PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Ranged Enemies... Still Awkward?

tjbyrum1
10-08-2012, 05:54 PM
After playing AC Brotherhood and AC Revelations, fighting ranged enemies was extremely awkward. Not hard, awkward. You engage in combat with 5 people who have crossbows/arquebruisers, and they always back up, and you're unable to reach them, they shoot you and Ezio always stumbled back... I cn't explain it good, it just wasn't put together good enough.

Those who understand what I'm talking about will agree with me.

But in the videos I've seen, all enemies with guns aim, shoot (but you can block them with a meatshield) and then engage in melee combat... is this always the case, or will it still have the awkwardness the other games had?

iI ElitePred Ii
10-08-2012, 06:10 PM
To me it will still be awkward due to the fact that you have to grab a meat shield every time you fight a group of enemies.

connor_bg
10-08-2012, 06:34 PM
I understand you though. Akward for ACB, yes cause the game doesn't let your lock to focus on ranged persons with your ranged arsenal to countershot. But in ACR ubi noticed that and when you engage only ranged (musket) guys and you hold the ranged weapon the game always will pull the more distant enemies to be counter shot in a group mixed with both mele/ranged or hybrid like janissaries.

You can also counter shot during an execution streak in ACR, so im 1000% sure that this feature is brought back and the meatshield won't be the only alternative to protect yourself from bullets. And it is more logical that way because the ranged attacks will break your streak, your meatshielding also will break the streak, so if you hold the tool button with a pistol equipped (the AC3's version of tool= secondary weapon, pistol) you can chain without breaking the chain with the counter shots. Altrough the ACR's counter shots during streaks looked plain, so i guess they improved the countershots with new animations in the new game.

pacmanate
10-08-2012, 06:38 PM
From Platform32's videos which I have watched so many times this is what happens.

1. 10 guards are round you, you back off to an area.
2. 3 guards attack you and the other 7 make a circle around the fight
3. After dispatching 1 or 2 enemies that are attacking you, the others from the circle come in

So no, I don't think ranged combat will be awkward anymore :D also we have that rope dart we can use like spiderman to pull someone closer :D

connor_bg
10-08-2012, 06:48 PM
From Platform32's videos which I have watched so many times this is what happens.

1. 10 guards are round you, you back off to an area.
2. 3 guards attack you and the other 7 make a circle around the fight
3. After dispatching 1 or 2 enemies that are attacking you, the others from the circle come in

So no, I don't think ranged combat will be awkward anymore :D also we have that rope dart we can use like spiderman to pull someone closer :D

This is not something new... In ACB and ACR if you fight large amount of people there is always a group of 4 who are "active" in preparation ot attack (in most rare moments there are 5). So if you kill 2
the other from the "backup zone" 2 guards advance forward to replace the two killed persons (sometimes in janissary archetype the "active" enemies who are badly wounded are replaced by the backuping group, not only when they are killed).
About "1." you dont need to necessarily go to secluded area, if there is large amount of enemies, they will be always 4 active attackers no matter where you are.
"2."- Thats are 10 guards so that means 10 minus 4 active= 6 guards in the backup zone, not 3.

pacmanate
10-08-2012, 06:54 PM
"2."- Thats are 10 guards so that means 10 minus 4 active= 6 guards in the backup zone, not 3.

10 - 3 = 7... And thats just my analysis of it. Also, in AC:R some guards just stayed back, the Janissaries, and then got their guns out like pussys.

connor_bg
10-08-2012, 07:02 PM
You are not paying attention to what i typed do you? If 10 people are attacking you there will always be 4 active guards to attack you not 3. And the shooting janissaries are out of the context right now, but still those "shooting"janissaries are counted towards the active attacking people in the group, it really doesn't matter the distance they are from you. Enemy's health indicator top of their head indicates that those people are active, those that dont have are from the backuping group, but they can switch with the active.
I play with SSI turned off since the SSI can glitch about responding who is active.

Ielgon
10-08-2012, 09:21 PM
You could counter ranged attacks in Revelations!? That was the one thing that annoyed me greatly about the combat which they made "harder" (while just adding Jannisaries who tried to shoot you every 3 seconds which was just annoying).

DeSabellis
10-09-2012, 04:08 AM
A realistic explanation for why a group of guards surrounding you won't shoot you is because of the worry that they might, and probably will miss you and hit someone else instead. Also, the muskets at the time were not rifled, meaning that their bullets were typically not fitted to the barrel and liable to vary in trajectory for each shot, hence they were called muskets and not rifles. This coupled with the fact that they were long and heavy would mean that the odds of leveling a rifle at a particular moving object and actually placing a shot were slim to none. And then there is the reload time.

So- not shooting someone at close range with that kind of firearm would make sense, which is why most soliders were trained to use their bayonets effectively.

As far as Revelations being awkward, yes I felt that way as well, but the videos for AC3 seem to have corrected that problem as best as they could. I don't really have many doubts about AC3 though.

Calvarok
10-09-2012, 04:19 AM
From what I've seen enemies are way more aggressive in melee, so I don' mind if they're not always shooting.

dewgel
10-09-2012, 07:53 AM
The idea is this time around that you are supposed to sneak up from above on ranged enemies in the Frontier to get the advantage and stop them from trying to shoot you. If you simply run up, they'll get into formation and gun you down.