PDA

View Full Version : Quick Time Events

Saberine97
10-08-2012, 12:21 PM
With all this recent Gameplay footage I've noticed that while fighting animals (wolves, elks) the game brings you into quick time events.
I am not really a fan of this and I think what was in the E3 Frontier demo was much better (where the button you had to press was above Connors shoulder and you just pressed it instead of a QTE)
I am also not a fan of the animus helping you with Animal tracking/ hunting that I've heard about. I think it would be awesome if you could turn that off in the menu xD
Other than that, I see nothing bad about the game. SO HYPED :D!

pacmanate
10-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Quick time events are horrible. I always had a vision of a bear running at me and me fleeing up a tree. Now I will just be locked into place. I don't like it at all.

Saberine97
10-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Me too, I hope that Ubisoft makes it more free for when the game comes out.

pacmanate
10-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Me too, I hope that Ubisoft makes it more free for when the game comes out.

It went Gold 2 weeks ago. We are stuck with quick time events. I always wanted a bear to attack me, run up a tree, and then air assassinate it :|

andreja110s
10-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Same here. I hate it that you can´t escape, but you have to fight -_-

Mr_Shade
10-08-2012, 01:29 PM
It went Gold 2 weeks ago. We are stuck with quick time events. I always wanted a bear to attack me, run up a tree, and then air assassinate it :|
Well remember when the game is out - to post your thoughts on the events ;)

We will have plenty of threads concerning feedback - so please make the most of them ;)

If you make a clean kill when hunting - you should avoid any QTE - but as you say the random animal encounters appear to have the QTE's

PaCmAn0894
10-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Yeah assassinate an bear from high tree or spot should be cool but i dont think it passable. :(

PaCmAn0894
10-08-2012, 01:34 PM
also when you shot your first arrow you immediately enter into the fight quick event i am right??

Legendz54
10-08-2012, 01:35 PM
Quick time events are horrible. I always had a vision of a bear running at me and me fleeing up a tree. Now I will just be locked into place. I don't like it at all.

Well you could try to stand right next to a tree when confronting a bear, it only locks in to QTE when the animals are about 2 meters away, so there still may be hope. I have a strong feeling that in the next AC they will remove QTE for animals.

Legendz54
10-08-2012, 01:37 PM
also when you shot your first arrow you immediately enter into the fight quick event i am right??

No, it only locks into QTE when the animal gets really close to you.. So it gives you some time to run/ climb a tree or do whatever.

pacmanate
10-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Well remember when the game is out - to post your thoughts on the events ;)

We will have plenty of threads concerning feedback - so please make the most of them ;)

If you make a clean kill when hunting - you should avoid any QTE - but as you say the random animal encounters appear to have the QTE's

It is the only thing that irritates me and I know reviewers will pick on this so much.

Well you could try to stand right next to a tree when confronting a bear, it only locks in to QTE when the animals are about 2 meters away, so there still may be hope. I have a strong feeling that in the next AC they will remove QTE for animals.

They should have made a system where when you are locked on to an animal you can roll left or right to dodge their charges and then attack them from behind or something.

Legendz54
10-08-2012, 01:44 PM
No, it only locks into QTE when the animal gets really close to you.. So it gives you some time to run/ climb a tree or do whatever.

It is the only thing that irritates me and I know reviewers will pick on this so much.

They should have made a system where when you are locked on to an animal you can roll left or right to dodge their charges and then attack them from behind or something.

The irritating thing is they used to have that system... In the frontier demo he can dodge the wolves, but now it's just click the right button catch the wolf and stab... Why would they do this when the previous system was much better... Why??

pacmanate
10-08-2012, 01:57 PM
The irritating thing is they used to have that system... In the frontier demo he can dodge the wolves, but now it's just click the right button catch the wolf and stab... Why would they do this when the previous system was much better... Why??

Exactly man I know, it makes no sense. You should never be locked into a space, it takes away your freedom! It will also be annoying it game aswell as everything will be easy and every animal encounter will end the same way. Unless you are crap at hitting buttons. Whereas with the old system, you could run around being chased by wolves and get some high ground and pick them off from there, or even just shoot them to death. Now it is just Counter, Kill, for everything.

AnthonyA85
10-08-2012, 01:58 PM
They probably decided to go with the QTE system because they couldn't get the old system to work quite right or something, like for the same reason they cut the New York fire from the game as a playable event, because they couldn't get the AI to work quite how they wanted.

