's part of a bigger picture. Letting Rodrigo live was a major curveball from your typical revenge plot, and the story became more about Ezio's realization of his real purpose; justice over vengeance. THAT is why I love AC2's story. AC1's was predictable, ACB's was forgettable, and ACR's didn't get good until 3/4 of the way through. So yeah, if Connor can even come close to replicating the kind of character development we saw in Ezio, I'll be a happy gamer.

Crouching.Tiger
10-09-2012, 04:44 PM
To be honest, AC2's story was indeed a cliche, but what made it special was Ezio's character development. In most revenge tales, the hero gets what he came for and rides off into the sunset, with maybe a one-liner or two thrown in the mix. In AC2, we saw Ezio transform from a snarky teenager to a man who ultimately realizes he's part of a bigger picture. Letting Rodrigo live was a major curveball from your typical revenge plot, and the story became more about Ezio's realization of his real purpose; justice over vengeance. THAT is why I love AC2's story. AC1's was predictable, ACB's was forgettable, and ACR's didn't get good until 3/4 of the way through. So yeah, if Connor can even come close to replicating the kind of character development we saw in Ezio, I'll be a happy gamer.

I agree, the fact that we followed Ezio over 30 years made us watch his character develop into maturity, and he also went to al ot of interesting places and historical events. I guess in that sense III has tried to return to II's formula, even if the story itself of course will be different. I also liked the Codex pages and The Truth puzzles, which I guess you could call part of the storyline.

Brotherhood didn't really feel like a standalone story, it felt like it was the conclusion of II's story, what with all the returning characters and continuation of the Borgia conspiracy and everything. I really got a feeling that Ubi wanted it to be part of II, but didn't have the time or space to put Rome in it.
Revelations didn't really catch me. Again, Ezio's character developed more, I liked the Alta´r parts, and the ending was really good, but I didn't really care for any of the new characters that much, except Sofia, which was part of a refreshingly non-cliche romantic subplot. Prince Ahmet was probably the least interesting "big" villain so far.

The very first Assassin's Creed was something special, I think. While the storyline seemed very simple ("We gotta kill those nine guys!") it had a lot of philosophical discussions between Alta´r and everyone else. It was very interesting story-wise, but wasn't that well implemented, as all those "philosophical cutscenes" (mainly with Al Mualim and dying targets) were virtually the same. It might've been to demanding to most players, I know I wanted to skip those scenes and just murder away sometimes.

twenty_glyphs
10-09-2012, 05:13 PM
I think a big part of why I connected with AC2's story so much was because of the way the story gradually took you and Ezio on a journey of discovery. I'll just never forget the early moments of exploring Florence with a young Ezio and how that really drew me into the story, setting and game. You find out more about the world of AC as Ezio does, and learn skills along with him. Also, finding and reading Alta´r's Codex made me appreciate Alta´r more and connect with the first game again. Tracking down the glyphs made me appreciate the modern-day story angle and the big picture of historical conspiracies within the game's universe. Seeing both Ezio and Desmond learning about a different piece of a big conspiracy was very engaging.

The AC2 story was also the longest of the series, and was never telegraphed. I think that made it feel fresh. All you know during the early parts of the story is that there is some kind of conspiracy and Ezio's family was killed to keep it from being revealed. The rest of the time you just track down targets and slowly reveal more of the story. The stories in AC1, Brotherhood and Revelations were all telegraphed to the player at the start, making them feel less fresh. In Brotherhood you know the goal is to get the Apple back from Cesare, and that's how it ends. In Revelations you know the goal is to find the 5 keys, and that's what happens. There aren't many important twists along the way that affect the ultimate outcome.

So far it sounds like AC3's story is going to be like AC2's in many ways. We should explore and discover the new setting along with Connor. It also sounds like the story is not going to be straightforward and will have several twists that affect or change the ultimate goal. Consider that we still don't know anything about the story's MacGuffin (plot device usually consisting of a desired goal or object) even now. When Brotherhood and Revelations were first announced, we already knew those stories' MacGuffins (Cesare's Apple and Alta´r's keys).

In fact, one criticism of AC2's story for me is that the true MacGuffin is not revealed until very late in the story -- the Apple, the Vault and to a lesser extent, the Codex. We're introduced to the Codex early, but we don't know until very late in the game that Rodrigo Borgia wants it as well, so it always felt a little secondary for me until that point. I also spent the entire game wondering when they were going to introduce a Piece of Eden, so it was disappointing that it took so long to get there. I think they should have revealed or at least hinted more about the Apple or Vault somewhere around halfway through the game instead of waiting until Sequence 12.

FirestarLuva
10-09-2012, 05:34 PM

Alex did say that Connor won't be the same character in the end like he was in the beginning.. so we can expect a massive character development from him. It has been mentioned by Ubi time and time again that Connor's character will have more depth than Ezio and Altair, and the Connor's Story Trailer practically confirmed it.
http://blogs.bettor.com/Assassin-Creed-3s-Connor-to-have-more-depth-than-Altair-and-Ezio-a144485