PDA

View Full Version : Crouching in AC3

MaceoniK
10-08-2012, 08:59 PM
From what I've seen so far in gameplay videos, whenever you walk into tallgrass or bushy areas, Connor automatically crouches... I have a bad feeling that this may become slightly annoying, as shown in this video @2:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUhenGU9G_CFZhIxAWvnbuKw&v=cyIY82NWbrM&feature=player_detailpage#t=140s

Your just walking along, you unintentionally step into one of these areas, and you crouch!?!... It just seems kind of ridiculous to me that the developers couldn't just assign the crouch animation to a button, so you can do it whenever you want!!

Am I just being pedantic or does anyone else feel the same?

Also crouching (on demand) in a lot of other games is used for stealthy sneaking up on or past enemies and generally staying out of the enemies line of sight, behind low cover etc,(e.g. - splinter cell). I would of thought such a simple thing would be included in a game as big as AC3, even though it wasn't included in previous AC games.

Assassin_M
10-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Doesn't annoy me, really..

If I see that area I`ll just avoid going there If I don't want to crouch..

Layytez
10-08-2012, 09:06 PM
It would be pretty hard to mistakenly go into the grass since it in specific areas.

MaceoniK
10-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Still seems stupid and annoying having to actively avoid certain areas, just cause you don't want to crouch!!!...

Assassin_M
10-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Still seems stupid and annoying having to actively avoid certain areas, just cause you don't want to crouch!!!...
Its not like the area is 2 acres of land or something..

Its small. What ? You`re gonna leave the entirety of the frontier and walk over that area ? xD

watch the video I used as an example.
I know it..

I know everything

Ielgon
10-08-2012, 09:18 PM
I agree that it's a weird design choice. Having to press a button to crouch in those areas (or even better: being able to crouch anytime you want) seems way more logical. The way it is implemented now isn't a huge deal though. Don't want to crouch? Avoid those areas. Need to escape quickly and see one of those areas? Get in it. Besides guards will probably be conveniently placed near them in the missions where they're part of the obvious path (just see the new fort gameplay from the EB expo and you will get the idea).

They've called them stalking zones since the beginning for a reason.

MaceoniK
10-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Its not like the area is 2 acres of land or something..

Its small. What ? You`re gonna leave the entirety of the frontier and walk over that area ? xD

Obviously not... I think I still have a good point.

Calvarok
10-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Obviously you won't crouch through them if you're running through them. and it's not every single bit of grass, only the stuff that is actually tall enough to hide you. I've seen video of Connor walking through what looked like a stalking zone without crouching, so I'm not sure if it is indeed an input. Maybe if you fast walk you don't crouch.

MaceoniK
10-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Obviously you won't crouch through them if you're running through them. and it's not every single bit of grass, only the stuff that is actually tall enough to hide you. I've seen video of Connor walking through what looked like a stalking zone without crouching, so I'm not sure if it is indeed an input. Maybe if you fast walk you don't crouch.

Obviously... and your prob right about fast walking

MaceoniK
10-08-2012, 09:30 PM
It would be pretty hard to mistakenly go into the grass since it in specific areas.

imonthenet
10-09-2012, 02:30 AM

I would put that down to his ability (or lack of), it would be much the same as accidentally walking into an pile of hay in the previous games

TheDanteEX
10-09-2012, 02:51 AM
It's just another form of blending. Besides, crouching has already been in the games since the first one. Crouching and being able to move has very little purpose in these games, dealing with social stealth and all. A man squatting and moving through a crowd is a little noticeable.

Jexx21
10-09-2012, 02:56 AM
not to mention that crouching in real life makes you louder...

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 07:32 AM
You are complaining about automatic stealth crouching... complain about Quick Time Events instead!

MaceoniK
10-09-2012, 03:54 PM
You are complaining about automatic stealth crouching... complain about Quick Time Events instead!

I was going too, but I think it's already been covered on this fourum... other than these two thing's, the game looks amazing!

LightRey
10-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Isn't tall grass just another form of a stalking zone?

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Isn't tall grass just another form of a stalking zone?

What do you mean?

LightRey
10-09-2012, 04:13 PM
What do you mean?
http://www.pcgamer.com/tag/the-stalking-zone/

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Still don't get it.

LoyalACFan
10-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Still don't get it.