So maybe the old system wasn't working as well as they wanted with every animal capable of defending itself.

Dejan507
10-08-2012, 02:07 PM
They cut out the New York fire?? Ah crap..

But yeah, I really dislike the QTE thing, looks out of place for a game like this..

pacmanate
10-08-2012, 02:10 PM
They cut out the New York fire?? Ah crap..

But yeah, I really dislike the QTE thing, looks out of place for a game like this..

Which is why it is going to get picked on. I can see reviewers saying it limits freedom or something, which it does.

AnthonyA85
10-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Yeah, Connor doesn't go to New York until AFTER the fire, they originally planned to have him go during the fire, but they couldn't get the AI to work how they wanted, so they took it out as a playable event.

I'll reserve what i think of the QTEs until after i've tried them, but i know i'll probably try and keep the fights to a minimum if the QTE is all i can do with animals that can defend themselves.

I just know that the professional reviewers, and the game sites, are gonna dock the game a few points for the QTEs

berserker134
10-08-2012, 02:20 PM
yeah, connor doesn't go to new york until after the fire, they originally planned to have him go during the fire, but they couldn't get the ai to work how they wanted, so they took it out as a playable event.

I'll reserve what i think of the qtes until after i've tried them, but i know i'll probably try and keep the fights to a minimum if the qte is all i can do with animals that can defend themselves.

I just know that the professional reviewers, and the game sites, are gonna dock the game a few points for the qtes

i need to know if dats true im really obsessed wit thid game scince the start ive been reading every article, watching every video and interviews and none have given this info!!!

P.S. i mean of the new york stuff!!!

AnthonyA85
10-08-2012, 02:26 PM
Alex Hutchinson talked about cutting the Fire from the game during a Q and A session at Gamescom/Eurogamer, i don't have the link to the vid at the moment, but it is on the forums somewhere, most likely in one of the video threads.

pacmanate
10-08-2012, 02:30 PM
It is true, they couldn't get the AI to react properly to the fire. Personally I think its because the fire looked crap.

berserker134
10-08-2012, 03:25 PM
It is true, they couldn't get the AI to react properly to the fire. Personally I think its because the fire looked crap.

Thanks but dayummmmm i wanted to play during the fire escaping from the city maybe???

kriegerdesgottes
10-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Yea I'm not a huge fan of what they have done to the controls in general but maybe it won't be so bad. Also I have seen a couple times that slow mo is still in there and I hate that too.

Mr_Shade
10-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I'll be sure to make them aware of the current feeling about the QTE's ;)

RzaRecta357
10-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Guess UBI didn't notice how most people HATE QTE's. It's basically killed RE6 for that VERY reason. Regardless.... I like them when what you are seeing is cool. I'm sure the animal attacks will look cool.

Once or twice.

naran6142
10-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Wait so how do we know that we will be locked in a QTE?

It doesnt really make sense not to have the option to run away, cuz what if the player is crappy at QTEs, then their screwed...

pacmanate
10-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Yea I'm not a huge fan of what they have done to the controls in general but maybe it won't be so bad. Also I have seen a couple times that slow mo is still in there and I hate that too.

Swear you can turn that off.

Wait so how do we know that we will be locked in a QTE?

It doesnt really make sense not to have the option to run away, cuz what if the player is crappy at QTEs, then their screwed...

Because you can see it happen in several videos. From what I have seen, you get quiet a while to press the buttons. Regardless if you crap, they will be the same each time for that animal so it won't take long to remember them. Although no one should be that crap at reactions if you play an AC game.

ACfan443
10-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I HATE THE QTEs I HATE THE QTEs I HATE THE QTEs I HATE THE QTEs

Please let Aleissia and her animal team know that Mr. Shade :)

P.s something tells me you're not that fond of them either...

pacmanate
10-08-2012, 05:08 PM
I doubt anyone is fond of QTE, they are cheap.

Edit: GAH. This is annoying me so much. They go and build a wonderful frontier, populate it with animals to catch and skin and whatever, and then they ruin it by adding in quick time events!

Assassin_M
10-08-2012, 05:13 PM
I`ll annoy you some more...

I`m not bothered..

naran6142
10-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Swear you can turn that off.

Because you can see it happen in several videos. From what I have seen, you get quiet a while to press the buttons. Regardless if you crap, they will be the same each time for that animal so it won't take long to remember them. Although no one should be that crap at reactions if you play an AC game.

Maybe they just want to show off the animal combat stuff, so the player didnt run away?

ACfan443
10-08-2012, 05:17 PM
I doubt anyone is fond of QTE, they are cheap.

Edit: GAH. This is annoying me so much. They go and build a wonderful frontier, populate it with animals to catch and skin and whatever, and then they ruin it by adding in quick time events!

AND the annoying thing is, you could actually properly go into combat with the animals before (I'm sure you've seen that in the E3 demo) I really liked it the way the counter prompt would show up on screen. I don't know why they removed that system, it gave a sense of realistic combat. I don't like the sound of being locked in place.

D.I.D.
10-08-2012, 05:23 PM
I'll be sure to make them aware of the current feeling about the QTE's ;)

I think they already know! The howling about the infamous plummet in ACR would surely have sealed that one if they somehow weren't aware of the distaste for QTEs already.

That said, I think they can serve a purpose in the right situation. I found the combat in "I Am Alive" really irritating at first, but once you face the most complicated situations the game has to offer it becomes quite an interesting device. I'll never enjoy tap-tap-tapping a button to make an event happen when it's strictly do it or die, but the time aspect can have value, as it did in that game. Engaging one enemy in melee required you to be busy with that struggle, which then left you open to attack from other NPCs. You had to think carefully about use of threats (and picking out the enemies that were particularly worth threatening) too.

However, I'd rather see some kind of skill requirement - maybe a rhythm system, or some specific movements you have to make with the analogue stick, rather than the mashing of AC or the circles of RE6.

freddie_1897
10-08-2012, 05:27 PM
in just cause 2 i liked the quick time events to hack computers. and although everyone said it was a bad idea for hijacking, what else are they gonna do except for just having them thrown out straight away?

anyway, i really hope AC3 is without QTE's

adarwinter
10-08-2012, 06:19 PM
as far as i understand the player is not locked into a standing position until the animal attacks.

im just guessing but it seems like when fighting an animal you move freely like always and so does the animal but once it attacks connor needs to evade it. the moment where connor must evade slows down and the camera changes position to a more cinematic one and instead of taping the dodge button you tap a sequence of buttons.
so it seems to me that there is no QTE until connor MUST evade. when the animal walks around and gets ready for another charge connor can do as he pleases. i hope.

personally i would've ALSO perfered that there would be no change in perspective, no cinematic camera and no button prompts. just a need to roll sideways at the precise time or counter (to grab the horns of the elk, for example). keep the mechanics consistent.

nitres15
10-08-2012, 06:29 PM
im alright, as long as im allowed to exit them whenever i want. Imagine how annoying it would be to chase your target and then BAAM, and elk was in the way and now you´re locked/stuck in a QTE

bluetoes1
10-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Sorry Ubisoft, but this is extremely sloppy and careless work. Everything about the game is absolutely brilliant, and perfect. This is the only downside of the game. It's unskillful, boring, limited, and repetitive. It won't be ANY fun to fight ANY animal in the entire frontier if taking it head on. Not entirely sure why Ubisoft thought Quick Time Events was a good idea, because 99% of the gaming community HATE them with a passion. They serve no purpose in the majority of games. Assassin's Creed is one series that should not have any quick time events in any section, because it immediately ruins the section they are strapped on to.

This will really affect review scores, and is a huge shame because Assassin's Creed 3 should be getting extremely high scores, but at this rate it will knock quite a few points off. They should at the very LEAST give us the old system shown in the frontier demo, where you are able to freely move around, and even shoot. None of that is even possible in this sloppy last minute addon they made, that absolutely everyone dislikes. What a shame, Ubisoft. This completely ruins animal combat, It will only be fun to stealth kill animals (I would stealth kill pretty much any and all animals, but some might creep up behind you and then you become locked in a broken quit time event system).

Layytez
10-08-2012, 06:52 PM
So you all hate QTE's ? Can someone explain to me how you would fight a bear head normally on considering how much health they take from you ?

MetalCreed
Yeah but you don't necessarily die if you fail to press the buttons required to succeed in the QT events, do you?

pacmanate
^ 100% agree with you. This game so far from what we know/seen would be flawless, if not for QTE. Ubisoft have ruined it themselves.

D.I.D.
10-08-2012, 07:04 PM
So you all hate QTE's ? Can someone explain to me how you would fight a bear head normally on considering how much health they take from you ?