Stalking zones are basically hiding spots you can move around in. They function pretty much the same way as a hay bale, but they're larger and you can move freely in them to sneak up on guards who might be walking in or around the tall grass.

Slayer_WTF
10-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I do not understand why they do things by halves..

I have yet to figure out if you can crouch when you want it.

LoyalACFan
10-09-2012, 04:52 PM
I do not understand why they do things by halves..

I have yet to figure out if you can crouch when you want it.

No. You can't. And it wouldn't make sense if you could.

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 04:54 PM
Stalking zones are basically hiding spots you can move around in. They function pretty much the same way as a hay bale, but they're larger and you can move freely in them to sneak up on guards who might be walking in or around the tall grass.

I know what stalking zones are haha

Slayer_WTF
10-09-2012, 04:56 PM
No. You can't. And it wouldn't make sense if you could.

And why? Sessions stealth go behind an enemy walking and whistling? Let me understand this. lol

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 04:59 PM
And why? Sessions stealth go behind an enemy walking and whistling? Let me understand this. lol

You used to be good at grammar, what happened to you o.O

Slayer_WTF
10-09-2012, 04:59 PM
You used to be good at grammar, what happened to you o.O

Translator, not my fault. :p

LoyalACFan
10-09-2012, 05:04 PM

Crouching is louder, slower, and more difficult than just walking.

LightRey
10-09-2012, 05:09 PM
I know what stalking zones are haha
Then what's not to get?

Slayer_WTF
10-09-2012, 05:15 PM

No, it's stupid to see Connor walking during infiltration. This allows you to not even take cover behind low walls, great..

However, in the demo we saw Connor crouch normally:

http://i47.tinypic.com/14m6s28.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/23mo505.jpg

That's strange.

Evenesque
10-09-2012, 05:19 PM
I would have bought the game if it's only difference from AC Revelations was a toggle crouch button.

And to the above poster, the first picture is him walking on a narrow piece of terrain covered by snow. So that's not him crouching just for the hell of it, like in the bottom picture.

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Then what's not to get?

I don't know... what is going on... so all I am going to say is STALKING ZONES FTW!

MaceoniK
10-09-2012, 11:51 PM
No, it's stupid to see Connor walking during infiltration. This allows you to not even take cover behind low walls, great..

That's strange.

I totally agree!, crouching should be used for generally staying out of the enemies line of sight.

Also in a lot of other games crouching is used for quietly sneaking up on enemies (E.g. - splinter cell), in previous AC games when you wanted to do this, you could only casually walk up behind them... not really good for player acting and realism.

Good to see evidence of Connor crouching in the second image though!!!:)

shanethebouncer
10-10-2012, 01:08 AM
Does anyone know if you can disable the indicator that appears above an enemies head when they attack you?

MaceoniK
10-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Does anyone know if you can disable the indicator that appears above an enemies head when they attack you?

No one will know that till they actually play the game and look at the hud options in the pause menu... I suspect not.

Assassin_M
10-10-2012, 01:54 AM
No one will know that till they actually play the game and look at the hud options in the pause menu... I suspect not.

Because you`re Cynical:)

have faith, young grass hopper

AltairCBM
10-10-2012, 01:55 AM

That's strange.

That's a good example, I hope this remains in game.

AllThatJuice
10-10-2012, 02:42 AM
tbh why else would you want to walk into a bush, unless you want to hide?

MaceoniK
10-10-2012, 12:50 PM
tbh why else would you want to walk into a bush, unless you want to hide?

Maybe just to get to the other side of the bush???

connor_bg
10-10-2012, 12:58 PM

I fully agree with the point of this thread. I will be really mad if this is not manually controlled, but seeing it being automated. Almost all of the true stealth games allow you to manually control crouching, which is one of the core elements of the genre being stealth.

BeCk41
10-10-2012, 01:01 PM
I didn't even notice him crouching in the video, I was too entranced watching Connor navigate around tree branches. xD

JarodRussel2012
10-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Shouldn't have been too troublesome to map a context sensitive button to the crouching. When you're in a stalking zone, next to a rock or on a rooftop, press 'O' to crouch.

MaceoniK
10-10-2012, 01:51 PM

"Crouching is louder" ???... in most other games with a stealth component, when you toggle crouch and gently move the left analog stick, you enter a sneaking animation which allows you to move around slower and quieter (stealthily).