We don't know if it's going to be really significant until we play it, but obviously the ideal thing is to make everything happen in normal movement, with some kind of timing-reliant dodge/attack system.

If it does have to be abstract, there are more rewarding ways of doing QTEs other than repetitive tapping. You could have a controllable spot and a moving shape which appear, that you have to line up and hit at the right time in order to execute the move; at least then it would feel like your skill was involved in triggering the predetermined animation.

POP1Fan
10-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Yathzee is not going to like this for sure! xD

projectpat06
10-09-2012, 08:23 AM
I'm pretty sure we saw the QTE's in the original frontier demo with the wolves. You see the circle icon pop up when Connor goes to dodge the wolves just like the B button pops up in the moose/elk demo. Connor then proceeds to shoot the wolves circling him after he dodges them which I bet we can still do. Not too worried about the QTE's as it's just a more complicated way to dodge and strike back that keeps us on our toes when the animal attacks. I'm sure we can still attack anytime after the animal doesn't charge or have the chance to escape. Doubt we can outrun a cougar though. Bears, cougars, wolves, and elk may be the only one we have to use the QTE's since they may be the only ones to attack.

masterfenix2009
10-09-2012, 08:32 AM
I actually am fond of QTE's. Though, usually only in cutscenes and boss fights. Makes the battle more realistic and drawn into the game.

True_Assassin92
10-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Well maybe it might be optional. I remember Star Wars the force unleashed having it too, but you could either choose to kill it normally without starting the QTE.

Saberine97
10-09-2012, 08:40 AM
I just watched the videos with QTE's again and it does seem as if they only lock you into place just before the animal hits you, so hopefully you are completely free before that.

Assassin_M
10-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I just watched the videos with QTE's again and it does seem as if they only lock you into place just before the animal hits you, so hopefully you are completely free before that.
It IS that way..

Dunno why people were freaking out..

Saberine97
10-09-2012, 08:53 AM
It IS that way..

Dunno why people were freaking out..

Well the reason I got concerned was because in the gameplay they show Connor is pretty much standing still until the animals attack him. This caused me to believe that you were stuck in place constantly, but with a little more research I have come to my previously mentioned conclusion.

Assassin_M
10-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Well the reason I got concerned was because in the gameplay they show Connor is pretty much standing still until the animals attack him. This caused me to believe that you were stuck in place constantly, but with a little more research I have come to my previously mentioned conclusion.
I understand, but people are just... I dunno... quick ?

They see something..and they panic xD

Saberine97
10-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Indeed, although I did not make this forum to display panic but to give my feedback to Ubisoft and hopefully contribute to improving the game :D

Aphex_Tim
10-09-2012, 11:08 AM
I feel like i'm the only person in the world who really doesn't mind QTEs at all.

Saberine97
10-09-2012, 11:09 AM
I feel like i'm the only person in the world who really doesn't mind QTEs at all.

I don't mind QTE's I was just worried that Ubisoft had made it that you are completely stuck in one position while in combat with an animal.

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 01:56 PM

Because there are always better alternatives to QTE. For instance, animals attacking, just let us roll out the way.

SixKeys
10-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Not to mention QTEs are incredibly annoying for PC players. Especially if the devs don't bother changing the corresponding console buttons to keyboard keys like in AC2.

InfamousQ1987
10-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Sorry Ubisoft, but this is extremely sloppy and careless work. Everything about the game is absolutely brilliant, and perfect. This is the only downside of the game. It's unskillful, boring, limited, and repetitive. It won't be ANY fun to fight ANY animal in the entire frontier if taking it head on. Not entirely sure why Ubisoft thought Quick Time Events was a good idea, because 99% of the gaming community HATE them with a passion. They serve no purpose in the majority of games. Assassin's Creed is one series that should not have any quick time events in any section, because it immediately ruins the section they are strapped on to.

This will really affect review scores, and is a huge shame because Assassin's Creed 3 should be getting extremely high scores, but at this rate it will knock quite a few points off. They should at the very LEAST give us the old system shown in the frontier demo, where you are able to freely move around, and even shoot. None of that is even possible in this sloppy last minute addon they made, that absolutely everyone dislikes. What a shame, Ubisoft. This completely ruins animal combat, It will only be fun to stealth kill animals (I would stealth kill pretty much any and all animals, but some might creep up behind you and then you become locked in a broken quit time event system).

Just because someone dislikes QTE's does not mean it is broken. This thread is full of assumptions, as to how hunting works... Who knows? Maybe only large animals ( Bears Elk's) have QTE's and smaller animals ( Wolf's) will have a dodge prompt on screen. Nobody knows until the game is released, but the fact that we have animals is awesome. I just highly doubt there are QTE's for about 30 different animals.

imagine a QTE to kill a racoon... Lol
I think they are limited to larger animals is my "assumption", and if that is the case I'm not bothered at all. I guess we'll find out on release day/morning ;P

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 04:13 PM

Just because someone dislikes QTE's does not mean it is broken. This thread is full of assumptions, as to how hunting works... Who knows? Maybe only large animals ( Bears Elk's) have QTE's and smaller animals ( Wolf's) will have a dodge prompt on screen. Nobody knows until the game is released, but the fact that we have animals is awesome. I just highly doubt there are QTE's for about 30 different animals.

imagine a QTE to kill a racoon... Lol
I think they are limited to larger animals is my "assumption", and if that is the case I'm not bothered at all. I guess we'll find out on release day/morning ;P

There wouldn't and isn't a quicktime for a racoon as racoons wouldn't attack you.

LightRey
10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I don't like QTE's, but this doesn't seem that big of a deal to me. As far as I'm concerned, even if I find them annoying, I'll simply be doing my best to avoid them, which it seems shouldn't be too hard if you apply the right tactics.

LoyalACFan
10-09-2012, 04:44 PM
I don't like QTE's, but this doesn't seem that big of a deal to me. As far as I'm concerned, even if I find them annoying, I'll simply be doing my best to avoid them, which it seems shouldn't be too hard if you apply the right tactics.

Exactly. It's not as if the QTE triggers as soon as the animal appears onscreen. It only shows up when you absolutely HAVE to dodge to avoid dying. You still have plenty of time to get away and run into a tree or whatever if you want.

Mrnilsman
10-09-2012, 07:25 PM
First of all i don't like QTE neither but complaining about all these little things ( this bow animation thread was ridiculous ) might ruin the whole experience so stop being so nitpicky ;)

Layytez
10-09-2012, 07:40 PM
I think QTE's are limited to aggressive animals.

Rogue Agent 035
10-09-2012, 07:44 PM
This will most definately anger quite a few fellow posters an I don't mean any dis-respect, but for the life of me I can't understand why so many ppl are ruined by seemingly insignifigant things as the graphics or the animations, or the eagle vison/sense don't look right, or in this case the QTE. I mean come on ppl..., the game hasn't even come out yet an there seems to be more an more negative things (least that I'm seein) said about AC3 an in my opinion there way too trivial to base the play/no play, buy/no buy on those seemingly minor discomfort. Granted, I know there are some who have played the demo at a show an can say that I'm wrong an that's fine, I respect that, but for us fans who have been with this franchise since... what.... 2007 (I think that's when AC1 came on-scene) to hear something negative before the final verdict can be given as by the whole assassins community really gets under my skin.

Rogue Agent 035

pacmanate
10-09-2012, 07:59 PM
This will most definately anger quite a few fellow posters an I don't mean any dis-respect, but for the life of me I can't understand why so many ppl are ruined by seemingly insignifigant things as the graphics or the animations, or the eagle vison/sense don't look right, or in this case the QTE. I mean come on ppl..., the game hasn't even come out yet an there seems to be more an more negative things (least that I'm seein) said about AC3 an in my opinion there way too trivial to base the play/no play, buy/no buy on those seemingly minor discomfort. Granted, I know there are some who have played the demo at a show an can say that I'm wrong an that's fine, I respect that, but for us fans who have been with this franchise since... what.... 2007 (I think that's when AC1 came on-scene) to hear something negative before the final verdict can be given as by the whole assassins community really gets under my skin.

Rogue Agent 035

Honestly this is the ONLY thing I know about that I do not like. I just don't like being locked into place.

Locopells
10-09-2012, 08:03 PM
I don't mind QTE's I was just worried that Ubisoft had made it that you are completely stuck in one position while in combat with an animal.

I think that's only if you're dumb enough to stand still and let them get close enough for the QTE to trigger. If they jump you unexpectedly, well that’s another matter.

LeoMessi10i
10-09-2012, 08:33 PM
I just hope it will be like in the frontier with the wolves where you start out having a change to take the animals out with your weapons and then if not i will trigger a quick time event.