"slower"... thats the point.

"more difficult than just walking"???

pacmanate
10-10-2012, 01:53 PM

You could in other AC games, it was under SSI in the HUD options so you will be able to take away the indicators, obviously

I fully agree with the point of this thread. I will be really mad if this is not manually controlled, but seeing it being automated. Almost all of the true stealth games allow you to manually control crouching, which is one of the core elements of the genre being stealth.

It probably is to an extent. I think you auto crouch when you walk into the bushes, but I think if you hold down the running button you can continue to run through them? Just a thought.

MaceoniK
10-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Shouldn't have been too troublesome to map a context sensitive button to the crouching. When you're in a stalking zone, next to a rock or on a rooftop, press 'O' to crouch.

Should be even less troublesome to map a button to crouching whenever you want.

MaceoniK
10-10-2012, 02:07 PM
It probably is to an extent. I think you auto crouch when you walk into the bushes, but I think if you hold down the running button you can continue to run through them? Just a thought.

Obviously you can just run through these "stalking zones" if you don't want to crouch and just get to the other side, but that's not the point... Crouching shouldn't be exclusive to "stalking zones", what if you you want to duck out of sight behind low cover or sneak up quietly on an enemy???

pacmanate
10-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Obviously you can just run through these "stalking zones" if you don't want to crouch and just get to the other side, but that's not the point... Crouching shouldn't be exclusive to "stalking zones", what if you you want to duck out of sight behind low cover or sneak up quietly on an enemy???

Yeah.. no idea. They probably don't have enough buttons to assign everything haha.

Escappa
10-10-2012, 04:27 PM
But in forntier demo, Connor can run throught the zone after he killed the deer.

LoyalACFan
10-10-2012, 08:32 PM
"Crouching is louder" ???... in most other games with a stealth component, when you toggle crouch and gently move the left analog stick, you enter a sneaking animation which allows you to move around slower and quieter (stealthily).

"slower"... thats the point.

"more difficult than just walking"???

"Most other games" are wrong. It's one of my pet peeves, especially about Batman. You can crouch down and practically jog in total silence. It's stupid. When you're crouched, you don't have as much control over how much force you put your foot down with, because your center of gravity is awkwardly placed and you'll be more likely to lose your balance.

"Slower"... no, that's not the point. Why hinder yourself by trying to squat down and crouch-walk for no reason? If you want to duck out of an enemy's line of sight, you can. You've always been able to in AC games. But there's no need to be able to move around while doing it.

And "more difficult than walking"... Yes. It is. I dunno what else to say. Try squatting down and walking across your front lawn, and then tell me walking wouldn't be easier.

pacmanate
10-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Crouch walking is bloody hard

Dieinthedark
10-10-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't think it'll be that big of deal. I'll avoid it when I don't want to and I presume you can run through it as well

projectpat06
10-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Crouching Connor, Hidden Assassin.

pacmanate
10-10-2012, 10:40 PM
At least we can dino walk :)

MaceoniK
10-10-2012, 11:06 PM
"Most other games" are wrong. It's one of my pet peeves, especially about Batman. You can crouch down and practically jog in total silence. It's stupid. When you're crouched, you don't have as much control over how much force you put your foot down with, because your center of gravity is awkwardly placed and you'll be more likely to lose your balance.

"Slower"... no, that's not the point. Why hinder yourself by trying to squat down and crouch-walk for no reason? If you want to duck out of an enemy's line of sight, you can. You've always been able to in AC games. But there's no need to be able to move around while doing it.

And "more difficult than walking"... Yes. It is. I dunno what else to say. Try squatting down and walking across your front lawn, and then tell me walking wouldn't be easier.

I think the problem is... your thinking of something like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NjnnkhS2fuE#t=13s.

Whereas I'm thinking... not exactly but something like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GJwx2a7oOz4 for the purpose of quietly sneaking up on or past unsuspecting enemies.
So when you toggle crouch, your in the squat position but when you move you start the sneaking animation (like in hitman blood money), so "slower" is the point, as you don't want to make any noise. It would look a lot more realistic than just casually walking up behind someone to plunge a hidden blade in there back.

As for there being a need to move around while ducking out of sight, to avoid being spotted by enemy... I think it's pretty obvious.

imonthenet
10-10-2012, 11:42 PM
At least we can dino walk :)

That is all I ever wanted from this game! ;)

TheDanteEX
10-11-2012, 01:03 AM
As long as you're out of the enemy's line-of-sight and you actually ease up on the control stick, you'll be sneaking up on your target. It's always been like that, however, there's no animation for it. Why make a new button just so you can perform the same action with a different animation? Assassin's Creed is designed for what actions your character can perform, so believe me, you won't be needing to tip-toe.

LoyalACFan
10-11-2012, 04:31 AM
I think the problem is... your thinking of something like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NjnnkhS2fuE#t=13s.

Whereas I'm thinking... not exactly but something like this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GJwx2a7oOz4 for the purpose of quietly sneaking up on or past unsuspecting enemies.
So when you toggle crouch, your in the squat position but when you move you start the sneaking animation (like in hitman blood money), so "slower" is the point, as you don't want to make any noise. It would look a lot more realistic than just casually walking up behind someone to plunge a hidden blade in there back.

As for there being a need to move around while ducking out of sight, to avoid being spotted by enemy... I think it's pretty obvious.

That animation looks like something out of Scooby-Doo. Sorry man, I'm just not with you on this one. Almost all of the guards you have to kill are walking pretty briskly on patrol routes, so being slow while trying to get close to them would be detrimental. I just don't see a need for it at all.

MaceoniK
10-11-2012, 01:02 PM
That animation looks like something out of Scooby-Doo. Sorry man, I'm just not with you on this one. Almost all of the guards you have to kill are walking pretty briskly on patrol routes, so being slow while trying to get close to them would be detrimental. I just don't see a need for it at all.

Admittedly the animation I used as an example, does look quite cartoonish but I did say "not exactly, but something like this" and I went on to say "like in hitman blood money" so...

As for your comment about guards walking around briskly so being slow would be detrimental... for the most part in AC games your right, but in certain situations like the tombs in AC2 or guards on roof tops etc, I think it's needed for overall realism, general player acting and integration in the game.

MaceoniK
10-12-2012, 02:05 PM
I think this section of the latest "making of AC3" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b5bqQPVRpXU#t=290s confirmes no manual crouching:(

LoyalACFan
10-12-2012, 09:48 PM
I think this section of the latest "making of AC3" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=b5bqQPVRpXU#t=290s confirmes no manual crouching:(

And some guy on the front page has the game early for review purposes, and he confirmed it as well.

TrueStoic
10-13-2012, 01:16 PM
You see a bush, right?
and are you honestly gona walk into it if youre not chased or somethin?

pacmanate
10-13-2012, 02:33 PM
You see a bush, right?
and are you honestly gona walk into it if youre not chased or somethin?

Maybe :rolleyes:

Soulid_Snake
10-13-2012, 10:48 PM
From what I've seen so far in gameplay videos, whenever you walk into tallgrass or bushy areas, Connor automatically crouches... I have a bad feeling that this may become slightly annoying, as shown in this video @2:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUhenGU9G_CFZhIxAWvnbuKw&v=cyIY82NWbrM&feature=player_detailpage#t=140s

Your just walking along, you unintentionally step into one of these areas, and you crouch!?!... It just seems kind of ridiculous to me that the developers couldn't just assign the crouch animation to a button, so you can do it whenever you want!!

Am I just being pedantic or does anyone else feel the same?

Also crouching (on demand) in a lot of other games is used for stealthy sneaking up on or past enemies and generally staying out of the enemies line of sight, behind low cover etc,(e.g. - splinter cell). I would of thought such a simple thing would be included in a game as big as AC3, even though it wasn't included in previous AC games.

I see where your coming from, I wouldn't feel annoyed, but disappointed. It should really have a dedicated button, what if you wanted/needed to run across long grass.

BlankDistortion
10-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Alright, let me inform all of you just in case it hasn't been said yet. Here is my spoiler alert now, as this was released not by Ubisoft, but a Magazine writer that was able to play the game early. Here we go.

When you see the bushes or tall grasses, you don't crouch as soon as you enter them. According to the guy, the use the 'Fast Walk' button in those grasses and you will crouch down into them. Anywhere else, the fast walk is normal. This brings the assumption that one can sprint through the tall grasses and bushes, as well as walk normally. This is probably the case with the Wheat fields in the game, as there Ratonhnhaké:ton walking normally in the tall wheat.